Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2007, 12:09   #226
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakvrao View Post
What IMO you should also factor in is that when you sell the diesel you will recover atleast 50% of the extra that you have paid over the petrol model. Then your cost of ownership will be lower. Right? or is there a flaw in my argument?
No there is no flaw. To judge the viability of a project/investment you have to consider all relevant cash flows. The diesel(s) will win on this point alone. However, it is not the cost of ownership that will be lower, but your loss. Cost of ownership is another ball game from a financial, operational and mental perspective.
Old 17th August 2007, 13:40   #227
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys,

Slightly OT but a quick question: I keep coming across queries from members asking about waiting periods (especially for the Swift D) and have found that the waiting periods are grossly dissimilar with Bangaloreans getting the stick every time!

Can't a enthusiastic buyer simply buy the car in any other state in ( say South India) and drive it into Karnataka/Bangalore with a temporary registration? I believe temp plates are valid for a month and cost about 4k depending upon the relevant state rule and the class of the car.

Won't this take care of the insane 6 month waiting periods for Bangaloreans? Also, Karnataka doesn't stand to lose any revenue as buyers will still pay the LTT here. Of course, the OTHER state will be the loser because they will not get the LTT or whetever name they call it there.

Do I have a fundamental flaw in this argument?
Old 17th August 2007, 13:50   #228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan
You can drive a diesel car for over 500 kms without a stop and the engine performance will not be affected. Try doing that on a petrol car.
Have done 800kms (Chennai - Kerala) many times in atleast 3 petrol cars. What do you think will happen ?
Old 17th August 2007, 19:20   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What do you think will happen ?
IMHO the power will drop a little lower as the journey progresses, not sure i think. I have heard if you doing long drives you should have better spark plugs in your car.
Old 17th August 2007, 22:27   #230
Distinguished - BHPian

500Km, 300 miles, is nothing in any car, petrol or diesel, in many parts of the world.

People take holiday trips of many times that over Europe, and some Americans it is probably a trip to the shops!

But I thought we'd put that one to rest.
Old 31st March 2008, 18:19   #231
BHPian

Went through half of the thread. I couldn't find two things that I would want to point out.
1. Some companies offer car loan policy wherein the EMI or some/most part of it are exempted from tax. That greatly reduces the cost difference between petrol and diesel models.
2. Some companies give tax benefit on fuel bills. But most of the companies put an upper limit on this. If somebody is running within this limit, then the fuel cost difference between petrol and diesel are reduced compensating the difference in point-1.

Someone has mentioned about the heavy footed drivers. I'm one. I tend to throttle more on petrol to get the kind of torque I would get in diesel engines. That make a real hole in the pocket when it is petrol. That is now making me cautious and now almost a gentle driver in two months of driving petrol car.

My next car will still be a diesel most probably from Fiat.
Old 31st March 2008, 19:11   #232
Senior - BHPian

Very good decission bro ,but any specific reason for chosing a diesel from fiat,

ram
Old 31st March 2008, 19:16   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post
Went .....

My next car will still be a diesel most probably from Fiat.
hey don't utter the word Fiat here otherwise everyone be up in arms against you.

anyways I was joking but brandname Fiat evokes fireworks here in Team BHP
Old 17th April 2008, 19:10   #234
Senior - BHPian

Gentlemen

I have a query regarding the waiting period of Swift VDI in chennai. Initially when i booked the vehicle, i was informed of a waiting period of 45 days and now with the introduction of Dzire, the dealer is not in a position to give me any commitment on the waiting period what so ever. I have booked the vehicle on 1st of April, but now im very skeptical about receiving the vehicle any less than 3 months (too optimistic?). Is there anything that i can do from my end. I keep hearing stories that the production of swift VDI isnt the priority anymore and dzire's waiting period is more the concern for MUL. I dont know for sure how authentic this information is and hence thought of posting it here for advice/suggestions. Thanks for any help that you could provide me in this regards.
Mods - If this isnt the appropriate thread to be posting my query, please move it to the right place. Thanks.
Old 19th April 2008, 11:52   #235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Guys,

Slightly OT but a quick question: I keep coming across queries from members asking about waiting periods (especially for the Swift D) and have found that the waiting periods are grossly dissimilar with Bangaloreans getting the stick every time!

Can't a enthusiastic buyer simply buy the car in any other state in ( say South India) and drive it into Karnataka/Bangalore with a temporary registration? I believe temp plates are valid for a month and cost about 4k depending upon the relevant state rule and the class of the car.

Won't this take care of the insane 6 month waiting periods for Bangaloreans? Also, Karnataka doesn't stand to lose any revenue as buyers will still pay the LTT here. Of course, the OTHER state will be the loser because they will not get the LTT or whetever name they call it there.

Do I have a fundamental flaw in this argument?
AFAIK, we should pay the entry tax when bringing a temp registered vehicle into Karnataka. This entry tax runs to more than 10% of the vehicle price, which is almost equal to the road tax. So, a Swift LDi will cost about 6 lakhs when we register it in Bangalore if it was bought in another state.
Old 6th January 2009, 19:23   #236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Have done 800kms (Chennai - Kerala) many times in atleast 3 petrol cars. What do you think will happen ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
IMHO the power will drop a little lower as the journey progresses, not sure i think. I have heard if you doing long drives you should have better spark plugs in your car.
Digging up a old thread....
Just to add this...

"
Maruti's Alto has become the first Indian car to undergo a 24 hours endurance test and set 13 national records in the process.
The endurance test jointly conducted by Maruti Udyog and Overdrive Magazine covered 3082 kms in 24 hours at an average speed of 128.438 kmph.
The lead Alto's performance can be gauged from the fact that apart from being stationery for just 9 minutes and 57 seconds (spread over 12 pit stops), it motored non-stop and got quicker and quicker as it neared the end of this exercise.

"

--Sanjubaba

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks