Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2019, 13:54   #46
BHPian

Re: June 2019 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

My observations;

Ford
• Ecosport, as a product will not die for the loyalty it has created but ford is genuinely trying hard to kill it as much as possible.
• Really sad to see the state of competent Figo twins & painful to see Freestyle numbers.

Honda
• Looks like Amaze has settled around 5-6 k & will continue to do so
• Civic might also settle in 250-350 range

Hyundai
• Have a thorough grip of Indian consumer mindset & is evident with all their latest launches (barring Santro)
• Appears that Venue has also hit the elder sibling Creta to certain extent, coming months will give clearer picture
• Xcent also showing a consistent upward trend

Mahindra
• XUV 300 going strong & looks like a promising product; it has clearly hit others competing in the CSUV category
• Marazzo is underperforming & was really hit hard below the belt by new Ertiga.

Nissan & Sons
• Nothing to write home about, the baby Kwid is the “sharmaji ka beta” in the entire family helped a little bit by granddad Duster, who again got ill-fitting new clothes.

VW & sons
• Hardly anything new to report, except, the spike in Tiguan numbers; What happened? Was there a bundle discount like buy 2 Ameo get 30% off on Tiguan or buy 3 Vento & get 20% off on Tiguan??

Tata
• Though proven VFM products are thriving but are clearly hit by tornado from multiple coasts.
• Harrier hit by MG &, Nexon hit by XUV300 & Venue, fortunately Tiago twins picked up pace again.

Last edited by yogeshsom29 : 10th July 2019 at 14:01. Reason: Spelling errors
yogeshsom29 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2019, 14:14   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooltronics View Post

What surprises me is the Bangalore market, after being on hunt for sub 4 meter SUV for a family member, it looks like everything gets sold here - Nexon has a wait list of 6 to 8 weeks whereas rest of India it is available on the spot. An email to TATA also confirmed the same.
SA are not eager to pursue and close the deal as there is a potential buyer already waiting. Discounts ? you must be kidding
Have experienced the same. When I bought my Nexon 3 months back I had to work with 3 different dealers and haggled for a week to get a discount of some 20K. Also got the discount on Insurance. Nothing more than that.

Seems bad infra in Bangalore is by design
aniyo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2019, 14:27   #48
BHPian

For a very long time car manufacturers and dealers have taken customers for granted. In an economy growing double digits they didn’t have to sweat it out

Sooner or later this market will mature. We are not even close to that situation but it will get harder for firms to do business in a climate of slow growth obviously.

But I don’t think a cyclical slowdown such as this one will affect the attitude of manufacturers and dealers much. They know as the economy rebounds customers will come back anyways. Time is on their side. They will prefer not to offer huge discounts just like the real estate market and rather let the inventories sit for a while.
Old 10th July 2019, 14:39   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
What is HM-Mitsubishi doing? I mean literally, what are they doing in India?
There is no clear strategy for HM-Mitsubishi. After Mitsubishi was taken over by Nissan globally, whether they will partner each other in India, still remains a mystery.

Sad to see once a cult car brand is now into doldrums with no clear strategy. Surprisingly, there are not even in media news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiXTriX2004 View Post
They probably could have saved that money and offered it as discounts and still sold twice as much and saved a bunch of money too.
What Nissan really needed with Kicks was a product with a bling like Kia Seltos which is loaded to the gills and Kia definitely has much to show off in Seltos compared to some puny features of Kicks. All Nissan kept harping on was 1st in segment 360 degree camera which didn't help.

Kia not only gave different transmission offering but also features which we Indians really need in a car. Probably a case study for Nissan India.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 10th July 2019 at 15:07. Reason: Merging back to back posts.
NAVREVV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2019, 15:29   #50
BHPian

Hope sales figures of Isuzu are also added.
Old 10th July 2019, 15:48   #51
Senior - BHPian

Not that it matters, but I thought Terrano's sales have stopped, but its a pleasant surprise that the Kicks and Terrano sold in almost same numbers.

Santro sales are settling around 5k, should be below expectations for Hyundai.
FCA needs to be worried, below 1000 is a dismal number for the Compass.

Overall, a sad month again. Lets hope things improve around Diwali.
Old 10th July 2019, 17:18   #52
BHPian

Can anybody throw light on how JTSV twins (Tiago & Tigor JTPs) are doing?
Old 10th July 2019, 21:24   #53
BHPian

One thing that I observed and baffles me is how well the Vento/Rapid siblings are keeping up. Despite an industry slump, they're consistent and the sales are not very volatile. Surprising considering the brand position and the fact that there are much newer products in the market.

Their chief competition, the Honda City, Hyundai Verna and the Maruti Ciaz have been seeing huge decline in sales

Last edited by porsche_guy : 10th July 2019 at 21:25. Reason: Grammar
porsche_guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2019, 22:16   #54
BHPian

Most Auto component manufacturing units in the Pune area are down to barely working 4 days a week. The Auto industry has long taken things for granted and no manufacturer has bothered to take the initiative to disrupt the industry on price or technology. All OEMs follow the same old cookie cutter mentality of launching me-too products with no discernible advantages. This had to happen.
The fact that the premium segment is not too affected means that the middle class has called it a day on buying new cars. Job insecurities, lack of real estate appreciation and dull product offerings mean there is no incentive to buy.

All the huff and puff by the Tata Harrier seems to have come to a naught. With the Hector and Seltos on their way, the Harrier might dip below a 1000 and I'm not sure what Tata is going to be able to do about it. Hexa is on its way out too. All in all, difficult state for a company that had all the resources to come out with disruptive products.
yd_gli is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th July 2019, 18:20   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1agrawal View Post
Indians have not become poorer, the cars have become expensive, roads are jammed and maybe buying a car does not make sense.
Just reached office after driving 1 hour 10 mins for 10 km distance. I counted how many times I engaged 3rd gear and it was zero
Yes, I'm very much with you.

My car is 9+ years old now. When I bought this car, it was 'Love cars, Live cars' all the way.

I don't Love cars anymore and it is 'Live cars' now. Literally, people live a lot of their life inside a car in Bangalore
B103 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2019, 19:35   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogeshsom29 View Post
My observations;
Tata
• Though proven VFM products are thriving but are clearly hit by tornado from multiple coasts.
• Harrier hit by MG &, Nexon hit by XUV300 & Venue, fortunately Tiago twins picked up pace again.
Tata has only itself to blame for not having revamped their dealership experience. In my encounter with Tata, the sales experience was not good \ seamless , the service experience left a bad taste as well. The product was thoughtfully designed and affordable to own and operate, truly represent the values of the brand itself.
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2019, 21:04   #57
Senior - BHPian

Tigor sees a steep increase - perhaps EV dispatches?

Venue sales slightly lesser than Brezza -(high time for a facelift) but greater than its own bigger sibling Creta. Certainly eating into sales of its own product

Maruti is seeing a decline across its product range but the overall sales across its range ya still decent and they’re still ahead of everyone clearly.
Old 12th July 2019, 00:41   #58
BHPian

The markets were flat. Last months Siam data indicated that. The purchases from dealers are down but their retails remain flat or slightly downhill only.

The degrowth is more to do with stock corrections happening across all dealerships. None of the auto dealers want to carry BS 4 vehicles to April 2020 because they cannot be registered from 1st of April next year.

The average stock months for Maruti dealers at the beginning of this FY was 2.5 months. At an average sale of say 1.5 lac cars per month. Maruti needs to reduce atleast 3 lac cars to bring the dealer stocks down to 15 days or so.

Tata Motors has been hit by a double whammy. The dealers had atleast 3 months stock at the beginning of April 2020. The steady flow of Nexon has been hit hard by Mahindra in the rural belt and Venue in the Urban Belt.

Tata Motors I have heard are desperately trying to reduce inventories at their factories. Dealers across the country are resisting but the company is adamant at clearing stocks at the cost of the dealers.

This Diwali we shall witness never seen before offers by OEMs and dealers in a last ditch effort to correct inventories before it gets too late for them.
Old 12th July 2019, 02:10   #59
Team-BHP Support

Endeavour is growing and Fortuner losing. Looks, many customers are willing to go with Ford given the features and overall reviews & reliability of the new model

I think Maruti losses have something to do with decrease in bookings by Ola/ Uber. Is there a place to find commercial registration vs private somewhere?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 12th July 2019 at 21:11. Reason: loosing > losing.
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2019, 21:09   #60
BHPian

The total volume of sales seen in June month were about the same seen during the 2015-16 period. Last time, when the total volume is lesser than this month is during June 2016 when the total volume were 219272 vehicles (if we discount the month of June 2017 when the total volume were just 194932 vehicles due to the introductin of GST from July 2017).

And with the levels of inventory lying with the dealers, it's about to get worser than this in upcoming months it seems, notwithstanding the fact that some of the exciting new launches are about to happen. But as everyone said, the cars had become costlier and the new generation doesn't seem to care about owning cars anymore with the advent of the rental car companies.

Below is the list of Top 25 cars sold during the month of June, over the past 10 years:

June 2019 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-historic_jun_20191.png

June 2019 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-historic_jun_20192.png
jpcoolguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed