Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2018, 17:08   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Renault Kwid Silent Recall - Faulty Accelerator Pedal!

I love recalls as they're better for car owners, but I hate silent recalls as only a small % of owners will ever benefit from it.

This particular issue should NOT be a silent one. Added it to our news section today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Sudden increase in speed / RPM

There were few reported cases of Kwid accelerating on it's own due to faulty A pedal
This is all the more reason for Renault to publicly recall all affected cars.

Last edited by GTO : 14th February 2018 at 17:10.
GTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 14th February 2018, 17:29   #17
BHPian

Re: Renault Kwid : Faulty Accelerator Pedal & Silent Replacements!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Floor mat was the culprit there and here it is the accelerator pedal sensor itself. This should be proactively recalled, silent recall is not the way.

Datsun Redigo owners should also keep an eye out? Both vehicles are same underneath?
I had faced the issue about 4 months back. When in the service centre the SA told me that this issue had occurred to whoever had installed hard grass mats extending into the vicinity of the accelerator sensor and advised me to get rid of it. I did so and saw the problem vanish, but only for 2 days. In the next visit they replaced the sensor foc and the problem has not reappeared. But since then I have kept the accelerator pedal area free of the floor mat.

I have a redigo to mind too (with my father). No such issue yet, touch wood. In that car, the mat is not rubbing the pedal. I find the redigo engine more responsive in the low end but not as rev happy as the kwid engine.

Last edited by tortoiseNhare : 14th February 2018 at 17:34.
tortoiseNhare is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2018, 18:57   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
This particular issue should NOT be a silent one. Added it to our news section today.
Thanks. Hope Renault wakes up. If not, at least Kwid owners should be aware of this

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoiseNhare View Post
I had faced the issue about 4 months back. When in the service centre the SA told me that this issue had occurred to whoever had installed hard grass mats extending into the vicinity of the accelerator sensor and advised me to get rid of it. I did so and saw the problem vanish, but only for 2 days. In the next visit they replaced the sensor foc and the problem has not reappeared. But since then I have kept the accelerator pedal area free of the floor mat.
It is no way related to floor mat because the issue vanished for good after A pedal change. Could you please explain more about the issue you have faced? Was it Malfunction Light or unintended acceleration or both? If it was unintended acceleration, how bad was it?

Thanks.

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 14th February 2018 at 18:58.
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2018, 19:11   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had faced the issue about 4 months back. When in the service centre the SA told me that this issue had occurred to whoever had installed hard grass mats extending into the vicinity of the accelerator sensor and advised me to get rid of it. I did so and saw the problem vanish, but only for 2 days.
There you have it. If the problem was due to the mat it would have been solved with the removal of the same. But it came back, could be due to a quality issue with the sensor inside. There are usually two outputs for the throttle pedal when one increases the other decreases, this is sort of fail safe to prevent situations like this which cause unintended acceleration. I don't think they would skimp on that failsafe.
Sankar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th February 2018, 01:48   #20
Senior - BHPian

Re: Renault Kwid Silent Recall - Faulty Accelerator Pedal!

Quote:
Model : Kwid 0.8 L

Affected cars : Early 2016 batch??

There were few reported cases of Kwid accelerating on it's own due to faulty A pedal .

Thanks for sharing info Dr. Naren.

Some questions:
  • Which ECU Generation is this?
  • Is the car automatic / manual?
  • At what speeds does this sudden acceleration occur, any info about it?

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2018, 02:04   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Which ECU Generation is this?
I think the ECU is Bosch ME17.

Quote:
Is the car automatic / manual?
My car is manual.

Quote:
At what speeds does this sudden acceleration occur, any info about it?
I did not face sudden acceleration issue. There was only Malfunction Light. The error code was related to A pedal sensor on Renault diagnostic scan. The malfunction light was present at all speeds. Only few owners have reported about unintended acceleration, from what I heard it was there only for few seconds. Bhpian tortoiseNhare has faced this. He should be able to provide more details

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 15th February 2018 at 02:08.
Old 15th February 2018, 11:27   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We only know that few batches of Kwid 0.8L are affected. When was your car manufactured (month & year)?
Yes only few batches are affected. Mine is October 2015 manufactured.
myavu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2018, 19:30   #23
BHPian

Quote:
I think the ECU is Bosch ME17.
Bhpian tortoiseNhare has faced this. He should be able to provide more details
My car is March 2016 batch. I didn't face any issue of sudden acceleration when the malfunction light began to show up. But then the mileage of the car, especially in the city, fell drastically. The SA had told me that quite a few owners had faced the issue and that he advised them all not to use hard floor mats extending into the accelerator pedal area. The SA was pretty sure about what was going to be replaced and told me that sufficient number of the part were in stock. It didn't get the service guys much time to fix my car. After the replacement the city mileage improved and a couple of weeks back on a 200 km round trip mostly on a highway I had achieved 24 kmpl.
tortoiseNhare is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2018, 16:57   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

I have driven more than 300 KM after A pedal change. I have started liking the car more now. FE has improved too. A pedal was slightly harder, but it has become better now with usage.

As of now Renault has not contacted any customer for A pedal replacement. They are doing it only if there is malfunction light or any issues related to acceleration (no response / unintended acceleration).
Old 17th February 2018, 17:59   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
There are usually two outputs for the throttle pedal when one increases the other decreases, this is sort of fail safe to prevent situations like this which cause unintended acceleration.
True, but not always. What you are describing is a "cross" type logic system where outputs from two sensors are opposite to each other. Like you said, when one increases the other decreases, correct. There is another type called the "parallel" system. Here the output of Sensor 2 is always half of Sensor 1. Both logics are in use, based on Manufacturer's discretion. But yes, both work on fail-safe principle.

Quote:
My car is March 2016 batch. I didn't face any issue of sudden acceleration when the malfunction light began to show up.
Quote:

My car is manual.

I did not face sudden acceleration issue.
Good to know this.

For those who are reading this, if your car accelerates unintendly (no accelerator pedal input, still car accelerates), the best thing you can do is to free up traction from the powertrain. That is, shift to NEUTRAL (for both Manual and AT Cars).

Unintended acceleration, even if it happens for milliseconds, is outright dangerous. Depending on the kind of fault in the system, acceleration can reach very high values.

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th March 2018, 16:05   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

I read about the same issue in Autocar India. It was their Kwid 1.0L long term review car. There was no sudden acceleration, but CEL was present. It was related to A pedal sensor and replaced under warranty. So this issue is not specific to only 800 CC Kwid.
Old 28th May 2018, 14:14   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

I had got the A pedal replaced in February. I got the engine malfunction light again today. It was coming intermittently when I lift off A pedal. The same was happening even with only ignition on.

I took the car to Renault service and it was related to A pedal again. They did have the part in stock, but they did not replace it immediately like last time. Reason was my car is out of standard warranty . Yes, I do have extended warranty. According to the dealer, EW is from TVS and not Renault India. So it will take some time for the dealer to get the warranty approval. Now I understand why Maruti is number 1, hassle free warranty claims . Renault dealer has requested to keep the car for a day, so that they could complete the warranty approval process.

Malfunction Light
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Kwid Silent Recall - Faulty Accelerator Pedal!-screenshot_20180528140649328_com.miui.videoplayer.png  

Dr.Naren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2018, 09:36   #28
GTO
Team-BHP Support

This is really not a company that I can see eye to eye with. First, giving the Indian Duster smaller airbags. Then, the Captur's misleading ads. And now, I hear the following:

Quote:
Hello Team-BHP,

This is in reference to silent recalls being done by Renault in India.

We have one article published by Dr Naren earlier.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...tor-pedal.html (Renault Kwid Silent Recall - Faulty Accelerator Pedal!)

With reliable insider information, I am aware of large recalls which Renault does - without informing authorities and taking Indian people for granted. Kwid is supplied with faulty accelerator pedal since launch in 2015 and so far Renault has produced around 3 lakh cars. It is said all are faulty and no recalls have been done nor any information to the government about such a critical safety issue. These pedals sometimes accelerate automatically!! The issue is really serious and Renault is sitting silent for more than one year of acknowledging this as an issue internally.

Till date, the company has replaced around 80000 pedals in warranty. The numbers are huge and the day is not far when we see accidents piling on the road due to this.
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 24th February 2019, 15:50   #29

Faced this problem too. The supervisor inspected just as a matter-of-fact. Have referred this thread to him (Renault, Yelahanka, Bangalore). Does it take 2 days to fix it?

There was no answer for "recalling" impacted batch of cars, although I am sure he knows about this issue.

Will keep posted.
Old 26th February 2019, 08:03   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abut_16 View Post
Does it take 2 days to fix it?
The actual job doesn't take more than 10 minutes. I had to wait around 2 hours to get the car , thanks to waiting at service bay and billing. 2 days time for changing A pedal is a Joke.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks