Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2020, 18:25   #16
BHPian

Re: What 3 rules would you want added to the Motor Vehicles Act?

Ensure that those who are permitted to drive / ride know and demonstrate that they know the rules of the road.

Enforce the rules of the road and firmly punish, with no exceptions.
swissknife is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 18:27   #17
Team-BHP Support

- All present laws to be implemented strictly
- All cops to wear body cameras compulsorily, and footage to be shared in case of a dispute.
Eddy is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 13th February 2020, 00:26   #18
BHPian

Moral policing on traffic rules is very common all are busy in preaching others to follow rules.
What i would suggest here is Patrolling Traffic cops who intercept the vehicle which break law.
These squad should be very user friendly :
By using very humble vehicles (like a scooter, maybe a electric scooter)
Have permission to intercept , not chase.
Have permission to interrogate and give warnings, No spot fine/penalty.
A go-pro on helmet and a collar mic would be enough equipment.

The idea is for better bonding of traffic police and public and reduce road rages,stress.

This is not rule , but a better way of implementing existing rule
Shamegz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2020, 03:54   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
- All present laws to be implemented strictly
- All cops to wear body cameras compulsorily, and footage to be shared in case of a dispute.
Totally agree on the body cameras. This in itself will resolve both sides of the violation to a large extent.

Others

1. Fine for blocking / impeding traffic. This should include public transport. It's a menace on the ring road in Bangalore and each bus parked in parallel just adds to the already existing chaos. I find it hard to imagine they can't roll a broken down bus down the bridge 50 meters to a wider place instead of letting it be in the middle of the congested road with a twig on its side.

2. Heavy fines for speaking on mobile phones while driving. I can maybe agree it's ok if the driver has a hands-free device but overall, it's dangerous and crazy, especially bikers.

3. Fine for slow driving - this is especially for autos and load vehicles riding the fast lane. Post minimum speed limit and warn drivers to move left if they are not keeping the speed.

Mad Max is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th February 2020, 10:09   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I would want only one = STIFF FINES & PENALTIES for breaking traffic rules. Stringent enforcement is what is curing the drunk driving problem in Bombay, making everyone stick to the speed limits on the Sealink & JJ Flyover (both have high-speed potential) and even respect zebra crossings.

Strong fines & rigorous enforcement act as effective deterrents in developed countries too (e.g. USA).

Related Thread (The Lawless Lands: Indian road discipline is going from bad to worse!)
I fully concur with you on stiff and heavy fines. But, there is a lack of willingness on the political side for the obvious reasons. Look at what happened when the increased fines were approved by the central govt. and many state governments (some even from the same party) rolled back them. Why create such toothless rules which cannot be implemented?

While we are on this topic, here are few rules from my side which should be either introduced or strictly enforced:

Always on LED taillights for commercial vehicles
These should be placed at a higher position. Most of the trucks plying on highways accumulate so much dust and muck that their tail lights are not visible (if they are not broken). In some cases, the taillights are either broken or not working. The reason being that the lights are bulb based which has a limited life and nobody bothers to change them afterwards. LED lights have longer shelf life and can be installed in tight spots and most importantly they are quite bright even in daylight. A truck without a tail lamp on the highway is a perfect recipe for disaster.

Make compulsory for bicycles to have a headlight and tail light
I see many bikers riding on poorly illuminated roads without any headlamp/taillamp on their bikes. That's not only dangerous for others, but it's also really dangerous for themselves. A headlamp and a taillamp for a bicycle do not cost much. In fact, the government should enforce the bicycle manufacturers to provide the headlamp and taillamp with every bike sold by them.
vroom_vroom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2020, 10:23   #21
BHPian

I would like these 3 rules:

1. Follow the existing rules.
2. Follow the existing rules.
3. Follow the existing rules.

If the above three are followed, the traffic situation will improve by leaps and bounds.
Bh.P is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th February 2020, 10:48   #22
Team-BHP Support

I would say stringent ENFORCEMENT of traffic rules is a must but should also go hand in hand with functioning civic infrastructure. i.e. footpaths actually available to pedestrians and being in a walkable state. The streets not being overtaken entirely by vendors, etc.

I find it exasperating that while vehicles have a 10,000 INR fine from the BMC for mis-parking, the same spot can brazenly be occupied by street vendors with no real consequence. The same goes for illegal parking by unionized folks like tempos and cabs.
Axe77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2020, 10:52   #23
BHPian

The two rules that comes to my mind and something that needs no additional cost at all are:
1) Ensure that the vehicles travelling on the roads have working signal indicators.
Things like faulty or missing headlights/tail-lights and broken/missing turn indicators should be penalised

2) External Rear View mirrors to be kept open during the entire time the vehicle is moving. These can be closed once the vehicle is stationary/switched off. A lot of times accidents occur due to the driver keeping the rear view mirrors flapped in (closed) and thereby missing the action happening behind him/her and abruptly changing lanes leading to crashes.

Believe Rule (2) above is there but is not enforced.
maverick.munish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2020, 10:55   #24
BHPian

Too many laws are going to be a problem for the LAW ENFORCEMENT MECHANISM and sure there are corrections through technology that could ensure that everyone is safe on the road.

Alongside the law, Pavlov's classical conditioning is what is required for a safe and peaceful driving experience on the road

For example, just check this video released by the Mumbai Police in an effort to curb noise pollution, 2 years ago

And then, this is the latest effort of Mumbai Police

Law has a very long arm, but it takes an equally longer time to create an utopian society.

Even as the debate on law enforcement is raging like ever before, new technologies are ensuring that there is an ensuing peace.

The Uber / Ola tech offering has been helping us and even as that is yielding to human pressures, the AI based driverless tech is knocking at the door. While the law is stagnant with it's prescriptions that were considered as a panacea for the bygone eras, technology and applied human psychology working in tandem could only be the solution for the erring human codes of conduct.

An automobile in the hands of a freak driver and the law in the hands of an unscrupulous officer are all capable of hurting humanity badly and what we need right now is TECHNICAL APPLICATION OF SAFETY AS PER THE BASIC LAWS OF PEACE & SAFETY
JEHU is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2020, 10:57   #25
BHPian

Mine would be an all encompassing "stick to your lane" rule with pretty steep fines/DL suspension.

Most of our problems stem for not following this. Incessant changing lanes if the driver in front of you is marginally slower would be the one thing I want changed in our roads. And as someone posted in a different thread, our traffic flows like a fluid. If there is a gap, there will be 2 motorcycles, an auto and a car plugging it. Sort of like how I imagine wall st. types pounce on an arbitrage opportunity.

Speaking of lanes, why don't most of the roads have lane markings? Did they use up the paint budget on the tar?
sramanat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2020, 11:28   #26
BHPian

I would like to see the following happen:

1. Emission testing should be made random. In its current form, it is only a certificate which can be manipulated at any testing center. Instead, the enforcement authorities should be armed with properly calibrated equipment which can test emissions on the spot.

2. The authorities should be armed to take down vehicles which are actively doing things (doing stunts on roads, going the wrong way) which can cause serious risk to law abiding road users. Even if that means injuring a few of these offenders initially, I think that will eventually make roads safer for everyone.

3. In case of an accident, do a proper investigation and put the blame on the person who caused the accident instead of blaming the larger vehicle.
KL01toKA03 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th February 2020, 11:47   #27
BHPian

I think we all agree that strict enforcement is paramount, but that can only be done with people who are driving on the roads.

How about having stricter scrutiny when you first apply for D/L? Good knowledge of the traffic rules, understanding road signs, giving way to pedestrians, is where the problem can be nipped in the bud. Same to be tested when applying for renewal of D/L.

, I had once accidentally started to cross the zebra line after the light for crossing turned Red, in Busan ( South Korea). It was my fault as I was looking at my phone for directions. The complete traffic on 4 lanes stopped to allow me to cross. I always quote this incident to people, and wonder how and where I would have ended up doing this in Delhi (probably on the next red light).

As long as blind people can get licenses made in a day, things will not change. Civic sense / traffic sense / education at lower levels should be considered.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 13th February 2020 at 11:50. Reason: Smileys = 2 per post.
Old_Salt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2020, 11:54   #28
Senior - BHPian

Some changes which I want.

1. A mandatory dashcam (government approved) provided by the manufacturer and recorded in a secure device (something like the blackbox on planes). This will safeguard the interest of safe drivers and immediately solve the accident problems. I know I am asking for more.

2. High beam should not be allowed in cities.

3. Modifications like carrier, bumper, etc. should be openly allowed after the items are certified by the Government.

4. Mandatory child seats with isofix.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2020, 11:59   #29
BHPian

Important one this is not an additional rule by itself, but i wanted to add this anyway. Heavy and I repeat H-E-A-V-Y fines for the speeding buses. This is a nuisance especially in Kerala. These absolute lowlifes think they own the roads and can bully others out of their lanes. The police always maintain a stand that they are cracking down on speeding buses, but this is usually after a major accident - like buses running over bikes or other motorists or autos carrying school children etc. which evokes a public outrage , and this heightened state of action by the police only lasts for a few days, after which everything comes back to normal.

I, myself almost got wrecked last week when a speeding private bus came in, in a blind turn, overtaking a slow moving lorry. Absolute *** scoundrel, almost killed me.

My real opinion about these criminals might involve colourful language, so I am stopping my rant for now.

Last edited by SaiSW : 13th February 2020 at 12:10.
SaiSW is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th February 2020, 12:03   #30
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest rules for the road planners and the government:

No gaps/crossings in medians before at least 1km in cities and 3 km on highways
A lot of times you see traffic jams in cities due to people blocking the lane as they want to turn using the gap in the median. That's fine as long as it is well marked and it has a proper lane for making the turns. However we not only miss out on this, we also have to many of these gaps within small stretches. This will also make people plan their route so that they are on the correct side of the road for stopping rather than relying on these risky antics.
Street light visibility and functionality to be non-compromisable
Many a times, road signs are covered by trees or a traffic light is installed in a corner of the road rather than in a visible location. And then there are times when we see campaign posters stuck on road signs with street names etc.
Challans and penalties for state transport vehicles
When was the last time you saw a bus pull in at a bus stop in a FIFO fashion?
Do you think all law enforcement vehicles get their PUC done like us folks?
Tgo is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks