Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2019, 18:51   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Have you ever bought a car / bike without a test-drive?

Yes 2

1995 Suzuki Shogun (I was second owner) - I let my brother decide
2009 Chevrolet Spark - Plan was to drive it for 3 years and upgrade but ended up driving it for 10 years (sold it few months back to my colleague)

Last edited by Latheesh : 28th October 2019 at 18:53.
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2019, 19:34   #32
BHPian

Yes I did and have no regrets at all. It was earlier this year when i got the litte pocket rocket known as Abarth Punto home. I had my heart set on Abarth since it launched and always dreamt of owning it some day. Fast forward to late 2018 when i started looking for a new car and test drove Ecosport, Freestyle, Nexon, City etc for a fun to drive car and stumbled upon a good deal for Abarth, courtesy fellow Bhpians, especially @blackwasp.

Things moved fast from booking till delivery and frankly I didn't even know if I could find Abarth for a test drive. So i was actually looking forward to be intimidated on my first drive in my own Abarth. And the Abarth didn't disappoint at all. What a first drive it was, not ashamed to admit, I was scared crazy for first few kms.. I was afraid of the the wheelspin, the torque steer and getting rear ended courtesy those stupendous brakes. But all went well and the first drive lasted a good 200+ kms as we got to know each other well on beautiful countryside of Pune Nashik highway right after delivery.

Contrary to that, i took really long test drives/rides of my other car/bikes before buying them, which is what I advise in general to everyone. But IMHO it's a crazy experience of driving/riding your very own car/bike the very first time when you take the delivery as there is certain fun as well as a fear in knowing that there is no going back from this anytime soon, like it or not.
camitesh is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th October 2019, 19:37   #33
Senior - BHPian

Maruti 800 in 1997. My dad bought the car for me. He doesn't know how to drive and the car was booked without any test drive. Back in the days there were not many options so test drive was not probably very relevant as it is today. The 800 was the default choice for many.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2019, 19:48   #34
BHPian

We grew up on Fiat's, and I bought the Punto without a test drive. A Fiat couldn't really go wrong with us . I was fully aware of what I was getting into, though, and being technically inclined, I knew it could not be that bad. It was a good buy, after 8 years now! I had been driven around in a colleague's car, prior to the buy, though!

I got a Superb B8 recently. I had extensively driven the B6 (when I was looking around for an used piece) the Laura and the Octy 1.4 but never the B8. The first drive was on the day of delivery. I was smitten by it after I was driven around in one. And again, I am a petrol guy; the MT TSI "couldn't be bad". Plus the rich information on this forum...so no "real" TD. Again, loving it.

So I have bought 2 cars without a real TD. However I remember my dad buying his, second hand, after actually keeping the cars for a day. The first new car we had got, the Premier Padmini, and the M800 later on, there were NO TD those days!

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 28th October 2019 at 20:05.
lapis_lazuli is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th October 2019, 20:01   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, almost!
Quoting my own post from my Etios ownership thread, which i wrote in 2013!
Though, later before making the full payment, i drove the car once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Then again Team Bhp stopped me from doing so. A thread came up with scoop pics of the Toyota Etios. My dad likes the brand Toyota so he asked to wait for the Etios to come up. So we waited the whole November. Now came December and GTO wrote the awesome comprehensive review on the Etios petrol. The next day we were at the Toyota showroom and there was an Etios in display but no car for the test drive. The external look was kind of okay but the interiors were too basic but i was not much bothered about it. My main criteria was the performance, ride quality, reliability and after sales service. Talked with few Innova owners and they told us availability of spares were not an issue and Toyota service was top class too, and Toyota's are known to be reliable too. I had full faith on GTO and the standard of Team Bhp. Without test driving the car we booked the Etios.

Last edited by Samba : 28th October 2019 at 20:06.
Samba is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th October 2019, 20:34   #36
BHPian

Yes. An i20. Did not know how to drive. So how could I test it.
asingh1977 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2019, 21:05   #37
Senior - BHPian

Bought the Honda Civic without a test drive. It's been more than 12 years and I haven't regretted that decision.
coolkurt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2019, 21:21   #38
BHPian

Yeah, bought my X3 30d without a test drive. I did try out the X3 20d though, but 30d felt like a totally different car when I finally drove it
ece2k2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2019, 21:26   #39
Senior - BHPian

Buying a vehicle is not like buying vegetables. At least for me, I can't be causal about it. I do a lot of research, ask around, have a test-drive, take some time and then make that leap. It is definitely high-involvement - since I need to have that urge in me to wake up at the crack of dawn and clean it, wax it (if it needs it) and be fastidious with service appointments etc. If I buy it just because interest is high (everyone's talking about it), and I don't like it, then it is a kill-joy. Can't take chances, can we!
Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2019, 21:51   #40
BHPian

When we intended to buy our next car in 2015, I had actually thought that I'll be taking test drives of the Jazz, Elite i20, Grand i10, Polo before deciding. The moment we landed at the Honda showroom., the first car that was visible was the new gen Jazz in white, and I was so awed by its looks that I decided it had to be it. And without a test drive, we booked the car. Haven't regretted the decision any second of the ownership.
TD_GHY is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2019, 23:40   #41

Twice.

The first was a Palio 1.6 GTX, when I casually dropped by a showroom and saw they were going for a massive discount.

The second was a Honda City (ivtec) a year later, when the Palio and Fiat’s service proved too unreliable to depend on.

And, frankly, I never regretted either of those two purchases.

-ajay
ajija is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2019, 00:00   #42
BHPian

Two of them. A Zen in 1999 was bought without any test drives because when you want a Zen, you want a Zen. Brilliant car that brought a smile to my face anytime I floored it.
Then there was a M800 in 2003. I didn't see the point in TDing something that I was completely familiar with. As it turned out this was a stupid move on my part because Maruti had replaced their brilliant 12 valve engine with a 8 valve one and swapped the 5 speed gearbox with a 4 speed one. It was very cheap to run and maintain and I didn't beat myself up too much about it.
Roy.S is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2019, 00:08   #43
BHPian

Once, I bought my 2016 Hyundai Creta petrol automatic without a test drive as it had just launched and I was one of the first to have taken a delivery for this particular variant in India. So no test drive vehicle was available. I have no regrets 😀
Old 29th October 2019, 00:57   #44
BHPian

Yes - 1 Bike & 1 Car

Bajaj Pulsar - Bought Pulsar 150 (with alloys) in 2005 without TD. People were crazy about Pulsar that time and I was not an exception.

Maruti Suzuki Alto LXi - Bought this car in 2006 without TD. Actually I didn't know how to drive at that time. Just took basic lessons from a friend before going to showroom for delivery. Plan was that the friend will drive and get it home. But I sat on driver's seat and just started driving

Last edited by aah78 : 29th October 2019 at 01:07. Reason: i -> I. ;)
Old 29th October 2019, 01:28   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

I bought an Apache RR310 without a test drive, i was sold by the looks. The fact that i had a RTR which had been awesome for last 10 years, helped reinvest in TVS brand.
AtheK is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks