Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2019, 12:24   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: June 2019 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Glanza appears to be a master stroke from Toyota. Consistently getting numbers. I am not sure how to look at this from the point of view of Maruti Investors. Is the money generated from Glanza sales going to MSL investors ? Or to Suzuki ? I read smewhere that Baleno is manufactured in Suzuki plants and sold to both Maruti and Toyota . Is there anyone knowledgable enough to confirm this ?

What Hyundai has achieved with Venue is commendable. They proved again , they are the masters of pricing and product placement. Credit must be given to M&M also for creating a winner in XUV300.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 9th July 2019 at 12:26.
Old 9th July 2019, 12:30   #17
Senior - BHPian

Kona 25 units sold? Is it already on sale?
Old 9th July 2019, 12:44   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
Numbers reported are dispatches from factory to dealers and not customer sales.

Last edited by GTO : 10th July 2019 at 08:35. Reason: typo
KK_HakunaMatata is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2019, 12:46   #19
BHPian

Quote:

Launch announcement is supposed to happen today. So its most definitely is not on sale. Even the variant of Kona Electric is not completely confirmed.And I dont think those dealer bookings should be counted.
Old 9th July 2019, 12:55   #20
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Kona has been launched today at INR 25.30 L so these initial 25 units must be demo/display vehicles dispatched to dealers.
//M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2019, 12:56   #21
BHPian

Quote:
The numbers reported here are for factory dispatches for all manufacturers. Not the numbers sold to customers. The 25 Konas maybe for display/test drive/test purposes.
Old 9th July 2019, 12:59   #22
Senior - BHPian

Damn!!! The market is bleeding but it was expected. What with the insane pricing? I started with a budget of 8L to get a premium AT hatch earlier this year and ended up shelling out 10.5L+ for the same. Mind you not just Jazz, even i20 and Baleno ATs retail at 11L+ OTR in bangalore. That used to be Sedan(proper ones, not sub4m) segment prices only a few years back.

I hope this brings in some rationalization & prices eventually get corrected a bit, unlike real-estate sector where the lobby is so strong that although prices didn't go up substantially but they didn't reduce it either to sell the unsold inventory(bangalore market).

Apart from prices, even the traffic situation acts as a deterrent for tier 1 city folks. Quite a few of my friends from Mumbai & Bangalore who didn't learn driving earlier are now not even interested in learning and buying a car. Money is not a problem for most working couples and hence, ola/uber & now QuickRide has made commuting easier for them. At max they buy a scooter for those local errands and are happy to use QuickRide for everyday office commute & ola/uber for everything else.

Last edited by SoumenD : 9th July 2019 at 13:09.
SoumenD is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th July 2019, 13:06   #23
AYP
Senior - BHPian

What is HM-Mitsubishi doing? I mean literally, what are they doing in India?
AYP is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th July 2019, 14:32   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
What is HM-Mitsubishi doing? I mean literally, what are they doing in India?
I believe they are selling some cars but it is not being reported here due to some reason. Petrol vs Diesel sales thread has mentioned numbers for Pajero and Outlander.
gupta_chd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2019, 15:21   #25
BHPian

Really feel bad for Nexon in 4th position. Its a good car but mis-managed, although still decent VFM.
What surprises me is despite the small boot of XUV300 and being a new Mahindra, people are lapping it up. Pretty sure XUV300 is the only car for these buyers because if this was a second car, people would have rather bought the I20 or any other automatic.

CSUV is here to stay and with time, this segment will offer more variants to keep the interest alive. I bet we will get an AWD and electric (Hybrid mostly) version of the CSUV in 2-3 years time frame and the sedans will stagnate at 2-3K sales/month.

For me, I was clear I did not want a long car. It had to be as small as possible. My wife's friend picked up the Venue Auto in Denim Blue last week and couple of my friends's have gone the CSUV route as well.

Last edited by GTO : 10th July 2019 at 08:38. Reason: Poor language & grammar. Please type your posts properly
aniyo is offline   Received Infraction
Old 9th July 2019, 15:47   #26
BHPian

Where are MG numbers? They have dispatched vehicles to dealers but not reported to SIAM?
Old 9th July 2019, 16:58   #27
BHPian

The world cup marketing blitz does not seem to be helping that much for Nissan Kicks with only a small increase from May. But I guess that is to be expected with the product already in failure category.
Old 9th July 2019, 18:28   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Aditya for the JUNE sales numbers.

Here are some inferences from the data:

The Passenger Vehicle sales continue its spiral its downward trend. Auto manufactures curb sending cars to dealers as inventory pile–up is all time high. The Passenger Vehicle sales saw a double dip of -17.7% in June’19 (Y-O-Y). Car sales slip in its 8th consecutive with no positive signs seen in the horizon.

- Maruti Suzuki reports a negative growth of 17.2% which in turn reflects the mood of the entire auto industry. Nexa sales dip at 28% while the Area sees a 14% drop(Y-OY). Manages to keep a 50.1% of Market share. Launches are expected in late August, so we can expect the trend to continue in the next two months too.

- Hyundai too sees a negative trend even with the new launch, but de-growth is in single digit but the biggest one it increases its market share and its market share growth is more than that of Maruti Suzuki’s.

- Mahindra consolidates itself as the 3rd contender in the sales chart, and is the only player to have recorded a positive growth. XUV3OO has performed well and has already shipped 25,000 units from the plant.

- Toyota outsmarts Honda – Glanza proves to be a successful attempt with least cost investment. Fortuner and Innova does its share effect on the monthly figures.

- Tata seem to be struggling and likely to see a tougher competition in its established segments.

- Nissan –Datsun receives a shocker of – 56% de-growth with its ageing Terrano beating the Kicks in sale dispatches

- FCA now ranks at the lowest end of the chart and has the lowest figures in Market share.
Jeep needs to be worried as Compass is now a 3 digit affair!
- Volkswagen a Skoda stands still as its market share is near neutral, but can they survive this re-launch game till 2021?

Market Share:

- Maruti Suzuki still sells 1 in every 2 cars sold, but a dropping trend is seen now. Maruti Suzuki will try to defend this share and time will paint the real picture. Products to look forward to will be Petrol Variant of Vitara Brezza , and its Mini Cross over – S- Presso. Will Ertiga Cross help in stopping the dwindling numbers at NEXA?

- Maruti Suzuki’s loss in market share reflects in Hyundai’s increase in Market share. Though the company has a negative growth, Venue has helped Hyundai in containing the negative growth. Hyundai Kona launch to be seen only as a branding exercise.

- Nissan, Renault and FCA has to worry as the negative trend is spiraling and with no products visible, not sure how they will contain this trend.
Reanualt’s Duster re-launch is a farce , will it join the Kicks and Captur as flops?

Segment Leaders:

Entry Level: Maruti Suzuki’s Alto claws back to be the best seller for June and a gains market share at the expense of all its competition. Datsun is the worst affected in this lot.
June 2019 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-1.jpg

Compact Hatchback: SWIFT and WagonR are leading this segment. All other players seem irrelevant as the numbers are half compared to the top 2 in the segment.
June 2019 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-2.jpg

Premium Hatchback: By default it is the Baleno. Glanza now holds the 3rd spot with Hyundai’s i20 far behind the Baleno.
June 2019 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-3-2.jpg

Compact SUV: Hyundai’s Venue touted as the segment killer almost reaches there. But for now Vitara Brezza is the leader.
Mahindra’s XUV300 and Tata Nexon holds on to its numbers but Ford’s EcoSport is losing its customer base rapidly.
June 2019 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-7.jpg

Compact sedan: Repeat story continues every month as Maruti Suzuki’s Dzire revives this segment and sells consistently above 14k + units.
Honda Amaze is the only formidable competition but a very distant one. Other than the top 2, all the others seem to face the brunt as customers look to c/suv’s.
June 2019 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-4.jpg

Executive Sedan: The see- sawing between City and Ciaz continues and this month City becomes the leader. The segment is losing its sheen and will Ciaz will be shared with Toyota even in the lackluster times will remain to be seen. Will Yaris be withdrawn as it sees a all-time low of 94 %(Y-O-Y)
June 2019 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-5.jpg

Premium/Luxury Sedan: Honda Civic becomes the undisputed leader followed closely by Skoda Octavia. While in the Luxury segment Skoda Superb is the leader.
June 2019 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-0.jpg
June 2019 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-6.jpg

Mid Size SUV: Undisputed leader in Creta hold its fort. A segment eyed by almost all manufactures and will see the true effect of Seltos and Hector in the coming months.
June 2019 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-8.jpg

MPV: Maruti Suzuki Ertiga takes this segment to new heights. This segment grows at 3% which is the second best to the CUV segment.
Marazzo is on a down trend the day the new Ertiga was launched, even Toyota’s Innova shows a negative growth.
June 2019 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-9.jpg

Van: Omni phased out with Eeco and increases its numbers with practically no competition around.
June 2019 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-10.jpg

Source Ref. : Auto Punditz
volkman10 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 9th July 2019, 21:13   #29
BHPian

I know I will sound judgmental but it's not about people suddenly becoming sensible about buying, or roads being jam-packed or high prices of cars etc. The volumes in Auto industry are driven by rural sales. And rural sales have fallen drastically no matter which OEM you talk too. Urban sales can take you only so far but volume drivers like TATA and Suzuki are driven by rural sales. Hyundai isn't affected to that extent due to their strong city presence. There just isn't disposable income available in rural areas due to rural distress.

Last edited by GTO : 10th July 2019 at 08:40. Reason: typos
Carma2017 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th July 2019, 21:41   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Damn!!! The market is bleeding but it was expected. What with the insane pricing? I started with a budget of 8L to get a premium AT hatch earlier this year and ended up shelling out 10.5L+ for the same. Mind you not just Jazz, even i20 and Baleno ATs retail at 11L+ OTR in bangalore. That used to be Sedan(proper ones, not sub4m) segment prices only a few years back.

I hope this brings in some rationalization & prices eventually get corrected a bit, unlike real-estate sector where the lobby is so strong that although prices didn't go up substantially but they didn't reduce it either to sell the unsold inventory(bangalore market).
This is probably the positive side from this slump. It hopefully rationalizes the market and we see cars that are reasonably priced vs the atrocious pricing by some manufacturers. The discounts on most cars actually make them more reasonable to buy than before. Plus dealers and salesmen are finally doing a better job on following up.

Ofcourse the Govt. is not interested in helping the manufacturers sell more petrol and diesel cars and this works for them as the EV generation is around the corner.

Interesting times ahead and a lot of challenges for the Auto manufacturers.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 9th July 2019 at 22:35.
Vid6639 is offline   (10) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed