Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2023, 17:34   #586
BHPian

Re: The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manumaniac View Post
Does it make sense to buy a 2019 alturas G4 in 2023?
4x4 Costing 21L (can get it down hopefully!).
Was looking at endeavours, but costs are skyrocket high!!
IMHO, if the vehicle is maintained perfectly, then yes. Else, it would be a pain. Spares are becoming difficult with Mahindra coming out of the JV. I would exercise caution.

Also some of the internals are Mercedes sourced, so you need to be cautious about getting a vehicle that is out of warranty.
Old 17th August 2023, 05:37   #587
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30

Folks,
A while ago, while choosing a vehicle for myself, had managed a very long test drive of the Mahindra Alturas G4 and posted it on the Choosing an SUV thread. Have not really been too active on the forum and missed out on mentioning on this thread.

It is a very extensive Test Drive Report, with some details on it's steering setup, torque and power curves (they have not been easily available); and more.

Link to the series of posts here.

A short summary extract quoted below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Whom has the Ssangyong Rexton G4 aimed at?

The approach towards interiors is of luxury. Could make a Fortuner look rather utilitarian. This one is pretty good off-road based on the videos I saw online. The one linked below is it trying out some rough terrain with a Toyota LC Prado. However, it is not seem to be ideal one for off-road conditions either, based on it’s approach and departure angles.

While it is good on off-road situations, as seen in the video below, I really think it is not made for hardcore off-road. It appears to be targeted for those who go into rough terrain, and for the somewhat affluent rural folk in counties like Australia and UK. It is good for camp-sites, and semi-formed rural terrain. It has a towing capacity of 3500kgs, which would put many to shame, despite it’s engine only being 2200cc. It is also good on tarmac. So, I think they designed it to be fairly good for different surfaces, without totally excelling in any – a good balance. It also has interior quality which is way better than what one might expect at the price. Think of it as a “poor man’s” Range Rover from a decade ago with a BoF structure, maybe? The screenshot below brought a smile.

Attachment 2409133

In India, it works as a highway cruiser; also well suited for the affluent who live in, or need to travel regularly on broken roads and a BoF vehicle is useful. Some of the Asian reviews too talked of it as the Asian Range Rover or Mercedes (perhaps a part of the media-handout in those countries).

Mahindra Alturas G4 (Ssangyong Rexton G4 - Y400) - Summary
  • Though not to everyone’s taste, I find it an understated exterior design with much sophistication, with some flourishes in the interior (tan+black) makes it a plush looking car. Well appointed interiors, a class above competition.
  • Large on the outside, wide on the inside too; second row legroom though adequate, not as much as size suggests. Second row headroom could be an issue for tall folks due to sunroof-protrusion. Third row only for kids, shorter people, or occasional use.
  • High floor; tedious ingress-egress as many tall vehicles; not ideal for back issues or older adults. Overall, good ergonomics – armrests, soft touches, seat adjustments (lacks lumbar support) etc.
  • Road surface and it’s small undulations are usually felt - not a typically push ride; yet a confident ride due to it handling bigger undulations very well. High speeds improves ride a whole lot.
  • It is in the zone over about 75kmph, with good feel, much improved ride, good dynamics. One really connects with the vehicle a lot better at higher speeds.
  • Except smaller undulations at city-speeds, a very good suspension with good comfort and, for it’s height, excellent control, composure, handling and even high speed agility. Good for the city, great for the highway.
  • (Likely) Has a ‘special’ steering – an Electro-Hydraulic Steering – one which allows you to get low speed comfort, yet get higher speed feel, feedback, and connect. More feel at lower speeds desired. Would not tire you in long highway or city drives.
  • AT is one used in the S-Class Mercs untill 2017; is almost seamless at gentle cruising speeds, but is unpredictable and slow when one wants to rush and floor the accelerator. Not sporty.
  • Scored 5 stars in KNCAP (Korean NCAP)
(Almost) Closing Comments

I am not particularly impressed by the looks of the newer international version, the Y450, which is loud and somewhat resembles the MG Gloster, thanks to it’s oversized front grille and proportions. The Alturas G4 (Ssangyong Rexton G4 – Y400) is one vehicle, I felt, which has character. The kind which does not need to announce it’s presence, while being reassured of it’s personality – something I truly love, in both, cars and people; enough for me to write up as much on this, despite it being recently discontinued - a bit of a tribute to this one.

Looking Ahead - The Future of Ssangyong and Alturas

I say this from memory and based on some talks with people in the industry, so do not take these as set in stone. Ssangyong had almost gone bankrupt (not uncommon in the car world at all), but IIRC it is under some form of protection under Korean Laws which saves it by government intervention, and ended up under Court Receivership. There was a US based company which Mahindra was selling it's stake to (some bus company, IIRC), but it didn't go through. Now a consortium is expected to invest in it, and as far as I know Mahindra has limited say in the matter due to how the laws are structured. It is up to the courts and the Ssangyong management. Who knows that like the previous attempt, this too does not go through, and Mahindra benefits from the engineering maturity Ssangyong has, with a renewed partnership, potentially bringing us vehicles which are well made in sensible money. While I do hope for this, it probably is wishful thinking.

Mahindra picked up much from the Ssangyong Rexton G4/Alturas G4 in developing the XUV700 and even more so the Scorpio N (which, to me, came across partly as a cheaper and less mature version/copy of the Alturas G4 with changes for the Indian market.)
Yes, I know it has been discontinued; a pity.
Poitive is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks