Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2018, 18:21   #256
BHPian

Re: SsangYong Rexton (Y400) to be sold as Mahindra Alturas G4 in India. EDIT : Launched at 26.95 Lak

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I have a feeling this vehicle is going to surprise us pleasantly. About time, in my opinion, that the vastly overpriced Toyota Fortuner was de throned. Toyota is guilty like the blazes of severe over pricing and profiteering in the India market. I don’t appreciate having to pay so much more in India for the same vehicles which are priced at around half, in the neighbouring countries themselves.
Doubt this is going to happen - the Endeavour that's much better priced (e.g. it costs more than the T-Fort in South Africa) only manages 1/3rd of the Fortuner's sales.

One way Mahindra could hope to create a big impact is by matching Toyota's (up to 7-year) extended warranty program and maybe even working out some sort of guaranteed buyback program for peace of mind - the Toyotas' excellent resale value definitely influences purchase decisions.
spindoc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2018, 18:32   #257
BHPian

Re: SsangYong Rexton (Y400) to be sold as Mahindra Alturas G4 in India. EDIT : Launched at 26.95 Lak

A glimpse from today's run just outside Jaipur :-D
Attached Thumbnails
The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30-screen-shot-20181125-6.26.41-pm.png  

BunnyPunia is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 25th November 2018, 18:35   #258
Senior - BHPian

^^^
Did you try opening and shutting the doors when like this?

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2018, 18:49   #259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suku_patel_22 View Post
Alturas G2: 26.95
Alturas G4: 29.95

Fortuner 4x2: 31.07
Fortuner 4x4: 32.97

Endeavour Trend 4x2: 26.32
Endeavour Titanium 4x2: 30.27
Endeavour Titanium 4x4: 32.81
Mahindra Alturas is a 2.2 L engine costing 26.95 & 29.95 ex showroom
Toyota Fortuner is 2.8 L & Endeavour is 2.2 L & 3.2 L

The Alturas has a BS 6 compliant engine as per various online review videos.

Is Mahindra charging a premium for the future ready engine.
If so, then it can be assumed that when the BS6 compliant versions of the Fortuner & Endeavour hit the market, they too will go up sizable in price.

I commend Mahindra for taking this risk knowing how tough it is going to be going against the segment leader but personally I would take the safest route available and choose the Fortuner or Endeavour.
No offence intended to future Alturas buyers.
Old 25th November 2018, 19:18   #260
Senior - BHPian

Overpriced by atleast 3 to 4 lakhs, is what I would say.
Difficult for Mahindra, it cannot attempt to dethrone or fight the incumbent by pricing it on its tails. When first-gen Rexton was launched, they pit it against the then champions, Fortuner and the Pajero. It was priced similarly back then. And the rest is history.
JoshMachine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2018, 20:09   #261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
Overpriced by atleast 3 to 4 lakhs, is what I would say.

I second that. What a waste of opportunity. I guess the ones who waited in the side lines will get busy booking a Fortuner!
sheelapratosh is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2018, 20:17   #262
BHPian

I haven't seen the Alturas in flesh and blood as yet. Prima Facie, the spec list and feature list seem to justify the price tag and make it a good VFM prospect. Lets not forget that the Endeavour was a sales dud initially and even the Ford brand was not generating numbers as such.....but the new Endy has dug its heels in, and how!

My primary concern (being a Mahindra owner myself) is the fit and finish and relaibility of the various features loaded on to the vehicle. In the XUV, the list of features was extensive but most of them proved to be erratic or unreliable as time passed by. Rattles and squeaks have already appeared in a 4 year old vehicle with just 55k on the odo. The TPMS has a mind of its own ever since delivery of the vehicle.
Wonder if this trend will continue with the Alturas?
People who have seen it physically...can you please comment on the quality of interiors and their fit and finish?
arethusa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2018, 20:45   #263
BHPian

Mahindra Alturas goes off-roading, video from ZigWheels.

jpcoolguy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th November 2018, 20:51   #264
Senior - BHPian

I think Toyota will go ahead and raise prices for the Fortuner after this joke. I see no reason why anyone would pick the Alturas over the Fortuner, the 5 lakh premium is peanuts for the average buyer in this class.

There's a reason the Fortuner remains the king of the hill, the competition doesn't have a compelling offering or doesn't have a dealer network worth the name. Rexton 2 is DOA.
Old 25th November 2018, 20:56   #265
BHPian

Contrary to general opinion, I think the pricing is what it should be. Perhaps a lakh lesser might have avoided the over-priced tag. But IMO, this was never a car that would take the Mahindra to the next level. Rather than the pricing to be flawed, I would say it's the strategy that's flawed here. From a < 20L 7 seater to >30L 7 seater, it's a quite a jump for Mahindra. Just as Maruti is stuck with the mass market car company, Mahindra is stuck with the utilitarian and rugged cars image and will be long and painful journey if they want to change that image. For the moment, as GTO aptly put, they are punching above their weight. But then, they probably know that already and hence the CKD route.

But it's good that there are more options for the car buying public now and in that light, I feel this is a better alternate than the Mu-X. BTW, at least in white color, the rear looks too benign to me comparing with the imposing front.
prakash_ajp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th November 2018, 21:06   #266
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
From a < 20L 7 seater to >30L 7 seater, it's a quite a jump for Mahindra.
The prices have jumped all across, in every segment, not just this. From a 15L SUV, the Scorpio is closing on at 20L and that too in some 4 odd years, so...

27L OTR for the 4WD would have been nice and might have helped in getting few buyers, but the way it is kitted up, especially in comparison to its successful rival, maybe a lower price would have been difficult to match, but we can expect a lakh or two off in ~ 6 months and then it may make some sense.

So, what is in a name, a lot, just ask Ssangyong or Mahindra or both or...
Old 25th November 2018, 21:25   #267
BHPian

Good to see that the price of Alturas significantly undercuts that of Fortuner and with a dominating street presence along with a host of additional safety features/gadgetry, it might stand out as a good value proposition (subject to favorable reviews, that is).

That said, it still has an uphill task of one-upping the latter primarily because:

1. Fortuner has a literal stranglehold on the segment despite being overpriced. This domination is somewhat like that of MSIL in the entry level segment

2. Fortuner's warranty package is unbeaten till date and its resale value (major consideration for a lot of people) is superb too.

3. The market did not respond favorably to Rexton and a lot of buyers out for shopping in this segment know that Alturas is essentially a rebadged-revamped-refreshed Rexton. Wonder if that would affect the sales.

4. Presenting the most premium offering from an Indian stable, Mahindra is punching above its top operating level and is going to compete with the international OEMs.

Despite all that, I sincerely hope that the market warms up to it and it gets much-deserved love from Indian buyers.
Old 25th November 2018, 23:15   #268
BHPian

Disappointing pricing as voiced by many BHPians. I expected Mahindra to give a fair chance for the XUV owners to upgrade, after all they have invested 2 million on the brand and no better base to start with.

XUV W11 AWD AT is 23.22 on road while Alturas G4 4WD AT is 35.47. That is 12.25 lacs more than the XUV while the maximum they should have stretched is by 6 or 7 lacs IMO.

Fortuner 2.8 4WD AT is 39.26 and is only 3.79 lacs more with its mighty reputation. The Endy 3.2 4WD AT is 38.89, 3.42 lacs more. That is too little difference for potential buyers to consider. The difference in price would certainly have its impact on resale which the Alturas won't be able to match.

They should have ensured a 30 lacs on road price and might have had a sure shot chance of swaying away a few customers.

Note: all prices are Delhi on road taken from Car Dekho

Last edited by Karthik Chandra : 25th November 2018 at 23:21.
Karthik Chandra is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th November 2018, 02:02   #269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik Chandra View Post
Disappointing pricing as voiced by many BHPians. I expected Mahindra to give a fair chance for the XUV owners to upgrade, after all they have invested 2 million on the brand and no better base to start with.

XUV W11 AWD AT is 23.22 on road while Alturas G4 4WD AT is 35.47. That is 12.25 lacs more than the XUV while the maximum they should have stretched is by 6 or 7 lacs IMO.

Fortuner 2.8 4WD AT is 39.26 and is only 3.79 lacs more with its mighty reputation. The Endy 3.2 4WD AT is 38.89, 3.42 lacs more. That is too little difference for potential buyers to consider. The difference in price would certainly have its impact on resale which the Alturas won't be able to match.

They should have ensured a 30 lacs on road price and might have had a sure shot chance of swaying away a few customers.

Note: all prices are Delhi on road taken from Car Dekho
You are quite right in saying this. Ideally Mahindra should have given an onroad price of aound RS 30 lakhs at launch. Slowly after the first 5000 units sold, they could have raised the price to 32 and then 35 lakh, adding some styling elements and say auto dimming mirrors etc. The sticker price of RS 10 lakh less than the segment leader would have stuck on and Mahindra would have gained traction.
AirbusCapt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2018, 08:36   #270
Distinguished - BHPian

What's the USP of Mahindra's re-badged/grilled flagship SUV that's taking the fight to Toyota and Ford?

Perhaps some were expecting it to be priced much lesser than the segment leaders and that to be its USP? I don't think it would have made much impact even if priced 4L lesser than now. The Fortuner Endy have very good brand value in people's mind.

Looks like Mahindra has sent the Alturas with toy knives for a battle with Fortuner and Endeavour.
kiku007 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks