Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2008, 18:48   #196
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post
As far as I know, the 1.9 MJD uses the same engine block as that of the erstwhile Palio 1.9 D. So, that part is solved, because if I remember correctly, Fiat was manufacturing 1.9D in India itself. Fiat needs to import other components and assemble the engine here. Not that difficult a task as it is made out to be, in my opinion! But, whether the volumes justify such an effort is the big question mark... But, in my opinion, either the 1.6 or 1.9 MJD will be a good fit in this car, simply because you can easily get more torque out of these engines and that is what really matters in a diesel car.
1.9 in the linea would be an overkill simply because it wont be as fuel efficient as the other diesel sedans around. Ideally a 1.6 Diesel hits the sweet spot for both resonable performance and good efficiency.
Old 3rd April 2008, 19:58   #197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
1.9 in the linea would be an overkill simply because it wont be as fuel efficient as the other diesel sedans around. Ideally a 1.6 Diesel hits the sweet spot for both resonable performance and good efficiency.
I would love even the lowest end 1.6 JTD with 105 horses and 26 kgm of torque. Maybe, Fiat can introduce this as a "Sport" version. According to ACI, they were testing it at Sweden anyways...
Old 3rd April 2008, 20:07   #198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
when is Linea coming to India? I am looking to buy a sedan under 10L and really tired of waiting for Linea!
5 years after they launch the Palio hybrid 5 years from now.
Old 3rd April 2008, 20:16   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
5 years after they launch the Palio hybrid 5 years from now.
Actually they have been spot on with the Palio 1.3 MJD launch. So lets hope they do the same with the Linea and the Grande Punto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
According to reports, Palio 1.3 JTD would be launched in March'08, then Linea by mid 2008, followed by Grande Punto JTD end of 2008!
Old 4th April 2008, 09:14   #200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Actually they have been spot on with the Palio 1.3 MJD launch. So lets hope they do the same with the Linea and the Grande Punto.
hmm.... they release a an MJD 1+ years after Maruti released one. I currently own the Palio and i love the build and ride (smooth even after 6+ years) and would like to buy a similar package. I really need a second car and i am fighting the temptation to buy a City/Dezire

July is 3 months away.. If i can hold my horses...
Old 7th April 2008, 13:22   #201
Senior - BHPian

Linea. The last chance for Fiat?

The automotive history in India is replete with blunders committed by Fiat. However, Linea seems to be providing Fiat with one more chance to redeem itself, stand up once again and be counted among India’s successful car makers. They just have to get it right this time on all fronts.

The car looks excellent and well proportioned, without any sore spots. They just have to price it right and launch the diesel version FIRST. Established players like Maruti can launch petrol version of Swift first and yet sell it like hot cakes. But today Fiat does not have this luxury of people eating out of its hand. So if they launch petrol version first and if it bombs then even if they launch a diesel version a few months down the road, it won’t take off as the word of petrol Linea’s failure would have entrenched firmly on Indian minds who have all along been skeptical about Fiat products. Similar thing also happened to Optra. Never a hot seller in petrol version, it failed to take off even in its diesel “avatar”.

The Linea may be technologically superior to many sedans available right now in India, but Fiat will just have to price it VERY VERY competitively to win some customers, for a change. THEY JUST HAVE TO FIGHT THE TEMPTATION OF PRICING IT HIGH. They may be European, but they will have to act like Korean on price front, for once at least. It’s about time Fiat got their due in Indian market, somehow. If Linea doesn’t sell. then nothing from the house of Fiat will. Because, in my opinion, it’s the best looking car they have rolled out in decades. Linea can make or break Fiat fortunes in India. Now it’s up to Fiat how it plays its cards here. My best wishes to them.
Old 7th April 2008, 15:02   #202
BHPian

Instead of importing Bravo and 500 they should concentrate on launching Linea and Punto first (Practically)
Old 7th April 2008, 15:09   #203
Senior - BHPian

quite an emotional burst there . But I totally agree with you. Fiat needs to put up a competitive pricing, to revitalize its standing here.
Old 7th April 2008, 15:20   #204
Senior - BHPian

Sure what you say has it's points BUT would the Indian car buyer bite the Linea bait even if it's competitively priced? Would he be willing to forgive Fiat's past blunders for the Linea?

Consider this. If the Dzire was Chevrolet Dzire , Ford Dzire or Fiat Dzire, would it get the kind of response the Maruti-Suzuki Dzire got?
Old 7th April 2008, 16:43   #205
Senior - BHPian

Fiat always had good products in its lineup at least in India.But the sad portion was that the dealers were not up to the mark.Now when the dealers are there in place with the active support of TATA the products are taking its own sweet time to be launched.Last month the Palio petrols also registered good sale in the wake of the diesel launch.
Hope they bring in the Linea soon and with an mjd heart so that sale would pick up from day one.
ram
Old 7th April 2008, 16:59   #206
BHPian

Does anyone here have any update on the transmission they are planning to introduce with Linea here in India. I believe there is something like a semi automatic transmission in it. Anyone may please, throw some light on this aspect.
Old 7th April 2008, 17:02   #207
Senior - BHPian

All Fiat fans are dying for the launch of Punto & Linea . I dont think they should price like the Koreans( as koreans are not that VFM cars like before).
They should price it like our very own Maruti . Fiat should now try to work on improving *** before the launch of Linea. Its sad to hear that Tata sales people are not giving much attention to Fiat cars . Fiat better do something on the marketing front too!!
Old 7th April 2008, 18:43   #208
Senior - BHPian

Bijoy Kumar from BS Motoring is back after attending Linea premier at Istanbul. Here's the report:

Top Story - The Istanbul brief - Business Standard Motoring

120 BHP FIRE-1.4 Turbo Petrol is the version he recommends.
Incidentally, Tata-Fiat have already announced they'll make this engine at Ranjangaon.
Old 7th April 2008, 19:08   #209
Senior - BHPian

If the above were true, then what are the chances that the 1.4 petrol would make its way into the new Indica/Indigo..purely speculative, but not impossible.

Also read elsewhere that Maruti do not have immediate plans for a diesel SX4. If Fiat plays its diesel card right, Linea can effectively compete with the Fiesta/Verna. It also has the advantage of being a slightly bigger car than its competitors.
Old 7th April 2008, 19:19   #210
BHPian

Quote:
Also read elsewhere that Maruti do not have immediate plans for a diesel SX4
Maruti may not launch diesel SX4 till the all new honda city is launched.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks