Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2019, 13:02   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 2019 Hyundai Elantra facelift spotted in India, now launched @ 15.89 lakh

Completely overpriced for what it offers even when compared to the Verna, and far less compared to it's peers like the Octavia 1.4 & 1.8 TSIs and the 2.0 TDI.

Deriving a puny 150 bhp from a 2.0 petrol is almost criminal nowadays while retaining the identical 1.6 diesel Verna/Creta engine is suicidal too. In summary, the Elantra is a jack of all trades but master of none.

Feel that even Hyundai India has given up on the D segment sedans, and the new looks don't help much!
Old 7th October 2019, 08:58   #47
BHPian

For the price Hyundai is asking, they needed 1.4 turbo petrol from Seltos. A low slung sedan with 150 bhp and 240 nm torque would have been lot more fun and Hyundai could have priced it aggressively against Ocatavia 1.4 petrol both in manual and dct .
Old 7th October 2019, 09:15   #48
BHPian

I am just shocked to see Hyundai managing to cancel out the auto dimming mirrors just to accommodate blue link buttons? Such a lame excuse. I wonder how many more features are canceled out from the pre facelifted model. This was the same case with the Verna. Even Kia's UVO connect buttons are present in the auto dimming mirror.
Attached Thumbnails
2019 Hyundai Elantra facelift spotted in India, now launched @ 15.89 lakh-screenshot_20191007090948_youtube.jpg  

Old 7th October 2019, 09:46   #49
Senior - BHPian

I quite like the design of this face lift. It is sharp and has a sort of silhouette look.

I am a fan of the Elantra. The drive is good, the suspension is much improved today and is loaded to the gills with equipment. This is a top quality car and offers more bang for the buck than a Toyota Corolla. The power train isn't bad but the competition (Read Skoda/VW) is way ahead with Turbo petrol's and powerful diesel engines.
Old 7th October 2019, 10:25   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dheepak10 View Post
Even in international markets Elantra does not have Stop-Go Cruise Control.
The international Elantra does get auto cruise control, auto emergency braking and lane keep assist as per many online car reviews. Although these are limited to higher trims and variants.

http://. https://www.cars.com/articl...1420702667978/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster17 View Post
Disagree, Auto cruise in India as of now will be a headache. Look at the number of bikes zig - zagging, Cows,dogs and pedestrian running on streets. This might be good on a highway.
Down south, in Kerala I have found the cruise control very useful on night drives, even on a manual gearbox car. Adaptive cruise control will make the drive much more effortless.
Senior citizens who avoid the highway for traffic and other unexpected elements on the road will find this very useful.

As per Hyundai, if the car is equipped with an electronic parking brake, car is truly stop - go with ACC which can fully brake the car to a stop, and start off from standstill. ACC disengages below 6mph if there is no electric parking brake.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 7th October 2019 at 10:35. Reason: line spacing
Old 7th October 2019, 16:13   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT-S View Post
The international Elantra does get auto cruise control, auto emergency braking and lane keep assist as per many online car reviews. Although these are limited to higher trims and variants.
What I mentioned is Stop-go (Stop-Start) cruise control which is not available on the Elantra. Adaptive cruise control disengages when speed is lower than 5 kmph.
Hyundai offers this in the Sonata in international markets.
Old 7th October 2019, 17:35   #52
Senior - BHPian

A fully loaded Kia Seltos GTX-DCT would be a better buy and you could save a few lakhs as compared to the new Elantra! The Seltos is more flashy, Tech-superior, more feature rich and has the Go & Show. Compared to the Kia Seltos Elantra looks demure and understated. I see huge discounts in a few months for the Elantra: Neither the engine nor the gearbox are befitting this price bracket.
Durango Dude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2019, 18:18   #53
BHPian

I actually see the GDI engine of the seltos as a huge negative. I wouldn't buy it if I have another option of a port fuel injected engine.

TBH, the outgoing model of the Elantra is starting to look a lot more appealing to me, and I suspect this may be the reason for overpricing the new Elantra. Once the older stock is cleared, there could well be a correction in either features or prices of the new Elantra.
Old 7th October 2019, 18:25   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
A fully loaded Kia Seltos GTX-DCT would be a better buy and you could save a few lakhs as compared to the new Elantra! The Seltos is more flashy, Tech-superior, more feature rich and has the Go & Show. Compared to the Kia Seltos Elantra looks demure and understated. I see huge discounts in a few months for the Elantra: Neither the engine nor the gearbox are befitting this price bracket.
Elantra is bigger, faster, more comfortable & way more classier. All these glorified hatchback on stilts / pseudo-SUVs cant hold a candle to any proper sedan in driving pleasure.
Old 7th October 2019, 18:38   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
Elantra is bigger, faster, more comfortable & way more classier. All these glorified hatchback on stilts / pseudo-SUVs cant hold a candle to any proper sedan in driving pleasure.

Hatchback on stilts? Pseudo SUV? How much longer are we going to use these terms over and over again? Please come up with some originality in statements! Done and dusted statements over and over again!
Also, while on this topic, do you know which hatchback the Seltos is based on? If so, can you enlighten us please?

While I agree that a D segment sedan like the Elantra is surely going to be much better in terms of highway road manners and the likes, the reality is that globally cross overs are the trend. And in India too,a Creta might fetch a better sale than an Elantra over the years. The D segment Sedan is dead, well, almost. Only one car keeping it alive and that is the Octavia which is the only one in my view that is worth taking the plunge in the D segment.
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2019, 19:21   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Hatchback on stilts? Pseudo SUV? How much longer are we going to use these terms over and over again? Please come up with some originality in statements! Done and dusted statements over and over again!
Truth stings sometimes ... Sorry

Quote:
While I agree that a D segment sedan like the Elantra is surely going to be much better in terms of highway road manners and the likes, the reality is that globally cross overs are the trend. And in India too,a Creta might fetch a better sale than an Elantra over the years..
For people who buy a car basis resale value or global trends - sure no doubt a crossover is a better option. But for enthusiasts - anyday a sedan (including the Elantra) over them.
Old 7th October 2019, 19:33   #57
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
But for enthusiasts - anyday a sedan (including the Elantra) over them.
I feel a Jeep Compass diesel is any day more fun to drive than the average Elantra (Let down by feel although suspension is almost sorted) or even the new Civic (let down by that CVT gearbox). Sure you'll get more body roll in the corners, but with a mature suspension setup and a well tuned steering wheel (Elantra again misses out) - it's fun as well.

If we were discussing a Jetta or Octavia here, I would definitely have agreed.

Anyways, hard to tell that a sedan will definitely be more fun to drive than a crossover. Nowadays it varies on a car to car basis.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th October 2019, 19:43   #58
BHPian

Quote:

While I agree that a D segment sedan like the Elantra is surely going to be much better in terms of highway road manners and the likes, the reality is that globally cross overs are the trend. And in India too,a Creta might fetch a better sale than an Elantra over the years. The D segment Sedan is dead, well, almost. Only one car keeping it alive and that is the Octavia which is the only one in my view that is worth taking the plunge in the D segment.
I guess the D segment sedan are stuck in a negative loop of low volumes-> lower localisation->higher price-> low volumes.

I am personally in the market for a 20 lac car. I intend to buy a C-SUV, but when i saw the Civic, I loved it, shame the top end ZX CVT variant is 5 lacs more than the top end of Hector/Harrier.

I guess if the prices were 3-4 lacs cheaper, D sedans could have done much higher volumes.
rkv_hunter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2019, 20:00   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by marutifan View Post
I actually see the GDI engine of the seltos as a huge negative. I wouldn't buy it if I have another option of a port fuel injected engine.
So you don't like the turbo whoosh?

Quote:
Since when did a 4400 mm long qualify for a hatchback on stilts, in India??

Last edited by Durango Dude : 7th October 2019 at 20:02.
Old 7th October 2019, 21:01   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Issue is that new Elantra just fell in no-man's-land.

2 months ago I had done a very short test drive of Elantra and compass in a span of 1 week gap. I liked the Elantra - TC was good in Elantra for the brisk overtaking inside city speeds (Anyways I am always biased towards petrol engines ), but after doing a test drive of Octavia, Elantra was completely blown out of the roof. Now by pricing the new Elantra in the same band of Octavia, there is no point of buying Elantra for any reason except for the better service expected from Hyundai.

But then coming to crossovers - even the most cheapest crossover/SUV can eat a sedan for comfort in our pothole filled cities. I rode the same highway (Trivandrum to Nagercoil) - one way in a Honda city and return in an Innova, and Innova was F-A-R comfortable over the medium sized continuous potholes for which Innova speed was not required to be reduced below 50-60kmph (Honda city took those potholes at 10-20 kmph).

So Elantra is not fast like its counterpart Octavia, neither can it compete against crossover for their superior undulation absorption.

Last edited by petrol_power : 7th October 2019 at 21:28.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks