Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2018, 11:07   #31
BHPian

Re: January 2018 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Nissan+Skoda+VW (16 models) = Sales 5654
Maruti Omni (1 model) = Sales 6155 (34 YEAR OLD CAR)
sunny29584 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 9th February 2018, 11:26   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcoolguy View Post
Historic trend of Car sales during the month of January over the past few years.

Attachment 1726377

Attachment 1726378

You have inadvertently missed out the Tata Tiago in the table for Jan 18!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaganpec2002 View Post
It is quite the opposite. The Indian customers are not blind and that is why the big brand automakers are not able to sell their inferior products. They took the Indian customers for granted and hoped their badge would blind the customers and sells their products. But history says otherwise. If it is not for Maruti, the brands that you are calling superior would be selling their same products for more money.
It is true that the older people would prefer Suzuki cars as they have built a good reputation for reliability and service. Gradually this will change as they do seem to be sitting on their laurels while other manufacturers are conceptually moving ahead and taking more risks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.2TSI7DSG View Post
Scorpio is an aspirational vehicle for many in the Bharat desh. Talking about the product which actually surprises me is the Bolero 8.6 k for an 18-year-old product with no brakes or any safety. Scorpio definately derserves 5k.
Bolero sells in the rural area where it's ruggedness, carrying capacity and diesel engine makes it a good people and goods carrier. It may not be a great vehicle for city driving but good value for money.

No surprise there.

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 12th February 2018 at 11:38.
ashokabs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2018, 12:24   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashokabs View Post
You have inadvertently missed out the Tata Tiago in the table for Jan 18!
Oops, my bad. Missed out while compiling the list. Thanks for the correction.

Below is the modified one with the Tiago included in the Jan '18 Top 25 chart and City has been moved out.

January 2018 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-jan_historic_1.png
jpcoolguy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th February 2018, 12:39   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashokabs View Post
It is true that the older people would prefer Suzuki cars as they have built a good reputation for reliability and service. Gradually this will change as they do seem to be sitting on their laurels while other manufacturers are conceptually moving ahead and taking more risks.
1) Preferring Maruti for reliability/service and preferring Maruti blindly are two different things.
2) Sitting on their laurels? Who has been the most active manufacturer in the last 3-4 years? Their future plans speculated to include Vitara S, Grand Vitara, Innova Competitor, electric vehicle etc., What else you expect from them? One thing you can't complain about Maruti is that they take their top position for granted and being complacent.
3) If it is not for Maruti, do you think Hyundai would have made two airbags, ABS as standard in the facelift i20?

Maruti is on the top and would continue to be at the top because of their efforts. And if the other so-called superior manufacturers put in their efforts they will be rewarded by our market. TATA is the prime example of that.
jaganpec2002 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th February 2018, 21:26   #35
BHPian

Revenue Calculation for Jan 2018 has been completed and posted here.

Top 25 Cars based on Revenue (calculated based on 75th Percentile of the Avg. Ex-Showroom Price):

January 2018 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-top-25-cars-revenue-jan-18.png

OEM's Volume Market Share Vs Revenue Market Share:

January 2018 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-oem-market-share-jan-18.png
jpcoolguy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th February 2018, 22:46   #36
BHPian

It never ceases to amaze me that Wagon R still sells 12-13k per month! That too without any major upgrades since last few years. There are so many newer and better cars in that segment, even from Maruti's own stable. One of my colleagues recently bought the Wagon R AGS and his reasoning was that its been selling since last 20 years means it should be good.
Old 9th February 2018, 23:42   #37
BHPian

A very large number of WagonR sells due to CNG conversion, narrow body hence easy to maneuver in narrow city lanes. Plus the luggage space when needed.

On the aspect of Maruti Suzuki vs Global companies, I own a 10year old Swift VDI and 2 year old Brio.
My service experience with Maruti has been consistently better than Honda. Both in terms of responses and resolution of issues.

Last edited by CarJunki : 9th February 2018 at 23:45.
Old 10th February 2018, 17:33   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport View Post
I may sound sadistic, but am grinning with glee seeing the abysmal numbers of the Captur. After the farce they tried to pull off passing off the Kaptur as the Captur, Renault deserves the flop. Another look at the Duster's numbers doubles that glee. Karma.
Watched Renault India's CEO & MD Sumit Sawhney's interview with CarAndBike on YouTube. As per Mr. Sawhney, they are still in the process of launching the Captur in India and he is still harping on about how the Captur is a "design marvel" and a "stylish SUV"
Old 10th February 2018, 19:30   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodoOfTheShire View Post
Watched Renault India's CEO & MD Sumit Sawhney's interview with CarAndBike on YouTube. As per Mr. Sawhney, they are still in the process of launching the Captur in India and he is still harping on about how the Captur is a "design marvel" and a "stylish SUV"
There is a saying in Telugu which roughly translates to; a crow's chick, no matter how ugly (or a failure in this case), is still loved by the crow.
strawhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2018, 22:42   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawhat View Post
There is a saying in Telugu which roughly translates to; a crow's chick, no matter how ugly (or a failure in this case), is still loved by the crow.
Haha funny that the same saying is in Tamil too. " Kaakai kum than kunju pon kunju"
Old 11th February 2018, 22:56   #41
Senior - BHPian

Just realized that the Tiago beat the Celerio for the first time! A Tata sold more than its Maruti counterpart! Wonders never cease.
discoverwild is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 12th February 2018, 01:10   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tushky View Post
Maybe because most of the indian customers are blind and they dont see or they don't want to see anything beyond Maruti.
I think it's the other way around. Had been to showrooms of VW, Honda while upgrading from a humble Santro in 2013, wasn't a pleasant experience. They would treat customers of each category differently. Arrive on a two wheeler, they wouldn't bother to offer a glass of water, arrive in a car, it will be a five star treatment. Went to a Maruti showroom, they offered me several test drives that too at my own convince, their best selling car at that time, the swift and also Ritz and I took the latter instead. In the year 2017(was still reluctant to go to a VW showroom), while upgrading from alto k10, the experience was no better right from being received by the guard at the gate (asked me to park some meters away despite having available space) to the experience in terms SA(test drives promised but never offered). Went to the Maruti, they offered me several test drives of Baleno, new Dzire and also of all the variants that they had despite they being so best selling! That made me think about their after sales service and there are already many horror stories!
I think the quality of experience differentiating factor between Maruti and other manufacturers where in the former is easily "approachable".
koolguy_ani is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th February 2018, 09:11   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
Just realized that the Tiago beat the Celerio for the first time! A Tata sold more than its Maruti counterpart! Wonders never cease.
They are factory-dispatch numbers, not end-user sales. But would still correlate fairly well I'd think (esp if trend is seen for 2 or more consecutive months), and so is very commendable indeed!
Old 12th February 2018, 11:33   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Playing with some numbers here. Interesting part of sales numbers is world's top companies like Honda, Toyota, Ford, Renault, Nissan, VW & Skoda, Fiat & Jeep all together can't even sell 20% of the total cars here in India !! (GM has exited now, when they were here, picture was no different anyways ) Now these companies are here for long enough time, specially global giants like Honda, Ford, Toyota are here for more than 20 years. Others also spent sufficient time. Still they are not able to break though is really surprising.

Reasons could be -
1 They are not serious about Indian market.
2 Indian business is not that profitable (Just a guess).
3 They are mainly here to manufacture and export to other markets.
4 Insufficient study of Indian market or can we say they failed to understand market here?
This article by the Economist explains India's middle class. I guess the low sales are explained by it too. Our middle class is just too small.
Old 12th February 2018, 11:52   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tushky View Post
Maybe because most of the indian customers are blind and they dont see or they don't want to see anything beyond Maruti.
I really don't think so mate. Most people buy car as a package and Maruti fits the bill. Their products sold at good price with great A.S.S. & with great reliability. We had 6 Maruti's till now and we never faced any issue with quality of the car or reliability. All cars were great to use and give us back what we paid for. If you go to market, they have many products ranging from 3 Lacs to 12 Lacs which gives you lots of choice and 80% sale is in this price bracket only.

Other so called giants are giving some really bad cars to us here in India. For common man what Toyota is offering? Liva ? Which is damn pathetic car to look at and looks generation old. In small car what Honda offers? Brio? Which is really a sad looking car and really cramped from inside. So why will not people go to Maruti and Hyundai? They are offering great cars at good price with some latest technology and cool designs.

Remember one thing, when you buy Maruti, you get "PEACE OF MIND" free of cost which nobody else gives here in India.
aniketi is offline   (9) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks