Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2018, 13:19   #106
BHPian

Re: The cleverest & most innovative features you've seen in mainstream cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by raihan View Post
It not only had a slot but came with the umbrella as well! I remember him saying 'paisa vasool' upon finding it.
I remember this too. He was so happy when he found the umbrella. I miss Sam.
Old 25th July 2018, 15:41   #107
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjebs View Post
That was his Skoda Superb!
For the first 2 days he would show anyone who cared the umbrella slot. I think there was a song by Rihanna he used to sing for that.

Ha, ha he was so amused by the space inside the car, he pretended to call his driver (Akbar) on his mobile phone. Sam was one of a kind. Never a dull moment with him around.
navin is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 25th July 2018, 21:58   #108
BHPian

I have the 2012 Honda Jazz and it has 3 things that i think are pretty clever:
1. At the bottom of the center console, just in front of the gear lever, there is some space for 2 cups and two more small cubby spaces to hold things like lost change, cards, etc. When you turn on the headlights, there is a small light bulb that illuminates that area so you don't have to turn on the cabin light every time you need to look for something in that space. It is super convenient. I never realized the importance of that light until the folks at the service center forgot to connect it back after fixing some issue with my OEM music system. I couldn't take a picture of it but here is something for a reference as to what area gets illuminated.
The cleverest & most innovative features you've seen in mainstream cars-center-console.jpg

2. The second thing I really like about the car is that the power windows work even after switching off the car and even after taking out the keys. The only condition is that none of the doors should be opened after taking out the key. There have been times I have taken out the key only to realize that I left a window open and just pull on the switch and its done. No need to put in the key and make the ECU and everything boot up one extra time just to close a window. Doesn't work when you have passengers who are eager to leave the car but leave their windows open.

3. The third is something that I don't really care about but still a nice thing to have. The cap for the windshield washer fluid reservoir has this long plastic "band" that hangs from it. To check the level of water in the reservoir, pull out the cap and the band comes along with it which has small holes. Generally with washer fluid which is a bit soapy, these holes will have a soapy film so you know how much fluid is in there.
The cleverest & most innovative features you've seen in mainstream cars-washer-fluid-cap.jpg

4. Magic seats have already been discussed and Honda is really going backwards with the 2018 Jazz.

I'm pretty sure there are other neat features in the smart hatchback that I am forgetting.
smarth.katyal is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th July 2018, 09:06   #109
BHPian

Wow! a nice thread to compile the most "WOW!!!" features seen in a car.

Well let me start with my 2004 Hyundai Accent Viva. Probably the first new age car with an OBD port and ECU managed engine in India?

- Rear Demister had a timer and turns off after 10 mins of usage. Probably to save glasses with Films from damage?

- Variable intermittent Wiper settings in that time and age. As someone pointed on the Honda Brio single or long press wipe that resulted into a slow single swipe or a multi fast swipes. Accent had this covered in 2004 Even the rear wiper had intermittent swipe.
- Cool Electric Antenna.
- Smart Pedals, cuts fuel if both brake and accelerator pedal is pressed together cutting A Pedal inputs.

2009 Mahindra Xylo:

- A Cool MID with full vehicle information was so ahead of the age 9 years ago.
- Vanity, Puddle, Glove Box lights that turn off after 10 mins of use to save battery.
Default high speed warning at 130KMPH apart from user selectable speed warning.

2014 VW Jetta:

Thanks to its Modular design and umpteen number of various independent controllers has lots of smart features many of which are already listed by owners on this thread. Mentioning the ones not listed already. Some of which are enabled for Jetta via the VCDS.

- Rain Closing Windows: Imagine you forget a window open out in a parking and it starts to rain. Well the car will close the window(s) to save the interior from getting spoilt.

-Auto Footwell lights: Bright glow with door open/Ignition off, reduces to user selectable dimmed lighting once the door is closed and Ignition is turned on.

-One side parking lights: Put indicator for any side and turn off the car, the parking light for that side will be on just to save on battery when parking on a road side.

-Auto Front Lighting 2: On each engine start, the projectors dip, do a dance of sorts and come back to normal position. The car is judging the inclination angle to adjust the lighting spread. Once you start rolling, the right and left spread is adjusted according to the vehicle speed to aid visibility and at Speeds above 120, it enters Highway mode with all lights always on till you stop. Lights also turn on during heavy rains. Also part of it are true 90 degree cornering lights that work with steering input/indicator below 30kmph. Above 30 Kmph, the projects swivel with steering input to aid cornering visibility, a big boon in the hills.

-Auto Dimmable Console lighting which dimms according to ambient lighting conditions. In case of any error or a warning, the central MFD brightens up with a Chime. Even the ICE screen has auto brightness.

-Safe lock: When enabled, Car does not open from inside once you lock it. Reminds you everytime you turn off the engine so you do not leave anyone inside and lock the car.

-TPMS: Warns you in case a tyre looses pressure.

-Wiper Fluid low warning

-Brake pad replacement alert.

-Once you lock the car and after the coming home lights have turned off, you can again turn on the lights using a single press on the boot button. It will again turn off in the set time or can be turned off using Lock button.

One heck of a car I would say.

Last edited by vinayrathore : 26th July 2018 at 09:10. Reason: Spelling
vinayrathore is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th July 2018, 14:49   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayrathore View Post
*SNIP*

-Auto Footwell lights: Bright glow with door open/Ignition off, reduces to user selectable dimmed lighting once the door is closed and Ignition is turned on.
I have a 2015 facelift Highline and I don't think it has this feature. I do not remember seeing anything about being able to adjust the footwell lights to any user-defined parameter at all!

Quote:
-Auto Front Lighting 2: *SNIP* Once you start rolling, the right and left spread is adjusted according to the vehicle speed to aid visibility and at Speeds above 120, it enters Highway mode with all lights always on till you stop.
Huh? That's not how the auto-levelling lights work. It does not adjust the spread to speed at all. And I do not know what you mean by "Highway Mode with all lights on until you stop" - what all lights? All lights are on all the time irrespective of speeds.

Quote:
-Auto Dimmable Console lighting which dimms according to ambient lighting conditions. In case of any error or a warning, the central MFD brightens up with a Chime. Even the ICE screen has auto brightness.
This is interesting - I have not noticed this in my car at all and do not remember seeing a setting for it! Maybe I just missed seeing the setting? Where is it? In my car it stays at the same brightness.

Quote:
-Safe lock: When enabled, Car does not open from inside once you lock it. Reminds you everytime you turn off the engine so you do not leave anyone inside and lock the car.
I have read about this, and I have not seen any such message while turning off the engine. I wonder whether they removed the feature in the facelift or changed the behaviour to needing a double-lock to activate it.

Quote:
-TPMS: Warns you in case a tyre looses pressure.
Again, nope, not on my car. No TPMS. Have they actually downgraded the car during the facelift?????

Quote:
-Brake pad replacement alert.
I did not know this existed at all, have never seen it. I was asked to replace my pads during service by the SA, but the car never told me anything. So, again, I am not sure whether the facelift does not have this feature, or if the SA pre-empted the message and decided that the pads needed to be replaced before their time.

Cheers
tilt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2018, 16:32   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

XUV has an extendable neck for rear windshield spray container.

This is located on the floor next to 3rd row seats, so there is a chance of spillage, an extendable neck arrests this risk.

Not many are aware of this, I too came to know about this two years in to ownership by accidentally.

The cleverest & most innovative features you've seen in mainstream cars-img_20170721_191754820.jpg
mpksuhas is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 26th July 2018, 22:52   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post

This is located on the floor next to 3rd row seats, so there is a chance of spillage, an extendable neck arrests this risk.

Not many are aware of this, I too came to know about this two years in to ownership by accidentally.

Attachment 1784283
That's an excellent find, i had no idea about it and kept spilling water while refilling that tank.

I think this deserves a separate thread and it can be headlined as hidden features in your car
rahul_kej is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2018, 23:51   #113
BHPian

The higher versions of the Ford F-Series trucks and the 2018 Lincoln Navigators have a numeric pad to unlock the doors. In the Lincoln it is discreet even. This allows you to leave your keys safely inside the car if you want to go jogging or swimming and don't want the keys dangling in your pocket. You can use a numeric code to lock and unlock the car. I think this is a cool feature.

The new Range Rover Velar too has a similar feature although you have to wear a fitness band kind of thing on your wrist. You can then leave your keys inside the car. The car has sensors fitted on the sides, boot and even the roof to sense the presence of the band and thus unlock the car.
SCORPION is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2018, 23:55   #114
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
what surprises me is that there is even a separate container present - Any other cars that you know of which has this separate rear wiper fluid container ?
Old 27th July 2018, 00:37   #115
BHPian

-Honda Odysseys inbuilt vacuum cleaner
-BMWs 7 has a button for dry brake , it activates with rain sensing wipers and the brake shoes move closer and lower airpressure dries and sucks up the water particles.
-Heated windshield wipers, have used it and it works
-Panic braking turns on the hazzard light automatically in some cars
-Fiats follow me home and timing ability

Last edited by ARAY : 27th July 2018 at 00:40.
Old 27th July 2018, 10:19   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

- Rear Demister had a timer and turns off after 10 mins of usage. Probably to save glasses with Films from damage?
There are 2 reasons why it's timed to go off and this is the set up in every car with rear demister.

- the heating coils suck power like no other and if it isn't timed, the alternator's gonna struggle to sustain itself.

- you will find thin strips or lines on the glass and they are heating coils. After a while they become super hot and end up like burning coal embers. Cars with film at the back will have bits of burnt smoke coming through. If it isn't controlled, it becomes a fire hazard.
swiftdiesel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2018, 11:29   #117
Senior - BHPian

There are a few details in our Fiesta which I found to be quite smart and charming!

1) If you reverse properly into the garage, the car is smart enough to not make the proximity sensor beep. Only the visual sensor will be active. And if any edge of the car gets too close to a wall, the beep will increase progressively while the music volume goes the other way down. I have a narrow drive way and I like when there are no beeps on days when I absolutely nail the reverse parking. And its quite the trick on the Fiesta with its super quick steering with a variable ratio.

2) Switch the car off but the music player and the bluetooth keeps working. And it stops only when you open the front door. An active call on the bluetooth will be transferred to your mobile too by Sync.

3) Love the way the auto wipers pick up speed for the same amount of rain when you downshift and increase the speed of the car. And the way it come on for the first time it rains after a break or a few months.

4) Lock the car with the doors open. It will not lock then. But you close the doors and the car will auto lock.

5) The voice command is really cool to impress others. So long as you stick to some keywords. The real life utility is however meh! I think I haven't used for a year or so. Need to check if she is still there or left us long back. LOL

6) Love the lights - puddle, foot-well, parking, windows, cluster, console... Open the door and its lights all around you both inside and out. I felt the Ford was really overdoing it when we got the car. But now I miss it very badly in most cars. Especially for a country like ours where there is not much light after sun down.

7) Also appreciate how the ACC can remember any setting - temp, blower speed, mode etc when you restart the car. And how it blows hot air to the foot well for a few seconds rather than your face when you switch it on irrespective of the mode that its set in.

I guess that will do for the time being!!

In other cars, one feature I really liked was the top view 360 camera in Endeavour and Cayenne when I got to drive these beasts in mad city traffic. If the speed is low and others come too close, it gives both visual and audio warnings. Was quite useful.

And I experienced the other end of it a few weeks back when I was in my friend's GMC Yukon XL. We were taking a free right and suddenly the passenger seat started vibrating. Took a bit of time to understand it was the Yukon letting me know that my friend was a bit too close to a car to his left. My friend was rather chuffed to see my face though. Guess GMC intended just that
deetjohn is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th July 2018, 15:00   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
Cleverest features I found:
1. Tumble down rear seats.
2. Headlights off when ignition is turned off.
3. Double crank protection.
4. Internally adjustable mirrors.
5. Front doors cannot be locked by pushing down the lock tab and slamming the door. You cannot lock the car with the key inside.
6. Eccentric rail for front seats. When you pull the seat forward, it also rises up and vice versa.

This was in 1996 on an entry level car. Some of these features are still not available on some cars today.
The 1st 5 are present in our 1999 Fiat Uno
DudeWithaFiat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2018, 00:45   #119
BHPian

Quote:
-One side parking lights: Put indicator for any side and turn off the car, the parking light for that side will be on just to save on battery when parking on a road side.
One heck of a car I would say.
Is it not the turn Indicator working for that side? what you meant by one side parking light?

Last edited by Naveen_0181 : 28th July 2018 at 00:47. Reason: Using Proper Quote tags
Old 28th July 2018, 09:25   #120
BHPian

Hi Tilt, Sorry for the delayed revert. I guess you missed one line in my post: "Some of which are enabled for Jetta via the VCDS." Although not part of the stock configuration in the Indian Jetta, they are built into the car and can be enabled in a jiffy. Barring footwell lights where the part is missing too which again is plug and play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
I have a 2015 facelift Highline and I don't think it has this feature. I do not remember seeing anything about being able to adjust the footwell lights to any user-defined parameter at all!
This feature is present in all Highline models. You just need to add the footwell lights available online on Aliexpress. The BCM/CECM has a port available where the footwell lights are plugged in.

Quote:
Huh? That's not how the auto-levelling lights work. It does not adjust the spread to speed at all. And I do not know what you mean by "Highway Mode with all lights on until you stop" - what all lights? All lights are on all the time irrespective of speeds.
Again this is AFS2 at work and thats how it works. Enabled via the VCDS. Below is the Youtube link explaining how it works:

Quote:
This is interesting - I have not noticed this in my car at all and do not remember seeing a setting for it! Maybe I just missed seeing the setting? Where is it? In my car it stays at the same brightness.
My Car's console is brighter during the day and dimms in the night. Any warning makes the MFD screen brighten up.

Quote:
I have read about this, and I have not seen any such message while turning off the engine. I wonder whether they removed the feature in the facelift or changed the behaviour to needing a double-lock to activate it.
In my case the page number 52 of the user manual has the instructions on how to enable it.

Quote:
Again, nope, not on my car. No TPMS. Have they actually downgraded the car during the facelift?????
Enabled via the VCDS, works well.

Quote:
I did not know this existed at all, have never seen it. I was asked to replace my pads during service by the SA, but the car never told me anything. So, again, I am not sure whether the facelift does not have this feature, or if the SA pre-empted the message and decided that the pads needed to be replaced before their time.

Cheers
Did you check if the pads were really used up? There is a pad wear sensor that lights up a warning light in the console to tell you whenever the brake pads are end of life. Mine are factory pads and still have some life left after 66k kms.

Last edited by vinayrathore : 28th July 2018 at 09:26.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks