Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2009, 20:53   #61
BHPian

In your case (Ritz diesel I presume ), you may keep in mind the fact that Maruti has been offering a discount of 10k + in-dash music system for a while. Check the december offers and compare the same with the above.

If there is a sizable difference (read tempting discounts!), only then go for a december car else wait for Feb as yu are likely to get the above discounts (or likewise) in the new year too.
Old 1st December 2009, 20:55   #62
BHPian

It is actually very sensible to buy cars in December and pros don't just limit to huge discounts offers but also consider these things too:

1. Prices almost always shoot up in January.
2. We are expecting double price hike this January due to advent of BSIV norms.
3. Huge discounts balance out marginal loss in value.
4. Even in January, You may not find a 2010 manufactured car due to stocks at dealer points and manufacturer points.

But, I will also point a major disadvantage this year of buying in December and this has to do with Auto Expo in January. We expect hordes of new cars launched in almost all segments so you may miss out a on good new launch. Once again, even for these new launches, you can be pretty sure that cars in dealership in January would be 2009 make.
Old 1st December 2009, 23:33   #63
BHPian

I have booked an SX4 ZXi and expect it to be delivered in the second week of December. I propose to buy it then, but get the vehicle registered in January 2010. By and large, the age of a vehicle is determined from the date of first registration, not from the date of manufacture.
Old 2nd December 2009, 00:26   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laxminarayan View Post
Buying a car in december or not matters how long do you want to keep the car......
This is actually the main factor. I booked my car on 26th Dec '07. Registration was done on 2nd Jan '08. Garuda Autocraft Blr were most helpful regarding this and this took care of the second concern raised by delix (pasted below).
I intend to keep this car for a while actually and really don't care much about resale. Also, this was an impulse purchase and I wanted delivery really quick.
We Indians are too hung up on things like resale value. Just buy the damn thing and enjoy. Cruise into 2010 with a brand new Ritz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delix View Post
...Insurance companies regards the car to be 1 year old even if you regiser the car on January (they give the logic that insurance companies regrard the age of the car as calculated from the date of manufacture irrespective of the date of registration of the car)....
Old 2nd December 2009, 08:49   #65
BANNED

+1 to what Roy S said. It doesnt make too much of a difference and moreover the advantages of things like discounts etc outweigh the disadvantages by a great extent.

And what could be better than to have your own new car on New Year's Day.
Old 2nd December 2009, 09:22   #66
BHPian

I don't see any issues in buying a car in December. I myself have booked a Ritz and is going to take delivery this week after registration. I plan to keep the car for 5+ years, so I am not really worried about resale. Also, car buyers are getting more informed day by day. Expect people to ask for manufacturing date of the car rather than registration date. Any used car dealer would know about this.

In any case, if you are selling your car to an informed buyer, it shouldn't be a problem explaining him about the registration date vs manufacturing date.
Old 2nd December 2009, 09:29   #67
BHPian

If you buy it on dec or even jan-feb you may still end up buying a 2009 model. in rc book there is a column called year of manufacture. i believe this determines if the car is a 09 or 10 one rather than when you register it.
Old 2nd December 2009, 11:23   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir_bn View Post
Best thing to do it,book the car and do a temperory registration and make the final registration in Jan/10. Since the car value is seen from the registration date. you will not lose on resale/ but you will get lots of discount in this month. Just now one of the maruthi dealers had called up and told that they were giving 50K cash discount on the new SX4. So go for the kill IMO
Cool!! This sounds good.. Will have to shell out some more money for the temporary registration, but i believe the advantages are worth it..
Old 2nd December 2009, 13:54   #69
BHPian

Throughout the year there are periods when you can get bargains of the season.
1) Diwali
2) December
3) Ending of financial year
4) Pre monsoon

(in that order of amount of discount)

So to get a good discount, December is right time, unless you want to wait till March.

Regarding the registration date, if the temporary registration can be delayed into January 2010 then go for it. Else dont worry much as you dont intend a resale for next 5 years.
Old 2nd December 2009, 14:09   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh51 View Post
Even in January, You may not find a 2010 manufactured car due to stocks at dealer points and manufacturer points. ......
very true, until and unless you are buying a very rare selling machine, i am sure, you would not get a made in January thing until the start of February.

To me, it completely makes a sense to buy a car in December and get it registered in January.
Old 2nd December 2009, 14:22   #71
Senior - BHPian

If you are not in a hurry for a car (ofcourse you will lose the december discounts), then wait till january. There are chances to get cars with some upgradation - but in the meantime there may be price increase also. December is the month for dealers to boost the sale to achieve their targets.

When the car is on resale, the prospective buyers first quetion will be the year of built (not month) so 2009 december built is as much as 2009 built.

Alternatively, you can discuss with the dealer and finalise the rate/discount etc
and tell him that you need January manufactured car or as suggested by others
register the car only on january 2010?
Old 2nd December 2009, 14:31   #72
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir_bn View Post
Best thing to do it,book the car and do a temperory registration and make the final registration in Jan/10. Since the car value is seen from the registration date. you will not lose on resale/ but you will get lots of discount in this month. Just now one of the maruthi dealers had called up and told that they were giving 50K cash discount on the new SX4. So go for the kill IMO
Individuals like us when we buy the car look at the registation date. But the Car dealers (car buyers look at the date of manufacturing.)

I have seen this happening to my own dec manufactured and feb registered vehicle.

So I DO NOT recommend a Dec manufactured vehicle to anyone unless one is upfront getting a 10% discount.
Old 2nd December 2009, 14:50   #73
BHPian

Hi Folks,
Iam planning for the Ritz VXI and till end of dec there is a 15k cash discount available. So here is my plan. Let me know if its a wise thing.
Planning to go ahead and pay the Showroom price less 15k, get the vehicle in Jan 1st week and then go ahead and pay the insurance + RTO charges.
Meanwhile I can do a PDI and be safe to raise a flag in case of any damage /niggles to the car.
Whats say?
Old 2nd December 2009, 15:29   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funnyguru View Post
Hi Folks,
Iam planning for the Ritz VXI and till end of dec there is a 15k cash discount available. So here is my plan. Let me know if its a wise thing.
Planning to go ahead and pay the Showroom price less 15k, get the vehicle in Jan 1st week and then go ahead and pay the insurance + RTO charges.
Meanwhile I can do a PDI and be safe to raise a flag in case of any damage /niggles to the car.
Whats say?
15K off on Ritz VXI is a great deal, i guess. last time i heard that MUL is not offering any discount on the petrol version of this product, because of the demand for a brilliant 1.2 K-series engine.

although the diesel was being sold with a discount of 10K.
Old 2nd December 2009, 15:52   #75
Senior - BHPian

I am getting 36k off on verna diesel auto should i wait till Jan/Feb or go ahead anyway. Called Hyundai Verna prod head he assures not change/updates in verna epected for some time to come, even Airbags wont be added.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks