Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2020, 22:50   #1
BHPian

What 3 rules would you want added to the Motor Vehicles Act?

As Team-BHP.com is regarded as a definitive and most prestigious community of Auto-Enthusiast and Vehicle Media Enterprise in the country there are millions of people who read our forums and work acccordingly in making the Indian Car Scene more secured, reliable, fun and consumer friendly.
(The most recent example is seen in the New 2020 Tata Harrier where it felt as if Tata ironed the Harrier while reading the Team-BHP review and forum discussion).

As a TEAM, together we have a so much riding, driving & road experience that we can circle the earth a million times.
So lets put that into use and as we enjoy the cult status, its our responsibility to maintain a Safe and Civilian friendly road environment.
So lets discuss on how we can make our roads, vehicle, pedestrians and cabin occupants safer by suggesting 3 inexpensive rules which you think should be added in the Motor Vehicles Act.

With the deeper and significant reach of TEAM-BHP Forums, I'm quite assured that someone from the ministry will shortly be reading this thread and might incorporate some of our inputs.

Rules are simple
1) They should be inexpensive (less than Rs. 1000 if its a owner based modification/implementation ).
2) Lets not focus on building new infrastructure (like pan-India separate lanes for trucks) but devise out the best with current infrastructure & resources.

Here are my 3 rules

1- Bigger and well positioned display of Registration Number on Commercial Vehicles

While travelling on Indian Highways or Expressways, you must have seen some beautifully decorated trucks. But what's usually difficult to read on those trucks are the Registration Number plates, mostly hidden under collision protection rods, or if they are well positioned they are mostly covered with dust.

Solution - Paint the registration Number before your ART.
with dimension of each character being 0.5 ft x 0.5ft.
This will cost around Rs. 200 - 500, but will be a great solution for police (in case of hit & run), people and everyone on road to easily identify a commercial vehicle.

What 3 rules would you want added to the Motor Vehicles Act?-1.jpg
What 3 rules would you want added to the Motor Vehicles Act?-2.jpg

2- Driver and permanent occupant's quick medical history form .

It should be made mandatory for the driver and optional for occupants of the vehicle to carry a self filled document which have basic/emergency contact and health related information (like Blood Group, Diabetic condition, Respiratory disorders, Hearing and Visual disorders etc).
This will be so helpful for a doctor or paramedic team in case of an unfortunate accident.
(I've seen few cases in which the blood group column of driving license was blank, that should be checked and corrected as well).

What 3 rules would you want added to the Motor Vehicles Act?-6013a920bb22aa3ff40e6e6487a0edc50.jpeg

3- Children below 12 years should always be seated on the rear bench of vehicles.

With ISOFIX Child seat mounts becoming a mandatory safety feature in newer Indian cars, emphasis should be given on making people purchase good quality child seats for children below 10-12 years of age.
(It is preferred to fix the child seat facing rear up-till the age of 2)
And if the child is in between 12-16 years of age it should be mandatory for parents/guardians to make them sit in the rear seats of car.
Absolutely NO front seats or laps for children.

Name:  VS_cps_share_image20189.png
Views: 6810
Size:  281.8 KB

http://https://www.cdc.gov/motorvehi....html#tabs-1-4

Hoping that together we will focus on bringing out the best driving and riding environment in India.

Thanks.

(Moderator please move the thread if it's in the wrong section).
Octane99 is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 10:29   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: What 3 rules would you want added to the Motor Vehicles Act?

I would want only one = STIFF FINES & PENALTIES for breaking traffic rules. Stringent enforcement is what is curing the drunk driving problem in Bombay, making everyone stick to the speed limits on the Sealink & JJ Flyover (both have high-speed potential) and even respect zebra crossings.

Strong fines & rigorous enforcement act as effective deterrents in developed countries too (e.g. USA).

Related Thread (The Lawless Lands: Indian road discipline is going from bad to worse!)
GTO is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 10:34   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I would want only one = STIFF FINES & PENALTIES for breaking traffic rules. Stringent enforcement is what is curing the drunk driving problem in Bombay
Equally importantly, the same or higher fines on law enforcement personnel if they are blind to traffic violations which are happening in front of their eyes and within sniffing distance of them, while they chill at the corner of the intersection not even batting a eyelid towards the chaos ensuing in front of them. Once in while I do see a policeman doing an honest day's work, trying his best to regulate traffic or catch law breakers, but the ante has to be upped way way higher with higher and stricter enforcement.

Unless there is relentless enforcement of traffic rules and penalties imposed and collected, nothing will change in India. Once a new rule and penalty is announced, everyone is wary and careful, waiting for someone else to flout the rule anyways. Once the first person throws normative behaviour to the wind does it, there are a stream of followers to break the same rules, in most cases with impunity.
arindambasu13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 11:41   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry but I don't wish for yet more laws to be created. I wish for existing laws and rules to be enforced with an iron hand.

In 2019, Mr.Gadkari's Ministry of Road Transport & Highways (MoRTH) had floated the idea of roving highway patrol cars manned by ex-servicemen who'd be wearing body-cameras and documenting traffic violations on their dashcams. The MoRTH had said that they had identified the most accident-prone highways in which to implement the highway patrolling. This, in my opinion, is the way to go. I hope they get a budget and clearance to really implement this - and soon!
locusjag is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 11:52   #5
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Maharashtra & most other states are yet to implement the Motor Vehicles (Amendment) Act,2019 ! Let the existing law be enforced first.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/73126116.cms
PPS is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 11:57   #6
BHPian

While I don't disagree that we would need more stringent rules to come in, to ensure road discipline, it is also perhaps equally important to create an environment for compliance especially when it comes to road quality, lane markings, signages, and traffic signals.

Of course it could end up being a chicken and egg debate, but most of our roads especially in cities are just not built and marked scientifically. Lanes that end or reduce width abruptly without warning, no lane markings at all in most cases, unmarked speed breakers, hidden or non-existent signages, traffic signals that are not designed scientifically ( taking into consideration the traffic flow patterns ) , the list is long.

I believe when you have properly designed roads and signages, it has at least some positive impact on traffic behaviour, apart from reducing unsafe incidents.

So I guess both need to be done. Rules have to be stringent, and penalties have to be enforced too, but equal importance should be given in creating and maintaining the right infrastructure.

Local bodies or govt departments that manage and maintain roadways will have to be penalized when accidents happen because of faulty roads or faulty design ( i dont think they are difficult to identify ). For some reason only the drivers are targeted most of the time. The road culture has to be built collectively. its a long journey, but things can definitely improve.

I don't know if my observation is correct here, but when I visited Kozhikode recently, i found some exceptionally well marked new roads , and the traffic behaviour too seemed to be slightly better on those roads. ( perhaps my biased mind, but there is some connection for sure.)
Bigzero is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 12:20   #7
BHPian

I would love to see the following amendments
- Streamlined and rigorous driver's licensing process. This must reduce issuing license to people who barely know to drive. (This must act in sync with my second point where driving without license must attract strong fines) This may also reduce some vehicle on road.

- Heavy fines on rules breaking. A law on headlight high beam usage is necessary or fines. High beam just blinds the oncoming drivers.
However in the past we have seen protests on implementing strong fines. We love to make mistakes and pay fine rather than stop making mistake.

- Transparent commercial vehicle fitness certification process and provisions to seize the vehicle on the street which do not abide to the fitness regulations. Today there are trucks and buses which are deemed fit on document and running without proper lights and tail lamps, harsh horns, almost ready to explode poor tire conditions, no safety guards on sides and rear etc.
UB_007 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 12:29   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB_007 View Post
I would love to see the following amendments
- Streamlined and rigorous driver's licensing process. This must reduce issuing license to people who barely know to drive. (This must act in sync with my second point where driving without license must attract strong fines) This may also reduce some vehicle on road.
I would like to add one point here. Adding extra category for the Automatic and manual cars for driver's license. We have differentiation in bikes but not in cars this is needed and should be added.
nisshith is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 13:03   #9
BHPian

I agree completely with the fact that we need significantly better enforcement, which by using technology can be quite easily achieved!

I'm not sure about the costs, but would recommend cancellation of license, hefty fines and mandatory nominal imprisonment (not kidding) for the following offences:

1. Driving on pavements and walkways

2. Using mobile phones while driving or crossing roads

3. Crossing signals out of turn
pannags is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 13:35   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

The rules that are already there, are neither being followed, nor understood, nor enforced. Adding more rules would simply mean, more people would violate rules.

That said, there are quite a few rules (and penalties associated with violating them) that are absent from the MV Act:
1. Following lane markings, and turning / overtaking on specific lanes.
2. Using indicators before making a turn / changing lanes.
3. Not using high beams or auxiliary spot lamps/driving lamps in proximity to another vehicle.
4. Using seat belts in the rear seat, and usage of child seats.
5. Not driving under the influence of psychotropic/narcotic drugs (not just alcohol).
6. Having working lights, including brake lights, parking lights, indicators and headlights.
7. Not using wrong / worn-out tyres.
8. Limiting the number of hours a commercial driver can operate a vehicle without a break.
9. Using safety vests (reflector vests) and warning triangles when changing tyres, or for a broken-down car.
10. Limiting the displacement / power of vehicles that a person under a certain age can be allowed to drive.
SS-Traveller is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 14:39   #11
Senior - BHPian

- I want the number plates to be supplied by the state. No creativity allowed.
- Vanity plate belonging to the user & not the car
- Transponder based vehicle identification. Extra credit if it can be integrated into an 'inline' toll system
sridhu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 14:45   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
The rules that are already there, are neither being followed, nor understood, nor enforced. Adding more rules would simply mean, more people would violate rules.

That said, there are quite a few rules (and penalties associated with violating them) that are absent from the MV Act:
Wow, I had no idea that some of these rules are absent today!
Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 14:48   #13
Senior - BHPian

A Single (IND) Registration for the entire Nation.

Last edited by payeng : 12th February 2020 at 14:50.
payeng is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 17:25   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I would want only one = STIFF FINES & PENALTIES for breaking traffic rules.
I agree, enforcement is the key. They increased fines and penalties 5x to 10x in Sep 2019 and 6 months later we have a thread that cries about lawless roads.

A metaphor: what is the point in adjusting equalizer when the volume knob is all the way down at zero.

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 12th February 2020 at 17:30.
Thermodynamics is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 17:30   #15
BHPian

Seatbelts compulsory for all the occupants in a car is something that I think should be implemented ASAP and should be looked upon by cops and hefty fines if any occupant is found not wearing one. Similarly, helmet for rider as well as pillion on 2 wheelers should be mandatory.

Shouldn't there be a fine for pedestrians walking on road despite of footpaths being present?

Last edited by Neeraj1903 : 12th February 2020 at 17:33.
Neeraj1903 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks