Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2007, 20:24   #61
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
SX4 is not the swift sedan. Its a totally new platform. Although its selling well, we can expect Maruti to upgrade the Esteem shortly.
SX4 is not on an all-new platform, but an extended Swift platform. However, the esteem replacement is rumoured to be based on the Swift platform itself.

But i dont know how Maruti can bring it soon, as they already have serious capacity constraints, and long long waiting list for Swift and SX4.
Old 25th July 2007, 20:38   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
SX4 is not on an all-new platform, but an extended Swift platform. However, the esteem replacement is rumoured to be based on the Swift platform itself.
Iam sorry, Thanks for correcting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
But i dont know how Maruti can bring it soon, as they already have serious capacity constraints, and long long waiting list for Swift and SX4.
This could be one reason why Maruti is waiting to upgrade the Esteem. Once the manesar plant gets to speed, we can expect some surprises.

Or maybe they require a kick from Ford and Hyundai who also have not done anything to Ikon and Accent, except for stripping the numbers of versions to just one. Dont think they plan to do anything to their entry level sedans for some time.
Old 25th July 2007, 21:51   #63
Senior - BHPian

What I heard in late 2006 was new Esteem based on Swift's platform will debute after SX4 is launched so we can expect new look Esteem in early 2008. Thats when their new plant will be fully functional for its capacity.

What I heard is Esteem will be same as Swift + boot. But I don't know If already Suzuki have similar sedan. Maruti will bring at least 2 new cars (wagonR replacement, Esteem replacement) in 2008.This is what I heard in

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 25th July 2007, 22:01   #64
Senior - BHPian

Is it possible to have the G16B being used in the Esteem. Maruti can as well do that. Cos it is painful to see everything in the Baleno vanish all of a sudden.
Old 25th July 2007, 22:16   #65
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
The Esteem replacement is called the Liana I believe. The SX 4 is the sedan based on the Swift Platform . Liana would be smaller and lighter but with the SX4 priced the way it is Maruti may have a problem to position the car and price it in such a manner as not to cannibalize SX4 sales.
Yes, I heard rumors that the Liana might be launched Q1 next year. Lets see and hope for the best
Old 25th July 2007, 22:51   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_nars View Post
i don't think ABS and EBD can be added now when they weren't thought of during design. One ford guy told me that all cars WOULD have provisions for Airbag, ABS, etc - to keep costs lower, manufacturers aren't giving it in many models.
The suzuki swift (called as the esteem here) has ABS & Airbags in other countries & i am sure that can be accommodated here too except that the price would go up & no one will be interested in the car anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
And if you are talkin about age old design which has not been updated since many ages so what..look at the competition they aint no Maryln Monroe either.
Man, I love marilyn monroe more than mallika what what or ........

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Is it possible to have the G16B being used in the Esteem. Maruti can as well do that. Cos it is painful to see everything in the Baleno vanish all of a sudden.
you are right. i felt very sad too when the baleno was phased out, but in another corner of my heart, i was very very happy since the resale value would come down bad, but that did not happen either.
Old 25th July 2007, 22:54   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Once the manesar plant gets to speed, we can expect some surprises.
Manesar plant is Suzuki best plant but the result are not upto the mark as we can see long waiting list for Swift & SX4....may be they have planned something wrong or there must be something cooking at MUL end

I am also waiting for speed up of Manesar plant so that we can have some more surprises from MUL
Old 25th July 2007, 23:07   #68
BHPian

I remember the conversation I had with dealer:

"Esteem is giving very good mileage in City and we are receiving good number of orders even today, so MUL isn't planning to upgrade or discontinue Esteem." - he said few months before.

Not sure how far it is true, but believable.

Unless there is real push in the segment or when numbers are very low, I don't think MUL will consider upgrading Esteem.

Volume decides it, isn't it? Though I don't have exact numbers, I guess premium sedan (Verna, Fiesta, NHC, SX4/Baleno, etc) sells more than entry level (Accent, Ikon, Esteem) - let us see if we can find this data somewhere.

If Accent/Ikon sells more, I see no reason why these companies should strip them to only one version - anyway there is significant price difference between entry & premium sedan segments.

So, when anyway the entry level segment is KTBR (Keep the business running), no manufacturer will bother about upgrade or so, IMHO.
Old 25th July 2007, 23:14   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Volume decides it, isn't it? Though I don't have exact numbers, I guess premium sedan (Verna, Fiesta, NHC, SX4/Baleno, etc) sells more than entry level (Accent, Ikon, Esteem) -
Thats when you dont bringin the Indigo in the later category. With the Indigo added, I guess its a different story altogether. Which means, there is definitely a market.
Old 25th July 2007, 23:28   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Unless there is real push in the segment or when numbers are very low, I don't think MUL will consider upgrading Esteem.

Volume decides it, isn't it?

Very very true & that is why the zen & the baleno were phased out inspite of them being terrific VFM cars. Somehow the esteem still sells & as long as people continue to see it as VFM, maruti is not going to do anything about it.
Old 25th July 2007, 23:35   #71
Senior - BHPian

@ smartmundu: We have discussed in other threads about the capacity constraints in MUL Manesar plant. They can manufacture engines only @ 2000~2500/day. Actually, they did not visualize the success that swift and sx4 would make and ended up in messing the whole lot. Now if they do not catch us, they it will be very difficult for them to catch up afterwards and they also knows about the same.....
Old 25th July 2007, 23:36   #72
Senior - BHPian

Having a Baleno, Esteem and an 800 in my garage, I can tell you how good (great, rather) a car Esteem is.

I know the Baleno is a class apart and I can't compare them, just like I can't overhype Esteem comparing it to the 800, but look at it this way:

I have a Baleno Lxi 2005 that has no ABS, Airbags and has only hydraulic power steering and cost me 6.7+ on road. Esteem on the other hand (its too old and I don't remember the price, its a 2001 and I don't even think my dad remembers ) is total, total VFM. It has a great engine, good FE and the best part is, it is a driver's car.

The Esteem needs better interiors, a little sporty makeover and probably a better build (don't think that is too much a practical thing to wish for, but anyway)

Esteem needs to be Esteem, with a new look and a better charm all at <5.5 or 6 lacs. But honestly, there is no car like Esteem that costs as little and feels great when driven So what if people call it 'dated' or 'old-fashioned' with a revamp, the car is great and deserves to stay.

All in my opinion, and when I say 'car' for that price, I mean a Sedan.
Old 25th July 2007, 23:45   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is a very loose statement. I do not say this because I own a Maruti. Toyota brought the Qualis in India to make money so that it could fund their future operations.
but the discontinued the qualis while it was selling good numbers didnt they?and replaced it with innova.if they wanted they could comfortably sell qualis.and qualis was a pure vfm
and my statement was definately not loose,go ahead ,name any cars manufacturer in the country who is selling same design from 1994
even the outdated corolla we have now is not very old.the corolla has evolved alot from the time maruti offered us maruti 1000.
even hyundai and ford are replacing vfms like ikon and accent
then why be partial to the esteem which is even older?

Why would a manufacturer well known globally for their quality cars bring in a long outdated Kijang in India?? Why not Corolla, Camry or Yaris?? Qualis did excellant numbers and the premium on it help fund their future operations and increase brand image in the country.
no doubt about it,that was a right way to start

Please understand no manufacturer is in business to pamper us with goodies. They are all out to make money and we are here to enjoy their cars.
i am aware of this fact ,and i have mentioned about it in my earlier post.
i am not against maruti or anything ,infact i have already mentioned that swift,sx4 and escudo/vitara are offerings that deserve appreciation
Old 25th July 2007, 23:50   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksterraghu View Post
The Esteem needs better interiors

Very true, but after seeing the quality of the interiors in many of the much hyped & latest cars, i feel the esteem interiors even if they are not modern at least they have substance & quality. wonder why maruti did not do the same to swift & the SX4.
Old 26th July 2007, 00:03   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksterraghu View Post
Having a Baleno, Esteem and an 800 in my garage, I can tell you how good (great, rather) a car Esteem is.

I know the Baleno is a class apart and I can't compare them, just like I can't overhype Esteem comparing it to the 800, but look at it this way:

I have a Baleno Lxi 2005 that has no ABS, Airbags and has only hydraulic power steering and cost me 6.7+ on road. Esteem on the other hand (its too old and I don't remember the price, its a 2001 and I don't even think my dad remembers ) is total, total VFM. It has a great engine, good FE and the best part is, it is a driver's car.

The Esteem needs better interiors, a little sporty makeover and probably a better build (don't think that is too much a practical thing to wish for, but anyway)

Esteem needs to be Esteem, with a new look and a better charm all at <5.5 or 6 lacs. But honestly, there is no car like Esteem that costs as little and feels great when driven So what if people call it 'dated' or 'old-fashioned' with a revamp, the car is great and deserves to stay.

All in my opinion, and when I say 'car' for that price, I mean a Sedan.
Esteem is a drivers car. So no doubts you liked driving Esteem more than the Baleno?

Most Viewed