Dual-clutch (DSG) 449 43.38%
CVT 141 13.62%
AMT 33 3.19%
Voters: 1035. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2023, 13:15   #196
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Which type of Automatic Transmission do you prefer?

BMW is doing away with DCT. Going back to TC before going fully electric.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/bmw-m-...on-manuals-too
m8002? is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2023, 01:16   #197
BHPian

I am in the market for an automatic car. I've read all that I could about the woes of each type of gearbox. I feel that the current scenario might be different, as new engine and gearbox combinations have come while others may have matured over time, and I want to check my hypothesis.

My requirements: A car than I can keep for 12 years, 1,00,000 kms, and take 2,000 km away from home without a 2nd thought about reliability.

In terms of reliability, following is my hypothesis. Please share which is true or false based on your experience? (Note that I am trying to judge reliability of the combination of engine and gearbox, rather than just the gearbox or engine.)

1. Hyundai 1.2 litre engine + AMT: Oldest combo here, perhaps the most reliable as a combination, even if AMT is relatively (and arguably) less reliable than a TC in individual respects?

2. Maruti 1.0 litre turbo engine + 6 speed TC: Reliable TC, but the engine is relatively new and so is this combination, hence overall more of a gamble than (1) above.

3. Maruti 1.5 litre engine + 6 speed TC: More reliable than (2) but relatively bigger gamble than (1) as it is a new combination.

4. Hyundai 1.0 litre turbo + 6 speed iMT: Good reliability due to simplicity, but still bit of a gamble as iMT itself is a new technology.

5. Tata and other brands, haven't considered their products due to ASS experiences, but feel free to comment. Not considering CVT as Honda is not being considered (service presence in remote areas) and did not like Hyundai's CVT programming (manual gear ratios are not consistent like in Honda's). DCT - should I even dare?

By new combination, I mean pairings that haven't existed in a product. For example, I'd rate i10's 1.2 litre engine + 4 speed TC as most reliable over all of the above as it has existed for longer and there is a lot more data to rely on.
Old 14th July 2023, 03:29   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowDough View Post
I am in the market for an automatic car. I've read all that I could about the woes of each type of gearbox. I feel that the current scenario might be different, as new engine and gearbox combinations have come while others may have matured over time, and I want to check my hypothesis.

My requirements: A car than I can keep for 12 years, 1,00,000 kms, and take 2,000 km away from home without a 2nd thought about reliability.

In terms of reliability, following is my hypothesis. Please share which is true or false based on your experience? (Note that I am trying to judge reliability of the combination of engine and gearbox, rather than just the gearbox or engine.)

1. Hyundai 1.2 litre engine + AMT: Oldest combo here, perhaps the most reliable as a combination, even if AMT is relatively (and arguably) less reliable than a TC in individual respects?

2. Maruti 1.0 litre turbo engine + 6 speed TC: Reliable TC, but the engine is relatively new and so is this combination, hence overall more of a gamble than (1) above.

3. Maruti 1.5 litre engine + 6 speed TC: More reliable than (2) but relatively bigger gamble than (1) as it is a new combination.

4. Hyundai 1.0 litre turbo + 6 speed iMT: Good reliability due to simplicity, but still bit of a gamble as iMT itself is a new technology.

5. Tata and other brands, haven't considered their products due to ASS experiences, but feel free to comment. Not considering CVT as Honda is not being considered (service presence in remote areas) and did not like Hyundai's CVT programming (manual gear ratios are not consistent like in Honda's). DCT - should I even dare?

By new combination, I mean pairings that haven't existed in a product. For example, I'd rate i10's 1.2 litre engine + 4 speed TC as most reliable over all of the above as it has existed for longer and there is a lot more data to rely on.
I think you are over thinking it. Do multiple test drives and go with what feels better for you and within your budget.

My vote would be for TC - relatively smoother than AMT, and more reliable than CVT or DCT.
ComboCutter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2023, 15:01   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowDough View Post

I do not see any budget mention here but you have mentioned Maruti 1.5L + TC so I think 15-20L can be considered as well. If possible you can talk to your neighbour VW owners to know about their service experience, Taigun 1.0L AT is a lovely product, it will be safer than Hyundai's and Maruti's and will provide best in class driving experience in this segment.
ByKaizen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2023, 15:15   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByKaizen View Post
I do not see any budget mention here but you have mentioned Maruti 1.5L + TC so I think 15-20L can be considered as well. If possible you can talk to your neighbour VW owners to know about their service experience, Taigun 1.0L AT is a lovely product, it will be safer than Hyundai's and Maruti's and will provide best in class driving experience in this segment.
The budget is 10 to 12 lakhs, but can be extended to 15 lakhs. OTR prices.

I like the Taigun, love the safety, but other than safety, everything else is at odds with my needs. I will make a separate post about them in the relevant thread.
Old 26th November 2023, 01:33   #201
BHPian

I have been using the Altis CVT for the past eight years. My Altis has been sent for a major service owing to wear and tear. I have been using Polo DSG for the past one month both in City and Highways. I am back to my Altis today and did a 500 kms round trip.
My view is that although DSG is marginally quicker of the two, the way the shift is executed in DSG is way more jerky. The CVT is smoother both in full automatic mode as well as in tiptronic mode.
I have also driven the City CVT, Kiger CVT as well as the Vento TSI AT and BMW 5 series AT.
The way the Altis CVT, is paired to the sweet 1.8 NA is commendable with negligible rubber band effect and hence is the best of the lot in my view.
CArspeed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2023, 16:06   #202

Maruti Suzuki Ertiga has 6 speed TC. Planning to purchase one. Any inputs on this one?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks