Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2019, 17:47   #16
BHPian

Re: Delhi: Women drivers to be exempt from odd-even scheme

So women get odd-even exemption because of safety issues. I thought the Delhi government wanted to make the DTC and metro rides free for women as they provided a safe way of transport-
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/69625499.cms

Can't the women commute in the metro to be safe? It would cost less than the petrol used by the car. Absolutely ridiculous stand by the Delhi government possibly to get some publicity.
Old 14th October 2019, 17:55   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
.............. women accompanied by children aged less than 12 years will be exempted from the scheme.

Why less than 12 yr old children? Can a 16 or 17 year old drive? So if a single parent wants to drop of their class 12th kid to school, she can't!

What impossible logic! Absolutely Stupid! I can start finding a number of other flaws as well, but then it is the Delhi government!
navpreet318 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 18:57   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
Statistically men are much more likely to be victims of crime then women. Although media may want you to believe otherwise. So safety of men does not matter ?
Being a Male who commutes in Delhi on a daily basis, I can tell you that I would not at all feel safe to travel by public transport. Even though i have the luxury of my own car, I have had a situation where I have been threatened by a rogue driver because I did not pay heed to his incessant honking. He even followed my car for quite a distance. But I would also like to state the fact that if I were a female, I would feel 10 times more unsafe in this city. Yes, men ARE more likely to be victims of crimes, but at the same time most of the perpetrators are also men. Also look at this;most women do not feel safe in Delhi:

https://www.un.org/youthenvoy/2013/0...public-spaces/

While I agree with you that exempting women drivers may seem like discrimination, but the it is the only solution given the fact that there is not much else that can be done to ensure safety of all those using the public transport. The best thing would be to scrap this unscientific rule and concentrate on the real causes of pollution.
Sanidhya mukund is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 19:20   #19
BHPian

Though I don't commute a lot as I am a student but right now I am really angry and helpless because we have only 1 car and 1 bike in our house which will 99% be used to go to office by my dad during this scheme.

Last time it was implemented we had 2 cars in our house and it wasn't really a problem, this time Mr. AK decided to implement it during my exams and my exams fall on 9, 13 and 15 and further I really hoped that my centre fall in Dwarka but to my bad luck today admit card was released and the centre is in Janakpuri.

Mr. Ak becoming active at the end of tenure and trying to earn brownie points and he literally he threw himself under the bus and told we don't have any sufficient planning so we won't be able to exempt CNG cars. Then why just launch the scheme? There is never any traffic reduction in the odd-even scheme. Are men less vulnerable compared to women? Why exempt women who are driving with a 12 year old child why not 18 year old? Does the government provide license when the child is above 12 years old or does he attains majority?

We never had sufficient public transport due to the population outburst in India. If it is for pollution why not implement odd-even for whole year which will be applicable to only diesel cars. I hope Delhi chooses wisely next time.

Sorry for the long rant and I know not only me at least 40-60% of Delhi will suffer due to this.

Last edited by revvharder : 14th October 2019 at 19:21.
revvharder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 19:23   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Not sure this will do much. Providing incentives and alternatives to farmers to stop crop burning will be 10X more meaningful but politicians being politicians have to do antics that appeal to their main voter base. Having said that I am both surprised and disappointed by the angst on this thread against women. Western norms of discrimination cannot be applied to India in general and to unsafe places like Delhi in particular. And quoting that more men die of violence is not relevant to the unsafe travel conditions women face routinely in broad daylight in Delhi. Feminine toxicity that is apparent in parts of American society is no reason we can't be chivalrous to our women.
V.Narayan is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 20:35   #21
BHPian

5-6 years back, I used to travel by bus to my office at ITO (3 km from my home in Minto Road) by bus no. 317 and 943. Now, these buses are nowhere to be seen.

I am forced to use my car now, except in winter when I walk to and from office.

Delhi govt has a surplus budget of more than 1000 crore. It should increase buses and other public transport rather than restricting people from using their cars.
NH08 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 20:51   #22
J4J
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Chech out our own poll:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...your-home.html
So there are probably still a lot of folks out there who only have one car.
Jeroen
I agree that I cannot generalize based on my little data set.
Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Not sure this will do much. Providing incentives and alternatives to farmers to stop crop burning will be 10X more meaningful but politicians being politicians have to do antics that appeal to their main voter base.
I also think that the city/region needs much more than odd-even if it has to tackle the issue. I recently read that the government may implement office rationing scheme. In this scheme, the office timings will be scheduled such that all of the traffic doesn't get choked at one time. Be it the public transport or public roads, I feel the main reason for overcrowding is this.
Work from homes should also be encouraged during this time.
Many such proposals should be tried apart from just the odd-even.

Exemption shouldn't be the issue now. There are reasons for the exemptions. Instead, a good visible solution should be the main focus and target of the government and the people together.
Enthusiasm fades when people don't see the results even after putting in the effort.
Old 14th October 2019, 20:54   #23
BHPian

We shouldn't be grudging these concessions given to women. They do not come from another planet. They are our wives, sisters, mothers, daughters etc. I for one would be very comforted that any woman who matters to me is in the relatively safe confines of a 4 wheeler in a hostile city. We can debate the usefulness of odd even, but if it has to happen, then I am happy that women are exempt from it.
Malyaj is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 21:21   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malyaj View Post
We shouldn't be grudging these concessions given to women. They do not come from another planet. They are our wives, sisters, mothers, daughters etc. I for one would be very comforted that any woman who matters to me is in the relatively safe confines of a 4 wheeler in a hostile city. We can debate the usefulness of odd even, but if it has to happen, then I am happy that women are exempt from it.
Yes they may be our sisters, mothers or daughters, but that doesn't mean discrimination against men is acceptable or that men should suffer the brunt of saving the environment.

If there is safety issue for women and the scheme can't be implemented universally, it deserves to be scrapped.

This is a violation of the constitutional right to equality and the Delhi government deserves to be sued for gender discrimination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Having said that I am both surprised and disappointed by the angst on this thread against women. Western norms of discrimination cannot be applied to India in general and to unsafe places like Delhi in particular. And quoting that more men die of violence is not relevant to the unsafe travel conditions women face routinely in broad daylight in Delhi. Feminine toxicity that is apparent in parts of American society is no reason we can't be chivalrous to our women.
Sir, chivalry is long dead and has no place in an era of gender equality and feminism and the general opinion on the thread shows exactly that.

Delhi is unsafe not only for women but men too in general. You would have heard about mafias extorting men with fake rape / sexual harassment complaints.
Ragavsr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 21:28   #25
BHPian

By that logic, what about the LGBTQ community living in Delhi? Are female/male transgenders exempt or is this a grey area whose enforcement lies in hands of the traffic police as to whether the driver will be fined or no.

I understand women need safety and having their own car is much safer than public transport, but that's not a reason to penalize other men. Trust me, women would feel much safer if their husband's drove their cars with them in it rather than the woman driving all by herself alone in the middle of the night.

I always thought the odd-even rule is really stupid. Also, why exempt two-wheelers? 70 lakh two-wheelers on the road in Delhi, won't 35 lakh two-wheeler less every day not reduce pollution?
Starfire is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 22:49   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malyaj View Post
As much as I'd like my mother, sister or any other women from my house or any other house to be safe, I would like my father, brother or any other men to be safe. When even educated people like us advocate the unfairness from the government it will still be a long road to equality.

We need to even consider that in most of the houses the male is the sole bread earner in the family and if something happens to the bread earner to the house, I don't think the government would compensate.

We need laws that promote equality rather than laws promoting bias towards a gender.

I had even shared an incident on road rage thread where I was this close to being mugged in broad daylight, had I not been in a car I don't think I would be writing this.

IMHO Concessions should only be provided to senior citizens and the disabled.

Last edited by revvharder : 14th October 2019 at 22:52.
revvharder is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 23:38   #27
BHPian

Males are relatively useless from the point of view of nature. Nature needs only a handful of powerful and aggressive males and almost all healthy females to keep the species going. Giving more importance to women is nature's law.

Till upto a thousand years ago a handful of men reproduced with almost all women. With settlements, industrialization and world peace there is a glut of men. When there is too much of something that is not important, it tends to be treated as 3rd class.

Men should understand and accept reality. Shed this delusion of equality with women and understand that society looks at them as an unavoidable nuisance. Men are here to serve women as there are too many men than what is needed.

Men inherently know that they are unimportant. This is why men argue for women's rights. We can see several examples of this male self disposable nature even in this thread. Women inherently know that they are valuable. They on the other hand argue for women's rights too.

Once we understand the laws of nature and our own nature, and accept it without prejudice, odd even will be the least of our problems.

Read the other laws of the land that legally treats men as 3rd class citizens and assumes that men are born criminals. These are laws formulated by men against other men. The powerful men make laws to discriminate against the powerless men. This is in our blood and genes. This is the nature of our species

Truth is a bitter pill to swallow.

Last edited by rrnsss : 15th October 2019 at 00:04.
rrnsss is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 15th October 2019, 00:06   #28
BHPian

I was and still am confused on the these knee jerk rules in delhi.
I'm all up for pollution control and stuff but such random acts of judgement/decisions are weird.

Can anyone explain why hasn't anyone tried to drag someone responsible to credit back 50% of road tax paid if the vehicle is gonna be allowed to ply on half the days ?

I really think India should bring in properly enforced WFH quotas in all metros so that atleast half the IT crowd works from home . Think about the fuel, AC , water, power costs for running each IT corridor.

Last edited by vamsi2390 : 15th October 2019 at 00:08.
vamsi2390 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2019, 07:27   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

This guy makes it so difficult for the voter to keep liking his government. Such decisions make you wonder if he has learnt anything after these 3 years as CM. The first time this rule was brought, it was accepted as that was the first time when Delhi saw a thick cover of smoke. Even then it was noticed that the only outcome was relatively less traffic with no effects on pollution. The second time it was brought in, the effects were even more negligible as most people had made alternative arrangements to tackle the menace. I am sure this time it would be no different. The only factor is the recent hike in traffic fines which may put off some people. But then I guess that depends on the Central government's support to this non-sensical initiative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamsi2390 View Post
Can anyone explain why hasn't anyone tried to drag someone responsible to credit back 50% of road tax paid if the vehicle is gonna be allowed to ply on half the days ?
This is only for 10 days. Imagine the plight of all those diesel car owners who have paid road tax for 15 years but suddenly find out that they need to scrap their vehicle at end of 10 years. Till today RTOs are charging road tax for 15 years with the RC too showing validity of 15 years. But the actual usage is only 10 years. If this isn't a SCAM, then I don't know what is.

Last edited by Aditya : 15th October 2019 at 08:39. Reason: Back to back posts merged
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2019, 07:32   #30
BHPian

Delhi is quite bad for women alone — anytime of the day. The North Indian ideology towards unknown/strange women is quite revolting and sickening. Men with uncontrolled testosterone for sure will: board public transport just to harass and molest females during the odd/even dictatorship. I think it is a just decision. Till men do not mend their rampant behaviour, ring-fencing as such is required.
asingh1977 is online now   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks