CVT 141 13.62%
AMT 33 3.19%
Voters: 1035. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2020, 15:42   #151
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjunathkl View Post
. So, choose the best tech based on YOUR usage of the car.

I think we are overthinking this way too much. Get the car and the transmission you enjoy!

My wife prefers a manual on her car. She could not even begin to tell the difference between the various auto options. And I can vouch for the fact that we have owned all of them at some point in time.

Some transmissions types are very much part of the character of a certain car, e.g. Daf and its variomatic. Although you might be able to choose between a manual and an auto on a particular model, I do not think there are many manufactures that offer multiple choices on auto boxes.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2020, 17:38   #152
BHPian

Re: Which type of Automatic Transmission do you prefer?

Having driven Honda City CVT, Skoda Rapid DSG and Maruti Ciaz AT, I will vote for CVT as it falls midway between reliable AMT and highly unreliable DCT.

TC Automatic - There is substantial loss of power and torque on conventional TC AT, slow response and way reduced FE. Having said that, this is the most tried and tested gearbox and can be relied upon anytime. Only 4 speeds on Ciaz does no justice to the gearbox, but then it does the job OK.

DCT - It is an enthusiast's gearbox with great FE but then it is just not reliable yet (in most cases). While the Rapid/ Vento DSG horror stories are still in air, the problem with Kia Seltos DCT fuels the suspicion on DCT's reliability. It was definitely fun to drive the Rapid DSG.

CVT - this on the other hand is quite reliable, may be not as much as TC AT, but sufficiently enough. The gearshifts in city drive are effortless and fuel efficiency is not compromised. One can say it is not enthusiasts gearbox, but then I would buy a manual if I am an enthusiast.

AMT - As the name suggests, these are just makeshift ATs pushed by manufacturers due to its low cost which they can push as ATs. However, I have not actually driven one so cannot really comment.
chaturgaurav is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2020, 17:49   #153
BHPian

Dual-clutch (DSG), CVT, Torque Converter, AMT in that order.
Old 5th January 2020, 23:39   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaturgaurav View Post
Having driven Honda City CVT, Skoda Rapid DSG and Maruti Ciaz AT, I will vote for CVT as it falls midway between reliable AMT and highly unreliable DCT.
You have compared a modern CVT with ancient 4-speed TC AT of Ciaz. It is an unfair comparison. Please try any of the modern 6-speed TC AT and compare. You will be blown by its performance in comparison with any CVT.
manjunathkl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2020, 00:07   #155
BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum. We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 6th January 2020 at 10:26.
pseudo_coder is offline   Received Infraction
Old 6th January 2020, 07:41   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjunathkl View Post
You have compared a modern CVT with ancient 4-speed TC AT of Ciaz. It is an unfair comparison. Please try any of the modern 6-speed TC AT and compare. You will be blown by its performance in comparison with any CVT.
You could be right, but my view is based on the gearboxes I have personally driven. Its a shame that Maruti still deploys the ancient TC.

Last edited by GTO : 6th January 2020 at 10:26. Reason: Quoted post deleted
chaturgaurav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2020, 07:53   #157
BHPian

Was just curious to know, which CVT car upto 20-25 lakhs has the least rubber band effect?

Although many, including me, love the smoothness of CVT but that rubber band effect just kills the fun to a large extent. So is there a car at all under 25 lakhs with negligible rubber banding?

If there is one, then I think that will make up for a good fun car (provided its dynamically decent) since reliability and FE concern is already not there (or very less) with a CVT. TC gearbox still has that 'lower FE' tag!
Old 29th July 2020, 09:51   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mynameis View Post
Was just curious to know, which CVT car upto 20-25 lakhs has the least rubber band effect?
My ownership is with the Honda and Nissan CVTs, and test drive experience with Toyota. I felt that the CVT on the Corolla had the least rubber band effect, followed closely by the Honda City. The Nissan Micra had a slightly more rubber band effect, but had the most perceptible difference in Sport mode. In the Honda City, in order to get any perceptible difference, you must use the paddle shifters while in Sport mode.
The Corolla experience is also enhanced by its larger engine I guess.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 29th July 2020 at 09:53.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2020, 12:00   #159
BHPian

I drove the car's having CVT gearbox from 8 Lakhs to 26 Lakhs Range. From my experience Car's with lower engine capacity suffered with greater rubber band effect.

This includes Baleno, Micra, Jazz, Amaze. The rubber band effect was masked better in Amaze Diesel CVT, this could be due to better low end torque of diesel engine.

In C segment Honda City has least rubber band effect, Nissan Sunny was worst.

Corolla was the best, it had best tuning out of all the CVT cars I drove, as @fhdowntheline said this is due to the 1.8L engine it had.

In the currently available cars both Creta iVT and Seltos iVT are the best, with least rubber band effect and best suited for city driving.

Last edited by RaceHorse : 29th July 2020 at 12:07.
Old 29th July 2020, 12:02   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
My ownership is with the Honda and Nissan CVTs, and test drive experience with Toyota. I felt that the CVT on the Corolla had the least rubber band effect, followed closely by the Honda City. The Nissan Micra had a slightly more rubber band effect, but had the most perceptible difference in Sport mode. In the Honda City, in order to get any perceptible difference, you must use the paddle shifters while in Sport mode.
The Corolla experience is also enhanced by its larger engine I guess.
Yes. Altis has 1.8L, City 1.5L and Micra 1.2L. We need to account for higher cc, too. All 3 make excellent CVTs. Nissan wasn't earlier, with their notorious JATCO CVTs but they have since been reworked. I believe they're up there with H/T now.
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2020, 12:41   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceHorse View Post
I drove the car's having CVT gearbox from 8 Lakhs to 26 Lakhs Range. From my experience Car's with lower engine capacity suffered with greater rubber band effect.
A noob question. I drive a manual (with a light foot) and seldom push the engine beyond 3000 RPM in my regular driving style (even on the highways). So if I were to replicate my driving style in a car with a CVT, would I experience the rubber band effect?
Old 29th July 2020, 12:50   #162
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikipedia87 View Post
A noob question. I drive a manual (with a light foot) and seldom push the engine beyond 3000 RPM in my regular driving style (even on the highways). So if I were to replicate my driving style in a car with a CVT, would I experience the rubber band effect?
With a light foot and sane and subtle inputs, you most likely won't feel it much - which is why a CVT is nicely suited to city beater use. On sudden acceleration and aggressive throttle inputs, there will be a lag felt between when you dab the pedal (the engine RPM will rise almost immediately to match it) and the actual acceleration in terms of speed, because the CVT takes some time to adjust the ratios and translate that input into the proper (on-road) speed.
KarthikK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2020, 04:26   #163
BHPian

Quote:
For the situation you mentioned, you will not feel rubber band effect. It's only during overtaking on the highways (especially single lane ones) that you will feel the rubber band effect which is annoying and can actually be dangerous, especially with lower displacement engines (Baleno/I20).

Within city if you drive a CVT car with a 1.5L engine or above, you won't really have any issues even while overtaking.
Mynameis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2020, 06:42   #164
Senior - BHPian

I feel the rubber band effect is over rated in TeamBHP. In my experience with City and Jazz, I have never found them lacking in shift speed or revving unnecessarily. You may find the noise increasing slightly in kickdown mode, but you will get used to it in no time. You will learn to press the accelerator in specific ways to trigger the upshift and downshift in a few days.
padmrajravi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th July 2020, 08:33   #165
BHPian

Quote:
I have been driving Yaris 1.5 CVT for the last 2 years. From my experience, I can say that if you drive with a light foot, you will easily adjust to CVT and not feel the rubber band effect. Once you understand the transmission characteristics you will not find any issue in driving or overtaking within City as well as Highways.
Simhi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks