Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you insist on genuine spare parts always?
Yes, even if it means it costs more. 140 83.33%
No, anything will do so long as it works and costs less 25 14.88%
Dont have the liberty of original spares. 3 1.79%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2009, 16:34   #46
Senior - BHPian

Its a 50/50 for me. Some parts i get from outside, some i get from the dealership.

Shan2nu
Old 15th December 2009, 16:59   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
I would go with xenxer on this.

I forgot to check my battery terminals for sometime and the +ve terminal connector gave way last Thursday. Every Maruti dealer/service center I spoke to, demanded that I change the entire wiring harness as MUL doesnt support only the connector as spare.

Multiple complaints and frantic calls didnt help, I cudnt just trust a roadside mechanic considering the wiring harness that goes with the connector. After four days, I found the connector costing Rs 40 at an exide service shop and it took about 30 mins for a maruti mechanic to fix it up. He asked me not to disclose his credentials, since Maruti doesnt advice changing just the connector alone! (how stupid!!!)

Edit: I did vote the first option, though.
How did the connector give away? Corrosion? Which battery?

Last edited by Raccoon : 15th December 2009 at 17:00.
Old 15th December 2009, 19:34   #48
BHPian

@Raccoon,

SwifDy runs on Exide and I had issues with connector being loose earlier. It was promply tightened by introducing a small wire bunch between the terminal and connector.

It was the corrosion that cut the connector, my mistake too for not checking the connector in the last 2-3 months. This time though, I have installed a bulkier (if thats the right word) connector than the default one. This should survive atleast another 6 months, provided I clean it up often.

Have intimated the service guys to check for over-charging issues, when I leave the car for the next service.
Old 15th December 2009, 19:42   #49
BHPian

I always insist on Genuine spares no matter its minor or major. I beleive many IIT'ians and other brains in the world are involved in designing the spares and designs, which when copied as duplicates the view might be same but the performance and reliability is nowhere to originals, its always better to take originals though its costly, better spend on originals than repent later.
Old 15th December 2009, 19:45   #50
BHPian

Anyone who loves his car / bike will never go for spurious parts. Would anyone think of giving life expired medicines to his children? i dont think so!
Old 15th December 2009, 20:08   #51
JLS
BHPian

Yes, genuine parts for me. Even if I have to spend considerably more.
It gives me better peace of mind, warranty remains intact, parts also come with reasonable warranty

Regards,
JLS
Old 15th December 2009, 20:28   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
@Raccoon,

SwifDy runs on Exide and I had issues with connector being loose earlier. It was promply tightened by introducing a small wire bunch between the terminal and connector.

It was the corrosion that cut the connector, my mistake too for not checking the connector in the last 2-3 months. This time though, I have installed a bulkier (if thats the right word) connector than the default one. This should survive atleast another 6 months, provided I clean it up often.

Have intimated the service guys to check for over-charging issues, when I leave the car for the next service.
Seems Exides and Amcos are the ones prone to corrosion. My car battery terminals have been totally corrosion free. If you are stuck with one (Exide), always keep the terminals coated with petroleum jelly. However, I don't know how effective this is in cars, as the heat under the bonnet seems to melt it off pretty soon. Seems 3M has a spray for this (seems almost permanent) which the MASS used just last week on my car, without asking me. But it seems to leave a plastic coating behind which does not look nice and may be an issue when you need to take the clamp off or connect a multimeter.
Old 8th December 2011, 13:32   #53
Senior - BHPian

Re: Do you insist on genuine spare parts always?

A very relevant thread for all those who own their beloved set of wheels. Yes sir voted for and genuine spare parts it is all the time. The good part of owning a Maruti Suzuki product is the spares come cheap as well. So why not buy the real thing. But the spurious spares industry is huge in our country and the fakes or look alikes very closely resemble the originals even to the minutest detail. Then if you are conned into buying them it is a different story. Thats why always they say buy it either from a Maruti authorized spare part dealer or at MASS for absolute peace of mind!
Old 8th December 2011, 13:49   #54
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Even when I get work done from a local mechanic, if a part is needed, I ensure that he gets it from a Maruti Genuine Parts outlet.

Once I needed a brake cylinder for my Alto. The OEM supplier is appararently TVS and there was a significant difference between the price quoted for the same part from open market v/s MGP outlet. Even then opted for MGP as Maruti has stricter controls and tolerances for the parts that they accept.
Old 8th December 2011, 16:54   #55
BHPian

The wiper blades, spark plug, headlamps, engine and gear oil are better bought outside for Maruthi vehicles.

My take - Bosch for wiper blades,

Spark plug branded MGP rusts !!!!
Old 8th December 2011, 17:28   #56
J.Ravi

Voted for 'Yes, even if it means it costs more'. My Linea lost her mudflaps and her rear right brake lamp got burnt out at Leh. While genuine Linea accessory mudflaps were fitted to my Linea at the authorised service centre at Srinagar, the brake lamp bulb was not available. Finally, my Linea got it done at Bangalore. I am for genuine spares even if it means waiting for few weeks. Genuine spares mean less headache.

Old 8th December 2011, 17:47   #57
Senior - BHPian

Voted "Yes".
I always service my car at an authorized center and so by logic service center always uses geniune parts. I have NEVER given my santro till date to a local mechanic. I always go to HMP Chennai for all service needs.
Old 5th November 2012, 20:26   #58
Senior - BHPian

Some believe that though it is not worth taking the risk buying anything other than genuine spares, it is ok to fit some of the cosmetic bits from the after market such as indicator or fog light or tail lamp assemblies.

However non critical they are, it really doesn't stand up to the original spare in terms of reliability and long life.
Old 5th November 2012, 20:56   #59
BHPian

If the parts are non critical e.g. wipers, mud flaps then I'd go to a local shop. However for critical ones always buy genuine ones.

This though again depends on how old the car is. If the car is out of warranty it might be better off getting spares outside. A member on our forum got better brake pads for his pre-owned Civic at 1/3rd the price of originals.
Old 5th November 2012, 21:48   #60
BHPian

As far my current ride goes, a SX4 zxi, I have fitted only genuine parts and accessories, but in my previous car , an Accent Viva Crdi, I had ...aftermarket, non genuine fog lamps. To be honest, they were sheer crap and for a little more it would have been much better to get the original fog lamps. Too bad that 21 year old me didnt realize it then . Also during the later stages of the life of my car a noise developed from the axels. I was told an obnoxious amount from Hyundai for a new set, so I got a refurbished ones fitted at 1/5th of the price. They worked like a charm for the next year or so till I decided to sell the car!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks