Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2018, 16:32   #1
Senior - BHPian

Rumour: 7-seater Tata Harrier to be launched by end-2019

Mod Note: Our Harrier Report has been taken live at this link (Tata Harrier : Official Review). Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

According to a media report, Tata Motors is likely to introduce a 7-seater version of the Tata Harrier by the end of 2019. It is likely to be slightly longer than the 5-seater version and will have a third row of seats.

Rumour: 7-seater Tata Harrier to be launched by end-2019-harrier1.png

The 7-seater Harrier (codenamed: H7X) is likely to be based on a tweaked version of the OMEGA platform that underpins the 5-seater model. Reports suggest that the H7X could be offered with a Fiat-sourced 2.0-litre, 4-cylinder diesel engine with 170 BHP. It is the same unit that is offered on the Jeep Compass and could be paired with an automatic transmission. It is still unclear whether the H7X will get all-wheel drive.

The 5-seater Harrier is scheduled to be launched in January 2019. It will be powered by a 2.0-litre, 4-cylinder diesel that produces 138 BHP and 350 Nm of torque. The engine will be paired with a 6-speed manual gearbox.

Source: Overdrive

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by GTO : 14th May 2019 at 11:16. Reason: Link to review
TusharK is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 12th December 2018, 18:12   #2
R_R
BHPian

Re: Rumour: 7-seater Tata Harrier to be launched by end-2019

Hopefully, at least this will have auto + 4WD. If they can do this at about Rs. 25 L, ex-showroom, I think it will be a great product. I don't really need a 7-seater, but since Harrier disappointed on the 4WD, hoping at least the larger H7X will have it.
Old 12th December 2018, 18:13   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
According to a media report, Tata Motors is likely to introduce a 7-seater version of the Tata Harrier by the end of 2019. [/b]
Is this the new thread for Harrier 7 seater? Then I have a couple of articles which I posted on the Harrier thread:-

Quote:
Originally Posted by nainan View Post
source

Quote:
Tata Harrier-based H7X 7-seat SUV: New details revealed!

Tata Motors has revealed their next SUV, the Harrier completely. The all-new 5-seater SUV would be the first model from the brand that will be based on the Jaguar Land Rover platform. Tata will announce the price of the all-new Harrier in January 2019 and they have already started working on the 7-seat version of the SUV.

Tata H7x Render
Via IAB
A Tata official during the official media drive event of the Harrier revealed a few details of the 7-seat version of the Harrier that has been internally codenamed as the H7X. It is expected to be out in the market by the end of 2019 and has been spotted testing on the roads too.

As the Harrier would target the young buyers, the H7X would target the family car buyers who require a family car with more seats. The H7X would be based on the same OmegaArc platform as the Harrier but to accommodate the extra row with two seats, Tata would increase the overall length of the vehicle by 200mm. The increase in the body’s length would also affect the wheelbase of the vehicle. The Harrier is quite long in dimensions and it measures longer than the Mahindra XUV. The increase in 200mm would mean a massive vehicle on the road and roomier space for the last row passengers. The H7x would also get a much flatter and straighter roofline when compared to the Harrier. This would ensure that there is ample headroom space for the last row passengers.

The increase in length would also mean that Tata would provide ample space for the luggage. Most of the seven-seater vehicles lack boot space when all the three-rows are in standing position. For example, the Mahindra XUV 500 offers only 93-litres of boot space with all the three-rows up, which can barely hold any luggage. However, the H7X is expected to get a much better luggage space, which will eliminate the need of installing a roof carrier.

The Tata Harrier offers the 2.0-litre Multijet diesel engine from Fiat that generates a maximum of 140 PS and 350 Nm. Tata has not revealed the official fuel efficiency figures of the Harrier but Jeep Compass uses a retuned version same engine which generates a much higher power. The lower power will allow Tata to put an impressive fuel efficiency tag on the vehicle. The H7X is expected to get the same engine option when launched in the market, However, there are strong chances that Tata may tweak the engine to increase the power in the H7X due to its higher weight.

Tata would offer the 6-speed manual transmission with the H7X after the launch. However, there can be an automatic version of the H7X during the time of the launch. Tata has ruled out the AWD or 4X4 option from both the versions of the vehicle but it gets a Terrain Response System that allows it to climb on the snow and tricky surfaces like sand.

source

Quote:
TATA HARRIER SUV SEVEN-SEATER VERSION TO DEBUT IN 2019, ONE OF THREE MAJOR TATA LAUNCHES NEXT YEAR

OVERDRIVE has learnt from viable sources at Tata Motors that the company will launch the seven-seater version of the Tata Harrier SUV, thus far codenamed the H7X by the end of 2019.

This will one of three major launches for Tata Motors next year. The first will be the Harrier in January 2019 and the other being the production version of the 45X premium hatchback.

The production version of the H7X will be based on a reworked version of the OMEGA architecture from the Harrier. The platform will most likely be stretched out to accommodate the third row of seats, building further on the impressive sense of space in the five-seater Harrier.

Engine and transmission options will remain the same as the Harrier. The Harrier uses the FCA's Multijet II from the Jeep Compass in a lower 140PS state of tune, the seven-seater will use the 173PS version from the Indian-spec Compass.

An automatic version is also being readied for the Harrier for launch next year and a similar arrangement will be made for the seven-seater. The Harrier currently uses the Compass' six-speed manual but with Tata's own tuning and clutch actuator.
The Harrier will also be continuously updated over the course of its life-cycle with small additions being made to the drivetrain, features and de
source
Quote:
Tata H7X will look "sufficiently different" from the Harrier, says Vivek Srivatsa

The Tata Harrier was unveiled to the media this week before its launch in January 2019. The development team's focus is next on readying the H7X (Harrier-based 7-seater SUV) for the market.

Tata H7X IAB render
IAB's rendering of the production-spec H7X presents the expected change to the SUV's silhouette.
Also Read - Tata Harrier - 10 things you need to know about the new flagship SUV

Speaking to IAB on the sidelines of the Harrier media drive, Vivek B Srivatsa, Head of Marketing, Tata Motors spoke about the visual difference between the new model and its 7-seater sibling. He said:

We have officially announced that the H7X is the part of the portfolio and you will see it soon. It will have two additional seats and it will be sufficiently different from the Harrier. The silhouette will look completely different. They are two different products – a 5-seater sporty SUV is different from a 7-seater.

The Tata H7X will have the same wheelbase (2,741 mm) as the Harrier, and the larger overhang will accommodate an extra row of seats. The front- and the rear-fascia should receive enough changes to enable the 7-seater to enjoy a distinct identity. The new model will miss out on a sloping roof to give cabin space the first priority.

The Tata H7X will share the Optimal Modular Efficient Global Advanced (OMEGA ARC) platform. Moreover, the two models will feature the FCA-sourced 2.0 Multijet II oil-burner that has been rebranded 'Kryotec' by Tata Motors. That said, instead of the 140 hp version that can be found under the hood of the Harrier, the 7-seater sibling will receive a more potent version with at least 170 hp on the tap. Transmission options will include a 6-speed manual and Hyundai-sourced 6-speed automatic unit. Like the Harrier, don't expect an AWD system, but expect better safety equipment.

Tata Harrier Media Drive Jodhpur Side Profile
The Tata Harrier will launch next month in a price bracket of INR 16-20 lakh (on-road).
Also Read: Tata 45X (Tata X451) will be available with a mild-hybrid system

The Tata H7X will not be sold with the Harrier nameplate as the bigger car will have a unique brand strategy to take on the Toyota Fortuner.

Looks like its pretty much given that the twins will both not get an AWD and the timeline for BS6 engines and AT seems to be Q4 2019

Last edited by nainan : 12th December 2018 at 18:16.
nainan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th December 2018, 18:18   #4
BHPian

If H7X does indeed come with AT/AWD, it would put smiles on the faces of a lot of BHPians. Tata would do good to address these two major gripes that a lot of us have with Harrier.
Old 12th December 2018, 18:21   #5
BHPian

Question - why hasn't Tata plonked it's own varicor 400 engine in either of the two cars. Could've put a lower state of tune in Harrier, slightly more in H7X. The engine already has reasonable power, NVH could've been worked upon & most important of all, it would've costed much less.
superbad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2018, 18:27   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbad View Post
Question - why hasn't Tata plonked it's own varicor 400 engine in either of the two cars. Could've put a lower state of tune in Harrier, slightly more in H7X. The engine already has reasonable power, NVH could've been worked upon & most important of all, it would've costed much less.
This could mostly be due to the upcoming emission norms. 2. 2 Varicor doesn't meet the emission requirements I guess.
nkrishnap is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2018, 18:34   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Three reasons primarily:-
  1. Varicor is longitudinally mounted RWD and the Omega Rc platform supports transverse mounted FWD
  2. The VARICOR is above 2 litre and most diesel bans have been for more than 2L capacity vehicles
  3. The 2L FCA engine is already BSVI compliant and already has a 170 bhp version
nainan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th December 2018, 18:43   #8
BHPian

Quote:
I am not sure, I think it probably has to do with how engine is mounted on Harrier or the Omega platform might be designed for transversely mounted engines with FWD.
2.2 Varicor engine is always used as RWD with longitudinal mounting. Hence, they might have decided to use 2L Fiat engine.

Sorry I missed your reply. You have listed it well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nainan View Post
Three reasons primarily:-
  1. Varicor is longitudinally mounted RWD and the Omega Rc platform supports transverse mounted FWD
  2. The VARICOR is above 2 litre and most diesel bans have been for more than 2L capacity vehicles
  3. The 2L FCA engine is already BSVI compliant and already has a 170 bhp version

Last edited by arvindmanju : 12th December 2018 at 18:52.
arvindmanju is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th December 2018, 08:44   #9
Senior - BHPian

After revealing so much details about the vehicle, it is a big gamble by Tata to launch "Harrier" by end of 2019. The biggest competitor will be the Ertiga if Tata wants numbers. Maruti has sufficient time to plonk the 1.5L diesel engine into Ertiga and take the game away from its competitors.
Old 13th December 2018, 09:46   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I think it's a very smart move to have different 5 & 7 seater variants the way that Tata is planning to. You hit different market segments, customer requirements & price points. I have not seen anyone doing this optional 3rd-row variant thing well & hope that Tata pulls it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
The biggest competitor will be the Ertiga if Tata wants numbers.
The Ertiga is from a lower segment. People will buy the Ertiga as a 'people mover', but not a 'lifestyle vehicle' which the Harrier aspires to be. There will be no comparison between the Ertiga's numbers and those of the Harrier.
GTO is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 13th December 2018, 11:53   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I think it's a very smart move to have different 5 & 7 seater variants the way that Tata is planning to. You hit different market segments, customer requirements & price points. I have not seen anyone doing this optional 3rd-row variant thing well & hope that Tata pulls it off.
I believe many car manufacturers are doing this for Chinese market. Larger (7 seater) versions have an extended wheelbase and these are (for some strange reasons) not offered in other markets.
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2018, 13:02   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Ertiga is from a lower segment. People will buy the Ertiga as a 'people mover', but not a 'lifestyle vehicle' which the Harrier aspires to be. There will be no comparison between the Ertiga's numbers and those of the Harrier.
What if Maruti launches its rumoured 5 seater Vitara with a bigger diesel engine? I am only worried about the launch period, one year is too long in a competitive market.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2018, 13:42   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
I believe many car manufacturers are doing this for Chinese market. Larger (7 seater) versions have an extended wheelbase and these are (for some strange reasons) not offered in other markets.
I am more inclined to believe that this is a sufficiently different SUV made on the same platform rather than a simple addition of 2 seats due to the below:-
  1. All rumours/news reports from 2014 onwards have been about 2 SUVs
  2. The OMEGA Arc video showed 2 distinct SUVs with different profiles
  3. The Q501/502 terminology earlier also suggests sufficient differentiation

I am summing up the rumours on the differences below that the various sources have reported
  • Same wheelbase as the Harrier has been in a majority of the news with only 1-2 reports which mentioned a larger wheelbase
  • A length increase which has varied from 62 mm to 200 mm. While the 62 mm is only from rumours but has more references the 200 mm is from only one report and matches with the largest size the platform can accomodate ie 4800 mm which is almost Hexa sized
  • A higher roofline with a larger more rectangular window between C&D pillars is both reported and the Omega Arc video too has the same
  • Roof rails like the Safari but of a more curvy design from the Omega Arc Video
  • A more protruding version of the tail light cluster also from the Omega Arc video
  • Roof rails and a stepped roof from the Omega Arc video
  • A slightly different headlight cluster as the Omega Arc video shows a round shape on the outer upper corner suggesting an outer placement of the projector headlamps

I feel this will have a silhouette similar to the Safari and there have been reports/rumors of this being a Safari replacement. I just hope they retain the Safari badge and carry forward the legacy.

Quote:
What if Maruti launches its rumoured 5 seater Vitara with a bigger diesel engine? I am only worried about the launch period, one year is too long in a competitive market.
I think thats a valid concern but more than the Vitara its with Hyundai launching the 3 row Creta & Tucson, Mahindra launching a new Scorpio and XUV. However its better to have a well engineered product with the niggles sorted that launch in a hurry and let the niggles create a bad customer experience

Last edited by nainan : 13th December 2018 at 13:51.
nainan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2018, 13:46   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Here it is, Suzuki 7 seat SUV to debut at the Auto Expo 2020.

Link (Suzuki's next-gen Grand Vitara coming)
Old 13th December 2018, 14:26   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Not really. A 7-seater with a different name should do the trick. VAG has been doing this with their models as well (e.g.; Skoda Karoq/Kodiaq)

Quote:
I believe the current (international) Vitara and the Harrier attracts different buyer sensibilities. The Vitara is a soft-roader which goes more in line with the Creta whereas the Harrier looks more to take on the Compass.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks