Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2018, 13:26   #436
BHPian

Re: The next-gen Hyundai Santro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
It's disappointing as Maruti finally seem to be moving away from this strategy.
Sorry for going a bit OT here, why do you feel so? considering this:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post4483538

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...ml#post4474606 (New Maruti Swift gets just 2-stars in the Global NCAP)
Old 24th October 2018, 13:34   #437
BHPian

These are introductory prices, the revised ones I guess will be lower.

Santro has a brand value but if Hyundai thinks it can charge a segment lapsing premium and can do an Innova, it is probably wrong. Innova has no worthy competitor plus the expectations of people who buy Innova is different from the people who buy a Santro. This segment is a volume game and to drive volume, they need to price competitively.

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 24th October 2018 at 13:36.
Thermodynamics is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2018, 18:32   #438
BHPian

The new Santro was displayed in an event at my office today. It looks wider than the old i10. Build, inside out is of the best quality in the category. That and ABS and driver airbag as standard, it is an excellent buy in lower variants. If you want 2 airbags, Tiago top-end makes more sense than Santro Asta.
Attached Thumbnails
The next-gen Hyundai Santro-1540385960832.jpg  

itsashishsharma is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th October 2018, 19:20   #439
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
One reason is the Ncap crash test rating. This car (Datsun Go) is a coffin on wheels.
So are almost 30000 cars sold monthly in India.Im driving one everyday Including I guess the new Santro. I cannot from now honestly recommend anything south of Tiago with airbags other than the Datsun Go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik Chandra View Post
The Go has received the significant updates in the facelift launched this month and sales will reflect in the coming months. It would do ~2K units due to the limited reach that Nissan/Datsun has. Commendable effort by Datsun to equip the Go twins with Dual airbags, ABS with EBD & BA as standard

The Go T(O) variant at 4.89 lacs gives good value compared to Santro Asta @ 5.46 Lacs but Datsun lacks the brand pull.

The buyers in the segment don't care about crash rating and the other cars in the segment wouldn't do any better that the Go. Its just that Datsun brand does not command a recall in the minds of buyers in budget segment, all they think of is Alto/Wagon R, Eon/(now)Santro & Kwid
Completely agree. Although the NCAP report does say that the Datsun structure itself is unstable and adding airbags would be pointless. However having airbags with abs is better than not having at all and that too in base model at that price. Nissan should be commended for this.

Last edited by rascalangel : 24th October 2018 at 19:23.
rascalangel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2018, 20:14   #440
BHPian

Quote:
One reason is the Ncap crash test rating. This car (Datsun Go) is a coffin on wheels.
Would humbly disagree. Else the Swift would not sell as much as it does had Ncap rating been on the buyer's checklist. It's more to do with lack of brand image of Datsun.
jayram.r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2018, 23:56   #441
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rascalangel View Post
I just out of curiosity looked at Datsun Go offering. Two airbags,5 years warranty, follow me home headlamps, tinted glasses, front power windows in base model whose ex showroom price is 3.29 Lacs. That is a steal!! How the hell is it not selling? Compared to that the base Santro is way way way overpriced.
Totally agree with you there!!

Quote:
I believe that it used to be a Coffin on Wheels before the latest update. No one has noticed that with the update, the car has gained weight from 769Kgs to 846Kgs, a difference of 77Kgs, it cannot just be the weight of the new dashboard, touchscreen ICE, rear washer wiper and new bucket type front seats only, there has to be a structural component to meet the upcoming BNVSAP guidelines and get a better score at the next Global NCAP crash test, which I am sure would be conducted soon now that a new model is out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard1955 View Post
If I remember correctly, there were orders for Nissan to stop selling these cars. Not sure what Nissan did to revoke that order and start selling again.
As you have been corrected by another BHP-ian, it was SUGGESTED and not Ordered to them to stop selling the car in it's presently unsafe form in the general interest of the buyers! And there are so many cars selling in huge numbers from other reputed manufacturers which had unstable bosy structures and fared really badly in the Global NCAP tests, but are selling like hot cakes. Heck, even I bought my Nano a few weeks after the Crash Test results were out, but I had a specific need which only Nano could fulfill, as shared here (Tata Nano Twist XT: 4-year ownership report) (in my ownership review) and so I bought another brand's coffin on wheels and have happily covered over 41K kilometers in it in these past 4.5 years with a single accident!!

Quoting my comment from the Datsun Go: Official Review (Datsun Go : Official Review) thread below:-
Quote:
So, as per the new product brochure, attached with this reply, the new Go has an added length by 3mm from 3785mm to 3788mm, while the width has increased by 1mm to 1636mm (from 1635mm), the height has increased by 17mm to 1507mm (from 1490mm), while at 2450mm the wheelbase remains identical, the ground clearance has increased by 10mm to 180mm (from 170mm).

Also, I do not know if these are actual changes or just a change in nomenclature for the same thing, but the Suspension at front is now McPherson Strut with Lower Transverse Link (previous version had MacPherson Strut with Double Pivot Lower Arm) and at the rear is now Twist Beam Suspension with Coil Spring (previous version had H-Type Torsion Beam). I do not know if this will change the way this vehicle drives or not, but I hope it is an improvement because of the increased Ground Clearance and addition of a 14" Alloy Wheel with 10mm wider rubber.

The mileage has decreased from 20.1KMPL to 19.83KMPL in the newer version, maybe due to the additional weight increase [Kerb Weight of 769Kgs in the pre-facelift version (as per Team-BHP Official Car Review (Datsun GO+ : Official Review)), and 846Kgs in the new facelifted version(as per the new brochure)], while the engine power and torque values remain the same.

The addition of Dual Airbags, ABS with EBD and BA is a very welcome change. Hope the added weight of the car is because of added metal for Crash Test Safety and this model won't get a 0 Star in Global NCAP rating.
AdityaDeane is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th October 2018, 00:34   #442
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rascalangel View Post
I just out of curiosity looked at Datsun Go offering. Two airbags,5 years warranty, follow me home headlamps, tinted glasses, front power windows in base model whose ex showroom price is 3.29 Lacs. That is a steal!! How the hell is it not selling? Compared to that the base Santro is way way way overpriced.
It also doesn't have a power steering or Ac. The model with that costs 4.3 lacs ex showroom.
agambhandari is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2018, 00:52   #443
Senior - BHPian

An interesting article by CarDekho.com compares the Santro, Go, Tiago, WagonR and Celerio, here...

Quote:
With the introduction of the new Santro and the GO facelift, where do old players like the WagonR, Celerio and Tiago stand? We pit them against each other on paper to find out...

Hyundai has launched the new Santro in India. It rides on a new platform which Hyundai calls K1 and is not an entry-level Hyundai anymore. So, now it doesn’t compete with cars like the Alto, Kwid and redi-GO but rivals the likes of the Tata Tiago, Maruti Suzuki WagonR and Celerio and Datsun GO. With its launch, the competition in this segment has grown fiercer making it even more tough for buyers to zero-in on any one product. A spec comparison might not make you zero-in on the variant you should be buying, but it might help you to shortlist the car model that suits your needs. Let’s start by comparing the measurements.

DIMENSIONS:-
The updated Datsun GO is the longest of the lot and it has the longest wheelbase as well. That should ideally make it the most spacious too, but we’ve seen it before that wheelbase length doesn’t necessarily mean more space inside. In terms of boot space too, it’s the GO that takes the top spot.

The new Santro is among the shortest in this comparison as far as overall length is concerned and it doesn’t have the longest of the wheelbase as well. It is, however, amongst the widest cars and while that should give it some road presence, it should also ideally make it more comfortable to seat three at the rear bench.

ENGINE:-
The Tiago with its 1.2-litre engine is not only the most powerful car here but is the most frugal too. It is followed by the 1.1-litre Hyundai Santro that makes 69PS, which is 1 PS more than the 68PS of the 1.2-litre Datsun GO. The WagonR and the Celerio also match the Datsun with a similar power output of 68PS. When it comes to torque, the Maruti twins remain at the back of the line with 90Nm against the Tiago’s 114Nm, GO’s 104Nm and Santro’s 99Nm.

The Santro, WagonR and Celerio also come factory-fitted with CNG kits, trading in boot space for increased fuel efficiency. On the other hand, the Tiago is the only car here with a diesel engine option.

MEDIA AND SAFETY FEATURES:-
The Datsun GO is certainly the best-equipped cars in this category, especially in terms of safety. Unlike its rivals, the GO gets dual front airbags, ABS and rear parking sensors as standard. The Santro comes close as it gets driver side airbags and ABS as standard, while the passenger airbag and rear parking sensors are limited to top-spec variant only.

When it comes to comfort and other need-based features, the Santro takes the lead as it gets a 7-inch touchscreen infotainment system with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, reverse parking camera and rear AC vents. The Datsun GO is also equipped with a 7-inch touchscreen infotainment system with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto but it misses out on reverse parking camera and rear AC vents. Other cars in this comparison also miss out on these features including a touchscreen infotainment system. Instead, they get a 2-din music system.

PRICE:-
In terms of pricing, the Santro is certainly on the expensive side if you compare it with the Tiago and GO. The Datsun GO is also better equipped than the Santro in the base variant. In the top-spec variant as well, the Santro is considerably more expensive than the fully-loaded GO, while almost being at par with it in terms of features.

The introduction of the new Santro and the facelifted GO has surely turned on the heat in this segment. But competition in this segment will be more fierce than ever once Maruti Suzuki launches the new WagonR in January 2019.
P.S. - Kindly check the tables of the compared data by clicking on the link shared above!!

In the meanwhile, for those confused between the Tiago and the new Santro, Cartoq.com has a comparative article between the two. Hope it helps...

Last edited by AdityaDeane : 25th October 2018 at 00:57. Reason: Added more details
AdityaDeane is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2018, 02:19   #444
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
It also doesn't have a power steering or Ac. The model with that costs 4.3 lacs ex showroom.
4.3 L for the go doesn't look like a great deal afterall with an underwhelming sale and service experience along with suspect safety. I feel people will be happy to spend 50k extra to get a mid variant Santro or a base ignis (with discounts) over the go. The Santro is overpriced but am pretty sure Hyundai will very soon introduce the usual exchange offers along with the free insurance and various other benefits that seem to be omnipresent on most of its cars. The brand loyalty that Hyundai commands in the lower end of the market is hugely evident in Delhi (especially east Delhi). The car may not have any particular novelty but should still do decent numbers for the brand.
ToyotaFan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2018, 07:31   #445
Senior - BHPian

With the ₹ in the dumps; all Indians want is a 5* NCAP rating feature rich car with a powerful and fuel efficient engine for lesser money than what we paid for the Santro 2 decades ago. Then you need to bring back, Chandragupta Maurya and start a golden age! On one hand we flog Maruti for providing poor build and on the other we say Santro is expensive: truth is how many would buy a Tiago/Tigor JTP?? We need to be realistic.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 25th October 2018 at 07:32.
Durango Dude is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th October 2018, 10:38   #446
Senior - BHPian

I test drove the Santro Magna AMT on behalf of my father in law. He owns a previous gen Santro and he's looking for a new car. The only options considered were the new Santro and Wagon R VXi AMT which I also own.

Interiors

The new Santro interiors are far superior compared to the Wagon R. Bits and pieces of my Wagon R are already coming apart in just 3 years/10K kms and every plastic part rattles even on brand new cars. The Santro is rattle free even on bad roads and I believe the interiors will age much better. Santro rear seats don't have 60:40 split which the Wagon R does. This is a hugely under appreciated feature. Santro's rear seats can be folded flat. AC is decent in both and the Santro has some puny blowers in the back.

Engine and Gearbox

The Wagon R's body has a perceptible shudder at idle due to the 3 cyl engine which the Santro does not have. Both are extremely smooth to drive. The Wagon R tends to upshift very early during sedate driving and thus always feels a little under the power band. The Santro AMT holds the current gear a little longer leading to better drivability. I'd expect the Santro's mileage to be a little lower because of this but it's not a bad compromise.

Drivability

The Wagon R drive is bumpy with a lot of body roll. Santro fares much better. The Wagon R is definitely more spacious and the driving position and visibility are also better in the Wagon R. Santro isn't too bad either but the Wagon R wins the "airiness" category. Santro absorbs bumps much better and doesn't feel like it will topple if corners are taken a little quickly. Noise insulation is better on the Santro.

Safety

Santro comes with one airbag and ABS. Wagon R comes with front fog lamps and speed sensing door locks. Wagon R's doors tend to flex if you lean on them. Santro's does not. Fans of "sheet metal thickness" will be happy. Wagon R has a rear wiper and internally adjustable electric ORVMs. Santro does not.

Audio

Santro comes with a Bluetooth audio system, steering mounted controls and two speakers in the front. Wagon R comes with a regular USB/ CD audio system with four speakers. Audio quality is mediocre in both.

Verdict

Santro Magna AMT is 14K more on road than Wagon R VXi AMT. Buying the Santro is a no brainer for us. It has more safety and convenience features. It drives better. Hyundai is offering more in exchange for the old Santro compared to Maruti. The mileage may be slightly lower but that's not a priority for us due to low running.
Gilead is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 25th October 2018, 18:50   #447
Distinguished - BHPian

Hyundai shows how Santro compares to Tata Tiago, says comparable variants offer ₹17-41,000 better value.

The next-gen Hyundai Santro-1.jpg

The next-gen Hyundai Santro-3.jpg

And compares it with Maruti Suzuki Celerio,

The next-gen Hyundai Santro-2.jpg

The next-gen Hyundai Santro-4.jpg

Quote:
Hyundai says the Santro Magna offers about ₹27,000 more value over the Celerio comparable variant. On the Sportz it’s ₹45,000 more. And on the Asta it’s ₹23,000
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 25th October 2018 at 18:57.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2018, 12:35   #448
Senior - BHPian

2018 Hyundai Santro Test Drive Review - Autoportal

Old 26th October 2018, 13:17   #449
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai still has a better brand pull than Tata. So, even if the Tiago might be the better of the two, I can see Santro doing better numbers.

At the risk of going off topic, when I see the Santro's face, I see a kid with dental braces, smiling at me!
ashutoshb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2018, 13:46   #450
BHPian

Does Hyundai have separate teams to design each of its models?
Look at the i20...looks fab. The Tuscon another great example of a good and well designed car/SUV.

And now the Santro!!! What were these guys thinking? They could have done a much better job. Anyway looks are subjective.
bigben is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks