Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2020, 17:32   #976
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
As mundane as the 1.5 iVTEC may sound, it's performance and general powertrain reliability is virtually unmatched in the price segment it operates.
In terms of reliability, the iVTEC is as good as it gets. But the performance game has more than moved on. It is well established that VW’s new 1.0 TSi has better performance, both outright and in gear. The bigger turbo petrol of Hyundai make approx 20% more power and almost 40% more torque. That is massive. Their 1.5 NA engine is a solid performer in its own right, and is much more refined than the Honda staple. The Seltos and Creta are in a similar price band as the City, while the Rapid is significantly cheaper. Skoda is also going to jump into this price band with the Kamiq with its 1.0 and 1.5TSi engines.

Granted all these turbo petrols are new and their long term reliability will be known with time. But they are all backed by long factory warranties. There hasn’t been any unreliable turbo petrol in the market. VW-Skoda have been selling TSi engines in India for 15 years now, and there hasn’t been any engine related trouble.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 31st July 2020 at 17:37.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 18:26   #977
Senior - BHPian

Almost all the modern petrol engines are fairly reliable. I have not heard of any modern car suffering from engine related reliability problems of late, and especially in that very segment many Verna petrol owners are quite happy.

And while the 1.5L i-Vtec of the City has been praised for its performance, I have a different view. While my dad's Honda City feels faster under pedal-to-the-metal scenarios, at rpms less than 4k, its verrry boring In comparison, my Fiesta's 1.6L mill is alive and buzzing from 2k rpm itself. Agreed, at above 5k rpm the Honda City feels decidedly superior.

What spoils the whole party is, when pushing hard and bouncing off the rev limiter, the engine shows its strength but the chassis and suspension shows its weakness diluting the fun one can have.

Its a good engine, but far from the best.
aravind.anand is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2020, 18:40   #978
Distinguished - BHPian

The New Honda City regains the crown as the best selling executive sedan in July. but the bigger question is can it sustain the throne as the difference between its peers are minuscule in numbers!

Name:  hc.PNG
Views: 10726
Size:  56.0 KB

Source:Auto Punditz
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2020, 21:34   #979
Senior - BHPian

I think that is the 4th gen BSVI numbers.
Nithesh_M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2020, 10:22   #980
Team-BHP Support

Offers already?

Benefits of up to 16,000/- on the new City in Kerala, as per this ad in the papers today morning. Ad lists both dealers - so should be from the company and not dealers.

Has Honda revealed booking numbers for the City?

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-20200806_101731.jpg
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th August 2020, 10:41   #981
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Offers already?

Benefits of up to 16,000/- on the new City in Kerala.
There are no offers from Honda on 5th Gen City. While the older 4th Gen City has discounts. This 16k might include Loyalty Bonus(6k) + Corporate Discount(10k) which the dealer can offer for existing customers. The official website doesn't mention any offers on 5th Gen City.

Also, There is 2.5 lakhs discount on Civic Diesel while in the above image, the dealer is quoting 2.81 lakhs, the dealer is offering additional discount from his side above the company discount.

Even if the New City is success or Flop, discounts will start in year end.
CarguyNish is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th August 2020, 13:11   #982
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Offers already?

Benefits of up to 16,000/- on the new City in Kerala, as per this ad in the papers today morning. Ad lists both dealers - so should be from the company and not dealers.

Has Honda revealed booking numbers for the City?
I am quite surprised that no one on this thread has confirmed having taken delivery of the 5th Gen City yet. Probably an indication that it hasn't really got off to a blazing start..?

I did see a couple of articles around the sales numbers, but these are a mix of the heavily discounted 4th and the new 5th Gen cars for July, without segregating them.

"The reports reveal that Honda has sold 1,975 units of the City, while its competition the Hyundai Verna registers 1,906 units and the Maruti Suzuki Ciaz has posted 1,303 units sold last month."

Read more at Honda City outsells Verna & Ciaz in July!
Old 8th August 2020, 20:28   #983
BHPian

Was all set to bring home the New City this month but Kia Sonet has totally changed my mind. With the Sonet's Diesel TC GTX+ likely to be priced similar to the City's ZX CVT, buyers like me looking for a 2 passenger feature-loaded urban commuter will find it hard to overlook the practicality of the Sonet.
Old 13th August 2020, 18:51   #984

Well, the inactivity of this thread in testimony to the fact that it's not a sedan market anymore. I too am excited about the City, but our road conditions & waterlogging frequency begs for cars like Creta & Seltos.
jiteshdivine is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th August 2020, 19:43   #985
BHPian

I have been checking posts related to sedans :-
1. Honda City - Haven't seen anyone mentioning that they went ahead and bought the new City
2. Hyundai Verna - Can't find the official review for the updated 1.5 litre engine version and no confirmation from anyone about buying it
3. Skoda Rapid - This has been the most talked about sedan here in recent times, especially after the Rider variant has been introduced

I am looking for a sedan and these 3 are the primary contenders for me. Considering this would be my primary car for the next few years and also that I am planning to keep it for a long time, my decision has moved away from Rapid - very old platform, new one expected by end of next year, Skoda's service issues, the only sensible variant is Rider/Rider Plus but you can't fiddle around too much with the car as it could void the warranty.

In City vs Verna, the Verna is easily the more value-for-money car but I just abhor the way it looks. Not a big fan of that big fat chrome grill on the City also, but that would still look better after being wrapped in black. And just love the overall proportions of City, a proper 3-box design, no coupe-type roof.

But City VX is pricier than Verna SX IVT (both around ,14 lacs) which just accentuates the confusion!

It would be great to hear BHPians' views on the City vs Verna debate!
AutoConsultant is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2020, 23:44   #986
BHPian

My bad, we already have a Rapid vs City vs Verna thread started a couple of days back

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedan...vs-others.html (Skoda Rapid 1.0 TSI vs Honda City vs Hyundai Verna vs others)

The City seems to be the best choice, home it gives the much needed boost to the sedan segment. I personally do not prefer a high (almost a mini-truck sort of) driving position and if you primarily drive in the cities, you can easily manage the few big potholes you will encounter.
AutoConsultant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 19:35   #987
Senior - BHPian

Nearly 60% demand for New-Gen Honda City is for top end trim.

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-smartselect_20200814193505_chrome.jpg

Rajesh Goel, Senior Vice President and Director of Sales & Marketing, Honda Cars India said, As per the initial response, the top end ZX variant, with numerous segment-first features, is getting the maximum demand of almost 60%.

https://gaadiwaadi.com/nearly-60-dem...-top-end-trim/
Venkatesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 19:48   #988
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Nearly 60% demand for New-Gen Honda City is for top end trim.

Attachment 2042830

Rajesh Goel, Senior Vice President and Director of Sales & Marketing, Honda Cars India said, As per the initial response, the top end ZX variant, with numerous segment-first features, is getting the maximum demand of almost 60%.

https://gaadiwaadi.com/nearly-60-dem...-top-end-trim/
That's quite surprising, IMO the VX variant is more VFM than ZX as it has all the essentials and the sunroof, the ZX only gets a few things extra like leather upholstery and LED lights.
tanmoy87 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 20:49   #989
Senior - BHPian

I really like how the new City looks from the rear. You could mistake it for a 3 series replica. Does anyone know what the turning radius is?
Nithesh_M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 21:30   #990
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
I really like how the new City looks from the rear. You could mistake it for a 3 series replica. Does anyone know what the turning radius is?
The turning radius seems to be the same as previous gen, despite the bigger size - 5.3m.

New Honda City Specs

Previous Gen Honda City Specs

Hope this helps!
Aditya Gupta is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks