Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2007, 13:46   #1
Team-BHP Support

Getz, PA to get made in India tag.. and a diesel engine

Hyundai is going gung ho again. After diesel Sonata its turn of the Getz.
Getz will be launched with a 1.1ltr petrol and a 1.3ltr diesel engine. Apart from this Getz is going to be exclusively made in India from March 2007. As of now hyundai makes Getz in Korea and chennai.
World over the diesel getz makes a healthy 88PS.
Hyundai Getz to get 'Made in India' tag-Business Live-News-The Economic Times
Here's a writeup on the Getz diesel in NZ : Diesel does it for little Korean - New Zealand motoring news on Stuff.co.nz

Apart from the Getz Hyundai is going to launch the PA platform, which will be made exclusively in India, and exported worldwide. This will sport a 1.1ltr petrol engine, and will be sold alongside the Santro.

My guess is that the pricing of the diesel swift will decide the pricing of the Getz crdi.
Old 15th January 2007, 13:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

That same 1.3 Crdi would be detuned for Santro (70bhp ?) or will it get the 1.1?

And hope these engines too has the VGT tech
Old 15th January 2007, 13:55   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
And hope these engines too has the VGT tech
88bhp 1.5 litre = Verna CRDi MINUS the VGT. With two stages of tune (VGT and non-VGT) Hyundai can use the same engine for different segments. 142 bhp 2.0 engine for Sonata with VGT and 122 bhp 2.0 engine for Elantra without VGT. Similarly I guess the Santro will get a 1.1 with VGT and the Cute Secretary Car will get the same engine without VGT.

Last edited by Steeroid : 15th January 2007 at 13:57.
Old 15th January 2007, 14:08   #4
Team-BHP Support

In NZ Getz gets a VGT engine, but power suggests its tune for FE since it gives about 25kmpl there.
Old 15th January 2007, 17:39   #5
Team-BHP Support

The GETZ CRDi will be out only in the second quarter of 2006...

It was stated clearlyin the compay statement when the Sonata Embera CRDi was launched... My friend in the company also said the same some days back...

Most probably, the engine wont get a turbo, to bring down costs... Already getz petrol is more expensive than swift petrol... Adding a VGT diesel would make it much more expensive than the Swift diesel... (Verna CRDi with no equipments costs more than a fully loaded Verna petrol)
Old 15th January 2007, 17:43   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Most probably, the engine wont get a turbo, to bring down costs...
If it is a CRDi, it has to have a turbo (forced induction, anyway).
Old 15th January 2007, 17:46   #7
Team-BHP Support

Steeroid, I think carzy driver got confused between VGT and turbo. It may be minus the VGT.

If hyundai brought the Verna minus VGT it would have sold even more cause then the cost would be much lesser.

So 1.3L CRDi minus VGT for getz and 1.1L also i'm guessing minus VGT for the Pa.

Must say that's a comprehensive diesel line up. They take on any segment.
Old 15th January 2007, 17:47   #8
Senior - BHPian

And in South Africa, they sell it with the same engine as the Verna. Motoring seems to have been blown away by the experience:

motoring.co.za - Hyundai blows the rest with turbodiesel Getz
Old 15th January 2007, 17:50   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Most probably, the engine wont get a turbo, to bring down costs...
I doubt they would do a non-turbo version since then it can't be a CRDi. They can detune it but won't launch onw without a Turbo considering that even the Indica now has a turbo version. With their pricing that won't be a wise decision since then their rivals will have a happy trip in their marketing campaigns regarding this.

Quote:
Already getz petrol is more expensive than swift petrol... Adding a VGT diesel would make it much more expensive than the Swift diesel... (Verna CRDi with no equipments costs more than a fully loaded Verna petrol)
That might not necessarily be due to the diesel costing susbstantially more to produce. I think it has more to do with Hyundai increasing their profits since they know they have a decent product & buyer's are willing to pay a premium for good diesel cars.
Old 15th January 2007, 17:58   #10
Team-BHP Support

I'm not sure about conversion from Km to bhp but I'm guessing it's the verna engine without the VGT.

Why can't they do the same thing? won't it be more cost effective to use an existing engine. Theres only 200cc difference between the verna engine and the 1.3L they are planning to get. It might actually be the same block.

Even without VGT this engine seems to be very good.

Man so many combinations for the hyundai engines. they can have 8 diesel engine configurations.

Edit: just read in the article that it's a VGT. how many bhp is 81Kw?

Last edited by Vid6639 : 15th January 2007 at 17:59.
Old 15th January 2007, 18:15   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Man so many combinations for the hyundai engines. they can have 8 diesel engine configurations.
See this thread for a slightly older compilation of their engine range - this range has since seen changes both in terms of number of engines (eg the 1.1, 1.1 VGT, 2.9 VGT) and the output figures of existing engines but this should give you an idea of how many combinations are possible.

Quote:
how many bhp is 81Kw?

Multiply into 1.3410218586562963

Last edited by Steeroid : 15th January 2007 at 18:18.
Old 15th January 2007, 18:46   #12
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai is also gearing itself for rolling out a diesel Getz in the second half of the year. "We are doing a feasibility study on Getz with a diesel engine at the moment. If we do bring the car then we would probably look at either 1.2 litre or 1.3 litre option in order to avail of excise benefits,'' Mr. Lheem said.
Source: The Hindu

Hyundai will launch two versions of Getz this year - one will be a 1. 4 litre diesel engine, while the other will be a 1.1 litre petrol engine. Both will be launched before the end of this year. In fact Hyundai will go big on diesel. It plans to manufacture 1.1 litre and 1.3 litre diesel engines to be used in small and compact cars.
Source: Moneycontrol.com

Hyundai’s new small car code-named PA, which will have a 1.1 litre petrol engine under its hood.
Source: Moneycontrol.com

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 15th January 2007 at 18:56.
Old 15th January 2007, 20:20   #13
Team-BHP Support

Steer, you can even get the 2.9VGT and plonk it into the safari. that oughta be fun.

So going by this we should see the following diesel engines.

1.1L CRDi non VGT --> Pa/Santro

1.3L CRDi maybe VGT --> Getz

1.5L CRDi VGT --> present in Verna

2.0L CRDi detuned VGT or non VGT --> New Elantra

2.0L CRDi VGT --> Present in Sonata Embera

This is going to make maruti, Skoda, Honda sweat.
Old 15th January 2007, 20:33   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Hyundai is efficiently capitalizing on its Indian ops. Will Indians have any palpable advantages due to this shift or its more company-oriented remains to be seen
Old 15th January 2007, 21:38   #15
Senior - BHPian

I don't think it's gonna sweat anything...

I see NHC / Fiestas (temp numbers) coming out of showrooms more than Vernas. Though i am not saying hyundai cars listed wont sell but they will not hit that hard Specially (Sonata + Getz + Elantra) keeping in mind the past history of hyundai. I specially love the current Elantra even the looks wise i find it better the new one getting launched.

Ford Fiesta till now is at same price and they are only offering a bit of discount that too on 2006 manufactured cars and not 2007.

Maybe in terms of power delivery it can sweat but when a normal person buys a diesel car he wants economy more than power and that what Ford, HONDA and Skoda are providing.

And getz hitting hard on Swift D sales. I can only dream of that happening.. If Maruti launches the Swift D within feb then there will be very less room for getz as Swift D will cover initial market and Getz do not have a good history as a Hatch compared to Palio and Swift.

Quote:
Steer, you can even get the 2.9VGT and plonk it into the safari. that oughta be fun.

So going by this we should see the following diesel engines.

1.1L CRDi non VGT --> Pa/Santro

1.3L CRDi maybe VGT --> Getz

1.5L CRDi VGT --> present in Verna

2.0L CRDi detuned VGT or non VGT --> New Elantra

2.0L CRDi VGT --> Present in Sonata Embera

This is going to make maruti, Skoda, Honda sweat.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks