Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2020, 13:07   #886
Senior - BHPian

re: The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitp View Post
Don't know if it's just us but both me and my girlfriend ended up feeling nauseated in the Creta. Maybe it's the seating position or perhaps it's the bodyroll but an hour of driving around (within Delhi city) was enough to leave both of us feeling uncomfortable.
Bodyroll. But if you thought those cars make you uncomfortable try driving around in a Scorpio. I think tall people like us are more affected by body rolls than short people. Probably higher center of gravity. But a ride in a Scorpio and a Bolero makes me so nauseous that I'd rather be strapped to one of those saucer things at a playground fair.
Nithesh_M is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2020, 13:44   #887
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipul_singh View Post
Just chiming in to say that not everyone agrees with that. We considered CUVs last year (including the Tuscon, Creta, Seltos and the XUV), but one drive in the Civic convinced us that the lower driving position is more involving.

With respect to the City, it has the added advantage of having a bigger boot than its CUV competition, and (probably) more passenger room. And the WRV is not even in the same league of boot space - I know because I have a Jazz too.

I think Honda should introduce the new 1.5 in the Jazz and WRV, without worrying about cannibalization. Else, others will eat Honda's lunch anyway (already proven).
Not everyone agrees obviously, but the overwhelming majority do, hence the market shift. The involvement isn't the usp for most cars, practicality is. Not saying the wrv has more boot or passenger space than the City, my point was a Honda alternative (Brezza /Creta segments) would kill the City, if similar drivetrain options were offered even at a higher price.

Honda dropped the ball this time. Every major brand rides on its SUVs, that's the reason you get better kit on sedans, they need to make them more desirable, else the customer will get an suv. More kit, less profit, see the Creta, 5 years of being king of the hill, priced higher, yet no effect on desirability in all that time. They didn't even have a top end diesel automatic in all that time.

The City is a good car, improved in every way, not the market has shifted worldwide, except for China which I think has better alternatives.
avira_tk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2020, 19:29   #888
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPX View Post
Those 25% of times hurt the most.

My friend has a 3 year old 4th Gen Honda City and in this short period he has changed front bumpers 2 times that too while driving on city roads . Everytime we scrap the belly we pray to God.
(Yes, the name of the car itself says to drive it only on city roads )
I agree with that because I have to drive dead slowly over unbroken roads and speed breakers much to the annoyance of my passengers. It doesn’t matter much however because at the end of the day it’s my car and I’d rather slow down than hurt her (and myself )

I haven’t yet had to replace any part due to scraping since scraping has become very rare now and nothing was ever significantly damaged. (I own a Gen3)

Also the pun regarding the ‘City’ was fantastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
Sedans don't serve much of a purpose compared to a full size hatch, I can't think of a sedan that is comfortable for me if I have to take the back seat. I have been on long journeys sitting in the back of my punto, head room is a breeze, only an suv can replicate that. The alternative is not proper SUVs, just crossovers that are simply superior in every way. The approach angle is what matters, GC on paper matters little in the real world.
This sir, is subjective I believe since I prefer sedans over hatchbacks any day. I was always hesitant about parking and driving a sedan or a SUV with their big footprint as compared to a hatch but I have realised driving the smallest and largest cars that it’s merely a perception. Yes, I have to find a bigger gap while overtaking but it’s not that big a problem and yes I need to find a parking spot while out but that’s the case with any vehicle. ‘Fitting’ a vehicle into a parking is a different thing and I don’t like doing that, no matter which vehicle. About the approach angle, yes, GC is not that important but the laden GC I believe still is.
Quote:
Offroading is not the purpose of buying an suv, most sedans aren't great at handling, factor in the stricter speed limits, there is no perceptible difference in their favour. Most sedans have lousy suspension unless you are talking about the real expensive ones, with rear wheel drive or a multi link suspension.
Of course but Sedans have better ride as compared to SUVs in my opinion. Having driven most if not all the vehicles plying on our roads, I would pick a sedan even though SUVs are great, I don’t have the need to be the bigger car on the road and yes, it is a little bit of personal preference as well.

Quote:
The City won't stand a chance if Honda brought out a decently powered wrv with an automatic and a Creta rival. That's where sedans are right now. Monsoon is a good time to know the advantages of an SUV, there is no alternative for the safety of being able to see far ahead, that makes driving very relaxing. I prefer an ecosport over the punto any day.
Oh how I wish Honda would plonk the 1.5 mill across their lineup in cars with the 1.2 .

Personally, I dont care much about seeing far ahead since it depends on a lot of factors and not just the class of the vehicle (Read: SUV or sedan or hatchback).
Yes you do get a higher seating position and a wider view but it’s not that important in the real world driving.
alikidwhy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2020, 19:53   #889
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alikidwhy View Post
This sir, is subjective I believe since I prefer sedans over hatchbacks any day. I..
Yes you do get a higher seating position and a wider view but it’s not that important in the real world driving.
Headroom is not subjective, it's very real measurable matter of space, footprint or not sedans don't offer much unless you are in the 30 lakh space. The City might score in this area, but you get the feeling of sitting on a suitcase, hemmed in and cramped at the back.

Wider view of the higher seating position is absolutely crucial for a lot of people. It's safer, and how did you get the idea that it doesn't matter in the real world? It's one of the top reasons why SUVs sell and how is seeing further not an advantage? Even the motoring journalist who ranted about SUVs have come around to accepting the advantage of the seating and how far suspension tuning has negated the high cg disadvantage.

I don't have anything against the City, but given the kind of kit they are putting in it, it's pretty obvious that Honda is betting the farm on this. City used to be under equipped for the price, this generation is a clear sign that consumer preference has shifted,even the base variants offer value.
Old 23rd July 2020, 20:43   #890
GBX
BHPian

This is getting OT, but just to play devil's advocate:

Most SUVs aren't wading through the level of water that would sink a sedan. Nor are most people tall enough to make use of the extra headroom in an SUV.

Most sedans are never cornered fast enough where an SUV would just roll over. Nor are most drivers capable of appreciating the better involvement behind the wheel.

It's going to come down to personal preference at the end of the day. Let's just hope manufacturers keep offering excellent options in all segments and not put their eggs in one basket.

Also, for those folks who want the best of both worlds:

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-35622289262_f47954c353_o.jpg
GBX is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2020, 21:18   #891
Distinguished - BHPian

SUVs may have more head room, commanding seating position and the higher ground clearance will save you from those speeds bump scrapes. But when you are the one driving, there is no comparison between SUVs and Sedans when it comes to driving pleasure, high speed control and maneuverability around curves.

I am one big tall guy and I have no issues with any of the current C2 sedans (I have used all but Verna). I find it surprising when people find sedans claustrophobic, because I have no issues with space and it gives a reassuring cocooned feel too.

Even the passengers comfort is better in sedans due to reduced bodyroll.
If anyone still doesn't get it, I can offer you a fast highway ride in my Storme v400 and my ciaz/rapid back to back.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 23rd July 2020 at 21:22.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2020, 22:08   #892
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBX View Post
Also, for those folks who want the best of both worlds:

Attachment 2033638
The Volvo is awesome, but if it was a choice while shopping for a City, instead of being here, we could hire someone to post our opinions on team bhp.

Truth is that sedans will be more tending to east Asian tastes going forward, that's where the market exists, just check the VW sedan range in China. The City will be the last ones standing, so if you can put up with the limitations it remains an option. I don't have the luxury of good roads where I travel, so SUVs uber alles.
Old 24th July 2020, 08:57   #893
BHPian

Question to those who've driven the 5th gen City CVT and 4th gen City CVT - How similar is the drive? Especially the gearbox?
Old 24th July 2020, 09:47   #894
BHPian

Guys I need advise , I am considering the V cvt model as it fits my budget.
How to get the sixteen inch alloys with fatter rubber without voiding the warranty ?
I am newbie any help would much appreciated.
Old 24th July 2020, 10:47   #895
Senior - BHPian

You may ask your dealer to get it swapped during delivery. Some dealership do it without hassle. Others refuse. Anyway post delivery the service manager may also do it.
Nithesh_M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2020, 12:15   #896
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arihant jain View Post
Guys I need advise , I am considering the V cvt model as it fits my budget.
How to get the sixteen inch alloys with fatter rubber without voiding the warranty ?
I am newbie any help would much appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
You may ask your dealer to get it swapped during delivery. Some dealership do it without hassle. Others refuse. Anyway post delivery the service manager may also do it.
Related question - is it preferable to get fatter rubbers right at the time of delivery (maybe benefit from exchange value of stock tires) or buy them after running through stock tyres?

Thinking about getting 195s on the ZX CVT
Old 24th July 2020, 12:22   #897
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitp View Post
Related question - is it preferable to get fatter rubbers right at the time of delivery (maybe benefit from exchange value of stock tires) or buy them after running through stock tyres?

Thinking about getting 195s on the ZX CVT
Depends on you completely if you are looking for better tyres from day 1 and cannot live with the stock tyres replace them just after delivery.

If you think you can live with the stock tyres and when going for a replacement want better tyres you can go after running through stock tyres.
sv97 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2020, 12:24   #898
Senior - BHPian

If you can live with stock tyres for its lifetime then it is cost effective as you'll lose less money compared to trade in. But if you want better tyres from day one swap it immediately.
Nithesh_M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2020, 14:09   #899
Senior - BHPian

Dealers are offering huge discounts (even before any negotiations) on 4th gen City (2020 BS6 model) - I got one such whatsapp message where the earlier gen V MT had more than 80k discount, and the earlier gen ZX MT had 1.2L discount, and I assume one can negotiate on top of that.
Old 24th July 2020, 15:22   #900
Senior - BHPian

City compared with Creta

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks