Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2018, 10:04   #121
BHPian

Re: The cleverest & most innovative features you've seen in mainstream cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
what surprises me is that there is even a separate container present - Any other cars that you know of which has this separate rear wiper fluid container ?
My 2014 Endeavour has both the features, extendable filler as well as rear washer fluid container. Pic attached for reference.
Many other SUV's have this feature. Why SUV's? Drop in pressure due to length of pipe from engine bay to rear windshield, so it makes sense to have a separate motor and tank arrangement.
Attached Thumbnails
The cleverest & most innovative features you've seen in mainstream cars-img_20180728_095847.jpg  

itsmb is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th July 2018, 17:53   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naveen_0181 View Post
Is it not the turn Indicator working for that side? what you meant by one side parking light?
Hi Naveen,

When the car is off, the indicator will not work. Instead, the parking light will be on for that particular side. So when parking, you simply turn the indicator stalk to right or left, if the car is off already, it will chime to tell you that one side parking is on. If its still running, the indicator will work till you turn the car off and it will then chime.

Hope that clarifies.
vinayrathore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2018, 19:28   #123
BHPian

One of the best safety features I discovered in my 2012 VW Jetta during Aug 2017 Mumbai floods.

The car was left parked overnight in 2-3 feet of water. The next morning I found the passenger front window automatically scrolled down around 50% possibly to let in fresh air when flooding reached a certain threshold.

Though this damaged the interiors but can prove life saving for its occupants. We have heard of many people dying in cars during floods due to suffocation. Very thoughtful of VW.
Old 28th July 2018, 19:42   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye View Post
One of the best safety features I discovered in my 2012 VW Jetta during Aug 2017 Mumbai floods.

The car was left parked overnight in 2-3 feet of water. The next morning I found the passenger front window automatically scrolled down around 50% possibly to let in fresh air when flooding reached a certain threshold.

Though this damaged the interiors but can prove life saving for its occupants. We have heard of many people dying in cars during floods due to suffocation. Very thoughtful of VW.
Unlikely that this was a feature

Probably something shorted and the window came down

Just my theory
sridhu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2018, 20:10   #125
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Even though almost all these innovative features have been covered mostly by the fellow Figo and the Aspire owners, I discovered something unique yesterday in my Ford Figo Tdci. The low fuel icon is not dependent on the DTE but on the actual amount of fuel which is left in the tank. Since I have shifted my residence, my city-highway driving is almost 50:50 vs earlier 30:70. This has resulted in reduced mileage.

I was a bit alarmed when the low fuel icon did not show up on the MID inspite the DTE showing less than 80. It finally appeared when the DTE was at 59. This has also led me to the conclusion that the low fuel icon comes on when there is about 4 litres of fuel left. Or maybe it is actually 4+1 litres as there has been a single instance when I had to drive for about 10km after DTE reached 0. Now, why didn't I notice this earlier? Due to similar driving pattern and almost similar mileage with every tankful.

In the Jetta and the earlier Fiesta which we had, the low fuel icon is dependent on the range/DTE.
Old 29th July 2018, 10:05   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
In the Jetta and the earlier Fiesta which we had, the low fuel icon is dependent on the range/DTE.
I have been observing in my Jetta and it indeed is dependent on the quantity of fuel and not DTE. There is a huge variance depending on the driving pattern in the DTE figures when the Low Fuel warning triggers. Usual low traffic pattern have the DTE around 90~100 when the yellow light comes on. High traffic pattern goes to below 50 some times.
vinayrathore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2018, 10:26   #127
BHPian

Lights(low/high beam) of elite i20 switches off when u try to crank the engine after the car has stalled. Lights turns on when the engine is up and running. A great feature to save the bulbs and reduce the battery load. As far as I can remember, this was not available in our igen i20.
abhipuri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2018, 12:04   #128
BHPian

I don't think any person who's worth being called an engineer, let alone a german engineer, would be able to live with himself if he would program the low fuel icon based on DTE rather than actual fuel left. Also since the DTE is itself calculated based on the fuel left and the current driving manner/latest average fuel consumption, it would be stupid not to base the low fuel warning on the actual fuel level.
rdst_1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th July 2018, 17:51   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORPION View Post
The higher versions of the Ford F-Series trucks and the 2018 Lincoln Navigators have a numeric pad to unlock the doors. In the Lincoln it is discreet even. This allows you to leave your keys safely inside the car if you want to go jogging or swimming and don't want the keys dangling in your pocket. You can use a numeric code to lock and unlock the car. I think this is a cool feature.
Not a new feature I think.

My 2014 Ford Fusion has this. Even my cousin's Explorer has this. And yes, it is discreet. I have often used this feature when I go to the beach or camping.

It also allows you to open the boot by the way.
Attached Thumbnails
The cleverest & most innovative features you've seen in mainstream cars-keylessentry.jpg  

raj_5004 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2018, 01:23   #130
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORPION View Post
The higher versions of the Ford F-Series trucks and the 2018 Lincoln Navigators have a numeric pad to unlock the doors. In the Lincoln it is discreet ......You can use a numeric code to lock and unlock the car. I think this is a cool feature.
Ford/Lincoln had this since atleast the mid 90s, if not earlier. Thought maybe it was just a 90s gimmick.

Recently saw a video and was surprised that it was offered still, albeit in touch form.
Used to wonder why other companies don't offer it, till I came across this in Quora.

http://https://www.quora.com/Ford-ha...cturer-done-so

Looks like it is patented.
DicKy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2018, 15:55   #131
BHPian

Great thread. This could be a very useful source for car salespeople to bring the "wow" factor. I have been documenting these clever but less obvious features in a doc for the past few years. This thread will help me to finalise that report now. Thank you ChiragM!

Some more of such features,

1. Illuminated seat belt buckle. Ideally goes off after plugging in. Found in Mercedes Benz

The cleverest & most innovative features you've seen in mainstream cars-atlas.jpg
Pic Source: Newatlas.com.
Link to the actual patent for those interested, https://patents.google.com/patent/US5892436

2. Dedicated button to repeat the last navigation command. Quite handy to judge the distance for the next turn. Found in the Audi A4.

The cleverest & most innovative features you've seen in mainstream cars-audi.jpg

3. Aspherical mirror surface as a part of the ORVM to increase the field of view. Seen in most of the premium cars.

The cleverest & most innovative features you've seen in mainstream cars-vw.jpg
Picture source: VW Passat review by Gannu_1.
The patent link for the invention, https://patents.google.com/patent/WO2013062342A1/en

4. "Low battery in Remote key" warning. Tesla Model S, Infinity Q50 and the likes seem to have this feature.

The cleverest & most innovative features you've seen in mainstream cars-tesla.jpg
Source: youtube.com/hFTzvqDVl2c

5. Vehicle honks on double key press. Ford Figo has this useful feature that helps in locating the car when parked amidst a lot of other cars in a parking. Also helps when you are picking up a rental car from a big airport parking area.

6. Aerodynamics to help you stay clean. DAF trucks claim that air is channelled in such a way that the door handles remain clean from dirt. Seriously!

The cleverest & most innovative features you've seen in mainstream cars-daf.jpg
Source: 2016 DAF XF brochure.

7. Fender mirrors and frontal blind spot mirror in Trucks to help driver look out cyclists and pedestrians.

The cleverest & most innovative features you've seen in mainstream cars-volvo.jpg
The cleverest & most innovative features you've seen in mainstream cars-volvo1.jpg
Picture Source: Volvo Website and YouTube channel

8. Detachable Cabin lamp or boot lamp with a magnetic base that will help in adhering to metallic surfaces. Especially handy when replacing a flat tyre at night.

9. Removable headrests that can double up as glass breakers. (not sure if any OEM has made it official!)

10. Provision for cup-holders in the inside of the glove box doors. I can't remember which vehicle has this though.

11.Accidental Reverse gear protection in Automatic gearboxes. Most of the auto-boxes out there have a software gate to prevent the reverse gear from engaging at positive forward speed. Some manual models solve it by having a dedicated secondary action (like pushing up a ring or pressing down the lever) for the reverse gear engagement.

12. Automatic rev-matching to prevent stalling in higher gears and when starting too. I have noticed this in the Renault Pulse that accelerates on its own to the required minimum rpm when you shift up. And some cars like the Figo, have an anti-stall mechanism that keeps up the rev even if the driver doesn't apply any throttle.
vivee90 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st July 2018, 16:15   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
what surprises me is that there is even a separate container present - Any other cars that you know of which has this separate rear wiper fluid container ?
My 2011 Pajero has this as well. A separate rear windshield washer tank with an extendable filler.

The Pajero also has fully reclining front seats which become flush with the rear seats thus creating a flat bed. It also has rear seats that tumble forward to make more space.

It also has a a height adjustable radio antenna. A vehicle attitude meter that measures pitch and roll is also present.

There is also a full tool box integrated in the rear door panel. It even has a flashlight in the tool box apart from a spotting lamp that plugs into a cigarette lighter with the cable long enough to go around the vehicle.

By far the thing I like the most is the radiator fan. It has a viscous clutch unit that speeds up the fan based on coolant temperature. It is purely mechanical with no electric motors.

Last edited by Traveler : 31st July 2018 at 16:18.
Traveler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2018, 16:19   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragM View Post

Curve guidance
This feature is available on some Hyundais (including the Verna and Creta). It gives a "curve ahead" audible warning to the driver when approaching a curve on the road. Can be useful when you are driving on an unknown highway or when there is limited visibility.
I remember seeing video reviews of the new G30 5 Series, where the car gets an adaptive mode which adjusts the adaptive suspension based on inputs from the on board navigation system. So if there is a curve ahead, it will firm up the suspension to reduce body roll.

Don't know if this is activated for India cars though. For India, an adaptive mode that can remember exact location and size of potholes would really be something.
Santoshbhat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st July 2018, 16:45   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
In the Honda Brio, if you quickly tap the wiper stalk upwards, the wiper swipe is very fast. If you tap the stalk upwards gently (slowly), the wiper will swipe slowly.
Tested this in my Honda Jazz. If you press and hold the stalk upwards, it wipes fast. If you press up and release immediately, it does a normal speed swipe!
Old 31st July 2018, 16:56   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivee90 View Post
10. Provision for cup-holders in the inside of the glove box doors. I can't remember which vehicle has this though.
My Tata Nexon has it.
Don't know about other cars
DriveOnceMore is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks