Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2018, 10:23   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen now offers 7-year extended warranty in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarendranath View Post
Interesting, I thought this could not be purchased if the car was out of the 2 + 2 extended warranty period. My 4th year has come to an end this April and I am wondering if

1. Is my car eligible for an additional warranty purchase?
2. IF yes for 1, Will I have to buy the warranty for individual years or can I purchase it for the next 3 years?

Could you shed some light on this please
Yes, you are eligible for add on warranty purchase. Only point to note (and this needs to be verified once more) is that you cannot purchase a pro-rated warranty. So if you buy now for the 5th year, the whole 5th year has to be paid (which won't make sense as you are already 8 months into the 5th year). Otherwise you buy the 6th year, but this will kick in only in April 2019 when your 6th year kicks in. Again this is based on what the SA told me in September when this was launched. He said I can buy it then but it will kick in only at the start of the 6th year which starts on December 1st. Which I why I purchased it now.

Add On warranty as I understand is yearly. You cannot buy for 2 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
I own a Volkswagen Jetta TDI purchased in November, 2014. Sorry for this noob question but is it possible to avail for extended warranty upto 7 years considering:

- My car's standard warranty has already expired and I didn't opt for the 4 year extended warranty

- The car is completely stock and has been serviced regularly at the same VW service centre for the past 4 years. No major issues except for a water pump change and a wheel speed sensor gone bad.
Yes, you should be able to take the add on warranty. There is no dependence on earlier warranties-Which is why they do the inspection if it is out of warranty.

Only point to note is that the Jetta warranty for a year is 50k+ (Refer 2nd page in the thread). Considering the Jetta Diesel is a relatively reliable car and even in AT guise comes with the more reliable DSG, need to decide if it is worth it.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2018, 11:52   #62
Senior - BHPian

So, had a detailed discussion with the Pune dealer on this piece.

For reference, my DSG TDi Vento's Extended Warranty (extension of 2 yrs after New Vehicle 2 yrs Warranty) expires Sept'19.

Here are some of my considerations and observations after talking to the dealer and looking up the VW site:-
  • All the points for add-on warranty mentioned on the VW India site located here
  • Official price list, extracted from the VW site for everyone's quick reference:-
    Name:  EW and AddOn Warranty.PNG
Views: 4312
Size:  246.8 KB
  • Like every price list on our planet earth, this price list is also subject to change periodically (read:likely to increase next year when the revisions are announced).
  • Since I have the 7-speed DSG, I better take the add-on warranty (Touchwood, not a complaint so far in my 3 yr/55,000 km ownership so far).
    However, I got to know that I cannot purchase the add-on warranty right now (i.e. with about 10 months to go before the expiry of my extended warranty) just to avail of the current (lower?) warranty price list .
    The add-on warranty has to be purchased only within 1 month of extended warranty's expiry, or after a month of expiry also (subject to inspection by the authorised dealer).
  • As rightly mentioned by BHPIans, this add-on warranty carries a clause of 1 yr/20,000 km limit at a time.
    This means that one cannot purchase this add-on warranty in batch of 2 yrs (unlike the Extended Warranty option, where you could purchase the 2 yr option or the currently introduced 3 yr option at a go).
  • With the add-on warranty option included by VW, since the overall tenure of getting the warranty for private car stands at 7 yrs, am hoping that this should give a tremendous confidence not only to current buyers (especially the "tentative" owners of DSG variants) but give some confidence to the next buyer also (albeit till 7 years of total ownership) and thereby push up the resale value quotient a bit
  • While one can peruse the 'standard' terms & conditions, I thought of extracting some peculiar info, which caught my attention:-
    Quote:
    defective parts replaced under this warranty shall not be handed over to the customer
    Wonder what will VW gain by retaining the parts in-house - do they intend to carry out more research or blank out public investigation in a DSG-failure type incident?
    Quote:
    add-on warranty not applicable for taxi or commercial registration vehicles
    Quote:
    if extended warranty is cancelled/gets void, add-on warranty is also cancelled and no refund will be made
    Quote:
    add-on warranty is NOT a mirror image of new vehicle/extended warranty
    . Guys, please check out the exclusions listed on the VW site in above first point!
    Quote:
    no claim will be accepted within first 15 days of the start of add-on warranty cover
    Might sound insignificant at first, but then by the time you are into the add-on warranty ownership period, your car would have crossed 4 or 5 yrs of possession and after that, this 15-day cool-off period is the one to watch out for!
    Quote:
    in case of ownership transfer, the balance add-on warranty would be effective for the new owner
    . So, if you bought the add-on warranty of the previous car in its 4 month, then you are eligible for any claims only for the remaining 8 months of the add-on warranty cover. The clock doesn't reset to zero.
    Quote:
    maximum two ownership changes are allowed
    This means that if the car with the add-on warranty were to change hands 2 times in a year, imagine the plight of the 3rd owner , since he/she might not have any significant period left to avail any claims for the add-on coverage within that year.

Last edited by JoshMachine : 29th November 2018 at 11:53.
JoshMachine is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th November 2018, 18:47   #63
Senior - BHPian

Still a bit confused. I have a 2015 Polo 1.2 MPi and had purchased the original 2+2 year warranty. That will expire in November 2019.

How much would it cost me to get the warranty for another three years? And do you think it's worth it for the 1.2 petrol models?
Old 29th November 2018, 22:41   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Yes it would be applicable. You would be eligible to buy the add on warranty for every year from now on given that the car passes the vw checklist in inspection. The cost is around 30-35k per year as per the list given in the first few pages.
Thanks a lot for the response. ��

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Typically no.
When I bought my Skoda it had an extended warranty upto 4 years. Then they suddenly introduced a longer extended warranty, but despite my car having been serviced by the same fellows year after year, they did not support my request citing that this facility of longer warranty was only with prospective effect and not with retrospective effect.
Thanks for the response sir. The warranty is available but have decided against it. Reasons are listed in the latter part of this post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Yes, you should be able to take the add on warranty. There is no dependence on earlier warranties-Which is why they do the inspection if it is out of warranty.

Only point to note is that the Jetta warranty for a year is 50k+ (Refer 2nd page in the thread). Considering the Jetta Diesel is a relatively reliable car and even in AT guise comes with the more reliable DSG, need to decide if it is worth it.
Thanks a lot for the response Rajeevraj sir. And more importantly your opinion.

You are right. I think Rs. 50K for only a year is very steep especially for my Jetta which is a manual.

Additionally, it's yearly running is less than 10K km and in the past 60K km, we haven't spent more then Rs. 8-9K (tops) on unscheduled maintenance (a water pump and ABS sensor).

Keeping all of this in mind, decided to not go in for the warranty. Had it been for a period of 3 years from the date of purchase of the warranty itself (don't think it's possible) might have given it a thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Still a bit confused. I have a 2015 Polo 1.2 MPi and had purchased the original 2+2 year warranty. That will expire in November 2019.

How much would it cost me to get the warranty for another three years? And do you think it's worth it for the 1.2 petrol models?
I am attaching a proper copy of the extended warranty price list since the picture on page 2 of this thread isn't very clear.

P.S. You might only be eligible for the renewal of 1 year since your car is 3 years old. (I might be wrong too). I suggest you don't go for the warranty then. It's around Rs. 20K for a year which I think is steep.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Volkswagen-EW-Price-Matrix-2018.pdf (282.1 KB, 262 views)

Last edited by vishy76 : 29th November 2018 at 22:46.
vishy76 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 11:01   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Since your extended warranty is a 2+2 option and expiring in Nov 2019, then as per my understanding and discussion with a Pune dealer (please refer my above post), you would not be eligible to add to your extended warranty option any more. You will have to buy the add-on warranty option (1 year at a time) only in case you wish to secure more cover.
As per the above price list, the price for your Polo in this add-on warranty option would be INR 12,348 plus taxes per year. Please confirm with your dealer though again to check for the latest prices, if any.

Whether the add-on warranty (in this case, it would be applicable for 3 more years) is required for the petrol models is something of an individual choice I would think, but generally it could depend on whether you intend to keep the car for that long .
Assuming you do, then going by past instances, it seems like there haven't been any long-term reliability failure incidents in the Polo petrol cars and that could help you in taking a decision.
JoshMachine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2018, 22:13   #66
BHPian

Does Skoda also offer any warranty on Rapid beyond the four-year/100000 kms warranty? I have been comparing the maximum possible warranty available on Skoda Rapid and Hyundai Verna. In the latter's instance, we are able to purchase warranties upto five years. Hyundai, as such, gives headache-free ownership to its customers.

And, in the case of VW, can a prospective buyer purchase all the add-on warranties (for the entire seven years) right at the time of buying the car?

Last edited by Vipin Kumar : 25th December 2018 at 22:15.
Old 26th December 2018, 04:55   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipin Kumar View Post
And, in the case of VW, can a prospective buyer purchase all the add-on warranties (for the entire seven years) right at the time of buying the car?
As already explained in a post earlier, you can purchase 5 years(2 + 3) warranty at the time of purchase. The add on warranty is subject to the condition that the vehicle is not driven more than 20,000 km in a given year. So you will not be able to purchase it ahead and can possibly buy it only towards the expiry of the fifth year warranty. Off course the add on then has to happen on a yearly basis up to the seventh year.
Old 17th January 2019, 11:47   #68
BHPian

I called up VW Whitefield (Apple Auto) this morning and had a chat with them. I was inquiring about add on warranty for my GT TSI that is in its fourth year of 2+2 warranty. He asked me to set up an appointment for a general check of the car. I reiterated that the car is still in warranty and questioned him whether the check is still required. He said yes and further mentioned that the procedure dictates the check. He also mentioned that the add on warranty can be purchased anytime before the extended warranty expires.

I am of the opinion that something is amiss and that person with whom I had a chat with does not all the details.

Did anyone have similar experience as the above?
Old 17th January 2019, 12:19   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipin Kumar View Post
Nope, you can't. The add-on warranty can ONLY be purchased towards the end of the extended warranty (technically, before/just after 1 month of the expiry date). Please refer to post #62, details explained completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinivasnvns View Post
I called up VW Whitefield (Apple Auto) this morning and had a chat with them. I was inquiring about add on warranty for my GT TSI that is in its fourth year of 2+2 warranty. He asked me to set up an appointment for a general check of the car. I reiterated that the car is still in warranty and questioned him whether the check is still required. He said yes and further mentioned that the procedure dictates the check. He also mentioned that the add on warranty can be purchased anytime before the extended warranty expires.
I am of the opinion that something is amiss and that person with whom I had a chat with does not all the details.
When is your extended warranty expiring?
Please ask the dealer for written instructions / message on the inspection and the expected cost, if any.
Old 17th January 2019, 12:32   #70
BHPian

Quote:
When is your extended warranty expiring?
Please ask the dealer for written instructions / message on the inspection and the expected cost, if any.
The extended warranty is expiring in May. I will also ask him for a mail on the matter.

I also spoke with another SA at VW Rajajinagar. She mentioned that the warranty can be purchased only in April and without inspection. Her remarks align with the notes in this thread. She asked me get back to her in April.

Does it matter where I purchase the add on warranty from or should I get it at the location where I purchased the car from or where I get it serviced regularly?
Old 17th January 2019, 12:51   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The extended warranty is expiring in May. I will also ask him for a mail on the matter.
Yes, asking for an official communication mandates the dealer to be transparent.

Quote:
I also spoke with another SA at VW Rajajinagar. She mentioned that the warranty can be purchased only in April and without inspection. Her remarks align with the notes in this thread. She asked me get back to her in April.
Sounds more like it

Quote:
Does it matter where I purchase the add on warranty from or should I get it at the location where I purchased the car from or where I get it serviced regularly?
Ideally speaking, it shouldn't matter where you purchase the warranty from (akin to getting the servicing done). As long as its a VW authorised dealer, I presume it should be valid.
Old 17th January 2019, 22:11   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Should not matter at all. I purchased at palace cross but purchased the extended and add on warranty at Apple auto in Bangalore.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2019, 22:56   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Should not matter at all. I purchased at palace cross but purchased the extended and add on warranty at Apple auto in Bangalore.
Thanks. Could you message me the SA contact at Apple Auto? Also, did you get your car through the general check before getting the add-on warranty?
Old 18th January 2019, 08:12   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. Could you message me the SA contact at Apple Auto? Also, did you get your car through the general check before getting the add-on warranty?
Don't recall the SA. I had just went without a prior appointment. Have detailed the steps followed in this post in this thread

If your car is out of any warranty, then the general check up is done. Otherwise it is not required.
Old 30th January 2019, 19:43   #75
Senior - BHPian

And now some more good news on this front.

VW is offering discount of upto 70% on both extended warranty and service value package between 26th Jan and 10th Feb!

Volkswagen now offers 7-year extended warranty in India-vw.png

On the site, one has to provide all details including car registration number to get the customized quote from the local dealer.

Link to site

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks