Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you insist on genuine spare parts always?
Yes, even if it means it costs more. 140 83.33%
No, anything will do so long as it works and costs less 25 14.88%
Dont have the liberty of original spares. 3 1.79%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2006, 21:56   #16
Senior - BHPian

No I always buy fake. As fake as possible, with badly spelt labels and shoddy packaging. The shoddier the better! I'd like an NGK in a greased-up MICO carton. A K&N in a Woodlands Restaurant plastic kit.

But I'd like a TVS in its original pack - I need to know that I'm buying crap.

Whaddayathink? This is a car forum!
Old 7th December 2006, 16:47   #17
Senior - BHPian

It really depends on what you are replacing & where you are doing it. if you give your car to the A.S.S, then it is bound to be original replacements. If its only a small nut that goes into a door pad, i wont mind buying a Non OE part as long as it holds up & costs considerably less. There is a black plastic strip/beading that runs between the roof & the pillar at the back of my esteem which costs about 900 bucks. i think that is ridiculous. the cost of making it would not have been any more than 20 bucks. the Non-OE costs 150 & that suits me fine, not that i had to replace it. just giving an example.
Old 7th December 2006, 17:31   #18
BHPian

Quality is a must ...and so are genuine spares...
Old 7th December 2006, 17:49   #19
BHPian

I always insisted on genuine spare parts. But went off road with my car's brake pads last time for my Accent GLE. The brake pad costed Rs. 1667 in dealership and Rs. 490 outside. I managed to get installed this particular brake pad at the dealership itself.

Its more than 10,000 kms after installing this and no problems so far. Had a check on the brake disks recently for any problems but nothing so far.
Old 8th December 2006, 09:55   #20
BHPian

Well before buying anything i enquire about a product in different vendors and make, if more vendors praise and says a particular product is good, then i will go for that product seeing price with which vendor works out, in that way i will get a better product...
Old 8th December 2006, 10:35   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
You should have made this a public poll. It'd be interesting to see who chose non-authentic spares - for any reason. I feel sorry for their cars.
Heh-heh, you don't need to make this a public poll - just search around & you'll see plenty of suggestions made in the past about getting non-OEM spares whenever someone's cribbed about prohibitive prices
Old 8th December 2006, 12:36   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad View Post
A genuine spare parts drive is going on at toyota india right now,which brought to me this question .

Team-bhpians what do they do,In my case even if it was a small nut I always insisted it should always be the authorised one even if it meant it would cost twice as much[Ironically dont have this liberty anymore].

But guys what do you do,Do you give preference to cost or do you also insist on the original spares always.
I look at the brand before I buy.

eg.I buy only Lumax lights as they retain theiroriginal shade/tint. Brands like Autogold can be only quickfixes..do not last.

If a bolt is needed,there is no need to scout for a Genuine part.An equivalent bolt made by a good manufacturer eg.GKW should suffice.

Bearings,mechanical parts can be from a reputed manufacturer as long as they meet the original specifications.

Manytimes,dealers rule the roost on the grnuine spares front.One must know where to get good stuff ata reasonable price.
Old 9th December 2006, 00:35   #23
BHPian

I own a cielo - need I say more?
Old 10th December 2006, 03:42   #24
BHPian

Genuine spares are a must in case they are directly related to the functioning of the vehicle (electrical/mechanical systems/components). As far as cosmetic spares (mostly plastics parts) are concerned, one can go for any company's brand or non-brand should I say. I believe car companies, especially the foreign ones, generally rip you off royally in the name of genuine spares. Be it a tiny plastic bit which costs a fraction of actually what they charge. You need to decide whether a particular spare part has any direct impact on the functioning of the vehicle. You don't want your timing belt to snap at an untimely moment, so it should be definitely genuine. Other cosmetic parts need not be made by the same vehicle manufacturing company, it can be from any other thriving duplicate spares market. The duplicate spares market is there because there is a demand for it. Why is there a demand for duplicate spares? Because automobile manufacturers charge a hefty premium for the so called genuine spare parts, which might actually be manufactured under contract by a completely different entity.
Old 22nd December 2006, 06:38   #25
BHPian

I always go in for original spare parts. Price is a very little concern though.
In other words i am a hardcore ORIGINAL SPARE PART user.
Old 22nd December 2006, 12:10   #26
BHPian

I always got all the work done by dealer. I have been assuming dealers always us original spares.

May be its time I ask them specific questions to find out the if there is a possibility otherwise.
Old 10th December 2009, 22:40   #27
Senior - BHPian

A oldie (the thread that is) but i would like to make my contribution to it.
Most definitiley would prefer a original and genuine part from a proper OE manafacturer but i guess i have unknowingly bought fake parts in the past simply because it's wasn't easy to make out what was original and what's not.
For instance rats once gnawed on my 800's engine plug wires and i got a new set of wires only it turned out to be fake as pointed out to me by mechanic.
Old 11th December 2009, 01:10   #28
BHPian

My seven year old Santro always got geninue spare parts.

Although good quality spare parts of Santro are availbe in every auto shops, I always sticked to Hyundai autorised service centres and geninue spare parts.

Infact I was laughed at by friends , when I almost drove 12 kms for servicing the vehicle at Hyundia dealer, for a small repair.

Even if it is costly, I feel safe to get the geninue spare parts and get the vehicle serviced at authorised service centre.
Old 11th December 2009, 01:43   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Obviously i buy the genuine spares for my cars, And i take them to Authorised service station because even if i pay more nobody knows my car better than those guys unless we have a super speciality Service station which unfortunately Gurgaon doesn't have.
Old 11th December 2009, 02:01   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
It really depends on what you are replacing & where you are doing it. if you give your car to the A.S.S, then it is bound to be original replacements. If its only a small nut that goes into a door pad, i wont mind buying a Non OE part as long as it holds up & costs considerably less. There is a black plastic strip/beading that runs between the roof & the pillar at the back of my esteem which costs about 900 bucks. i think that is ridiculous. the cost of making it would not have been any more than 20 bucks. the Non-OE costs 150 & that suits me fine, not that i had to replace it. just giving an example.
I know this is a three year old post, but currently relevant for me. This strip/beading came off from my car few months ago and I just got it fixed. My MASS quoted something like Rs. 650 for this thing... which really shocked me! I was not able to get an aftermarket replacement in the shops I tried. I finally told them to fix the Rs. 650 thingy... but they ended up fixing some other stip there and did not charge me anything for it. It looks a bit different from the original one on the other side, but well, its free and nobody will be able to tell the difference unless he compares them!

Why I am asking this is in case it is needed again, is this strip available in the aftermarket? What is it called?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks