Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2017, 20:15   #1546
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
The pricing of the Jeep compass would most likely dent the sales of the S-Cross, Tuscon, Creta.

Why S-Cross? Are you talking about 1.6? Its already a market dud and nothing much left to be dented 🙂
jaganpec2002 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2017, 20:26   #1547

Re: Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs

No Doubt, pricing of Jeep Compass is very aggressive. But still i am not convinced that it will boost their sales and it is not going to affect the sales of their competitor.

If merit only matters then Polo/Punto deserves better than any hatchback available in India.

But really impressive pricing, if i am in market for a SUV in budget of 15-20, i will surely go for this.
NishantKj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2017, 20:46   #1548
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post

The only area where the Compass has the edge is the additional ground-clearance.

So, would it make sense to plonk the same amount of money on a car that trades equipment, space and even performance for additional ground clearance and of course, great styling? I'm not sure.

What are your thoughts? My father is still on the fence.
This hold true for all SUVs. Why buy a creta over a better equipped rapid, or an ecosport over a Dzire. Point of matter being that what you pay for is real estate. For instance, a 7 plus costs more than 7 merely because of the real estate (throw in a dual camera). No one questions Audi for a q3 priced at 35+ but a jeep at 18+ is not vfm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Yup there was no car I could find good enough to replace my Yeti. Only when the Compass was launched did I take the plunge, now waiting for delivery which as per dealer should happen by 3rd week of Aug. I have taken LTD (O) 4x4 in Silver and black combo.
You are buying from the dealer at solitaire Plaza? Their on road pricing is inexhorbitant what with 20k logistics, 25k accessories and 1 lakh + zero dep. What's your take on this?

Last edited by suhaas307 : 2nd August 2017 at 21:23. Reason: Please avoid posting consecutively. Use the EDIT and QUOTE+ functions within 30 minutes of submitting the first post instead. Thank you!
wordsworth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2017, 21:04   #1549
Senior - BHPian

The price list for Kerala. Looking good with no extra charges. Some money can be saved by taking insurance on your own.
Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-img20170802wa0006.jpg

And it looks like they want to drive this point home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
You know the pricing is disruptive when colleagues at office walk up to you in total wonderment and disbelief. Maybe its because Jeep comes across as a very expensive brand with the Wrangler at 50+ and Grand Cherokee at 75+.
Sorting by either price or name should have brought Compass on top.
deetjohn is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2017, 21:18   #1550
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordsworth View Post
You are buying from the dealer at solitaire Plaza? Their on road pricing is inexhorbitant what with 20k logistics, 25k accessories and 1 lakh + zero dep. What's your take on this?
Yes it is from Landmark in Solitaire. Landmark is the only one for whole of NCR, so there isnt much choice.
I am buying it through our company car lease and they have better rates for Insurance at least! Accessories I have not decided yet. Logistics I will see what can be done.
Old 2nd August 2017, 21:24   #1551
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordsworth View Post
This hold true for all SUVs. Why buy a creta over a better equipped rapid, or an ecosport over a Dzire. Point of matter being that what you pay for is real estate. For instance, a 7 plus costs more than 7 merely because of the real estate (throw in a dual camera). No one questions Audi for a q3 priced at 35+ but a jeep at 18+ is not vfm?
Perfectly said!

Jeep is a much premium brand than even the Fiat brand.

Before Compass, a Jeep was just desirable as the ultimate off road vehicle, the steep prices notwithstanding.

Now that they have actually got the pricing to affordable levels, people are now trying to compare it to Hyundais???

VW Tiguan might have more features, but Jeep Compass is as well engineered, if not better than the VW. And its offroad credentials are way better.

And VW is targetting BMW X1 no less!!

What we get with the Compass is a world class compact SUV at Desi rates.

Frankly....it is a No Brainer!
Flash777 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2017, 22:48   #1552
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Jeep as a brand is not even in the top 10 of reliable brands in multiple yearly consumer review/forums/survey over the years. The other brands above Jeep were surprisingly BMW, MERC and Audi.
Jeep in India is vide FCA with FCA Engines and Bodies - they have reliable products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
No Jeep, its a Fiat. Both body and engines. So no history of Jeep unreliability is valid here
Quote:
Hope your fortune forecasting for Jeep becomes true and over a period data proves you are right as well. We are way too early to get this judgmental on service, maintenance and cost of ownership.
I have faith because this is a FCA product and so far they have the least running cost and repair costs.
Dont see why that has to change with the Compass.
And I can very surely say that FCA ownership costs are way lower than VW, Skoda, BMW, Mercedes
Just to give an idea - All manufacturers create a bucket - comprising of consumables, wear and tear products, repair components etc - these are fairly consistent across brands. Now these are priced as a percentage of the car cost - varying from 6 - 15 percent typically - My view is that so far FCA has one of the lowest percentage for this offering.

Quote:
Again, this is just assumptions. Many of us who own Germans here have actually found the cars to be way more abuse friendly than most other brands we have used. Call it better suspension or better build but my Jetta has gone through more abuse that it still hardly rattles compared to say a Swift i had earlier.
Again FCA products have through owner reviews and TBHP reviews shown that they have the best or near best ride and handling in their respective categories. And are very abuse and repair friendly.
FCA may not have the best interiors or fit and finish or features - but they have better build quality, durability than most other brands.

Quote:
Who doesn't? In this case i am just saying we are getting way less for more money compared to other cars in this segment.
The above is very subjective as has been shown by varied comments / opinions / views in the thread and each to his own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
One rather funny thing that has happened with the launch of the Compass is that we have started to look at the Octavia with some respect. Remember, this is the same overpriced, unreliable, expensive-to-maintain machine that people were scared to consider a few months ago.

Maybe it only takes a reading of a couple of Skoda horror stories for me to come back with the Compass. Links anybody?
@civic_sense - The above is priceless
PS : could not but use the smileys !!!
Old 2nd August 2017, 22:56   #1553
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
The price list for Kerala. Looking good with no extra charges. Some money can be saved by taking insurance on your own.
Thanks to higher Road tax for cars above 20 lakhs in Kerala.. Limited Option 4WD is expensive by almost 2 lakhs than Limited 4WD . Difference in Ex-Showroom price is only 75K. Not worth paying 2 lakhs more for HID projectors and Black roof!!

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 2nd August 2017 at 22:58.
Old 2nd August 2017, 23:10   #1554
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Difference in Ex-Showroom price is only 75K. Not worth paying 2 lakhs more for HID projectors and Black roof!!
Okay - Noob Question here !

The only difference between the Limited & Limited (O) are
1. Black Painted Roof
2. HID Projector in lieu of Halogen Projector

Personally I would buy a black compass (whenever) so the black roof is moot.
Second is it worth 70 - 75K for HID vs Halogen Projector?
Old 2nd August 2017, 23:13   #1555
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM - B View Post
If it's only 75 k, that is worth only if the difference in output is very significant. Many states have high Road tax for cars above 20 lakhs and as I said in Kerala it's expensive by 2 lakhs. Definitely not worth the premium in this case.
Old 2nd August 2017, 23:18   #1556
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM - B View Post
Okay - Noob Question here !

The only difference between the Limited & Limited (O) are
1. Black Painted Roof
2. HID Projector in lieu of Halogen Projector

Personally I would buy a black compass (whenever) so the black roof is moot.
In spite of the price premium, please opt for the variant with HID headlamps. It would offer a significantly improved and safer driving experience on our poorly lit and pothole filled roads.

Last edited by petroguzzler : 2nd August 2017 at 23:19.
petroguzzler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2017, 23:26   #1557
BHPian

Quote:
Definitely not worth the premium in this case.
@Dr.Naren - I would definitely agree with the above in your case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroguzzler View Post
In spite of the price premium, please opt for the variant with HID headlamps.
@petroguzzler - thank you for your feedback.

Guess we can wait for the TBHP review and see what they have to say about the lumen output along with the color temperature between the two and then maybe can take a more informed decision.
Old 2nd August 2017, 23:35   #1558
BHPian

Quote:
If it's only 75 k, that is worth only if the difference in output is very significant. Many states have high Road tax for cars above 20 lakhs and as I said in Kerala it's expensive by 2 lakhs. Definitely not worth the premium in this case.
How about buying a Limited and later adding HID ? It should be a straight fit, right? That way you can save on the huge difference in tax.
DieselAddikt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2017, 23:38   #1559
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAddikt View Post
How about buying a Limited and later adding HID ? It should be a straight fit, right? That way you can save on the huge difference in tax.
You need to change the full headlight assembly. Also for some high end cars, even ECU / BCM would be different. A pair of headlight with HID projectors costs around 45k even for S-Cross .

If the swap is straight forward and within 50K.. This is a good idea for Kerala customers
Dr.Naren is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2017, 06:40   #1560
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks to higher Road tax for cars above 20 lakhs in Kerala.. Limited Option 4WD is expensive by almost 2 lakhs than Limited 4WD . Difference in Ex-Showroom price is only 75K. Not worth paying 2 lakhs more for HID projectors and Black roof!!
You can get black stickers for your roof from 3m /others . It's not worth spending 2 lakhs for roof and hid. Limited 4x4 is a good package
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks