Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2018, 08:42   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
re: SsangYong Rexton (Y400) to be sold as Mahindra Alturas G4 in India

Personally, I don't think the XUV will face the same fate as the Rexton. I think there is a huge void in the full-size SUV space for a vehicle that comes in the high 20 lakhs a low 30 lakhs range. If Mahindra can meet this price point, they have a chance of making this succeed.

But, if Mahindra prices it too close to the Ford/Toyota, then they have a problem on their hand. They need to price it aggressively and get market share. They also need to ensure that there is proper training for service personnel and sufficient stock of spares.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 13th October 2018 at 06:45. Reason: Typo.
4x4addict is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2018, 09:03   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I think there is a huge void in the full-size SUV space for a vehicle that comes in the high 20 lakhs a low 30 lakhs range. If Mahidra can meet this price point, they have a chance of making this succeed.

But, if Mahindra prices it too close to the Ford/Toyota, then they have a problem on their hand. They need to price it aggressively and get market share. They also need to ensure that there is proper training for service personnel and sufficient stock of spares.
True. After owning XUV500 for 5 yrs, was not able to meet my criteria for next SUV with any of the existing cars other than another XUV (AWD, ESP, AUTO, 7 SEATS, Powerful engine, OTR max around 30L etc). Finally have to stretch and went for Endy. If priced attractive, surely they have a hit in their hands. The other reason I don't want to opt for Mahindra is their pathetic service after my favourite service centre has shut their doors. Inspite of Mahindra known for aggressive initial pricing, somehow i had a feel their top end would be priced closer to Endy/Fortuner ( around 10-12% lesser) plus the advantage of higher fuel efficiency.

Edit: Hexa is a serious contender inspite of non availability of AWD/ESP in Auto variant given its huge cost advantage, but don't want to compromise on any of the requirements.

Last edited by Surprise : 24th September 2018 at 09:05.
Surprise is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2018, 11:21   #108
R_R
BHPian

I think the Rexton/Y-400/XUV-700 need to be priced around the Compass/MU-X range for it to be a hit (in terms of numbers sold). Anything above that, they are in Fortuner/Endeavour territory, and I doubt they'll be able to pull it off, unless they simply want it up there symbolically as their top-ender. On the other hand, comparing UK prices, my expectation is that the top version will be in the mid-30 Ls, OTR. Doubt they will be able to reduce it very much.
R_R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2018, 13:37   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

Interiors of the Mahindra SUV spied,

The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30-1.jpg

The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30-3.jpg

The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30-2.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 11th October 2018 at 13:38.
volkman10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th October 2018, 18:28   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Mahindra Y400 to launch on November 19, 2018

Quote:
Mahindra is likely to price the model at around Rs 22 lakh (ex-showroom) for the lower-spec variant.
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 12th October 2018 at 18:29.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2018, 18:44   #111
Senior - BHPian

If they price their top end by Rs.8-10L lesser from Endy & Fortuner, surely they will see respectable numbers. There is a void between XUV/HEXA to Endy/Fortuner & hopefully this will fit in.
Surprise is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2018, 21:12   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
If they price their top end by Rs.8-10L lesser from Endy & Fortuner
If they are competing with the Endeavour and Forutuner, they wouldn't undercut them by that much.

If you sell something that functionally a similar product, you should sell it at a higher, equal or slightly lower price. If you price it significantly lower, the customer automatically assumes that there are some cost-cutting measures.

Classic example: Google pixel series vs the old Nexus series.
Old 12th October 2018, 22:09   #113
BHPian

A lot depends on how well Mahindra is able to hide/mask the fact this is, in reality, a Ssangyong. Enthusiasts will already know this is a Ssangyong and will take an educated decision whether to buy it or not. Others may not warm up to this once they realise it is a Ssangyong in Mahindra clothing.
Old 13th October 2018, 10:17   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORPION View Post
A lot depends on how well Mahindra is able to hide/mask the fact this is, in reality, a Ssangyong. Enthusiasts will already know this is a Ssangyong and will take an educated decision whether to buy it or not. Others may not warm up to this once they realise it is a Ssangyong in Mahindra clothing.
Just out of curiosity, what's wrong with a Ssangyong?
I haven't really been reading a lot of ownership threads lately...
Old 13th October 2018, 11:11   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyk View Post
Just out of curiosity, what's wrong with a Ssangyong?
I haven't really been reading a lot of ownership threads lately...
Nothing is wrong with a Ssangyong as such. I have used Ssangyong taxis in S. Korea and Singapore and always found them nice, plush and comfortable inside. None of them would ever win a beauty contest for sure.

Mahindra's first innings with the Rexton was an utter failure. The name was unheard of in India. I am not talking of automobile lovers here. The name had a distinct, 'Chinese' twang to it. Nobody wanted a Chinese car. I don't think Mahindra managed to sell more than a couple of thousand Rextons in India. And the few they sold, they were not able to offer satisfactory service experience. Owners complained about lack of competence dealing with the car, with regard to troubleshooting, delay in procuring spare parts, long stints in the ASC, etc.

Based on the first generation ML, the car itself was outdated, not a great looker and an average handler. Interiors were ok and the engine was reasonably powerful. So enthusiasts too stayed away. During a test drive, I found a peculiar problem - take a U-turn and you expect the steering to recentre without much effort from you. In that car, I had to literally steer it back to head straight. Caught me off guard indeed. SA told me the Rexton is like that and I later discovered Ssangyongs have this issue with their steering system. Owners can throw more light on this, if I am mistaken.

But this new Rexton, the Y400, looks really nice for a Ssangyong. Even otherwise, it looks really good and i like the design except near the D pillar which reminds me of the old design. Interiors too look good, plush and well equipped. Engine is quite powerful. That is why I said enthusiasts will take an educated decision although I hear the handling is not all that great, like before.
Old 15th October 2018, 10:04   #116
BHPian

Waiting eagerly for the launch. I might upgrade my XUV 500 to this next year if it is reasonably priced.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 15th October 2018 at 19:40. Reason: Quoted post deleted.
Old 15th October 2018, 10:44   #117
BHPian

I think, if priced around 30 lakhs, this should be a good buy as in, VFM. The Endeavour and the Fortuner don't have much more to offer except may be better off road capabilities and being better known brands. Marginally better road presence in the Endeavour, may be. At 1960mm, it is almost 10 cms wider than the Endeavour! It should come pretty well loaded and should be comparable, if not better, than the other two. As per ACI report, the engine is not all that punchy as it may seem on paper, although it is pretty refined and the interiors are really good with quality materials. Being a 2.2, this should be able to offer better fuel efficiency too. Reliability wise, I think it should be as good as Ford although, from past experience, Mahindra service centres have not been competent enough with the Rexton which always received a step son kind of treatment. This being marketed as a Mahindra probably means Mahindra has more to lose and the guys are better trained now.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 15th October 2018 at 19:42. Reason: Removing the bits related to the rash driving video. Thanks.
Old 15th October 2018, 16:46   #118
R_R
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORPION View Post
The Endeavour and the Fortuner don't have much more to offer except may be better off road capabilities and being better known brands.
As I pointed out in a previous post a couple of weeks back, the Rexton has pretty impressive off-road capabilities. It won three awards from the 4x4 magazine, including not only the "Best Value" and overall "4x4 of the Year" award but also won the Off-Roader class award. We'll have to wait until the Indian version is tested against Endeavour, Fortuner and especially the V-Cross (in terms of pure off-road ability in a large vehicle), but I do think this will be an impressive vehicle. But if OTR price touches Rs. 30L, I think it might run into some problems because of the second factor, which is I agree with: folks may not want to pay that much for a Mahindra/SY Rexton as "premium" models.

Link to 4x4 magazine story here.
Old 15th October 2018, 17:21   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_R View Post
It won three awards from the 4x4 magazine, including not only the "Best Value" and overall "4x4 of the Year" award but also won the Off-Roader class award.
I think the link you posted is for 4x4 magazine, UK. It is a market where neither the Everest nor the Fortuner are available. The link doesn't give you details of how it won the award and what vehicles it was compared with. So I would take it with a pinch of salt.

Ford and Toyota are well known to make rugged off roaders and for someone buying an Endeavour or a Fortuner, going off road could be a valid reason to buy them. No one would buy a Ssangyong if off roading was one of the priorities and a 4x2 Rexton should do equally well in India. However, if Mahindra is able to sell it as a Mahindra, then the added 4x4 capabilities could tip the scales in their favour since they have a history of making good off roaders in India.
Old 15th October 2018, 17:55   #120
Team-BHP Support

Just one thing, the upcoming Rexton and the MU-X have to stay just above the current XUV's price to be relevant in our market. Anything above and people won't even think before plonking in for the Ford or the Toyota.

Mahindra/Isuzu should look at Jeep Compass's price and take a cue, everyone wants to buy one but almost all get dissuaded by its price.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks