Torque-converter 412 39.81%
Dual-clutch (DSG) 449 43.38%
CVT 141 13.62%
AMT 33 3.19%
Voters: 1035. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2018, 10:45   #31
BHPian

Re: Which type of Automatic Transmission do you prefer?

I have not driven anything other than DSG (Vento TDI) and I can say I am a happy man with the DSG. Now worried about the reliability issues after reading this thread though!!

However, from what I have seen in this short stint of 3 months, can't complain with DSG, despite the jerk when it downshifts from 2nd to first gear.
rangarx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2018, 11:06   #32
BHPian

Just wondering: would the same level of dislike for AMT continue even after the official Brezza amt review comes out? (Assuming it scores high with team BHP as with other blogs)
kanishka88 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2018, 11:31   #33
BHPian

Have driven brother's Jazz CVT and my own DSG.
DSG outperforms all other ATs in terms of shift speed and mileage. I won't be wrong if I say DSG gives better mileage than MT.
The Honda CVT is no bad either. When I drive Jazz, I have no complaints.
penpavan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2018, 12:15   #34
BHPian

Drove all different kinds of AT in last 3 months and bought 2 TC cars in house.
While none of the ATs are perfect, TQ came the closest for an enthusiast albeit lesser mileage but also lesser purchase cost.
Cooltronics is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2018, 13:39   #35
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
In comparison to DSG in Rapid TDI or Vento TSI how good is Hexa's AT? In terms of quick shifts & lag.
No, it's not. But the Hexa's AT is so good that you won't miss the DSG either. It's fast enough, smooth enough and responsive enough. Plus, let's not forget that torque-converters don't have that 'initial lag' of the DSG either.

Give me a reliable & well-tuned torque-converter over an unreliable DSG any which day.
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 26th June 2018, 14:00   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
I’ve owned cars with CVT (Honda City 2006), Torque Converter (Honda City 2012) and DCT (Ecosport, my current ride). Aside from these I’ve used the AMT in the Nano and the DCT/DSG in the Vento. My vote goes to the DSG (DCT) despite the horror stories.
Correct me if I am wrong but the 2012 Honda City is a CVT. I myself happen to drive a 2013 Honda City CVT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Despite all of the technology on earth, to me there is NO perfect automatic transmission at all.. of all things automotive, it is possibly the most poorly researched, poorly described and poorly thought out ways to eliminate clutch and gear changes on the car. I've heard people saying that CVT is super-fast and is THE ultimate transmission,....
Well put dark.knight.

Having first hand experience with all kinds of ATs (self owned and within the family), I vote for the TC. Long term reliability is the primary factor for this choice.
Though TCs are sometimes confused about shifts, they are quite fast at shifting and they do tend to be horrible in terms of fuel efficiency. CVTs, in general, are boring to drive. DCTs (I have owned a Vento Diesel DSG) are the best in terms of enthusiastic driving and fuel efficiency but reliability in our traffic conditions is a big question mark.
This is exactly what must have prompted Ford to replace the DCT in the old Ecosport with a TC in the new one.

Cheers.
speedmunster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2018, 14:51   #37
Senior - BHPian

Voted CVT for what it offers in terms of reliability, simple built and fuel efficiency. A colleague is using Micra CVT for past 4+ years with 60k at ODO and is absolutely happy with his purchase decision.

I doubt if CVT is any short of a TC in terms of reliability. It is a boon for the city driving and can also do day long highway runs without any fuss (provided the expectations are to complete the journey with comfort and not to put the machine at discomfort).

If we look at Indian market - Micra is the cheapest CVT which is easy to ride and maintain and does not compromise on anything expected from a premium hatchback @ INR 7 to 7.5 Lac on road (top end). Had it been sold by MSIL, it would have been a chart buster !

Last edited by i74js : 26th June 2018 at 14:54.
i74js is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2018, 15:02   #38
BHPian

I voted for DSG.

After having driven a friend's Vento TSI DSG extensively, nothing came remotely close to the other automatics that I drove. Another friend's Jazz was sweet, but very unenthusiastic and unexciting to drive.

I just bought a new EcoSport AT, but the 6-speed TC is nowhere close to the exciting and engaging drive of the DSG, though I found it to be much better than the Jazz CVT. Moreover, there have been no issues with his 2016 DSG so far.
spectre13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2018, 16:15   #39
BANNED

Are we forgetting something here: Jalopnik: This Honda Gearbox Patent Has So Many Clutches And Gears That I Literally Can't Even

I hope triple clutch ATs aren't feeling left out.

My vote is with the CVT. It's fairly reliable, very smooth, and frugal too. Maxima V6 shows that it can handle higher power output as well. And Honda's R&D effort towards the Amaze's development suggests that they might be able to handle high torque too someday.

Paired with a shifter to get to virtual shift points, it can be a great AT that doesn't excel in any department but doesn't miserably fail in any either.

Torque Converter: Gas Guzzlers
Dual-Clutch: Unreliable
AMT: BO-OOOO-ring

But, I wouldn't mind a DCT in a bike. Honda have been doing it for a long time.

My thoughts also explained in detail here: Types Of Automatic Transmissions: What’s The Best?

Last edited by MaheshY1 : 26th June 2018 at 16:21. Reason: Self promotion. Hahaha. Also triple-clutch AT.
MaheshY1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2018, 16:52   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmunster View Post
Correct me if I am wrong but the 2012 Honda City is a CVT. I myself happen to drive a 2013 Honda City CVT.
I think if he bought it before the 2012 festive season, it would be a TC, else a CVT.

I have driven a TC and a CVT. I prefer the TC due to better response. Voted for the TC.
Bh.P is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2018, 17:03   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Each type of transmission has different iterations made by different companies for application in different cars. Some TCs are ordinary while others like the ZFs on BMWs are simply outstanding. Forget the different variants of DSGs, the DQ 200 in my Polo GTI is nothing like the DQ200 in my Polo GT TSI!! The traditional weaknesses of DSGs like hesitation or jerkiness in slow traffic seems to fully addressed in this version. But as I said before, it has a lot to do with the engine as well.

For sporty driving I prefer DSGs for their instantaneous upshifts. Its a lot more fun to use paddles on DSG equipped cars than on cars with other transmissions too. I also believe DSGs are more fuel efficient over long distances. Only issue is reliability, but going by the drop in the number of reported cases of failures, I believe it's getting better.

DSG gets my vote.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 26th June 2018 at 17:05.
Santoshbhat is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 26th June 2018, 17:44   #42
BANNED

I find not too many people voting for CVT. Well a Torque converter is the choice, but I see CVTs taking over the lead. With a limited range TC the issue of rubber banding is more or less licked. In terms of fuel consumption a CVT is supreme.
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2018, 18:03   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
In comparison to DSG in Rapid TDI or Vento TSI how good is Hexa's AT? In terms of quick shifts & lag.
I drive an XTA and can say its as good as a DSG or maybe even better. Its just fantastic, clean, smooth and such a pleasure to drive. Many are saying TC's are gas guzzlers but I am getting 17+ on highways and 12-13 in city. Nothing to complain about a TC from my end.
krishnakarthik1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2018, 18:43   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakarthik1 View Post
I drive an XTA and can say its as good as a DSG or maybe even better. Its just fantastic, clean, smooth and such a pleasure to drive. Many are saying TC's are gas guzzlers but I am getting 17+ on highways and 12-13 in city. Nothing to complain about a TC from my end.

I second that. My Scorpio AT gives me 12 in city traffic. With TC locked in 6th gear on highways, I have seen 18+ as well.

Reference which I posted long back
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post3947262

Last edited by purohitanuj : 26th June 2018 at 18:46.
purohitanuj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2018, 19:55   #45
Senior - BHPian

Though I am driving a torque converter, I voted for DCT.
Surprised that CVT is in the third place, whereas I expected it to be in the second place right after the DCT.

Posting my FE figures from the Verna AT (TC). Not sure if the 'low FE' aspect is that bad with Torque Converters today.

Which type of Automatic Transmission do you prefer?-5f16ef8fb5ed40feaca65d19f0ee2bd3.jpg

For mostly city driving, I am getting an overall FE of 13.5kmpl from the date of purchase (9 months). FE of last 3 months stands at 15.64kmpl. My driving style is little aggressive, I want to pass those slow movers if there is a safe chance at that.

Last edited by clevermax : 26th June 2018 at 20:17.
clevermax is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks