Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2020, 09:06   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Rumour: Tata Harrier 1.5L turbo-petrol might be coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Why is this slightly downsized to 1500cc? The Nexon 3 pot engine is a 1.2, so the 4 cylinder version should be a proper 1.6.
Puts the car in a lower tax / excise duty bracket. Also the reason why Hyundai / Kia moved to 1.5L engines (from the earlier 1.6L petrol & diesel).
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th March 2020, 10:35   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Tata Harrier Petrol SUV Spied ?

Rumour: Tata Harrier 1.5L turbo-petrol might be coming-2020tataharrierpetrolbs6spiedtestfirsttime3.jpg

Rumour: Tata Harrier 1.5L turbo-petrol might be coming-2020tataharrierpetrolbs6spiedtestfirsttime4.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th March 2020, 10:53   #18
Senior - BHPian

I thought their internal sources said the engine hasn't even been fired for the first time? So what is powering this emission test rig?
Nithesh_M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2020, 21:19   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Puts the car in a lower tax / excise duty bracket. Also the reason why Hyundai / Kia moved to 1.5L engines (from the earlier 1.6L petrol & diesel).
I doubt that since Harrier , Creta and Seltos are all longer than 4m and do not qualify for the 1.5 diesel tax breaks
JishD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2020, 21:47   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Tata Harrier Petrol
Guys this is just a normal diesel BS6 prototype. Turbo petrol is still atleast a couple of years away. There is no need to speculate by posting photos of different prototypes because there is still a lot of time till the petrol ones start running on our roads.
ram87pune is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 11th March 2020, 23:04   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Once again, a publication is wrong and ram87pune is right.

Not a single testbed is allocated for petrol as of today, as per a very reliable source from directly inside the plant.

Plus, a GDI engine isn't this easy for Tata to develop quickly, who had a history of struggling with even MPFI engines. And, the Harrier will supposedly carry a T-GDI engine!

Even fast-tracking this petrol option's development will take at least a full year.

On a side note, a 3-cylinder T-GDI is also under development as we speak. Not sure which future Tata car will carry it under it's hood. I am guessing it might be for the Hornbill.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 11th March 2020 at 23:05. Reason: typo.
RavenAvi is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 14th March 2020, 18:15   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
On a side note, a 3-cylinder T-GDI is also under development as we speak. Not sure which future Tata car will carry it under it's hood. I am guessing it might be for the Hornbill.
How different will this engine be from the existing 3 cylinder ones in Nexon, Tiago / Tigor JTPs? Tata also has a 4 cylinder turbocharged petrol in Bolt / Zest. What is the necessity to develop so many engines of same capacity? Maruti has one K-Series family catering to all its models. When will Tata see ROI from all these engines?
vshankarhere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2020, 11:25   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post
I have already mentioned this long back that Harrier petrol is NOT coming before 2022.

Why do they even bother developing an ICE engine in 22? by that time, wouldn't most of the fleet would anyway be moving to electric?
shobhit.shri is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2020, 14:41   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shobhit.shri View Post
Why do they even bother developing an ICE engine in 22? by that time, wouldn't most of the fleet would anyway be moving to electric?
By 2022, literally nothing would have moved to electric powertrain, although some movement would be seen.
aditya79india is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th March 2020, 11:53   #25
BHPian

carenthusiast is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2020, 14:30   #26
BHPian

He says " it is under development" and will take time. He also talks about right time for everything. I am sure by the time the engine is ready for use ( does not looks like in another 2 years at least) , Market would have moved ahead to Electric.
Roadster17 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 18:04   #27
Senior - BHPian

Here is an interview with Tata Motors head of marketing Mr. Vivek Srivatsa. The interview seems to be taken on the eve of Harrier BS6 media drive event at JW Marriott Pune.

A few observations from my side

1. Not in this interview and the one with Mr Petkar at the Auto Expo, there is any clear mention of a timeline for the launch of the Harrier turbo petrol. Still Hormazd published that it will launch before diwali this year. Strange.

2. At the launch of the Altroz,Nexon EV and even at the HBX stall with Mr Petkar, there is a mention of 5 star safety rating of the aforementioned cars. But when it comes to the Harrier no one ever talks about the safety rating. You know where I am going with this.

3. The major reason that Tata is altogether discontinuing the 140 bhp tune is to avoid clutter on the assembly line and have just one variant of the engine for both the Harrier and the Gravitas.

4. Also according to my sources, this turbo petrol is proving to be quite expensive and it is very likely that it will be priced at par with the diesel when its launched in around 2 years time.

Last edited by ram87pune : 18th March 2020 at 18:07.
ram87pune is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th March 2020, 13:45   #28
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post
A few observations from my side

4. Also according to my sources, this turbo petrol is proving to be quite expensive and it is very likely that it will be priced at par with the diesel when its launched in around 2 years time.
Yeah, and their latest article now says this:
Quote:
A 1.5-litre, four-cylinder petrol engine – a derivative of the 1.2-litre, three-cylinder Revotron petrol – is in the works for the Harrier but that won’t come for another two years. Srivatsa added how with a petrol engine, it’s key to strike a balance between fuel efficiency and performance befitting an SUV of the Harrier's size.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster17 View Post
He says " it is under development" and will take time. He also talks about right time for everything. I am sure by the time the engine is ready for use ( does not looks like in another 2 years at least) , Market would have moved ahead to Electric.
There's still some time for SUVs the size of Harrier to go full electric, world over, automakers were in a conundrum about where to put their R&D investments and efforts, unexpected external factors like Corona pandemic now and the not so stable regulatory policies, automakers are in for a tough ride.

Last edited by wheelguy : 19th March 2020 at 13:51.
wheelguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 15:15   #29
BHPian

Saw this article today that states that the petrol Harrier may be launched by end of this year!

https://indianauto.com/news/tata-har...os-nid7437/amp

I would take this with a pinch of salt though.

Reportedly a 1.5 litre engine with 150 horses. Paddle shifters may be on offer as well.
Shreyas_H is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 18:44   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas_H View Post
Saw this article today that states that the petrol Harrier may be launched by end of this year!

https://indianauto.com/news/tata-har...os-nid7437/amp
This is a welcome news. I know many people who have gone ahead with Creta just because of Harrier not having a petrol engine. If they can include few minor things like rear disc brakes, front parking sensor and some gizmos, Creta / Seltos will start having sleepless nights. Harrier is a commendable product and petrol version will also cut the price by a 1 lac or so.
ShankarG is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks