Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2018, 09:22   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: June 2018 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Very happy for Tata - very well deserved 3rd position! I am sure it can consolidate further and get to 25k units with a bit more push on Nexon and Hexa. All cars are looking good and can only get better with time!

Its clear that Yaris is selling lower variants and automatic (J) predominantly. But kudos to them for bringing in 7 airbags. The segment leaders will take notice and the next Honda City should come with 6 bags too! The D segment cars will again get hit with little value addition over C+ though!

Jeep discounts are welcome - the extended honeymoon is over! But they have room to enough discount is what I hear!
Equus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2018, 10:26   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
Jeep discounts are welcome - the extended honeymoon is over! But they have room to enough discount is what I hear!
I am actually worried about declining numbers of Compass. Not sure how will they sustain with single product for another 2 years.

This article in today's economic times talks about FCA bringing in a sub-4 meter and a 7 seater SUVs, to be launched by 2020-21. It seems Renegade which was expected sometimes this year is not coming.
Old 8th July 2018, 10:49   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.MJet View Post
-- It seems Renegade which was expected sometimes this year is not coming.
See #264 in this thread. Local media still creates the hype on Renegade

Link (Jeep Renegade spied testing in India)

Last edited by volkman10 : 8th July 2018 at 10:51.
Old 8th July 2018, 12:37   #19
BHPian

Quote:
I am actually worried about declining numbers of Compass. Not sure how will they sustain with single product for another 2 years.
Jeep is said to be launching Renegade in 2019. That should keep them running till they launch their two new SUVs (a sub 4 metre and a three-row SUV) that's planned for 2020.

Are there any confirmed reports about Renegade not launching in 2019?

Last edited by Flyer : 8th July 2018 at 12:41.
Old 8th July 2018, 13:35   #20
BHPian

American muscle car Ford Mustang leading premium segment with two digit sales.

Now I hope Ford brings 2018 Mustang with 2.3L 4 cyl. Eco-boost engine mated with 10 speed automatic transmission, which has been jointly developed with GM.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 9th July 2018 at 13:12. Reason: Typo.
Viraj_Guru is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2018, 16:25   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This is only natural. 1500 Compass is still a huge number, and is sure to reduce again over the long term. The well established and trusted Fortuner manages 2k cars a month only in comparison.

Compass is a high margin product, specially in its higher variants. So the numbers should be fine - but Jeep have only themselves to blame if they don't act quickly and introduce new products before this initial euphoria dies down.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2018, 17:52   #22
BHPian

I wonder why the Abarth numbers under Fiat continue to be reported as zero. There definitely was a production run of Abarth Puntos in April and several were shipped and sold in May-June.
Old 9th July 2018, 11:42   #23
Senior - BHPian

Reg Tata Motors jumping up to Number 3 spot - I think its less due to any jump in their sales and more due to M&M dropping. Anyway, I don't think car companies keep tracking such month on month ranking moves and plan their strategies - Its mostly us auto enthusiasts who get excited/disappointed with these monthly rankings. Car makers are more focussed on volume and profitability growth.

On that front, I hope TML focusses firmly on its upcoming modular platform of vehicles as well as not lose sight on quality in the current crop + launching regular refreshes. Will be good if TML can give a larger engine for the Tigor.

Reg the Nexon - its a great vehicle and priced well. I had the chance to have a Nexon petrol XT variant for a week in Chennai. With all the pluses already said - I wish they can make their engines a bit more fuel efficient. Also I found these omissions in the XT a bit concerning - no rear wiper or even defogger, plain black internal door handles, no external key hole or access button for boot, no rear parking sensors ( ? ), my friend had installed a TML original reverse camera + on-dash screen - the screen display never worked except once briefly for a few seconds ( that was when I realised it was for reversing ).

There is more that can be done with the Hexa too - hope fleet sales will help take numbers past 1000 ( it deserves 1500 p.m. atleast ).

Reg Honda - The City will face a lot of pressure from the Amaze now ( less from the Yaris I feel ). The Amaze will make some budget conscious City buyers to trim their aspirations ! anyway Honda should be fine because Amaze higher end variants should potentially bring in same margins as City base models ( ? ). Alternately Honda should bring out some promo for the City so that they can grow both volumes.

Last edited by narayan : 9th July 2018 at 11:43.
narayan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th July 2018, 12:37   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Reg Honda - The City will face a lot of pressure from the Amaze now ( less from the Yaris I feel ). The Amaze will make some budget conscious City buyers to trim their aspirations !
A colleague picked Amaze over City simply because of the Diesel CVT over petrol CVT. Pure convenience plus diesel mileage - that engine and transmission combo is really the ACE in the sleeve for Amaze.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th July 2018, 12:40   #25
Senior - BHPian

Some interesting observations:
1. Ford sell 10 Mustangs. Ford should definitely consider this to bring the CKD route, I would not be surprised, if it ends up selling 3x the current numbers.
2. Toyota sells 8 Landcruiser and outsells Prado. Despite that, biggest surprise for me is Toyota sold 2 Prado Even after this http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...60-lakh-3.html, Toyota managed to sell 2 copies of this overpriced vintage SUV.

Last edited by PrideRed : 9th July 2018 at 12:41.
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2018, 13:06   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autorahul View Post
I did an analysis of how much money a model is bringing in for the manufacturer, by averaging out the ex-showroom prices. It reveals some pretty interesting insights.
Excellent work. Puts value perspective to the whole numbers game. Though margins will be better for volume players but I suspect there is no way to get per unit contribution information.

Is there any analysis available of sales by vehicle + area? Metro, Mini-metro and upcountry? Would love to see depth of sales by manufacturer or vehicle.

Edit: Excellent work as usual
Old 9th July 2018, 13:48   #27
Senior - BHPian

The Endeavour is on the third spot with a 63% MOM rise in the Top Gainer's list!

With a dedicated thread on the Endevour missing the K Truss running into multiple pages, it hasn't really dented the sales any which way it seems.

Goes to say that the general consensus on TBhp that buyers don't really put safety first on their list stands true, perhaps.
Old 9th July 2018, 14:02   #28
BHPian

Very interesting numbers. While monthly undulations in shares matter little given internal factors, some trends definitely are insightful. Here's some points:

1. Maruti's continued dominance is exemplary. D'zire doesn't seem to be suffering in spite of Amaze's success. Will Amaze therefore consolidate non-Maruit volumes in the segment?

2. Kodiaq, in spite of what I feel is a seriously overpriced offering, outsells its formerly successful cousin Superb. Case for getting the Karoq a little faster?

3. Tata's performance is riveting. I've been keeping an eye on them given my heavy investments in the stock . Really fantastic what they are doing. Their upcoming SUV twins should finally pose some challenges for the Creta (A Land Rover platform with a Fiat engine... mouthwatering stuff). They seem to have the product more or less sorted. On to service now?

4. Hyundai, you beauty. Content on high premium offerings which have become segment bests in most cases. Verna is a very well packaged product. So is Creta. i20 is old but still competitive in it's segment (my pick of the lot for sure). Grand i10's no schmuck. Brilliant.

Exciting times ahead.

Last edited by Annibaddh : 9th July 2018 at 14:04.
Annibaddh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2018, 16:34   #29
BHPian

Maruti Suzuki India will always lead the pack due it's combination of aggressive product strategies, excellent marketing and PR teams, huge research inputs, practical and logical thinking management, strong dealer network and well implemented on ground products. Although their cars are not beauty contest winners nor reflect quality inspite of the introduction of new designs, still they have managed to lead because of the strong resale value and Tier II & tier II cities penetration effectively. Am happy to see the SCross do well, as it is the only car in their product range which feels solid and looks nice after the latest update. The Baleno though having a good design but feels very light. The numbers all these years speak for their success.

Hyundai will keep lagging behind MSI in India unless and until they add atleast 6 - 7 new products and expand their dealer networks across India faster. Their 4 cars in latest updates are selling well (Grand i10, Elite i20, Verna & Creta) and helping the momentum. The success of Creta is undermined by many still inspite of doing such large volumes consistently since it's launch. Am sure with updates in future, it will continue to do well, it is the Innova of Hyundai.

Tata Motors should now revisit their strategy on Tigor and launch with better engine, then only it will match the volumes of the good looking and successful Tiago. They need a few more cars to get launched soon, good to see them coming up.

Mahindra & Mahindra needs to bring their design team from Pinnafarina to India, as their XUV 300 XL design is a joke. The TUV 300 in itself is selling decently. But I wonder the present management strategies are going to help them grow an further as the dealers seem to be losing patience.

VW, Skoda, Renault & Nissan are in a similar situation as GM India was, it remains to be seen who will survive amongst these in the future.

FIAT is on the crutches of JEEP now, till when only future knows.

The introduction of car manufacturers like KIA is looked foward to, which will further ensure better products for buyers.
Old 9th July 2018, 17:15   #30
BHPian

Excellent compilation. I was having a heated debated with a colleague (couple of years back) that VW with its solidly built products will in next few years improve its market share. 1.09 % is too bad for some well made products. Lack of new products hitting them badly? Is there anything they could do or just go with the run down the hill?

Impressed with Hyundai, particularly, Creta numbers, with updates lined up, it will only do better.

Last edited by GTO : 10th July 2018 at 11:05. Reason: typo
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks