Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2017, 12:31   #46
Team-BHP Support

Re: R.I.P. Volkswagen Jetta : Production Stopped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
Just curious if Skoda could do it with the Octavia with MQB why can't VW with the Jetta ? Or is there some other things involved which probably i am not aware of.
There's no RHD MQB Jetta planned. The MQB Jetta will only be LHD. It seems the numbers don't justify a RHD design for the Jetta MQB platform.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2017, 15:54   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carma2017 View Post
Like I said, owners of the Jetta have not complained much in India, at least among the people I know. But, it's reputation for unreliability for the international versions is a 100% truth.
Then again the reputation that I refer to is primarily US based where the expectations of a car are much higher.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carma2017 View Post
Jetta might not have sold much because the car had a reputation for unreliability internationally with Consumer Reports in US also commenting on its reliability. However, I would put it more down to a lack of interest of VW to sell their wares in cut throat Indian market.
If you are attributing US reputation as a factor. Jetta should have been permanently discontinued right? Why bother about the LHD MQB Jetta?

Also in the US, VW had the reputation of being expensive to maintain and limited number of FNG that would lay hands on a VW. Am talking this from my observation during 2001-5. However this not just affects Jetta, but Passat, Beetle as well.

Even in the European market, its the Golf and Passat that are on sale. Not the Jetta. This am sure atleast in the home market Germany, Italy and France. However the Octavia is sold, and you'd spot them once in a while.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2017, 17:21   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
As luck would have it, in September 2016, I came across a 2015 Jetta TDI Highline AT with just 17k kms on the odo and warranty till Feb 2017. Picked it up for 17 lakhs, purchased the extended warranty till 2019 and I thank my stars every time I drive this beauty.
One of my friends enquired about Jetta today from the dealer and he is selling 2015 model basically a TD car with 4600 kms on the ODO with first time registration at a discount of 3 Lacs. It is a white coloured highline diesel AT. Expert opinion please? Should he negotiate harder.. I think it is costing him some where around 20Lacs.
Old 18th February 2017, 17:48   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoiledBratt View Post
One of my friends enquired about Jetta today from the dealer and he is selling 2015 model basically a TD car with 4600 kms on the ODO with first time registration at a discount of 3 Lacs. It is a white coloured highline diesel AT. Expert opinion please? Should he negotiate harder.. I think it is costing him some where around 20Lacs.
Firstly I am not sure how the dealer is using an unregistered car for test drives. In case of an accident what would they do? I believe they are then using fake number plates and driving around? Please check on this.
Secondly, if the car is unregistered, the dealer should give a discount on the ex-showroom price as registration, OTT and insurance is not yet paid. Is 20 lakhs including or excluding the above?

The car is a 2015 manufactured car which would now make it 2 years old? In 2015 the ex-showroom price of the Jetta Highline 2.0 AT was 20.75 lakhs.
Epic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2017, 12:02   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Firstly I am not sure how the dealer is using an unregistered car for test drives. In case of an accident what would they do? I believe they are then using fake number plates and driving around? Please check on this.
Secondly, if the car is unregistered, the dealer should give a discount on the ex-showroom price as registration, OTT and insurance is not yet paid. Is 20 lakhs including or excluding the above?

The car is a 2015 manufactured car which would now make it 2 years old? In 2015 the ex-showroom price of the Jetta Highline 2.0 AT was 20.75 lakhs.
Thanks Epic. Apologies I mean if he buys he will be the first owner. Car is registered but with the dealer and has a pink number plate. The discount he is offering is on ex showroom. But he seemed to be interested in selling the vehicle and could negotiate further.
Old 19th February 2017, 14:25   #51
BHPian

I wanted to check if VW is doing something with their UK model line-up. The site seems to be down. Any idea what's going on? If they have indeed no plans for a RHD version of the new Jetta, I am curious to know their UK strategy.

Or does VW not sell in the UK anymore?
Old 19th February 2017, 21:16   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
I wanted to check if VW is doing something with their UK model line-up. The site seems to be down. Any idea what's going on? If they have indeed no plans for a RHD version of the new Jetta, I am curious to know their UK strategy.

Or does VW not sell in the UK anymore?
VW UK site has some issues for Indian IPs for days now - i remember tried opening it last week but it just wouldnt open. Considering VW is one of the biggest car seller's in UK - i doubt it would be down for so many days.
Old 19th February 2017, 21:30   #53
Senior - BHPian

Does this mean VW will be looking to clear stocks? Discounts?

The Jetta has been my (somewhat attainable!) dream sedan for a long time now. Even though it's a whole generation older than the Octy, it would have been my pick. If it's available at a more reasonable price would happily pick it up now. Or a used one, in good condition and low running if it is still under warranty.
Old 19th February 2017, 21:47   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post

The Jetta has been my (somewhat attainable!) dream sedan for a long time now. Even though it's a whole generation older than the Octy, it would have been my pick. If it's available at a more reasonable price would happily pick it up now. Or a used one, in good condition and low running if it is still under warranty.

I enquired VW for the same and they gave me a price of 23.5 lakhs for 2016 Diesel AT.

They don't have a TSI.

Regards
Bharath
bharath79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2017, 22:12   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharath79 View Post
I enquired VW for the same and they gave me a price of 23.5 lakhs for 2016 Diesel AT.

They don't have a TSI.

Regards
Bharath
Highline?

Stock clearance pressure may happen in a while (maybe end of this FY). That's when there may be discounts. Assumption being that demand for the Jetta, which is anyway low, may reduce further once people know it's discontinued. But that's all hypothetical. Let's see. I'll have a word with a dealer and track this for sure.
Old 19th February 2017, 22:24   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hold on Till March, With some good discounts Jetta becomes really good value for money.

Quote:
Even though it's a whole generation older than the Octy, it would have been my pick.
And it still drives better than the TDI Octavia, Jetta would good discounts is probably the best in the D segment, When i bought the jetta in 2014 i got a 1 lac cash discount, Jump for it at the right time!
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2017, 23:16   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Highline?

Stock clearance pressure may happen in a while (maybe end of this FY). That's when there may be discounts. Assumption being that demand for the Jetta, which is anyway low, may reduce further once people know it's discontinued. But that's all hypothetical. Let's see. I'll have a word with a dealer and track this for sure.
Yes.. Jetta Diesel AT is available only with highline.

Last edited by SpoiledBratt : 19th February 2017 at 23:22.
SpoiledBratt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2017, 10:12   #58

Damn! My uncle bought one in Jan. Hope VW caters to spare & service requirements!

Thanks for the news though.
manojjoseph is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2017, 21:03   #59
BHPian

Now that Jetta's production has been stopped, does it make sense to purchase a used 2014 Jetta HL DSG that has run 34000 km for 16 lakhs - new one costs 24 lakhs on road. The car is still under warranty and I should be able to extend the warranty for 2 more years.

Is a DSG Jetta reliable from a long term perspective (minimum 5 years)?

Last edited by ece2k2 : 21st February 2017 at 21:07.
ece2k2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2017, 21:24   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ece2k2 View Post
Now that Jetta's production has been stopped, does it make sense to purchase a used 2014 Jetta HL DSG that has run 34000 km for 16 lakhs - new one costs 24 lakhs on road. The car is still under warranty and I should be able to extend the warranty for 2 more years.

Is a DSG Jetta reliable from a long term perspective (minimum 5 years)?
That shouldn't be a problem, but do check the service history and the suspension. Following are the precautions:

- I noticed that there were very very rare cases of clutch slip reported in the DSG and those cars were selling for dirt cheap. Just check for harsh gear shifts or any lights on the instrument cluster regarding the electricals or mechanics too

- Take a mechanic along with you to check and certify the car

- Check the dampers especially, which could indicate the way the car has been driven

- Finally, check if the car has been serviced at the correct intervals and also recalled. Your warranty will be useless without these

If the car ticks these boxes, then there is no better choice for a pre worshipped car in this segment. Happy shopping and do keep us updated

16 lakhs seems to be a good deal for this car. Also check the VIN for the manufacturing date.

Regards,
vishy

Last edited by vishy76 : 21st February 2017 at 21:30.
vishy76 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks