Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2006, 06:29   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Wheeliej, would that be a ploy by the brokers to give you less? Wont be surprised if they had sold the same vehicle as a 3 year old, based on the date of registration.

One could always argue that the company didnt deliver it till Jan ..
Old 22nd December 2006, 20:27   #32
BHPian

Current Discounts of say 22000 + savings of say 15000 due to prices increases next year + increases in loan rates + increases in third party insurance and other costs will be much more than the resale differences after 4-5 yrs. Why pay 45,000 more today to save 10,000 after say 5 / 6 yrs.

Only catch points are - go for a new model and no resale plans in coming 5-6 yrs. For luxury cars, probably waiting for the next yr is a better idea.
Old 23rd December 2006, 10:19   #33
Senior - BHPian

Well I m in the same dilemma as the original poster for this thread. I m thinking of buying a hyundai automatic for now. But the automatic is a guzzler of a car. Having said that I come to the same question as to whether buying it now is better or next year. I even spoke to hyundai about rising costs and stuff like that. However I wanted to make a note of these here as info for others if it may help

- if its a company leased car as in my case, company pays insurance irrespective of how much it costs
- if its company leased, i get 1/3rd of the money i spend as EMI, and on fuel bills (the emi here is a bit more than normal bank loans, and the fuel bills have a limit as to how much you can claim - i think its 20k km a yr)

the only catch is that I ve to stay in the company till my lease ends which might be a 3 yr or a 4 yr schedule as the case may be!

now this comes to a saving of 1 lakh almost on the On road price of say 4.75 lakhs as in my case (which means it ll come to 3.75), keeping all these discounts in mind.

now if you buy a car in this week by yourself (end dec) then you ll end up having a 20% depreciation on your car straightaway on jan 1, which means on an ex showroom price of say 4 lacs this amounts to 80k down so the value of car on jan 1 is 3.2 lacs!!

so its sensible seeing it either ways before making a decision. if you are spending money by yourself, and you want to keep the car for long (say 5+ years), and your yearly driving is about 10km, then buying it end december helps by reducing your input costs.

but please dont buy a car keeping these gimmicks of increased freight costs and stuff like that claimed by car companies. with more and more new models coming in, existing players will have to down the value of the car substantially in the coming year.
Old 23rd December 2006, 12:36   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Would you please explain what difference does the manufacturing date makes on a car as long as the manufacturers does not add any new features or change the engine specifications ?
So, if you are in the market for a second hand car, would you rather buy a dec 2003 car, or a jan 2004 model?
Old 27th December 2006, 06:28   #35
BANNED

The obsession of model year in India though is strange. Unlike in the west, where model years have a real, physical impact on the car itself; each manufacturer makes several changes to the model every year and for top-end cars model year differences can be substantial, including power and performance, styling, boot space etc.

In India models don’t change year on year. Also the real reason for the model year obsession abroad is the platform upgrades that companies carry out every year to keep models fresh.

In India, typically, a platform lasts relatively untouched for at least five years before the company carries out significant changes in it.
Old 27th December 2006, 11:52   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
The obsession of model year in India though is strange. Unlike in the west, where model years have a real, physical impact on the car itself; each manufacturer makes several changes to the model every year and for top-end cars model year differences can be substantial, including power and performance, styling, boot space etc.

In India models don’t change year on year. Also the real reason for the model year obsession abroad is the platform upgrades that companies carry out every year to keep models fresh.

In India, typically, a platform lasts relatively untouched for at least five years before the company carries out significant changes in it.

they make several changes to a model every year? and then the real reason is 'platform upgrades' ??? hello!!!
Old 29th November 2007, 09:42   #37

Buy a car in Dec 07 or in Jan 08?

A colleague of mine and I are planning to buy an SX4 (each ;-)) on the company car lease scheme. Now, he was telling me that if we wait for just a month longer and get the car delivered in Jan 08 as opposed to getting it delivered in Dec 07, it makes a big difference when you are planning to sell it.

If I understand correctly, the manufacturing date is what one usually goes by when buying a used car, don't they? So, to really get a 2008 model how long would one have to wait?

Besides, does it matter?

Mod's Note: Please use the search feature to find a relevant open thread to post your query. There is no point in opening new threads again and again on the same old topics.
Old 1st December 2007, 06:43   #38
BANNED

Manufacturing date is not important. What it matters is the date on the RC book !
Old 3rd December 2007, 11:19   #39
RMB
BHPian

Hi Guys, Even I am in this problem now. I have booked a Swift VDi white in my home town last month and was supposed to get the vehicle in Jan or Feb 08. But someone cancelled the booking because they were expecting white and silver is being distpatched on 11th Dec. Since no one is buying this color, the dealer has offered me the car.

Should I go for it? (I am thinking of go for it as I have no problem with silver).

Also needed help on getting the car registered in Bangalore in Jan as I am thinking of getting it on Temp registration. Please let me know if you know any agents or contacts in R.T.nagar RTO.
Old 18th October 2009, 16:32   #40
BHPian

Planning to get SUV, should I wait till 2010 ?

I am planning to get an SUV, but found that it might take anywhere from 4-5 weeks which would be sometime middle of November and with in a month the SUV will be 1 year older. Decided to wait and buy 2010 SUV even if there is no new release.

Should I wait till 2010 ?

If I order end of November and delivery is starting/middle of Jan, would I get 2009 vehicle or 2010 ?

Thanks
Old 18th October 2009, 16:50   #41
Senior - BHPian

Yep. Waiting makes sense if you're okay with it. Not sure about when you should place the order but try to a get a 2010 vehicle.
Old 18th October 2009, 18:29   #42
BHPian

Try booking in November/December for a 2010 model if your dealer lets you do that. That way you might get a good price along with good offers!

Having said that, it might not be possible to do so since they have to close their books for every year and publish their sales numbers. But if they let you do that nothing like it, worth a shot!
Old 18th October 2009, 18:41   #43
Senior - BHPian

What suv are you going to buy ?
Old 19th October 2009, 13:23   #44
BHPian

Most likely it will be a Scorpio. I will be opening a separate thread in a while once I start the process.

Thanks McLaren Rulez & alexnazim.
Old 19th October 2009, 13:48   #45
BANNED

I think you should book it in December and take delivery in early Janaury, if you can get discount while its low season then it will be very good deal.
Last time my F.I.L. bought that way and saved quite a lot on SX4.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks