Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2018, 22:53   #151
Senior - BHPian

re: SsangYong Rexton (Y400) to be sold as Mahindra Alturas G4 in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Alturas G4??? Sounds more like a tyre name to my ears than a car's name. Wouldn't you agree?

Also, what's with the G4? That sounds more like a variant badge than a car name. Mahindra should have stuck to their "O"s in my opinion.
ACI says the Alturas is to come in 2 variants, G2 is the base 2 wheel drive and G4 is the top of the line with all bells and whistles and 4X4, may be they're saying the booking are open for the top of the line G4 variant.
Durango Dude is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th November 2018, 10:17   #152
Senior - BHPian

Guess no one noticed the Ssangyong brand. Never saw too many Rextons on the road. Is this car built in India or imported as either as CKD or CBU?

They better price it aggressively- but will customers in this segment (to whom brand image matters) buy a Mahindra? The XUV created a new segment for itself, this car is going to compete in a segment which has 2 formidable offerings in the Fortuner and Endeavour.

Unless Mahindra can get a good MT gearbox, they better forget about it and purely focus on AT. The XUV gearbox(MT) is acceptable, not great.

Agree with GTO that M&M should have stuck with their naming tradition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayofLife View Post
2.0 ltr engine producing 349 Nm of torque and 225 BHP of power. Waiting for the "just 2 ltr engine?" and "no low-end grunt" comments 😁
I'm actually saying wow! Putting the Tucson (182 BHP/400 Nm from a 2.0) in perspective.
Old 6th November 2018, 10:50   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayofLife View Post
2.0 ltr engine producing 349 Nm of torque and 225 BHP of power. Waiting for the "just 2 ltr engine?" and "no low-end grunt" comments 😁
Those figures are for the petrol engine. We are, at least for the time being, getting only the diesel engine.
Old 6th November 2018, 11:06   #154
Distinguished - BHPian

They have taken way too long to launch this product, it already looks old and does not go with the aggressive design of their other vehicles (this maybe a good thing according to some people). Now that both competitors are ready for a facelift, G4 will not do anything to dent their sales, unless they undercut the price heavily in which case Honda CRV and Kodiaq will pay the price, and the market for premium SUV will expand.

If they do not undercut the pricing , the casualty of its arrival (apart from itself) will be MU-X , I have no doubt that G4 will provide a much better driving experience than the Isuzu.

Knowing Mahindra , I think the challenge will be to get the vehicle back from servicing without grease stains all over.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2018, 16:41   #155
Distinguished - BHPian

When news of TATA Harrier launching only in the MT variant initially here is news of Mahindra launching the Alturas only in an AT avatar

Quote:
Mahindra Alturas G4 To Be Offered Only With An Automatic Transmission

To be launched on November 24, the Mahindra Alturas G4 SUV will be offered only with an automatic transmission and in two variants with AWD as optional.
Quote:
SUV will be offered in four colour options - New Pearl White, Napoli Black, Lakeside Brown, and Dsat Silver - All of which will be available on both trims.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 6th November 2018 at 16:43.
volkman10 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th November 2018, 14:34   #156
BHPian

I think the key will be pricing.
Mahindra vehicles, though reliable overall, already come with their tiny niggles that are a pain to deal with.
XUV successfully fought it's way into the market because it was a good design offering value for money, and Rexton failed because the value it offered wasn't enough for a customer to compromise on the badge.

Hopefully Mahindra has learned the lesson and will offer enough features and undercut their competition enough to make up for the little inconveniences of owning one of their cars.

Also, happy Diwali, y'all!
sleepyk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2018, 18:28   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
They have taken way too long to launch this product, it already looks old and does not go with the aggressive design of their other vehicles (this maybe a good thing according to some people).
Mahindra has been very cautious these days, even the Marazzo launch was delayed. However a good product came out at a competitive price. Also, it will be much earlier than the Harrier 7 seater avatar.

Quote:
Now that both competitors are ready for a facelift, G4 will not do anything to dent their sales, unless they undercut the price heavily in which case Honda CRV and Kodiaq will pay the price, and the market for premium SUV will expand.
While anyone would look for an attractive price-tag, even in India no car succeeds solely because of this, while opposite is also true (overpricing may kill a capable product in a target segment). So, what is important is target segment and people know in given target segment how much such cars are sold. Kodiaq positioning is a good example.

At last, I'm really puzzled by these Indian manufacturers' love for tongue-twisting foreign names! Is Indian language(s) vocabulary that poor with 100s of languages!

Last edited by kbishwa : 8th November 2018 at 18:31. Reason: Grammar
kbishwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2018, 20:05   #158
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbishwa View Post
Mahindra has been very cautious these days, even the Marazzo launch was delayed. However a good product came out at a competitive price. Also, it will be much earlier than the Harrier 7 seater avatar.

While anyone would look for an attractive price-tag, even in India no car succeeds solely because of this, while opposite is also true (overpricing may kill a capable product in a target segment). So, what is important is target segment and people know in given target segment how much such cars are sold. Kodiaq positioning is a good example.

At last, I'm really puzzled by these Indian manufacturers' love for tongue-twisting foreign names! Is Indian language(s) vocabulary that poor with 100s of languages!
True, pricing alone wont help unless there is value in it. The perception of getting more for your money`s worth. The thought in people`s mind should be - How much more is the next car worth, what is the value it brings to me when i`m paying 7L INR more?

While Toyota sells 3 times more than its rival Ford, Kodiaq sales are not much of a bother. Our people are ready to pay more if there is added value in a product and the very important element of trust.

Toyota`s positioning is certainly based on efforts which they have put in, so much so that it is a better company to hand over your 40L INR into than a Ford. (My money will be for the Ford, its a better product in my eyes)

Although Mahindra fares better in terms of trust, they need to repeat what they did with XUV - When XUV was launched, it came at a mouth watering price offering features and performance which would rival midsize sedans, cross overs (CRV) etc. and the result? It took the market by storm. So yes you can undercut pricing if there is value in it for the customer.
Old 9th November 2018, 10:51   #159
Distinguished - BHPian

Mahindra Altura G4,

The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30-2.jpg

The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30-1.jpg

The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30-3.jpg

The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30-4.jpg

The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30-5.jpg

The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30-6.jpg

lLink
volkman10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th November 2018, 11:03   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Mahindra Altura G4,

Attachment 1816784
This one still has the Ssangyong badge on front grill.
Attached Thumbnails
The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30-images-77.jpeg  

wrongturn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2018, 15:46   #161
Distinguished - BHPian

As I type this, a fleet of four vehicles were spotted by my parents on the Pune Bangalore highway. The cars were doing good triple digit speeds and they sent a few videos to me since I was in Germany. Has good road presence too. I will share the video later when I can upload it to Youtube. They even caught a facelift TUV or Bolero which was a part of the fleet.

Last edited by audioholic : 9th November 2018 at 15:48.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2018, 21:33   #162

Any updates on pricing? Till now there are only speculations regarding pricing. Does someone have a concrete price bracket for variants on offer?
Old 10th November 2018, 09:30   #163
Distinguished - BHPian

ACI reveals the Alturas variants,

The Alturas will be available in two trims, namely G2 and G4. While both versions of the SUV will come powered by a 180.5hp/450Nm 2.2-litre diesel engine mated to a Mercedes-sourced 7-speed automatic transmission.

G2 - is rear-wheel-drive only

G4 - four-wheel drive and also more by way of features.

Quote:
Mahindra Alturas G2

• Rear-wheel drive
• Black and grey Nappa leather upholstery
• Multi Information Display (MID)
• Dual-chamber HID projector headlamps
• LED DRLs with integrated turn indicators
• Powered and ventilated front seats with memory function
• 9.2-inch touchscreen infotainment system with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
• Electronic parking brake
• 20-inch alloy wheels

Mahindra Alturas G4

• Four-wheel drive
• Black and tan Nappa leather upholstery
• Coloured Multi Information Display (MID)
• Dual-chamber HID projector headlamps
• LED DRLs with integrated turn indicators
• Powered and ventilated front seats with memory function
• 9.2-inch touchscreen infotainment system with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
• Electronic parking brake
• Sunroof
• Handsfree boot opening
• 20-inch alloy wheels
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 10th November 2018 at 09:33.
volkman10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th November 2018, 12:44   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
ACI reveals the Alturas variants,

The Alturas will be available in two trims, namely G2 and G4. While both versions of the SUV will come powered by a 180.5hp/450Nm 2.2-litre diesel engine mated to a Mercedes-sourced 7-speed automatic transmission.

G2 - is rear-wheel-drive only

G4 - four-wheel drive and also more by way of features.

Link

Correction 18 inch wheels
Old 11th November 2018, 10:05   #165
BHPian

As per Mahindra website, ALTURAS G4 would be available in the 2 variants:

- 2WD AT
- 4WD AT with additional features

There won't be MT option available

Available colors: New Pearl White, Napoli Black, Lakeside Brown, Dsat Silver, and Regal Blue.

Official Website: https://www.alturasg4.com/

Link
msinghal80 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks