Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2017, 18:33   #16
BANNED

Re: Man mods rickshaw with 'Scorpio' rear - Anand Mahindra makes him a Supro owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by trek View Post
After the exchange, the Mahindra logo and the quotes on the rear glass were removed, guess they didn't want the brand name to be seen on the vehicle.
But the logo beneath the windscreen and the name+logo on the mudflaps remain
rsidd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2017, 18:40   #17
BHPian

Re: Man mods rickshaw with 'Scorpio' rear - Anand Mahindra makes him a Supro owner

Lovely gesture from Mr Mahindra.
This is an organization I have long admired and dream of working with M&M automotive. These gestures has increased my respect for Mr Mahindra and my love for M&M automotive.
MadiMaama is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th May 2017, 19:43   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trek View Post
A good gesture by Mr. Mahindra, will enable the man to earn a better living.

After the exchange, the Mahindra logo and the quotes on the rear glass were removed, guess they didn't want the brand name to be seen on the vehicle.
It seems the 3-wheeler may have been reconditioned before the exchange.
1. Number plate (yellow background changed to White),
2. Mahindra name removed,
3. Couple of other stickers replaced,
4. Mudflap replaced,
5. Stop radium with different font and many more.

Anyways, its a gentleman's gesture by Mr. Anand Mahindra.

One can say or argue that it is a publicity stunt, which according to me is okay. In this social media age where such type of things spread like fire. It may generate interest by people to do such type of things and to get noticed. Rickshaw owners may start fitting emblems and various parts, which will be a free advertisement for any company.
Pune & Kolhapur are famous for modified rickshaws. They are usually fitted with old emblems, old dashboards and various stuffs. In my teens I had my Scooter fitted with a Merc emblem and a steel naming as Mercedes Benz. It was famous in my colony & college as poor mans Merc
SHAHBAAZ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2017, 19:51   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron_head View Post
With scorpio being marketed as a premium SUV, Mr.Mahindra may have simply wanted to avoid this auto being seen on the roads anymore, with the rear of the scorpio bolted on to it.
Even though we don't know the logic behind Mr. Mahindra's move, we must appreciate that by this gesture, he has made sure there are absolutely no negative perceptions, and a lot of positive perceptions around the brand.

One could have made so many blunders: Ignorance being a major one too, apart from taking the legal route and asking the poor guy to get rid of the contraption. However this move of giving him a four wheeled carrier (again, not a Scorpio that might have been a white elephant - as someone rightly pointed out above) is a master stroke.

As far as these types of mods are concerned, I have actually seen more Maruti parts being used - pretty common were the zen rear - also the rounded, twin tail lights of the facelifted zen.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2017, 21:29   #20
BANNED

While I appreciate the move by Anand Mahindra, wasn't he actually trying to stop the "degradation" of image of the mighty Scorpio as a mere 3-wheeler auto rickshaw? Not sure whether it was a true one, but I had heard earlier that Bajaj bought back a Pulsar from a customer who used it as a vehicle to sell fish.
Old 4th May 2017, 21:38   #21
Team-BHP Support

Mainstream media finds it newsworthy too
http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/bus...r-2271267.html
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2017, 21:52   #22
Senior - BHPian

OMG, for a second of fleeting glance I thought I saw a shrunk Scorpio. A verygood gesture indeed on part of Mr. Mahindra. But shouldn't he had given a Scorpio to the man for his "Autopio"? After all that is what that man is fan of?

Last edited by pgsagar : 4th May 2017 at 21:54.
pgsagar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th May 2017, 22:37   #23
BHPian

This also tells us to continue to dream. People may make fun of you but you never know when lady luck would shine.

I am sure this would have featured as a bad mod but look what he got out of it. Its a story that he can share for life.
LoneWolf9 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2017, 22:42   #24
BHPian

A nice gesture from Mahindra!
Now if Tata has the same idea,this man will be lucky too!
Man mods rickshaw with 'Scorpio' rear - Anand Mahindra makes him a Supro owner-18221653_10211171883566908_796776727203936360_n.jpg
Man mods rickshaw with 'Scorpio' rear - Anand Mahindra makes him a Supro owner-18268119_10211171883526907_2900242987227709444_n.jpg

Last edited by LoneTraveller : 4th May 2017 at 22:46.
LoneTraveller is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 5th May 2017, 10:30   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Not sure whether it was a true one, but I had heard earlier that Bajaj bought back a Pulsar from a customer who used it as a vehicle to sell fish.
Should be fake news as I have seen hundreds of Pulsar being used to sell Fish. Bajaj will have to open a new showroom just for buy back!

Anand Mahindra would not have even for a minute thought about it as degrading. I don't even understand how this Degrades the brand value of Mahindra. He was clearly smitten by the modification and he would really have felt proud because Scorpio is his baby.
RaghuVis is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th May 2017, 10:38   #26
Team-BHP Support

Sweet gesture. Anand Mahindra's presence on Twitter has done M&M's auto division a lot of good in the PR department. Remember how he gifted Thars to athletes who won medals in Olympics? Try posting a grievance on Twitter regarding your Mahindra vehicle woes and I am pretty sure they will get the right traction.
moralfibre is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th May 2017, 11:04   #27
Senior - BHPian

Man, the Nano rikshaw looks better than Nano ! Looking at the prancing horse, would Ferrari do the same ?

When I read the title, I thought he got a Scorpio. Shows how some CEOs make themselves part of everyday life and close to public through the use of social media.

Last edited by srishiva : 5th May 2017 at 11:06.
srishiva is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th May 2017, 12:14   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneTraveller View Post
A nice gesture from Mahindra!
Now if Tata has the same idea,this man will be lucky too!
Not sure if Tata would like to do something like Mahindra did, equating Nano with Autorikhaw is one of the reason for Nano's marred reputation.
S.MJet is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2017, 12:24   #29
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron_head View Post
Well, this reminds me of the age old Rolls Royce story about a wealthy Indian in pre-independence era not being allowed to buy an RR because RR said his status doesn't deserve one. The man apparently bought several RRs later and used them as garbage trucks to protest, which did a lot of bad press for the elite RR. RR later apologized and made him stop using it for plying garbage. I don't know if this story is true.

With Scorpio being marketed as a premium SUV, Mr.Mahindra may have simply wanted to avoid this auto being seen on the roads anymore, with the rear of the Scorpio bolted on to it.
This legend is attributed to no less than 4 separate Nobles of India.
Jai Singh, Maharaja of Alwar. The Maharaja of Patiala, Bhupinder Singh. It is also attributed to the Nizam of Hyderabad Mukkaram Jah. And the Maharaja of Bharatpur.

Now who actually did this?
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2017, 13:16   #30
BHPian

As far as I understand things, one among the above list did not actually loosen his purse strings to acquire these automobiles. He purported to have sent missives to the actual owners in his state expressing his pleasure in having these cars gifted to him. Of course, the ruler's pleasure was paramount and invariably the wishes were fulfilled.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks