Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2019, 22:37   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Weird feature distribution in the current Maruti-Suzuki car range

Thanks everyone for replying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
I think this is mainly due to the fact that the Brezza when launched had a competitor in the form of 'Ford' Ecosport and not 'Hyundai' Ecosport. I am pretty sure that the facelift will fix this though.
I hope it does. I'd further like to add that I am completely in favour of parts sharing which MSIL does. Take LED fog lamps for example. I'm sure it costs a bomb and IIRC, its currently imported from Japan. If Maruti decides to give it in more cars, it would eventually become cheaper due to economies of scale, and would also result in better parts availability in future. Added benefit is that even smaller cars can get these features, improving Maruti's feature list compared to the competition. Maruti has got a huge benefit of being a market leader with huge scale of operation. My point is they should use that to their benefit, and eventually its the customer who stands benefited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
OT - if you want features in your Maruti, seems like Baleno is the car to get then.
Which is exactly the point of this thread! What if someone wants a Sedan, or a Crossover and he/she is ready to pay more. Imagine a customer spending 10Lacs on S Cross and still getting lesser features than a 8L Baleno.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Rear fog lamps in Xylo but not in Scorpio, what would you say...they all act weird.
Omission of Rear fog lamps is one of the craziest thing which almost all manufacturers are doing. Believe it or not, Maruti has removed rear fog lamps from its entire lineup. Cars like 2nd gen Dzire, Ertiga etc got it initially, only to be removed once they were facelifted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Looking at the models discussed above, there could be only one probable cause.

Models like the Baleno, Ignis and S-cross are more like international models that are sold in Japan and Europe.

Whereas Ertiga, Brezza and Ciaz are more like developing market cars, especially Brezza which is an Indian specific model.

Reach adjustable steering wheel, puddle lamps are a given for developed markets, whereas rear A/c vents in small cars are more like an Asian market thing.
Going by that logic, shouldn't S Cross get puddle lamps? Its the most European Maruti you can buy today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz_rider View Post
I guess its all about price point. They (manufacturers) do their research, and have a fair idea how much customers are ready to pay for a particular product. Accordingly, they add or delete the features in the product.
Agreed, but how does that explain an 8 Lac Rupees Baleno deserving features, which a 10L S Cross doesn't? That's precisely what I wish to highlight. Shouldn't higher price translate to better feature list?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
What really, really gets my goat is the "rear defogger" which is such an important safety feature.

The base variants of many ~15 lakh rupee cars won't have them. However, the same manufacturer's 7-lakh rupee hatchback / sedan top variant offers that. In such a safety conscious world, how can you leave a 500-rupee rear defogger for the top variant only?
It won't even cost 500 rupees to a MASS Market manufacturer, Sir. I can never justify saving on such important features. Hope Maruti and other manufacturers see this thread and stop being foolish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi View Post
While other car manufacturers go with family face, Maruti goes with family 'power window switches' .
Guess you completely lost the gist of this thread's discussion. This isn't about ranting what's already there. It's about what's missing.

Quote:
It would have been better if they differentiate the different segments with different power window switches.
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
For me, the only functional upgrade would be backlit switches and beyond that, I can't imagine differentiating across segments.
Precisely. A backlit switch would definitely serve a purpose. Other than that, there is no need of differentiating segments with differently shaped power window switches. Different segments can be differentiated on a million other factors, engine, drive-lines etc. In fact, this sharing is a nice thing to do if economies of scale and better availability of spares is concerned. Suppose a 2005 Swift owner needs replacement of those switches, he can easily get them even today without being a liability for anyone. If parts sharing can give better value, then why not!

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st May 2019, 08:06   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Beyond this, I dont understand why this aspect is being harped about all over the place. Do you want bigger switches for bigger cars? Or more chrome for bigger cars?
Would be nicer to have a premium touch and feel to the switch gear. An all window auto up/down system could be the minimum basic they offer in their higher priced cars. At the moment, they only provide a driver window auto up/down.

The problem here is that Maruti takes the same switch gear from the parts bin across their entire offering segment from say 3-4 lakhs to 15-16L. Closely followed by their steering button, the fog lamp switches, head light levelling adjustment, etc.

I think they need to figure out how to differentiate it themselves.
moralfibre is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st May 2019, 09:28   #33
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
The problem here is that Maruti takes the same switch gear from the parts bin across their entire offering segment from say 3-4 lakhs to 15-16L. Closely followed by their steering button, the fog lamp switches, head light levelling adjustment, etc.

I think they need to figure out how to differentiate it themselves.
Wow! You read my mind. I missed the word ‘quality’ in my previous comment. The current power window switches feel thin while operating. A better quality (read thick) power window switch would be a welcome move. Also I would love to see thick window glasses, and a slightly thicker horn pad. Another good thing that I would like to see across manufacturers is a proper tyre size starting from lower variants.

Note: I have a WagonR and Swift at home, so I am not a Maruti hater.

Last edited by pavi : 21st May 2019 at 09:29.
pavi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2019, 09:29   #34

As I understand, OP is providing evidence that there seems to be a negative correlation between price and features of MSIL cars and that it is inexplicable/surprising. I do agree. I know I am not providing any evidence to back myself but probably there is a positive correlation between the launch recency and the feature list?

S-Cross - 2013 | refreshed in 2018
Baleno - 2015 | refreshed in 2018
Ignis - 2017
Swift/Dzire (considering the major refresh as a fresh launch) - 2018/17

S - Cross, Ciaz, have not undergone major refresh/upgrade like the Swift/Dzire and Baleno? I do believe that a few years down the line, these cars (S-cross may be discontinued) will get a fair amount of gizmos and features in these as well. Arguably, it may be more palatable to incorporate the latest tech into a car when you are re-building quite a bit (from a cost standpoint)
ascension is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2019, 11:35   #35
BHPian

This is not just seen with Maruti, but all manufacturers follow the same thinking. Its all based on what the competition has to offer

For example,
1.Toyota sells Yaris with 7 airbags as standard but a more expensive has only 2 airbags as standard, as there is no competition for the Innova

2.Honda sells Amaze with a Diesel CVT as its competition the Dzire and Ameo also offer automatic diesels, but the more premium Jazz doesn't get one as its competition doesn't have diesel automatics, same is the case with VW Polo and Ameo

3. The cheaper i20 got DRLs before Creta, as the Baleno offered it but Creta's competition did not.

4. The cheaper Hyundai Verna gets an SX(O) variant for its diesel automatic but not the Creta (Creta doesn't have a competitor for diesel automatic)

These are some examples that come to my mind.

In the end, more the competition, more the consumer wins.

I do hope Kia, Citroen, VW-Skoda 2.0, etc. bring out better modern cars to keep a check on these mass market brands.
Aditya_Bhp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2019, 11:57   #36
BANNED

This is being done by this company after carefully observing competition's feature-spread to counter their value as being perceived to be better.

The company wants to make it difficult for the prospective customers to make a direct comparison with the other brands' similar products. If all the features are made evenly available in the similar trims across all models then it will be possible for a car buyer to assess the perceived value.

If they throw some features in to the seemingly lower priced variants then the customer will be drawn in to the showroom. From there, they will start adding features in a staggered manner that the jacked-up price is felt to be justified by those features which are either unnecessary but add to count or necessary but are at a 'reasonable' premium in seemingly affordable steps.

Even among car enthusiasts, we rarely see people taking a look at all other brands' trims available at the same price range, especially when being forced shell out extra-cash at the last instant to pick up a few other features.
COMMUTER is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2019, 13:34   #37
BHPian

Thanks for the thread Sashi.
This clearly indicates that Maruti design engineers are working in isolation and not trying to adopt features across the cars.
Maruti need to understand that this adoption not only leads to customer satisfaction but also lesser cost because of volumes.
Hope Maruti goes through the thread and takes some corrective action.
Old 23rd May 2019, 07:17   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhatia.D17 View Post
Auto Folding Wing Mirrors available in the Baleno but not present in any other model.

Was driving my cousin's Brezza today and had to go back, switch on the car to fold the mirrors.
At least electric folding orvm with indicator is available from Delta / V Variants of Baleno/Swift/Dzire, but Brezza gets it only on the top of the line z+ variant.
Old 23rd May 2019, 16:42   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshkishore View Post
At least electric folding orvm with indicator is available from Delta / V Variants of Baleno/Swift/Dzire, but Brezza gets it only on the top of the line z+ variant.
Even this feature is inconsistent across the range.
-Swift, Dzire, Ignis and Ciaz get it only from the Z/Zeta variants
-S-Cross, Baleno, Ertiga get it from V/Delta variant onwards.
Another point:
-The Ciaz Zeta loses part-leather upholstery (now full-cloth upholstery only).

I wonder what will happen if we launch a Hyundai thread!

Last edited by artemis_fowl : 23rd May 2019 at 16:44.
Old 25th May 2019, 15:03   #40
Senior - BHPian

@Leoshashi
Super post bro!! Hope you are doing well.

Baleno: It is a car "jisko bhagwaan(read MSIL) ne fursat se banaya hain!!
This is an all feature car. I have recently purchased a Baleno DDiS Alpha and it has all the creaturely comforts and bells and whistles required.

UV CUt Glass missing in more expensive Ciaz and S Cross.
Color MID missing in S Cross and Ciaz(DDiS)
Tilt & Reach. Present Sir
Rear Wash and Wipe. Present from the Delta Variant
Auto IRVM- Missing in the bigger legends-Ciaz & S Cross. Present in Baleno

Other Features which have already been discussed.

Why this Positive Discrimination:
Baleno( A Flash of lightning) is an all important car for MSIL. It not only ensures the sustainability of the Nexa Channel but also brings in the fat moolah.

1) It was important for MSIL to launch a full feature car as it stepped into an unknown territory- The Premium Hatch already dominated by a flawed but known foe- Hyundai. Flawed because Hyundai's feature mix is also a big suspect. Why would someone otherwise skimp on a basis necessity like rear wash & wipe to the top version(that too the option pack)??

2) Sustainability of NEXA
Nexa had the S Cross when Baleno flashed. They needed the sales volumes to drive this new channel. Kill the competition with a feature rich product feature backed by the trust of Maruti. Plonk in a tried and tested fuel efficient DDiS or the peppy 1.2 and its a winner all the way.
The tin can north withstanding.

3) International Product

This is a Global product. That way, the feature rich car can be exported as is.

This is a market domination strategy that has paid full dividends. Baleno, though retained through the Nexa(lower reach as compared to MSIL) is in the top three highest selling cars in the country. This is also the car that has achieved a sales milestone of 5 lac + in the shortest possible span of 38 months.
MSIL has played their trump card very cleverly. the incremental cost of the features vs the returns would have been humongous.

Why the others are left out
Lets look at the others in the lineup

Dzire- Competition from Xcent(mainly Fleet Preference), Aspire(Ford and not that high recall or aspiration), Ameo(Less Said the Better), Tata Tigor(Uninspiring Engine Options)

Well. In view of the above, Dzire makes a run. It sells, and sells very very big!! MSIL is happy. Erratic feature list be damned. The car will rule and it does. very big time.

CIAZ- Competition from Verna and City. Lesser mortals- Vento, Rapid and the non existent Linea.

With the facelift Verna, Ciaz sure s now feeling the pinch. Over time, expect MSIL to silently revamp the feature list.

S Cross
No competition as such till Creta came and tore into the charts.
The update has seen an increased feature list. Colour MID and UV cut glass still features as prominent misses.

Brezza-

It never seemed a great product. The biggest personal put off was the ancient km long aerial(antenna). The interiors also looked drab and claustropobic. But then, it annihilated the competition.
Why should MSIL bother then.

The products where the feature list is iffy is due to MSILs clear vision that they have winners on hand. Baleno was a vertical starter and hence has been dealt with extreme TLC.
arnabchak is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 14:20   #41
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Prologue: When Suzuki started introducing its global products in India, beginning with the Swift in 2005, we saw a progressive distribution of features as we moved up the chain. For example, the cheaper Ritz lacked an Automatic Climate Control, but all models after that got. Also this meant that there was no omission of feature if say you upgraded from a Swift to SX4.

Of late, MSIL has picked up a very bad trait, which I'll try to highlight in this thread.
This article by the Economic Times was clearly inspired by your thoughts .

It was shared last week on our facebook page, which is where it might have caught ET's attention.
GTO is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 15:55   #42
BHPian

This is not done. They should have given credit to Shashi or atleast to team-bhp.

Last edited by Blow Horn Ok : 25th June 2019 at 15:58.
Blow Horn Ok is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 20:40   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

It was shared last week on our facebook page, which is where it might have caught ET's attention.

There is a famous quote in Hindi: "Nakal ke liye bhi Akal chahiye". You need brains even for copying! I'm surprised they have managed to do factual errors even while compiling from my post.

Name:  1.PNG
Views: 1383
Size:  6.4 KB

Truth: Ciaz does get a Color MID. I had mentioned about Brezza and S Cross!

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 1388
Size:  6.3 KB

Truth: As per them, Ciaz doesn't get LED Projector lamps! I had mentioned about Ertiga and Brezza.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
This is not done. They should have given credit to Shashi or atleast to team-bhp.
Honestly, I'm not disappointed for not getting any personal credit. Oscar Wilde once said, "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery that mediocrity can pay to greatness. But they should have given due credits to the Forum they had taken inspiration from!
Leoshashi is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 12th November 2019, 19:33   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Another Media house runs this story- https://www.amarujala.com/photo-gall...-vitara-brezza

PS: Old link but came to my notice recently.

Last edited by Leoshashi : 12th November 2019 at 19:35.
Leoshashi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2019, 10:25   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Alto K10 VXI AMT --- Gets an enjoyable tachometer
WagonR K12 VXI AMT --- Does NOT get a tachometer

No matter how I try, not able to even imagine the rationale for it.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks