Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2020, 10:22   #106
Team-BHP Support

Re: Volkswagen now offers 7-year extended warranty in India

Can extended warranty be availed when the existing warranty clause has expired? In BigBrad's case, his fifth year add-on warranty has expired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrad View Post
My car's (2015 Polo TDI) 5th year add-on warranty expired on April 2020 and I've been trying to renew the same since the beginning of this year.
I recall that the car has to be under warranty when the add-on pack has to be taken. Not sure if this is the problem here? Can anyone else who's car is under extended warranty confirm?

EDIT: Just re-read the post and the OP was trying to renew it before the warranty expired. Not sure why VW would deny a warranty extension when they can easily make some money out of this. Win-win for both IMO. Extension plans for later years are expensive too.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 14th July 2020 at 10:38.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2020, 11:36   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Can extended warranty be availed when the existing warranty clause has expired? In BigBrad's case, his fifth year add-on warranty has expired.
No, they treat it as 'add-on' warranty then. My Jetta's warranty had expired 4 months before I bought add-on. VW denied giving me extended warranty when the car itself was being owned by them (as first owner) in the first place !!
neoonwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2020, 13:56   #108
BHPian

Quote:
EDIT: Just re-read the post and the OP was trying to renew it before the warranty expired. Not sure why VW would deny a warranty extension when they can easily make some money out of this. Win-win for both IMO. Extension plans for later years are expensive too.
Even I faced a similar issue. While trying to get the add on warranty for the first time my local dealer was clueless and adamant that they don't offer warranty after the 4th year of ownership.

And when I asked another dealer they said that they can issue add on warranty but only after the extended warranty (2+2) expires and that too with inspection.

Ultimately I got the add on warranty beginning 20 Nov,my extended warranty expired on 19 Nov without inspection.

I fail to understand whats the main issue here.Whether VW doesn't issue guidelines to its dealerships properly or the dealers don't choose to follow them.
Maybe they know that the add on warranty wont be able to cover expenses on 4-5+ year old complex german
Old 14th July 2020, 21:03   #109
BHPian

Quote:

I recall that the car has to be under warranty when the add-on pack has to be taken. Not sure if this is the problem here? Can anyone else who's car is under extended warranty confirm?

Add on warranty can be availed one month prior or 15 days post expiry of the existing warranty on the car. Existing warrant can be the original 2+2 or 2+3 or an add on warranty to the earlier two. In short, post 15 days of the expiry of any kind of warranty, it cannot be availed.

The cost price of the 6th and 7th year warrant for a polo was around Rs 14k odd, which was usually discounted to around Rs 9k.
Guess the failures reported in the 6th year might have been much higher or like someone on the forum said, in ability of volkswagen for a reinsurer off the add on warranty might have made them chuck it all together.

But then such a thing should be voiced out in the open amd not by a one line disclaimer. This is sheer cheating.

Just btw, off topic, your ownership thread is one of the best ive ever read. Went through the 70 odd pages in a single sitting. Please keep updating it more often. Gives us the confidence to tinker around, albeit with some prior homework like the way you do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrad View Post
My car's (2015 Polo TDI) 5th year add-on warranty expired on April 2020 and I've been trying to renew the same since the beginning of this year. But the dealer says VW is not allowing add-on purchases more than once per car. Initially, I thought it might be some dealer specific issue and contacted another dealer from a nearby district. But they too told me the same story of VW not approving add-on warranty renewal. I had also contacted the customer care, but did not get any response. I then tweeted the issue tagging VW India expecting a proper response from the company (and not dealer) and all I got was a call from the dealer who again explained the same. So currently, I'm living with an out of warranty German car with the only hope of a friendly SA and reasonably good dealer, in case something goes wrong.

Now this means, VW's offer of 7 year extended warranty for their cars turns out to be a false or misleading claim. When the 7 year warranty program was launched, nowhere it was mentioned that the add-on warranty would be offered only once per lifetime of a car. This is another India-specific cheating by the brand. The dieselgate scandal and issues like these have made me lose trust on the brand completely. The company has clearly cheated it's Indian customers once again.
They have slyly added a disclaimer to their website which states the add on warranty can only be purchased once. So much so for trusting a brand which is responsible for diesel gate.

Attaching the screenshot of their website. This kind of cheating surely deserves a new thread. Would be great to see the number of people suffering from this and whether a link to such a thread will force them on keeping up to their word. Pretty sure the non VW owners still think that there is a 7 year hassle free warranty. Will help prospective buyers make or break their decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishlinea7260 View Post
This is strange, you are correct that at the time of introducing the add on warranty they said that they will provide cover for 7 years.

If I recall they were perfectly fine with providing me coverage for one more year.
Only thing they said was if I do not buy it within the existing add on warranty period then they would have to inspect the car before they issue it.

Here’s the invoice for the 5 th year add on warranty and the quote for 6th year add on warranty.
Thanks a ton. I hope you don't mind me attaching these as a part of my email to Volkswagen where i intend to mark Steffan Knapp, Herbert Diess and Gurpratap Boparai. Hope too see things moving on this.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen now offers 7-year extended warranty in India-screenshot_20200714205400.png  

Last edited by seedyk : 14th July 2020 at 21:11.
seedyk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2020, 21:41   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedyk View Post
If possible, can you please share the copy of your warranty certificate here after masking your personal details. Will help us bargain a warranty for the 6th and 7th year with Volkswagen as they are going back on their word.
I don't think I ever got a certificate from VW itself. I do have the invoice of the dealer with the line item on extended warranty quoted. I can share that if it helps. But looking at the subsequent posts it looks like VW has slyly made some changes and is only offering it once. Makes no sense to do that.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2020, 21:52   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
I don't think I ever got a certificate from VW itself. I do have the invoice of the dealer with the line item on extended warranty quoted. I can share that if it helps. But looking at the subsequent posts it looks like VW has slyly made some changes and is only offering it once. Makes no sense to do that.
Now that's a shame if they haven't provided a copy. It's a 10 pager stating the policy period and terms of coverage. You should surely ask for it.

If you can share the invoice of the dealer with the line item, it would surely be helpful. I plan to pen down a dedicated thread over this weekend to understand how many of us collectively are facing the warranty issue.

Also such a thread will help prospective buyers in their decision making. I personally know a handful of guys making their decision to buy a volkswagen after being reluctant over the service/ parts costs after knowing about the 7 year warranty coverage. Pretty sure there are a lot more who deserve to know this marketing gimmick or outright cheating.

Thank you for offering to share the copy though
seedyk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 14:46   #112

I am looking to buy addon-warranty this month and VW is running some discounts till 30 April, so interested buyers can go for it.

VW says recertification is required so it will take few days (provided if all parameters look fine). I am suspecting my car to have some hidden issue in DSG clutch/DMF (already got kaput Mechatronics replaced in Jan from my own pocket since extended warranty had expired in June 2020)

I have requested coverage fine print for Add-on and received the attached below. Happy to know Clutch/DMF might be covered (even though its wear and tear item) so its worth getting warranty extended.

[ATTACH=ADD-ON WARRANTY PDF.pdf]2142552[/ATTACH]
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ADD-ON WARRANTY PDF.pdf (19.7 KB, 180 views)
Old 9th April 2021, 16:24   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedyk View Post
They have slyly added a disclaimer to their website which states the add on warranty can only be purchased once.
That's strange.
I bought my Vento's 2nd add-on warranty in Feb this year (into 6th year of ownership with odo 82k+ km). And I was told I could buy for 1 more year (7th year of ownership).
So far, things have been pretty straight-forward for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by somen87 View Post
I am looking to buy addon-warranty this month and VW is running some discounts till 30 April, so interested buyers can go for it.
What's the price they are offering you?
I got it for INR 26,440 after discounts of INR 2,542.

Quote:
already got kaput Mechatronics replaced in Jan from my own pocket since extended warranty had expired in June 2020
How much did it cost you?

Quote:
I have requested coverage fine print for Add-on and received the attached below. Happy to know Clutch/DMF might be covered (even though its wear and tear item) so its worth getting warranty extended.
Absolutely, warranty is a MUST for DSG coverage.
Old 9th April 2021, 18:06   #114
BHPian

My GT TSI is in its 5th year of warranty (extended). The current warranty period ends in June '21. I called theVW ASS to avail of ther 6th year (if not the 7th as well) and they have said that they can provide the 6th year extended warranty only one month before the expiry of the current warranty period, at the earliest.

Has anyone availed of the 6th or 7th year extended warranty earlier than 30 days of the expiry of the current warranty period? Could the warranty be taken directly from VW rather than through the ASS?
Old 9th April 2021, 18:16   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
That's strange.
I bought my Vento's 2nd add-on warranty in Feb this year (into 6th year of ownership with odo 82k+ km). And I was told I could buy for 1 more year (7th year of ownership).
So far, things have been pretty straight-forward for me.
This was an old post. I managed to get warranty for the 6th year for my polo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
My GT TSI is in its 5th year of warranty (extended). The current warranty period ends in June '21. I called theVW ASS to avail of ther 6th year (if not the 7th as well) and they have said that they can provide the 6th year extended warranty only one month before the expiry of the current warranty period, at the earliest.

Has anyone availed of the 6th or 7th year extended warranty earlier than 30 days of the expiry of the current warranty period? Could the warranty be taken directly from VW rather than through the ASS?
I availed the 6th year warranty in December 2020. And they let me take the check up for the warranty in the 30 days prior to the expiry of the warranty. Also my new 6th year warranty began after a cooling off period of 30 days from the last warranty period.

The best part was the price. The original price was Rs 14,xxx + GST for warranty for 6th and 7th year. VW Thane offered it at Rs 9.8k including GST. alA month later they called me to tell me there was another discount on the warranty and they overcharged me by mistake. And are returning 3k. So net net have got the 6th year warranty for my polo 1.2 mpi for Rs 6.8k.

Got to love VW Thane for this.
seedyk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2022, 10:31   #116
BHPian

Reviving this thread after a long gap. There is obviously some misconception about add on warranty. Took my car for annual service on 2 march 22 for 5th year (75k ) and asked for add on warranty for 6th year, though my Gt TSI has just done about 31k kms. Add on warranty for 5th year was given by dealership after thorough inspection last year but this time there was one excuse or the other to avoid giving 6th year add on warranty. Even last year I would not have got add on warranty because I had replaced original VW battery,which had gone kaput, with a compatible Exide battery. This was solved by the SA putting original VW battery from another vehicle and putting my Exide battery back after taking pictures of the engine bay. I have now been asked to check with dealership on 13 March ( the day current 5th year add on warranty expires) for 6th year add on warranty. Will give update then.
Old 5th April 2022, 16:26   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkr15 View Post
Reviving this thread after a long gap. There is obviously some misconception about add on warranty. Took my car for annual service on 2 march 22 for 5th year (75k ) and asked for add on warranty for 6th year, though my Gt TSI has just done about 31k kms. Add on warranty for 5th year was given by dealership after thorough inspection last year but this time there was one excuse or the other to avoid giving 6th year add on warranty. Even last year I would not have got add on warranty because I had replaced original VW battery,which had gone kaput, with a compatible Exide battery. This was solved by the SA putting original VW battery from another vehicle and putting my Exide battery back after taking pictures of the engine bay. I have now been asked to check with dealership on 13 March ( the day current 5th year add on warranty expires) for 6th year add on warranty. Will give update then.
Were you able to get the 6th Year Addon Warranty, I am in similar situation and your inputs would be helpful. The dealer is refusing to give 6th year addon since I already took the 5th Year Addon.

Surprisingly stupid rules from VW and quite frustrating. My car has done only 17.5 in 5 years and has never been touched by anyone except the dealer and there are 0 modifications, it is bone stock but still..
Old 5th April 2022, 19:15   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Were you able to get the 6th Year Addon Warranty, I am in similar situation and your inputs would be helpful. The dealer is refusing to give 6th year addon since I already took the 5th Year Addon.

Surprisingly stupid rules from VW and quite frustrating. My car has done only 17.5 in 5 years and has never been touched by anyone except the dealer and there are 0 modifications, it is bone stock but still..
Yes I did manage to get add on warranty for 6th year. Paid a little over 13K. I feel I should let you know some bizarre stuff that happened prior to sanction. Well on 13th March( the day previous add on was terminating) and as expected my GT 1.2 went through detailed inspection at the VW service centre. The battery swap trick was played out again. Was told that add on warranty certificate would be forwarded on my email address. in a week's time. On the 17th March , late in the evening got a call from the SA that some more checks need to be done and could I get the vehicle right away to the ASC. Was in no shape to drive in rush hour and told the SA that I could only come on 19th March as the next day,18 march was Holi holiday. To be honest, I was prepared for the worst. If add on warranty was not sanctioned I would simply ask VW to refund the 13K that I had been charged. Decided to give one more try and landed at ASC on 19th March, wherein I was freed in just 15 minutes. Apparently, VW wanted to be sure that no re mapping had been done. Never even in my wildest dreams have I thought of remapping.
The sanction of add on warranty from VW was received in my email( through ASC) on 27th or 28 March. And there were some more surprises The add on warranty period is valid from 19 April 22(one month and one day after final check to 18th April 23)!!! Go figure. The vehicle completed 5 years on 13 March and previous add on also ended on same day. Payment was also made on this day. So, technically speaking I'm out of warranty till 18 April. I'm not interested in pursuing for corrections any further and hoping all will be well.
vkr15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2022, 19:27   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkr15 View Post
Yes I did manage to get add on warranty for 6th year. Paid a little over 13K. I feel I should let you know some bizarre stuff that happened prior to sanction. Well on 13th March( the day previous add on was terminating) and as expected my GT 1.2 went through detailed inspection at the VW service centre. The battery swap trick was played out again. Was told that add on warranty certificate would be forwarded on my email address. in a week's time. On the 17th March , late in the evening got a call from the SA that some more checks need to be done and could I get the vehicle right away to the ASC. Was in no shape to drive in rush hour and told the SA that I could only come on 19th March as the next day,18 march was Holi holiday. To be honest, I was prepared for the worst. If add on warranty was not sanctioned I would simply ask VW to refund the 13K that I had been charged. Decided to give one more try and landed at ASC on 19th March, wherein I was freed in just 15 minutes. Apparently, VW wanted to be sure that no re mapping had been done. Never even in my wildest dreams have I thought of remapping.
The sanction of add on warranty from VW was received in my email( through ASC) on 27th or 28 March. And there were some more surprises The add on warranty period is valid from 19 April 22(one month and one day after final check to 18th April 23)!!! Go figure. The vehicle completed 5 years on 13 March and previous add on also ended on same day. Payment was also made on this day. So, technically speaking I'm out of warranty till 18 April. I'm not interested in pursuing for corrections any further and hoping all will be well.
VW and its idiosyncrasies. Second to none . Thanks for the detailed write-up. Would it be possible for you to share your VIN and Car Registration Number with me. The dealer here wants a reference case where 6th year Addon has been given so that they can issue me the 6th year warranty on the same basis.

You can PM me the details, or if you would like to keep this private then I can ask the dealership to call you directly to take the details. Do let me know via a PM or here, whichever suits you best.

Thanks

BTW: Where are you in PKL. Will catch up with you the next time I am town.

Last edited by Traveler : 5th April 2022 at 19:28.
Old 5th April 2022, 20:35   #120
BHPian

PM sent. Hope you receive it in time to get warranty extended.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks