Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2019, 12:47   #61
BHPian

Re: Have you ever bought a car / bike without a test-drive?

We bought Toyota Innova Crysta 2.8L without test driving the vehicle.
embee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2019, 12:48   #62
BHPian

Bought my first ever car, a Ciaz, without a test drive, heck, when I drove it off the showroom, it was only the second time I'd sat in it. Team bhp review helped a lot. Plus thought you can't go wrong with a Maruti. Wife was already liking it. So no further considerations needed. Haven't regretted it ever since.
superbad is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2019, 12:56   #63
BHPian

Yes, I do!

My first car was 2013 Ertiga and I never test drove it. I just sat inside the car and finalized the deal and took the delivery.

The reason was obvious, I was yet to get my licence and the first car I drove after getting my DL was my own Ertiga
Old 29th October 2019, 13:38   #64
BHPian

I bought my 1st car Alto 800, when I was learning how to drive from a neighborhood driving school. Hired a driver to bring the car home and then for the next few days, kept taking driver services, as I was not very comfortable driving on my own. Most of these driving schools have cars with master clutch on the passenger's side, and I was essentially just controlling the steering. But when it came to driving my own car, it took some time to get adjusted to the clutch. Looking back, I wish I knew how to drive, and had taken a TD. Probably would have altered my choice.
Old 29th October 2019, 13:53   #65
BHPian

Yes. Bought our current car, the Skoda Octavia VRS without a test drive, mainly because one wasn't available. However, the fantastic official Review on Team BHP and Nikhil's detailed ownership review meant that I never needed a test drive!
KungFuPanda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2019, 14:03   #66
BHPian

We bought our Brezza without even sitting in the car once. We had bought a second hand EcoSport first but it had some engine fault which needed the engine to be replaced. That frustration led my father to book the available Maruti alternative. So far, we don't regret our decision.
shivamk11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2019, 14:10   #67
BHPian

Yes! The VW Polo GT TSI. I wanted to make it a birthday gift for my wife and went to have a test drive. To my surprise the dealers , VW Trichy said they don't have a GT TSI to test drive. I booked it anyway since I had the Vento already and I also had read up every one of the reviews here on Team- Bhp. I wasn't disappointed and wife was overjoyed!
sunsetorange is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2019, 14:16   #68
BHPian

I bought my petrol Beat LS without a test drive - but did check out the car a few times at different showrooms first. My budget was just enough for a 1.2 L hatchback in 2011, and the fact it had HPS over i10 and Ritz won me over - though I didn't drive any of the three. The car stood out from the competition when it was introduced and that was enough back then. But no complaints till date - even though GM abandoned India I still get it serviced regularly and it's giving me the same FE in the city as it did in 2011.
vkrmchauhan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2019, 14:36   #69
BHPian

I brought my Bajaj Avenger without test driving it because I just fell in love with it, and it was perfect for my height when I sat on one in the office parking. I also bought my Maruti Ritz without a test drive because I did not know how to drive then. I bought the car and enrolled myself in driving classes. Bought the car home in two weeks, tried to park it like a pro and ended up driving it into the parking wall, and got over my fear of putting a scratch on it. Drove pretty well aftewords.
akshay_ritz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2019, 14:56   #70
BHPian

The newest car in the garage, Swift Vxi 2018 was bought without test drive. Reason was the sudden decision of getting beloved zen exchanged due to 15 year NGT rule. Having Dzire type 1 and Ritz with the same engine, there was little doubt that the drive will be similar and hassle free. End result we have 3 different cars, or should I say body shells, with same heart.
headbanger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2019, 15:03   #71
BHPian

The often repeated car on this thread - the current Octavia vRS! It was my first vehicle which was a blind purchase. I at least had it better than Nikhil and got to see a car in flesh before I booked one.
Hells Bells is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2019, 15:07   #72
BHPian

It might seem weird but I'm hesitant to drive any vehicle that doesn't belong to me, my immediate family or closest friends. I simply am not wired to drive a showroom owned test drive vehicle. Bought 2 cars within the family without a test drive. A 2008 fiat palio and a 2014 tata zest. Both purchases turned out OK though.
Old 29th October 2019, 15:22   #73
BHPian

Test-driving a car before purchase is a relatively new luxury that we have taken for granted today!

I remember that in our Dad's generation, new vehicles like Tata Sierra, Tata Estate, Contessa Classic, and the iconic Maruti 800/Van were launched and opened up for booking. There used to be months and months of waiting for delivery, after paying the advance. Allotted deliveries of those bookings used to be sold at a huge premium to other desperate buyers who were not allotted their vehicles yet.

After all this, you still did not know how the vehicle even drove. No reviews, blogs, Whatsapp, or Facebook

The manufacturer had a "take it or leave it" attitude, and even thinking about asking for a test-drive was something strange.

We've definitely come a long way.
PearlJam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2019, 15:24   #74
BHPian

I bought the Hyundai Santro without even driving one, I was a newbie car driver back then. I have taken another newbie driver with me to help me finalize the deal. I have learned driving on WagonR and I remember the tutor saying Santro is any day better than WagonR. I bought it and never regretted it. It was an awesome car, we can easily potter around all day in that 3rd gear . Sorry for the bad quality image, it was shot on my iPhone 4
Attached Thumbnails
Have you ever bought a car / bike without a test-drive?-img_3252.jpg  

Old 29th October 2019, 16:05   #75
BHPian

All vehicles I've bought have been technically without a test ride/drive. The RX-135 I bought back in 2005 was because production had stopped and I just didn't want to miss buying a new RX-135.

My first car purchase was in 2011, a Wagon-R from TrueValue, and I didn't have a license nor did I have enough driving experience to gauge if the car was good enough. A good close friend of mine, who already owned a Wagon-R, test drove it for me.

My second car purchase in 2013, a Figo TDCi, was without a test drive as well. I had driven my uncle's Figo a few kilometers though, but had learned enough about the car from TBHP.

My third car purchase in 2017, Tiago XZA, was no different. The only time I had driven an automatic/AMT was when I had test driven a Nano XTA for about a kilometer in 2015/16. Also, I had test driven a manual Tigor. But I had made up my mind on which AMT I was buying.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks