Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2018, 15:34   #481
Team-BHP Support

Re: The next-gen Hyundai Santro

SangYup Lee - VP Hyundai styling group opens up about the styling aspects of the Hyundai Santro -

Old 3rd November 2018, 09:43   #482
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
I am in the same soup. Buying the car for my father, it'll be very less used but want the convenience of an automatic.

The Tiago XTA is about 30k cheaper than the Santro Magna, and that adds to the confusion. However, I am inclined towards the Santro because -

The only thing that is stopping me to go with the Santro is that it doesn't come with passenger airbag whereas Tiago does. I wish Hyundai would have not compromised on the safety of the passenger.

Sorry for going off topic, but does the XTA offer dual airbags as standard? I thought its only the XZA in the Tiago that offers safety equipment and whereas the XTA has no airbags nor ABS. At least this is what Carwale lists in their site currently.
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2018, 10:36   #483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
While I agree with what you say, some points to consider.

Hope I did not sound Anti-TATA as that was not the intention. Please Ignore if suggestions found useless.
Thank you for your valuable suggestions. Not considering the Ignis as it exceeds the budget and a big no-no when it comes to looks. I am also recommending Hyundai over Tata considering after sales service and long terms reliability concerns and also the Santro being a 4 cylinder.

Last edited by navin : 3rd November 2018 at 11:07. Reason: edited quote.
aditya.86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2018, 21:31   #484
Senior - BHPian

Re: Took the Santro AMT for a spin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Long story short, I am still as confused as I was earlier. I prefer the Ignis - design wise on the inside out that is. And my wife prefer Santro's design.
You should definitely go for the Ignis. Considering the discounts available on the Ignis and the too high asking price for the top end variants of the Santro, the Ignis definitely has the edge here. Quirkly rear styling apart, its a much better choice in all other aspects. The K12 motor of the Ignis wins hands down. There is no contest here.

Considering the fact that both are AMT's the Ignis would definitely be the better bet. The interior design and instrument panel of the Ignis is leagues ahead of the Santro.It exudes a premium feel unlike the Santro which is more budget grade, unlike its asking price.
longhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2018, 00:14   #485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
You should definitely go for the Ignis. Considering the discounts available on the Ignis and the too high asking price for the top end variants of the Santro, the Ignis definitely has the edge here. Quirkly rear styling apart, its a much better choice in all other aspects. The K12 motor of the Ignis wins hands down. There is no contest here.

Considering the fact that both are AMT's the Ignis would definitely be the better bet. The interior design and instrument panel of the Ignis is leagues ahead of the Santro.It exudes a premium feel unlike the Santro which is more budget grade, unlike its asking price.
I agree completely. Also, Maruti's service network is excellent and parts are cheaper than Hyundai, which will lead to an overall lower TCO. Hence, the Ignis does present an overall more compelling choice. I'd like to add my own experience owning a Swift, whose design my wife and I found very quirky in 2008, when I bought it. But Boy did we fall in love with it once we started doing a few long drives. Cars tend to grow on you once you own them

Last edited by HighwayofLife : 5th November 2018 at 00:17.
HighwayofLife is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2018, 10:12   #486
Distinguished - BHPian

Hyundai Santro AMT grabs 30 percent of bookings and mid-spec trims in most demand.

Quote:
The petrol-manual Santro has received the lion’s share of bookings, with 49 percent of the orders
Quote:
Hyundai
has also noted strong interest in the car’s CNG versions, which account for 21 percent of the bookings made so far
The base trim D-Lite makes up about 9 percent of the demand

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 6th November 2018 at 10:16.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2018, 11:34   #487
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayofLife View Post
Also, Maruti's service network is excellent and parts are cheaper than Hyundai...
Sorry for going OT, but do you have any facts to support your claim ?

From my personal experience, Hyundai parts and service costs are lesser than Maruti (for same segment cars). In fact, the parts and service costs of my colleague's 800cc Alto have always been higher compared to my 1.1L i10.

Rohan

Last edited by rohan_iitr : 8th November 2018 at 11:35.
rohan_iitr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2018, 11:59   #488
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
Santro Magna AMT is 14K more on road than Wagon R VXi AMT. Buying the Santro is a no brainer for us. It has more safety and convenience features. It drives better. Hyundai is offering more in exchange for the old Santro compared to Maruti. The mileage may be slightly lower but that's not a priority for us due to low running.
A quick update on this. Our car is expected to be delivered on the 15th. I still haven't seen any on the road except for the TD vehicle.
Gilead is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th November 2018, 19:52   #489
Senior - BHPian

2018 Santro Sportz AMT Automatic Test Drive Review

So I just test drove the new Santro AMT and came out pretty impressed.

The next-gen Hyundai Santro-1.jpg

There is a lot of comparison between this and my Tiago XZA. The Tiago actually is impressive in it's own right and stands neck and neck with the Santro in most departments.

The features list is what's impressive on the Tiago compared to the top end Sportz variant of the Santro.

These are the things missing on the Santro AMT which the Tiago has,

1. Alloy Wheels
2. Awesome 8 Speaker Harman Music System
3. Cooled Glovebox
4. Rear Parking Sensor's
5. Passenger side airbag
6. Steering wheel and Seat height adjustment
7. Dead Pedal
8. Drive Mode Select - Sport Mode

Things that the Santro AMT has which the Tiago XZA does not,

1. Touchscreen infotainment system, but does not get Apple Car Play nor Android Auto. Nor does it get rear camera.
2. Rear AC Vent's
3. Eco Coating tech which sends purified air through AC

What is better in the Tiago ?

1. The ride quality and handling seems slightly better
2. Steering feel and feedback better
3. Slightly more powerful Engine
4. Slightly bigger boot space 242 Liters
5. Built quality feels slightly better too, especially doors.

What is better in the Santro ?

1. AMT gearbox
2. Interior quality feels slightly more premium because of the Beige treatment
3. Seat Comfort and Space
4. Better warranty terms 4 Year's or 1,20,000 Km.

What is similar between the 2 ?

NVH and Refinement are so similar although the Tiago has a 3 cylinder engine.

What is really missing from the Santro is a passenger side airbag, hope Hyundai fixes this ASAP.

But where the Santro blows the Tiago out of the water , is in the AMT gearbox. It just feel so smooth and refined compared to the Tiago's. No confusions in gear searches even on hills. No jerkiness.

VERDICT :

Even though the Tiago is head and shoulders with the Santro in many aspects and has more features too, it really struggles with the poor gearbox and this is even without considering the problem I'm facing with it.

The Tiago fails in it's main function of providing a convenient drive to it's customer which the Santro excels at. So Santro is really very good and is definitely on it's way to huge success.

stanjohn123 is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 9th November 2018, 20:25   #490
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2018 Santro Sportz AMT Automatic Test Drive Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
So I just test drove the new Santro AMT and came out pretty impressed.
Thank you stanjohn123 for sharing your views, and I think its quite a helpful comparison.

My first car was Santro Xing. This was probably the most good looking Tall Boy design to ever hit Indian roads.

But the 2018 Santro is quite disappointing (IMO). I understand that it had to have Hyundai's Fluidic Design, but it seems to have lost the soul that this great nomenclature introduced.

And with the launch of Tiago JTP, I would put my money on this little hatch if I was in the market to buy an entry level hatch.
Vik0728 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th November 2018, 19:40   #491
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2018 Santro Sportz AMT Automatic Test Drive Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Thank you stanjohn123 for sharing your views, and I think its quite a helpful comparison.

My first car was Santro Xing. This was probably the most good looking Tall Boy design to ever hit Indian roads.

But the 2018 Santro is quite disappointing (IMO). I understand that it had to have Hyundai's Fluidic Design, but it seems to have lost the soul that this great nomenclature introduced.

And with the launch of Tiago JTP, I would put my money on this little hatch if I was in the market to buy an entry level hatch.
My first car too was Santro back in 2004. With the performance and everything I was too much in love with it. I drove it for 1 lakh kms before giving away. Then again in 2013 I bought another Santro with same character. I still have the second one. New 2018 Santro is indeed disappointing. Hyundai could have launched the old design again. Though it looks old it had some presence and difference. I feel it as most easy to drive car in city after trying all small hatches. After switching to Michelins its character is greatly improved.
Now as a next car I may switch to Ford Freestyle. I am missing that "attachment" factor in new 2018 Santro. It is like any other Hyundai car (like Eon?).
Old 10th November 2018, 20:19   #492
Senior - BHPian

There's a Santro in locality... The owner took delivery on Goverdhan Puja day (next day of Diwali). It was a white colour Asta varaint.
My sighting of the uncamoed car, & it definitely looks premium than competition, to my eyes screams premium (especially the interiors).

One point to add on , maintaining a Hyundai in past had been cheaper than Maruti (recorded on Team-BHP as well) with Santro, Santro Xing, Accent, etc xheapo to maintain than Wagon-R, Esteem, etc.
Only when Hyundai decided to go premium with i10 & other + increase in dealers pursuant to increase in sales & reputation, service costs & experience started getting bad for middle class 1st time buyers.

I hope Santro, with the number behind it can help better things improve for entry level buyers.
Old 11th November 2018, 19:57   #493
Senior - BHPian

30,000 bookings for Hyundai Santro, automatic becomes a favourite - URL

Happy to see that the Santro is doing well. While the car has its own misses in terms of the Safety aspects I think it has given a wake up call to both Tata and Maruti as it will compete with the Tata Tiago, Celerio and Wagon R.

I am hoping both Tata and Maruti respond back to this competition and bring in a better AMT Gearbox as that seems to be the Santro's strength. I am sure both Tata and Maruti would have already approached Magneti Marelli and started checking if electronic actuator based AMT gearbox can be made available in near future.

Competition is good for the end consumer and I hope to see some changes/improvements coming up in Tiago/Celerio/Wagon R sooner than normal due to pressure from the Santro sales
Old 16th November 2018, 17:04   #494
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai Santro continues testing: LPG/smaller engined variant in the works?
Source
Old 16th November 2018, 19:43   #495
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post
Hyundai Santro continues testing: LPG/smaller engined variant in the works?
Source
A Santro with a smaller engine can seriously hurt the Alto, and eat up the Kwid and Redigo. Hyundai are you listening!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks