Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2017, 10:01   #31
BHPian

Re: Which car has the most uncomfortable seat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drift2race View Post
For me it would be the Ford Ecosport , the front seats on the car have such thick squab which gushes into your back . Makes driving really uncomfortable on long journeys .
Well, for me Ecosport's front seat is the best I have experienced till date. It is a size small than what you see in the segment, but then the advantage is that it wraps me perfectly. My chronic back ache problem, which surfaces over long drives, has almost vanished after I moved to the Ecosport.
civic-sense is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 10:35   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Well, for me Ecosport's front seat is the best I have experienced till date. It is a size small than what you see in the segment, but then the advantage is that it wraps me perfectly. My chronic back ache problem, which surfaces over long drives, has almost vanished after I moved to the Ecosport.
Exactly. Same here. I found the Ecosport front seats the best I have seen so far among all cars. Hugs you tight and the head restraints perfectly designed to support your head and neck, and provide a very relaxed posture. Lumbar support is adjustable too.
I never felt any fatigue even after driving for 8-9 hours continuously. All other cars gave me tremendous stress. Dramatic difference with EcoSport seats.
penpavan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 10:36   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
I agree!
I am 5'8" and weight around 80 kilos but to me the EcoSport driver's seat is a great place to be in, all day long. When I bought the car, I used to weigh around 100, and even then, it was quite comfortable, albeit a little bit cramped. Mind you, I had cervical spondylosis both then and now.
My other current car, is the new gen Scorpio 4WD, and leaving aside it's crappy ride and handling, the driver's seat by comparison has no under thigh or side support, which basically means that it pitches the driver all around because the whole contraption is a 'kids' bouncy castle' by design. It's very difficult to walk out of that without aching joints and back after a long day's drive.
Coming to the rear seat's, even though the EcoSport is cramped, my old and arthritic parents do not complain in it, even for full day drives. However, they are quick to Veto the Scorpio because their back starts hurting within an hour or so. My ES is Petrol and what that means is that on most family vacations, I end up having to pay a lot more for fuel by having to take the EcoSport along.

That said, the worst seat to me ever would be the stock Driver's seat of any MM series jeep. The overall ergonomics, seating position etc. in there is so off and uncomfortable. Thar is much improved in comparison, but still quite an uncomfortable place to be in, if I had to spend all day.

Last edited by roy_libran : 23rd October 2017 at 10:41.
roy_libran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 12:07   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

A wonderful concept for a thread & boy is this one tough to answer! There are so many of them in contention.

1. Maruti OMNI - I know this van hardly gets considered on our forum, but it is sold as a passenger car for personal use (I had one myself!) and all seats + suspension setup make it one of the most uncomfortable rides. While the rear seats have a good leg room, they are placed so low that all vertebrae get remolded by the time the journey is over.

2. A strange entry on this thread has to be Tata Safari. 5 of its occupants get probably the best & most comfortable seats on this side of 20 lakhs. But the 2 "seats" in the back along with the car's shape and pillar angles were mostly designed for use in gulags by the Russians. I suspect an electrocution chair will be more comfortable than these - even when powered on!
I'm 6'3" and sitting there will always be the most uncomfortable I have ever been - in all aspects .

Last edited by Reinhard : 23rd October 2017 at 12:36.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 13:22   #35
Senior - BHPian

IMHO, Wagon R has the most comfortable seats. However, the iffy ride quality & body roll will negate all the comfort that the seats offer. Spending hours in the car will result in fatigue. This results in an illusion of uncomfortable seats.

Last edited by jetsetgo08 : 23rd October 2017 at 13:23.
Old 23rd October 2017, 14:42   #36
Senior - BHPian

For me, the worst seat in a car, has to be the ones in the Bolero.
It is a deadly combination of absence of contouring, and poor resin.

In a bike, the honors would go to the KTM RC twins' pillion seat.
The pillion seat in these things, do not qualify as 'seats', in my books.
I would rather walk, than risk my backside on these plastic contraptions!
abhishek46 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2017, 01:35   #37

Personally found the rear seat if the Endeavour terribly uncomfortable over highway journey.
But that was partly due to the soft suspension setup.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 24th October 2017 at 03:34. Reason: Corrected spelling of ' Endeavour'.
Old 24th October 2017, 08:22   #38
Team-BHP Support

My list is as follows

i10 Grand front seat - fixed head rest is too low for me and I get a neck ache while craning forward. Seat is also too narrow.

Tavera rear seat -everything is wrong with it
Bolero rear seat - meant to masochistic midgets
Contessa rear seat -too low and too short - I used to insist that the taxi co sent the 1800 cc Isuzu ambassador instead
Duster front seats - not enough travel
Fiat 1100 - front bench - how do Mumbai taxi wallahs survive?

Best seats

Any German car front seats
Merc V213 E-class rear seat - I just slept off
Jetta rear seat - well contoured
Xylo rear seat - it is really good, shame about the rest of the car
Ambassador rear sear - plenty of space to snooze and much more
ajmat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th October 2017, 08:34   #39
BHPian

I checked the Renault Captur yesterday and think it must be the most un ergonomic seats ever in cars more than 10 lakhs. Very high that the steering bumps against your knee, hardly any height adjustment, fixed arm rest and absolutely no space to rest your left feet. The car looks smashing from outside but very poor space in both front and back seat. Disclaimer I am 6'1
Old 24th October 2017, 09:51   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drift2race View Post
For me it would be the Ford Ecosport , the front seats on the car have such thick squab which gushes into your back . Makes driving really uncomfortable on long journeys .

However to include one more likely candidate , it's my 2008 Swift VDi which has also terrible front seats really uncomfortable on long journeys .
Not sure about this, as I am 6'6", big built and used to average 120+ km / day in the Ecosport and didn't find it too bad. The rear seats though are a bit stiff for the most part.
Old 24th October 2017, 10:09   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Of the cars I have tried, the Hyundai Accent was the worst. I wont say I have tried too many cars, but this took (away ?) the cake

But as a common complaint, the middle seat of 2nd row on cars where the 2nd row has a retractable hand-rest is BAD !

Last edited by condor : 24th October 2017 at 10:20.
Old 24th October 2017, 10:15   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agarwaka View Post
Not sure about this, as I am 6'6", big built and used to average 120+ km / day in the Ecosport and didn't find it too bad. The rear seats though are a bit stiff for the most part.
On most cars, I find the rear seat design so brain dead. They are, IMO, needlessly uncomfortable.

Take the Duster for example : oodles of space; excellent ride but lousy seats. The rear is basically a flat bench with no incline capability to the backrest. Inadequate thigh support and bolstering add to make needlessly uncomfortable seats saved only by the seat height.

The Baleno suffers from this as well and so does the Jazz, to an extent.

The front seats in the Duster are slightly better but can be much more comfortable if they had better thigh support and bolstering.

Deeply disappointing. The seats are adequate despite these flaws. I am only 5'9" tall, so it is not due to uncommon body type either.

Last edited by sridhu : 24th October 2017 at 10:18.
Old 24th October 2017, 11:30   #43
Senior - BHPian

Surprised to see mention of Baleno and Ciaz in this thread.

I always thought modern Maruti's have stupendous front seat comfort with good amount of side bolstering and lower back support, as well as decent underthigh support. Guess i was wrong!

Coming to my Xcent (or grand i10 for that matter) - i find the front seats were good without the after market art leather seat covers. The seat covers have levelled the decent side boulstering and underthigh suppport somewhat. Also, as AJMAT mentioned - the fixed head restraint is too low. But other than this, i do not find the seats to be too bad on long drives. It does not induce much tiredness as much as say a WagonR would do.
Old 24th October 2017, 12:02   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
The previous gen fluidic Verna had very uncomfortable rear seats. On a 5 hour drive people were scrambling to sit at the front since these was much better. In comparison, the rear seats of 3rd Gen City were quite comfortable.
Somehow, I feel the backseats of fluidic Verna are rather comfortable. They sure are not as high as one would want them to be, but the comfort feels enough to me. I once rode in the backseat of my Verna with armrest down for about 4-5 hrs (Dad was driving) and I didn't feel any problem at all.
Old 23rd May 2018, 14:24   #45
BHPian

I've personally owned an Esteem, Optra and now a Maruti Celerio. From the day I've bought the Celerio, I've constantly had back and tail bone pain.

I usually spend 3 hours (minimum) driving everyday and I've never felt comfortable in the so called "Bucket" seats. Initially, I thought it was just me being on the heavier side causing the discomfort, but then even my girlfriend (she has ideal weight for her height) started complaining about being uncomfortable and having back pain when sitting for even 30 minutes in the car.

We've never had this problem in my previous 2 cars. I've heard many Celerio owners complaining about the seats which offer minimal thigh and nearly non-existent back support.

I've had to replace the seats to make the car more comfortable since I spend a good amount of time in there. I now have seats from a Swift desire fitted in my car and they provide much better comfort than the OEM seats the car came with.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks