Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2019, 09:59   #31
BHPian

Re: Cars that punch above their weight in India!

Cars that punch above their weight in India!-84f221f9a9494a41b5c1ed5e1972a872.jpeg

Wanted to add Skoda Superb also with it’s killer TVC but it’s already here. In addition, adding Getz 1.5D to the list. This car was way ahead of it’s time and the performance/handling was mind blowing for that price point.

Had pleasure of owning a petrol one and have only fond memories about it. Sad Hyundai had to kill it for i20.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 3rd December 2019 at 14:21. Reason: Typo corrected.
turbowhistle is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 09:59   #32
BHPian

GTO have covered most of it. In the recent days, automakers try their best to give the segment above features and comfort in the budget cars. KIA Seltos and Skoda Superb is one such example. In addition, Polo GT TSI is just a pocket Rocket for that price range.

I may add Chevy Cruze in this list since the power and comfort it offered that time Punched the segment above cars.
ash22 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 10:05   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
BHPians: Please add to this list with cars which you think punch above their weight!
You've made it hard to actually add! The list is just perfect. Each one of the list belongs here.

I'd add the current gen HYUNDAI VERNA in this list.
It really packs a lot of punch.
  1. Features overlapping with the Elantra
  2. Punchy engines - especially a gem of a diesel. Worth dying for, that one!
  3. Pretty well built. Not exactly an ultra light car.
  4. Excellent styling & design.
  5. Quite competitively priced against the City & Ciaz for the list it offers.

Last edited by Reinhard : 3rd December 2019 at 10:06.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 10:34   #34
BHPian

The one car that I feel that punches above its weight is Toyota Etios.
It is large, spacious, got an excellent engine and driveability along with good handling and comfort.
Cars that punch above their weight in India!-images.jpg
Picture source : Autocar India

Do I need to say more about reliability?

Inspite of it being a lightweight car, a Global NCAP ratings of 4 star proves that it is the car which truly punches above its weight.
DrCar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 10:38   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
I would like to add the Ford Freestyle TDCI 1.5. It's a safe car with beautiful engine, loaded with features and priced well. However, the car does not seem to be available with most dealers
I have been driving the Freestyle 1.5 TDCi for the past year covering 19000 kms and I cannot agree more, it's one heck of a package !

On availability, unlike other manufacturers Ford doesn't maintain high inventory and shell out unsustainable discounts. They reduce the manufacturing towards the end of year always and this year they have been extra cautious owing to BS-6 implementation !

So here is my pick :

1.5 TDCi, 6 airbags, ARP ( Active Rollover Protection ),Sync 3 for less than a million !

Cars that punch above their weight in India!-b.jpg
Image used for representation purpose only, above mentioned specs belongs to the top end version
Sk8r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 11:01   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCar View Post
It is large, spacious, got an excellent engine and driveability along with good handling and comfort.
Inspite of it being a lightweight car, a Global NCAP ratings of 4 star proves that it is the car which truly punches above its weight.
I think the GNCAP rating is the USP. Otherwise, the ETIOS actually belongs in the same segment as the City, Verna, Ciaz (And Vento/Rapid).

Does it really punch above its weight? The competitors are offering much better quality, engines, features & design. Considering many competitors are not safety rated, that is the one item on which the Etios does well. And typical to Indian market - that particular item of safety sadly doesn't reflect in sales numbers. :(
Old 3rd December 2019, 11:22   #37
BHPian

Punching above its weight. I guess Skoda has done it consistently well in terms of the package they offer.
Old 3rd December 2019, 11:33   #38
BHPian

MS Gypsy King

It should also be on the list. With its off-roading capabilities, it put some very big cars to shame. Due to its low weight and very competent 4WD, it can do wonders.

Cars that punch above their weight in India!-marutisuzukigypsyfrontview48820.jpg

Image source: CarWale

Unfortunately, it has been discontinued. I don't know why MS are delaying the launch of Jimny. It will be a massive, massive hit. I'll buy it blindfoldedly.

Last edited by SmartCat : 3rd December 2019 at 13:05. Reason: Upload images to Team-BHP, do not link to external image.
uditsharma01 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 11:44   #39
BHPian

I think Aspire should be in the initial list.
The sheer amount of features on offer is amazing. 6 airbags, SYNC 3, push button start, and most importantly the 1.5 tdci which makes it the fastest car under a million rupees, barring it's hatchback sibling( acceleration times in some videos vary between 8.5-8.6 seconds, which is really fast for a compact sedan ).

Last edited by SaiSW : 3rd December 2019 at 11:45.
Old 3rd December 2019, 12:29   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCar View Post
Attachment 1941633
Picture source : Autocar India

Do I need to say more about reliability?

As a long term Etios owner (since 2011), I'd disagree. Yes, its a terrific VFM car, with a brilliant, torquey 1.5 litre petrol engine, the NCAP-rating, huge boot and great rear leg room. These features are as good or better than many cars a segment above it.

But there are trade offs in terms of refinement, interiors, ride quality, seat comfort & feature-list. It's not even a segment leader in these, much less matching cars above it.

Again the trade-offs are sensible and make Etios the car to own in it's segment.

But these compromises means that, as a package, its hardly a match for cars like City / Vento / Ciaz. On the other hand, a Superb can give the 5-series a run for its money at about half the price (speaking as someone who has frequently ridden in the back-seat of both).

So in the "spirit" of this thread, I think the Etios packs the biggest punch in it's segment, but doesn't quite reach the segment above.

Last edited by gautam109 : 3rd December 2019 at 12:31. Reason: typo
gautam109 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 12:46   #41
BHPian

From the original list posted i completely agree with Nexon for sure. When we were buying a car back in March, our options were Ecosport, Nexon, Creta, Duster, Kicks etc. We found it difficult to justify the additional money for Creta (almost 3.5-4L for similar features)

Most cars offered 10-15% more than Nexon at nearly 30-40% more price. Finally picked Nexon over others and quite happy with purchase.
If I were to be in the market now, would be seriously confused between Nexon and Seltos. Mostly would have gone with Seltos if the budget permitted.

Last edited by aniyo : 3rd December 2019 at 12:48.
aniyo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 12:50   #42
BHPian

Looks like a lot of us are getting the title wrong! I don't understand how an Eitos makes it to this list!! Absolutely nothing it was punching over its weight!! I mean, it was actually losing out to the lower slung players as well!!
vinair is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 12:58   #43
BHPian

In my opinion, the Tiago JTP fits the bill perfectly, this is the only accessible hot hatch below 10l.
Approx 8l on road gives.
Wonderful response on a turbo engine ( read it's not the engine discussed, but the response)
Stiffer suspension to handle high speed corners.
0 to 100 in less then 10 secs.
All black interiors and
Really good music system.
If I'm not a family man, i would have got this long ago, the major thing it misses is the WAF.
thirumalkumaran is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 13:07   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinair View Post
Looks like a lot of us are getting the title wrong! I don't understand how an Eitos makes it to this list!! Absolutely nothing it was punching over its weight!! I mean, it was actually losing out to the lower slung players as well!!
Exactly my thoughts !

Etios may be a VFM car, but for me it is the one which received the 'punch' (no offence to owners)
Asish_VK is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 13:09   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Well we all have favourite cars and we tend to list them out here. There are a very few cars that punch above their weight and they have been listed here.

Undisputedly Skoda tops the list.

As Crysta 2.8 and Hexa find a position here, I feel Ford endeavour should also get one. It is one terrific go anywhere car with 5 star safety features and a ride quality that can shame many, much expensive cars.

Other worthy mentions
Maruti Gypsy
Force Gurkha

Harrier would have gotten into the list, if only it had a quieter engine and an AT box

Cars like Etios, ciaz, Verna and alto are just vfm, they definitely don't punch above their segment.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 3rd December 2019 at 13:19.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks