Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2017, 16:42   #16
BHPian

Re: February 2017 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

I wonder what are the figures for the VW GTi.
Keen to know how many were sold.
Old 6th March 2017, 16:45   #17
BHPian

Only 70 units of Corolla Altis. Indications that the facelift is going to be launched soon. There are news that it will be launched on March 17. I hope they provide 7 airbags in all variants as in Thailand and Malyasia
Simhi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th March 2017, 18:13   #18
Senior - BHPian

I am surprised to see the Ignis not in the top 20. Is it the waiting period or the tapering demand?
jetsetgo08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2017, 20:48   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post
Didn't they manufacture just 99 cars in the first batch, with each car being numbered in its order of manufacture? I believe all 99 of them were sold almost instantaneously. I did see one in Chennai with a 9x number (don't remember the exact number though).
y2ksrs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2017, 20:58   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Wonder when we will see the next disrupter. [/list]
I think its already here. The Ignis is sure to dethrone the Grand i10 going by the current interest levels. Not sure of the facelift will work any wonders for the latter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post
99 produced. 99 sold in a whiff!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
I am surprised to see the Ignis not in the top 20. Is it the waiting period or the tapering demand?
Have the deliveries started yet? The numbers should reflect once this starts. I am sure the dealer dispatches for test drive vehicles for this itself will outnumber customer deliveries for some cars.
racer_ash is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th March 2017, 21:12   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash View Post
I think its already here. The Ignis is sure to dethrone the Grand i10 going by the current interest levels. Not sure of the facelift will work any wonders for the latter.

Have the deliveries started yet? The numbers should reflect once this starts. I am sure the dealer dispatches for test drive vehicles for this itself will outnumber customer deliveries for some cars.
I think they have because I ran into an Ignis yesterday when coming back from the badminton practice. It was red and looked remarkably similar to BMW's i3 for some reason.

It was in front of the Tilak Nagar police station (besides the Jewellery shops).

Last edited by GTO : 7th March 2017 at 10:25. Reason: Typos, language
Swarit19 is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 6th March 2017, 21:16   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I wonder what stops them from selling it as a regular model.
In comparison, the Abarth is languishing in single digits.
If VW can sell 99 in a whiff, then they should definitely start production again!
Old 7th March 2017, 00:56   #23
BHPian

Quote:

I think I saw one at apple auto (Bangalore) couple of weeks back. So maybe all 99 have been dispatched from the factory but some are still not sold

Quote:

I spotted a couple of them in bylanes of Sarjapur road/central jail road (BLR) yesterday. Unless it has suddenly become a hot-spot for test drives, I would assume deliveries have started.
Old 7th March 2017, 06:20   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

I may be turning into less & less of a car guy as the days are passing, that's why I feel that there are no exciting products anymore (and NO, I'm not talking of torque or power or handling so spare me a lecture on those aspects), I simply don't feel that excitement for any car, be it in design, the snob appeal or brand value.. I guess the Mini Cooper is about the only car I love as of now, thanks to its roundish design (learn from them, square loving VW), exciting interiors and of course great driving - I've spent quite some time driving one but they're unduly expensive in India whereas in U.S they are sold for an equivalent of Rs.14 lakh upto 30 lakh for highest end 4 door.

The Indian market in my view is saturating, its all about competing for sales, keeping prices competitive, cutting costs and cheapening out.. all nightmares in my view, of course it doesn't help that the Indian consumer is basically a money conscious, value-seeking entity but in most cases where quality needs to be at its extreme, the value for money spent will go down considerably. This is probably why I feel the market will never evolve except by baby-steps.

The market can be summarised as two mass-market manufacturers (Suzuki & Hyundai), European niche players (VW+Skoda, Fiat), a patriots delight (Mahindra, Tata), dem Americans (Ford, GM) and those inbetween (Nissan+Renault+Datsun). Sales are hardly changing for most of these brands except for 5% up or downs occasionally.

The luxury market needs to evolve - plenty of room for Rs.20L luxury hatches from regular brands (i30, Golf etc), enough of cramped rear-seats and compromises by current so-called big hatchbacks.
dark.knight is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 7th March 2017, 07:19   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
I may be turning into less & less of a car guy as the days are passing, that's why I feel that there are no exciting products anymore (and NO, I'm not talking of torque or power or handling so spare me a lecture on those aspects), I simply don't feel that excitement for any car, be it in design, the snob appeal or brand value..
Absolutely agree with you. I felt the same thing. Earlier the Indian market wasn't as big as it is right now, but there were some cars which were very desirable. I don't feel the same way about a single car in the 5-25 lakh market right now. Again, it's just my opinion and perception.

Quote:
The market can be summarised as two mass-market manufacturers (Suzuki & Hyundai), European niche players (VW+Skoda, Fiat), a patriots delight (Mahindra, Tata), dem Americans (Ford, GM) and those inbetween (Nissan+Renault+Datsun). Sales are hardly changing for most of these brands except for 5% up or downs occasionally.
Absolutely true. Would like to see the European players grow in India, considering their capable product range.

Last edited by varadnerurkar : 7th March 2017 at 07:38.
varadnerurkar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2017, 10:58   #26
BHPian

Thanks for Feb numbers. Ignis off to a flyer. Maruti knows how to rock the market.

Once in a fancy restaurant, a few cars got together for dinner.
Each of them started bragging about themselves.

Creta- Guys, do you know I am just a glorified hatch which has been creatively overpriced by my master and yet I lead the sales in the C2 segment.

XUV- Do you know which car had so many bookings that there was an auction. Well, it was me. That's how popular I am. And every time I think of it, I let out a new squeak which my owner thinks as a minor niggle.

Omni- Gentlemen, I want to remind you that when I was launched, most of your designers were in kindergarten. My safety feature is a windshield, comfort feature is an air vent and engine is a mere 40 BHP, And yet, even today, I sell more than 250 copies a day.

Ciaz- Seems I am the only hard worker here. I do most things right. I have the looks, the features, the price and a powerful surname. Hard work does have its benefits.

Someone is heard sobbing, they all turn and see the Aspire
Aspire- I do not know what wrong me and my Sibling, Figo have done. We have good built, long list of features and priced well. Yet, no one seems to love us or take us home.

A voice is heard from another table
Punto- Come here, you belong to this table. And, we have one more thing in common. Our surname is a 4 letter word, beginning with F.

WagonR- LOL. My designer clearly loved straight lines. In fact, I am so boxy, people often confuse my shadow with a carton. But even then, I sell more in a month, than all these F families can imagine in a year.

Grand i10- People buy me in loads. I have so many features, I can put cars triple my price to shame. And people forget there is no safety equipment on me. As long as they have the AVN, they are happy.

Innova- Boys, calm down and stop showing off your feature list. Do you know my G variant costing 17 lacs doesn't even have an audio system and yet people just adore me. We all know who has the last laugh.

Last edited by drive2eternity : 7th March 2017 at 11:03.
drive2eternity is offline   (190) Thanks
Old 7th March 2017, 11:37   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

To me the most interesting part of the table is the bottom-rungers (2% and below market share):
  • VW + Skoda = 2.05%
  • Datsun + Nissan = 1.91%
  • Fiat= 0.13% (319 cars! Seriously?)
  • HM/Mitsubishi= 0% (is that a typo? Not a single car sold?)

It's such a shame because globally each of these companies holds their own. India is a tough nut to crack but surely these companies have only themselves to blame for the mess they are in?
noopster is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 7th March 2017, 12:04   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
[*] HM/Mitsubishi= 0% (is that a typo? Not a single car sold?)[/list]
HM sold the Ambassador name plate to PSA for 80Crores. Their best sale ever
kiku007 is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 7th March 2017, 14:52   #29
Senior - BHPian

A slight drop of about 2k in Swift's sales, looks like some Maruti Suzuki buyers are shifting to a newer car : Ignis

Its business as usual in most cases, toppers continue to top and laggards continue to be laggards. Only exception (or confusion) in case of Honda is with the BRV sales have dropped, now is it because of WRV production or simply because of no demand ?
NiInJa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2017, 15:08   #30
Senior - BHPian

1. Maruti Suzuki has atleast one car in the top three in all segments except the SUV space.

2. Ford has dispatched around 149 Mustangs from Sep 2016 to Feb 2017 while Abarth's sales figure for the same duration is a paltry 62.

3. Will be interesting to see if HEXA can match or at least come near the Fortuner's numbers.

4. Wonder who is lapping up the 6,000 odd Maruti Eecos. Not many are visible on the roads.
dailydriver is online now   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks