Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2020, 12:35   #16
KMT
BHPian

re: Mahindra unveils 130 BHP XUV300 TurboSport. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 10.35 lakh

A welcome move by Mahindra to give more power to the masses.

The Hyundai Venue 1ltr petrol develops 120hp and 175nm, from a power to weight perspective I reckon that it matches the new XUV.

Its a bit of a gokart and my version does not have ESP, I now reckon a peaky engine on a tall vehicle should have ESP. I wish I had got the more specced out model.

I hope Mahindra load the Sportz up with safety kit.
Old 11th February 2020, 13:18   #17
BHPian

re: Mahindra unveils 130 BHP XUV300 TurboSport. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 10.35 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driving80kph View Post
I understand what you mean but I think its deeper than that. Our roads are just not upto the mark for "high performance" cars. People spend hours stuck in bumper to bumper traffic and whenever the cars have a little room to stretch their wings, same people drive like idiots and end up hitting things.
Sorry for going
I see what you are trying but Maruti deserves all the bashing for all their RS models except Baleno (even that wasn’t a good job). They are just fooling people with the hideous stickers or new bumpers just to milk extra money. Look how royally the Swift failed when they came out with Deca and what not.

Another thing is that Maruti probably knows their cars are not safe enough for high performance engines. Imagine Baleno or Brezza having a 130/150 bhp engine, they will literally fly off in wrong hands.

Kudos to Mahindra and Tata for going all guns blazing. The economy game is over and new consumer is slowly moving to safe and AT cars. Even if these cars are not successful now, they will help both the manufacturers in long run.
turbowhistle is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th February 2020, 13:40   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

I have found that power and torque figures put out by Mahindra do not translate that well to real-world speed and acceleration. For example, the XUV300 Diesel supposedly puts out 115 BHP and 300 NM of torque has a 0-100 time of 12.75 seconds. On the other hand, the Ford Ecopsort Diesel with much lower power and torque figures on paper (100 PS, 205 NM) than the XUV, yet the car manages the 0-100 run in 12.5 seconds! Now, where is the almost 50% more torque claimed by Mahindra gone?
84.monsoon is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 11th February 2020, 14:00   #19
BANNED

To all those saying why not call it Ssangyong -- Mahindra did introduce a Ssangyong-badged car (Rexton). It bombed. Everybody has heard of Hyundai. Everybody has heard of Mahindra. Who has heard of Ssangyong? Same reason that SAIC bought the MG name, or, presumably, that Peugeot bought the Ambassador name -- name recall is important. Nobody would buy a SAIC-badged car and, in India, it's possible a Peugeot Ambassador would sell even if it had nothing to do with the original.
rsidd is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 11th February 2020, 14:01   #20
BHPian

7 airbags, dual parking sensors, powerful engine....more and more reasons not to consider the "bigger" Creta or even Seltos, which at THIS price range, offers only 2 airbags, and now the less-than-impressive 1.5 petrol engine making 115 horses.

Damn these companies are really taking advantage of the 4 meter rule... offering stuff that even the 20 lakh variants of Jeep Compass lacks. This makes even more sense to buy top variants of lower segment cars than the sparsely equipped variants of higher segment cars for the same price.

It's not really a "Top Santro or basic i10' question, where people would still consider the less equipped i10 NIOS because of it's superior engine, space, ride etc. These sub-4m crossovers do a much better job of blurring the gap!
If the upcoming Kia Sonet is slightly bigger than the Venue, no doubt it'd make a convincing proposition against it's bigger brother.

Is Maruti Suzuki refraining from offering a 6-airbag, 1.0 Boosterjet variant for the Vitara Brezza, so as to not cannibalise the healthy sales of the Ciaz? That's a shame. Because it falls under 4m, they could equip it so well while keeping prices in check. And maybe they could give it another name, like "S-Cross"...
GipsyDanger is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2020, 15:34   #21
BHPian

Here is a video about the three engines from the mStallion range.
With the current trend, four cylinders engines are now becoming premium!!
Cars with displacement less than 1.5 l are mostly 3 cylinders.

PraNeel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th February 2020, 15:55   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsidd View Post
To all those saying why not call it Ssangyong -- Mahindra did introduce a Ssangyong-badged car (Rexton). It bombed. Everybody has heard of Hyundai. Everybody has heard of Mahindra. Who has heard of Ssangyong? Same reason that SAIC bought the MG name, or, presumably, that Peugeot bought the Ambassador name -- name recall is important. Nobody would buy a SAIC-badged car and, in India, it's possible a Peugeot Ambassador would sell even if it had nothing to do with the original.

Exactly. Ssangyong Rexton bombed so badly that no one knows or remembers this brand outside Rexton owners, their family members and a few car enthusiasts. Which is why I feel they would have done well launching it as a Ssangyong. How many people heard of Kia until 2018? No, I am not talking about teambhpians. Ok, let's leave Kia before you say it's a Hyundai. How many of us had heard of MG before it landed here? Our market is generally unkind to home-grown cars and is very welcoming to foreign brands, even unheard of. Peugeot, Skoda were unheard of in India until they hit our shores and their first offerings were all lapped up. I still feel Korean card would have worked for M&M. And, it is a Korean car. It's not like I am asking them to sell Scorpio as Ssangyong.
pgsagar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th February 2020, 16:33   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
I have found that power and torque figures put out by Mahindra do not translate that well to real-world speed and acceleration. For example, the XUV300 Diesel supposedly puts out 115 BHP and 300 NM of torque has a 0-100 time of 12.75 seconds. On the other hand, the Ford Ecopsort Diesel with much lower power and torque figures on paper (100 PS, 205 NM) than the XUV, yet the car manages the 0-100 run in 12.5 seconds! Now, where is the almost 50% more torque claimed by Mahindra gone?
Can someone explain this? As I can also see in that mstallion video that Mahindra has deployed longer stroke and narrow bore for their new range of petrol engines, which, if I am right, is used in trucks and opposite of racing/performance oriented cars. Even though it can give better torque at low RPMs, will it lead to more frequent gear changes? Why such long stroke narrow bore design is not widely utilized in cars and why is it that Mahindra has decided to go ahead with that? Are they planning for only low end torque for better off-roading which would result in a bad outright highway performance?
petrol_power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2020, 16:40   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrol_power View Post
Can someone explain this? As I can also see in that mstallion video that Mahindra has deployed longer stroke and narrow bore for their new range of petrol engines...
This sort of long stroke, long bore engine design is what Royal Enfield have so far used in their Unit Construction Engine (UCE) equipped motorcycles (though I have no idea what kind of engine their newer offerings such as the Continental GT or the Himalayan have). And yes, such engines do tend to have better low-end torque. Having better low-end torque would obviate the necessity to downshift when speeds drop down.
locusjag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th February 2020, 21:00   #25
BHPian

So is this the turbocharged petrol engine that is going to replace the ecoboost in Ford. I remember reading something like this last year, when they announced their collaboration. If it happens, then it will be a good combination of engine and chassis, performance and handling that could both go hand in hand.
blueeyed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2020, 21:09   #26
Senior - BHPian

any idea of the launch date of this? especially the 6 speed AT?
Old 12th February 2020, 06:19   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrol_power View Post
Can someone explain this?
Does 0.25 second difference really count in the real world? It could be anything, from the driver inputs regarding gearshift to even road undulations to which the suspension and wheels reapond. There are so many instances where I have seen a Wagon R overtake my Polo GT TSi at low speeds , starting from say 10-50 kph, on single lane roads. Doesnt mean a thing to me because the Polo GT TSi can do stuff which no car in the current Maruti stable can really do well, cruise effortlessly at high speeds with great dynamic poise. Would also like to add my Linea TJet vs Honda City experience. I get the sense that the City is better than the TJet at putting down its 119 ps on the road in almost all speed regimes like 0-60,40-80, 80-120 kph. And this with 4 adults and baggage. The only time it can get bogged down largely due to CVT is slowing down from 60-20 and then accelerating . Even so, the Linea did not feel significantly faster. Where it did feel better was in the 120 plus range - it had better ride dynamics. But its not a zone that is to be entered into on a sustained basis for safety reasons.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 12th February 2020 at 06:31.
fhdowntheline is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 07:19   #28
BHPian

I think the under square nature of the mStallion engine suits the Mahindra product portfolio of only UVs where you would want torque lower in the Rev range and also one is not expected to Rev it till the red line everytime, unlike in a performance oriented sedan/hatch.
Old 12th February 2020, 07:20   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Does 0.25 second difference really count in the real world?
Sir, you took the discussion off the topic. The OP's query was simply on where does the extra 95Nm go on the XUV300 vs the EcoSport's 205Nm. I think it's because of:
1. Smaller turbo on the EcoSport, so the initial lag is minimal. I have the Fiesta with the same engine, can vouch for this,
2. Gearbox on the TDCi is slick shifting and tuned for the engine.
3. Clutch travel is precise and not long at all unlike on the XUV300.

Where the XUV300 may be better is at the illegal speeds. I would choose Ford's or Renault's 1.5 diesels above Mahindra's 1.5 that might have good numbers on the paper but doesn't translate to as good performance or Tata's 1.5 that is noisier with a poor top end. For me, the EcoSport is still the benchmark in the segment for being the best driver's car overall.
itsashishsharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 07:38   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

The specs of both engines of the XUV300 have always been best in class, especially for the diesel. This is surprising as the claimed numbers are significantly higher than even benchmark engines like Hyundai’s 1.6 CRDI on the Elantra and Creta. And then, XUV’s real world performance numbers aren’t correspondingly better than the lower powered competition.

Is it at all possible that Mahindra is quoting the power and torque figures at crank and not at wheel? This will straightaway give it a bonus of 20-25% by foregoing transmission loss from the claimed numbers. Has anyone dynoed the XUV300?

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 12th February 2020 at 07:39.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed