Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2017, 17:36   #1
Senior - BHPian

Current-gen Swift production ends

Mod Note: Our Swift Report has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

Thanks to Inderdeep for sending these images in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Current-gen Swift production ends-swift.jpg

Production of the current-generation Swift has come to an end as Maruti Suzuki prepares to launch the third-generation Swift in India.

The image shows the last of the current-generation Swifts as it rolled onto the production line on December 23, 2017. It seems that the car has just passed the sheet metal welding and assembly phase and appears to be at an inspection booth. The note on the bonnet reads, "Last Swift:-E07460 Glorious Journey Ends here… For new beginning… Great Car by Great Team Date:-23-Dec-2017 Bye Bye:-Swift".

At launch in 2005, the car came with a 1.3-litre petrol engine. In 2007, Maruti introduced the 1.3-litre Fiat-sourced diesel which produces 74 BHP @ 4,000 rpm and peak torque of 190 Nm @ 2,000 rpm. In 2010, due to the BS-IV emission norms, the 1.3L petrol was replaced with a 1.2-litre unit making 83 BHP @ 6,000 rpm and a peak torque of 115 Nm @ 4,000 rpm. The second-generation Swift was launched in India in August 2011. It was followed up with a facelift version in October 2014. Both the diesel and petrol versions came equipped with a 5-speed manual transmission.

The Swift made its debut in the Indian market back in 2005. By 2015, Maruti had sold 13 lakh units of the Swift in India. The third-generation Swift is expected to debut sometime next year. It is likely to be showcased at the 2018 Auto Expo.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by GTO : 19th April 2018 at 12:21. Reason: Link to review :)
TusharK is online now   (50) Thanks
Old 28th December 2017, 20:41   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Current-gen Swift production ends

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Production of the current-generation Swift has come to an end...
Swift, specifically in its diesel iteration, brought joy to lakhs of Indians. Though Zen and Getz had earlier introduced the concept of enthusiast cars to the Indian market, Swift was the one that took the market by storm. It was a driver's car that got a huge thumbs up from families too and that proved to be its trump card. Even twelve years after its introduction it has retained its charm. The Baleno sure did take away a bit of its lustre. Maruti has done the right thing by pausing its production and introducing a refreshed, modern looking and hopefully better car in its place.

Bye bye Swift!
dailydriver is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th December 2017, 22:37   #3
BHPian

Proud to own the current outgoing generation, and I'm glad we as a family chose to buy it over the I20,Etios and Figo.
The Swift still serves us and is a powerhouse in every sense be it the 8 lane Expressways or the single lane National Highways with ghats. It's a true all rounder in every sense.
Swift has been responsible to give every common man out there a taste of what raw unadulterated performance feels like.
Hopefully the next one will be as exciting as it's predecessors.
-WeTheSwift
Skyline_GT is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th December 2017, 23:07   #4
BHPian

Owned the Second Gen Swift. Petrol Engine was peppy and frugal. Braking was not as expected, but now with ABS, problem solved. Also, owned 1st gen Diesel, with the power surge after 2000 rpm, which felt scary in few situations.
jaaz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th December 2017, 23:22   #5
BHPian

Had one of the first ones in Mumbai in the 1.3 petrol avatar. Still miss that car everyday. Was a wonderful companion and seriously fun car! I drove the 1.2 engine but it just doesn't cut it.
avdhesh15 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th December 2017, 00:36   #6
Senior - BHPian

Am proud owner of second generation Swift petrol (brought it home on 31-July-2015). The real fun started after 10,000 kms. Be it cruising on expressway or going to my native place on single lane highway, it does everything and is a joy to drive. Well calibrated and direct steering, straight line stability, eagerness to turn directions, all in one entertaining package. Odo reads 231XX kms. as on date, traversed highways of Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra and Gujarat with aplomb. The way Swift can mask speeds has an European air to it adding to its overall appeal. Have 2012 Innova at home, but I prefer my nippy Swift most of the times even for highway runs.

In my books, Swift is a legend in itself. Competitive package with rewarding chassis for its price point. Hopefully, the new Swift will be equally good and not dialed down on driving characteristics keeping in mind the demands of wider audience. Let Dzire do that and Swift attend to driving pleasure.

On another note, Maruti seriously needs newer, better diesel engine and Automatic transmission with either petrol or diesel or both. I will wait for a drive in 3rd generation Swift ( when it hits Indian roads ) to decide if I am happy to get a new diesel one or have a smile on my face driving the current one.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 29th December 2017 at 00:40.
aaggoswami is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th December 2017, 11:22   #7
BHPian

I really wish that the new gen swift will stay true to the values set by its predecessors - a fun to drive, affordable hatch with no mechanical and electronic gremlins. Somehow I don't see the AMT box gelling with this package, but I guess the Swift is also attractive to a lot of people who don't necessarily put driving pleasure at the top of their priority list. In that context any 'automatic' version will definitely increase the total numbers this car is going to sell.
Old 29th December 2017, 11:47   #8
BHPian

I spent nearly a decade with the 1st gen swift... and absolutely loved it. One of the most sensible cars ever in India. Hope they keep the car true to the spirit of the original. But after shifting to the Baleno, I can foresee a technologically loaded but very light car thanks to the HEARTECT chassis. Great mileage, peppy performance but missing that old Swift's handling/steering. Time will tell.
Old 29th December 2017, 12:07   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Ah, the car that ignited the diesel fan in me. The first gen swift was my first car that I bought and what a car it was. The perfect front seats, all black interiors, one awesome engine - all too perfect for everyone. It started the diesel craze in the country too. Thanks for bringing in one awesome car and hope we get the Swift sport in the new avatar here.

Current-gen Swift production ends-a1.jpg

Btw, my sister drives one and still going strong. Not even planning to replace it.

Current-gen Swift production ends-dsc01942.jpg
naveen.raju is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 29th December 2017, 13:05   #10
Senior - BHPian

Still driving and enjoying my 2012 Swift. What a legend and never fails to bring a smile to my face on those early morning and late night drives, with its playful nature and connected steering and rifle-bolt snappy gearbox.

Just adore the car, smiles per mile has to be among the highest in the budget car space its making way for a newer and improved version, which is bound to be another rip-roaring success.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2017, 13:15   #11
Senior - BHPian

Oh my, I still drive the 2008 Swift Diesel, 1 lakh 50 thousand kilometers down and the car still does 2000 km plus road trips every 2nd month like it was brand new.

This is the car that ignited the diesel bug in me, the handling is so awesome that whenever I drive these newly launched cars, I love the power that they offer ( for example the new 2017 Verna CRDI ) but even now when it comes to taking a corner, every other car has ambition overtakes adhesion, in the Swift, there has never been a time when a corner has let adhesion or the thrill fall short of ambition.

I hope the newer one remains the same and gives many more years of smiles to us Indians and people world over.

Right now, I am living the VDI loca!

Current-gen Swift production ends-swiftd.jpg

Last edited by humyum : 29th December 2017 at 13:18.
humyum is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 29th December 2017, 13:17   #12
BHPian

Thank God the production has ended. The current gen Swift performed very poorly in the crash tests! Hope at least the new gen performs better when it comes to safety.
searacer932 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th December 2017, 13:40   #13
Senior - BHPian

Had the pleasure of owning a 2006 Zxi ! Great car, bang for the buck so to speak. Enjoyed every drive, more so after TC-ing it with the Red Rooster turbo kit. Eventually it transformed into a 200 bhp monster WTH forged internals & a big daddy turbo !

Now back to stock, running grocery store duties ! Swift rocks in all roles !
Ricky_63 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2017, 13:55   #14
BHPian

They really should have mentioned how many they have manufactured in total.
The number I'm sure would be mind boggling!

Definitely a legendary sub brand in India. And I guess the new generation is going to break more records next year!
Old 29th December 2017, 14:08   #15
Senior - BHPian

When I saw one 12 years ago, I was smitten by the car! It looked just perfect, someone had brought it straight from the showroom to the temple for blessing. It looked awesome in that black colour and sporty stance. Sadly, I never got a chance to own it, but what I understand is that, it's a fun to drive car. All the best to Suzuki to bring in the new gen Swift next year. That should also have a successful run over the next 10-15 years.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks