Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2019, 15:37   #1
Senior - BHPian

Rumour: Vitara Brezza facelift to get sunroof & side airbags

Thanks to the Team-BHP fan (he prefers to remain anonymous) who sent this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this page!

Maruti Suzuki is considering adding sunroof and side airbags to the Vitara Brezza facelift. Notice Inviting Tender (NIT) has been floated to vendors for multiple airbags and sunroofs. Three of the Brezza's prime competitors - the Hyundai Venue, Ford EcoSport and the Mahindra XUV 300, come equipped with them.

An earlier report indicated that the facelift model could come with the in-house developed 1.5-litre diesel unit that produces 94 BHP @ 4,000 rpm and 225 Nm of torque @ 1,500-2,500 rpm and the 1.5-litre, 4-cylinder petrol from the Ciaz which develops 103 BHP @ 6,000 rpm and 138 Nm @ 4,400 rpm. At present, the Vitara Brezza is available with a 1.3-litre, 4-cylinder diesel engine that produces 89 BHP @ 4,000 rpm and a torque of 200 Nm @ 1,750 rpm. Transmission options include a 5-speed manual and 5-speed AMT.

Rumour: Vitara Brezza facelift to get sunroof & side airbags-marutivitarabrezza06.jpg

Link to the Team-BHP News
blackwasp is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 24th June 2019, 15:49   #2
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rumour: Vitara Brezza facelift to get sunroof & side airbags

This would be a first for Maruti in India. Both the 6 airbags and the sunroof. While it should have been either the Ciaz or the S-Cross to receive it first, the Brezza is a very important car in the Maruti line-up and it does make sense that they go all out against the competition, especially in the light of the launch of the Hyundai Venue.

The Brezza is supposed to be the safest Maruti in India and with the addition of side airbags( I am assuming that it will be for the rear as well), it might become the 2nd car in the segment to score a 5 star global NCAP rating.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 24th June 2019 at 21:21. Reason: airbags
AYP is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th June 2019, 16:00   #3
Senior - BHPian

I can see this happening for not just the Brezza but more models in future, but I dont think it'll be for the current car but the all-new model that will come afte 2020 and will be shared with Toyota.
fx45 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2019, 16:08   #4
BHPian

It better be that way, Suzuki is not sold much globally. India is their biggest market and contributes significantly to their revenue and profits. If not India where else will they get aggressive.

If I remember right, they have exited USA and China market and even in home market Japan, they are the smaller player. So yes India is their cash cow.
Absolutely not good for us consumers.
aniyo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2019, 16:23   #5
BHPian

Thanks for sharing.

MSIL usually launches a facelift in 3 to 4 years time frame. It has been 3 years since Brezza was launched and guess a facelift is due in coming months.

Stiff competition: While Venue, Eco-sport, Nexon and XUV-300, all have unique value proposition the Brezza excels at none. The benchmark set is very high and hope the facelift catches up most of it.

If sunroof, side airbags and bigger engines are on cards, this would be a major facelift. Since I drive a Brezza, some of my wish list other than the already said changes are
1. improvement in NVH levels
2. improvement in doors design: the last door doesn't shut easily because of vacuum. The way air leaves cabin while shutting a door is not well designed as a result the last door always needs excessive force.
3. Interior quality: Feels cheap, I guess no need to elaborate further.
4. Aesthetically the exhaust pipe is not tidy. Rear bumper is a half baked up-skirt design exposing the exhaust pipe like a sore thumb. It is kind of tilted too.
Thermodynamics is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 24th June 2019, 18:34   #6
BHPian

It's bit confusing on the Diesel Engine. Does this post suggests that 1.5 DDiS will be upgraded to meet BS VI norms? There was an announcement that Diesel cars will be stopped from April 2020.

Why would they launch an upgrade for Brezza so soon if they're not intending to continue with Diesel Upgrade for BS VI and no news about a Gasoline Engine option. Whereas, Hyundai & Mahindra are already on to Turbo-charged Gasoline Direct Injection (similar to Ford EcoBoost) . As few others pointed in this forum, Suzuki, is rather on back-foot compared to others. Toyota is not having a great Gasoline Direct Injection Engine. They never kept pace with European way of compact engines. Most of their engines are still with old architectures when it comes to fundamental engine mechanics such as Valvetrain, cranktrain..

It'll be interesting to see what future holds for Brezza.
Pam81 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2019, 19:59   #7
Senior - BHPian

Seeing its rivals Hyundai, Mahindra, Tata and even Honda not giving up on diesels, I have a feeling Maruti will do what it takes to upgrade the new 1.5 diesel to BS6 norms or find some other manufacturer to help them out with diesel engine just like the 1.3 MultiJet.

Diesel cars even post BSVI will still be a chunk of Maruti's sales and it would be a foolish move to exit that category and replace it with CNG driven cars.
fx45 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2019, 20:23   #8
BHPian

Tata Nexon safety rating is pushing competition to match the game.
Thilak29 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th June 2019, 21:05   #9
BHPian

Brezza already has a 4 star GNCAP rating and they wouldn't be too worried on that front. What is important for Maruti is to get the petrol version of the Brezza. A fine balancing act between driveability and economy which is what the customers expect from Maruti. Other bells and whistles will be there I guess in the update.
NFS2024 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2019, 23:31   #10
BHPian

Since Brezza is going to be the next cross badged one from Toyota, does the addition of features have anything to do with Toyota's say? Something like a pricier Brezza from Toyota with these features acting as differentiation from Maruti Brezza?

Last edited by GTO : 25th June 2019 at 08:15. Reason: typo
headbanger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2019, 23:40   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodynamics View Post
4. Aesthetically the exhaust pipe is not tidy. Rear bumper is a half baked up-skirt design exposing the exhaust pipe like a sore thumb. It is kind of tilted too.
Totally agree on this one. While travelling behind a Brezza, I always felt I am following an auto rickshaw when ever I have a look at the exhaust pipe section. It felt ultra cheap and is a crudely executed design.
pavi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 00:08   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Maruti Suzuki is considering adding sunroof and side airbags to the Vitara Brezza facelift.
It looks like Maruti has finally decided to press A pedal in giving more features and safety . Decline in Brezza sales should be the reason.

It would be interesting to watch if Maruti decides not to give these updates in their premium "Nexa" cars like S-Cross and Ciaz.
Dr.Naren is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 03:48   #13
Senior - BHPian

I think it is high time Baleno, Ciaz, Vitara Brezza and S-Cross at least get the option at 6 airbags in the highest trim. There are people who value safety and this can be a good marketing tool for Maruti.

God bless the competition.
landcruiser123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 05:58   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Glad to know that Maruti is finally waking up and listening to the customer demands. God Bless the Competition.

In addition to the sunroof and multiple airbags, I hope Maruti does something about the below average interiors. While the design itself is fine, the choice of materials is horrendous.

Just realized, every single sub 4m SUV offers Sunroof in some form or the other. While its factory installed in WRV, Ecosport, XUV3OO and Venue, Nexon offers it as a dealer installed accessory(Not recommended though).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
It would be interesting to watch if Maruti decides not to give these updates in their premium "Nexa" cars like S-Cross and Ciaz.
I hope they extend this to the NEXA cars, but given Maruti's weird feature distribution in recent times, I won't be surprised if they limit this to only the Brezza. Related Thread (Weird feature distribution in the current Maruti-Suzuki car range)

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
I think it is high time Baleno, Ciaz, Vitara Brezza and S-Cross at least get the option at 6 airbags in the highest trim. There are people who value safety and this can be a good marketing tool for Maruti.

God bless the competition.
True.
Leoshashi is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 08:07   #15
BHPian

Personally, having 6 airbags in the Car makes much more sense than a Sun-roof. It would be really a good move by Maruti if they launch the new/face-lift Vitara Brezza with 6 Airbags and a proper Automatic transmission (not the AMT).
adi.mariner is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks