Team-BHP - Cars that give you that ‘pushed into the seat’ feeling
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Cars that give you that ‘pushed into the seat’ feeling (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/192452-cars-give-you-pushed-into-seat-feeling-6.html)

The best experience I've ever had was in a Tesla Model S on an interstate highway during my last visit to the US. My friend owns the beauty and he showed me what really getting pushed into the seat means! In about 3 seconds or so, you get a 60 MPH kick back!

I've experienced this in a few cars. Not driven too many. Of the cars I have driven, one stands out and it is the BMW 530D. The undisputed king of thrust. The power is raw and undiluted. This car reminded me of that feeling the first time I traveled by air. The take off sequence. You are almost pinned to your seat. There is the so called "silly grin" and then there are cars that'll make you laugh while you're at it. You are left in disbelief of what is going on. The 530D is the latter.

I have heard that even a 2l 718 Cayman does not match the BMW.

Quote:

Originally Posted by drmohitg (Post 4305409)
I would be tempted to vote for BMW 320D if I hadn't driven the Chevrolet Cruze. Its tagline was "diesel rocket" and a rocket it was. I have never yet experienced that kind of brute acceleration and getting pinned to your seat. You have to drive it to believe it.

Aptly said.
One has to have a heart to floor it and then hold on to the gear to experience the thrust. And it revs to the redline. Sadly it’s the old cruze (5speed) and the new cruze does not have the same feeling

I worked as an automobile reviewer for a brief period a few years ago and I had the pleasure to drive several beauties on wheels. The one that will always be my favourite is the Jaguar F-type R. This comes from someone who also drove the Audi R10 and a few other fast cars.

The best part about the F-type R was the way it produces all that power instantly (read madly). I remember putting my foot down on the throttle when I entered Bandra-Worli Sea link and the car drifted all the way through the turn from Worli entrance. I literally exited the sea link road just to get back on it and come back again to experience that mad drifting which was unintended for the most part of it.

Every gear threw me back on the seat as the car revved and made those beastly rattling exhaust notes. The car loved to fishtail and did it gracefully with a grin on my face. Took the same road three times just to get from Worli showroom to Andheri. Did the same when I had to drop the car after three days. Those were the best three days of my automobile career. It was uncomfortable for long rides but that was negated the moment one started that car.

If you really want to experience the thrill of driving, go test ride this beauty. It is a fairly old car and will be easy to get for a test run. Try it. Thank me later. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhpfaninblr (Post 4306092)
The Ritz 1.3 Multijet. The turbo lag (or rather power kick) at around 1800 rpm. Would throw the driver and passengers back....Super car!

agree:. That jackhammer kick post 1800 rpm had me pinned to the seat for the short time i spent with her with me grinning like a maniac:D. Sad, that Maruti Suzuki discontinued its production. And much to the chagrin, manufacturers are dialing down raw performance to appeal the mass market tastes.

Few i can rem:
First Gen Hyundai Verna Crdi
Optra TCDi
Hyundai Getz Crdi
Swift Diesel 1st gen

Few i own:
530d M Sport
1st gen Chevy Cruze
1st gen Octavia vRS

Out of all the above 530d thrust gives true take off feeling.

On the contrary belief i find cruze's delivery to be bit linear but still a very capable fast car. It indeed is a diesel rocket but in a slight muted way.

I love this thread, exactly the kind of cars i love to drive.
I also agree that diesels brought power to the masses and the turbo shove that most got to experience for the first time in Gen 1 Swift Diesel was sort of a mini revolution in Indian Car industry if you ask me.

I was a relative noobie to driving back in 2010 and i had driven petrol i20, Civic and Swifts at that time and i was totally caught off guard when i drove my brother's Swift Diesel for the first time and turbo kicked in.
I just had to get one of those, instead i got a Cruze (the pre facelift version) :D
I really had the best times of my life driving around in that, there was lag but that shove was not fake, even if you are driving it at 2500 rpm and floor the throttle you got pinned to your seat.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 4305356)
Other cars:

Abarth Punto
Octavia & Laura 1.8 & 2.0 TSIs
Mustang
S-Cross 1.6
Polo 1.6 GT TDI
Chevrolet Cruze (it's original tune)
Volvo S60 T6
Many modified cars (Jitu's insane 400 BHP Honda City is first to come to mind)

I would like to add the VW 2.0 engine too to this list, i first experienced it in the A3 and then Jetta too and those felt even better than my Cruze, low end was way better too.
Also the first gen Verna was the very first car which had that mad turbo rush but this never got to the masses in the same way as Swift did. I never got to drive it though but i clearly and fondly remember a test drive my dad took of that Verna, he bought the Civic instead :D
It deserves a mention here though.

So,
All those and (all diesels)
Audi A3
Audi A4
VW Jetta
Hyundai Verna (Gen 1)
Maruti Suzuki Swift (Gen 1)

The 2000 Honda Prelude in 2nd gear at 6k rpm. You just don't want to let go of the gas at all!

One of my friends had a 2009 model Getz Prime that had this beast of an engine. A 1.5 CRDi that literally meant you were pinned to your seat. Apart from this, even the second gen SX4, that's part of my garage, has quite a bit of wallop to it. And this is despite its kerb weight.

My Car the Skoda Fabia1.6 Petrol. A market dud but what a car.

Slightly :OT but the Volvo 8400 low floor bus with its seamless automatic transmission packs a decent shove if accelerated hard. Not unusual to find passengers pushing hard but countered by the surge, unable to move!

In the list of cars which I have driven / owned for longer duration, the below ones definitely qualify
1. Optra magnum tdi :- owned one long back and oh man, the brutal torque and turbo lag used to give me a flight take off like experience on highways
2. Chevy Cruze :- drove it couple of times on expressways and it was awesome

You have to add the Ford Figo, 1.5 Diesel.

Anyone who owns this car or has driven one will vouch for what i'm gonna say, The figo is one of the better accelerating cars on sale today. The normal Figo needs a tyre upgrade, but the Figo S with the bigger, wider rubber and stiff suspension is nothing short of an 'experience'.

Quote:

Originally Posted by prakyath89 (Post 4306389)
Man this has got be one of my favorite topics! My experience with my Dodge Charger has been absolutely amazing. I've been pushed back every time I step on the accelerator pedal.

Little off topic.
Is that MYSURU in the number plate?

Quote:

Originally Posted by fordday (Post 4307051)
Little off topic.
Is that MYSURU in the number plate?

Yes it is! :) I wanted to get just "MYSURU" and apparently it was taken in Illinois already. So I settled with this.

Cars that give you that ‘pushed into the seat’ feeling-23335524_1988100057873466_1183779634_o.jpg