Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2021, 18:44   #76
BHPian

Re: Advice Needed | Buy a new car now or wait for improvement in the Covid situation

There is no right or wrong answer to your query, unfortunately. It all depends on the urgency and also the any other considerations on your personal front.

The key questions you need to answer:

- Do you need a new car immediately based on your current and possible usage if 3rd wave occurs?
- Do you already have a car which you can extend for few months?
- Are there any risks from finance perspective which will increase if 3rd wave occurs?

I postponed my new car purchase by one year due to pandemic and just when I finalized my plans in March 2021, the 2nd wave erupted and within few weeks the situation changed dramatically. I thought of postponing again, but went ahead with my purchase thinking how long I shall wait.

If you are not in hurry, then you can wait for few months. With vaccination drive, there is a hope that things will stabilize in few months. However there is no guarantee that we won't have more waves post 3rd wave. In countries like UK, where the vaccination % is higher than India, 3rd wave has already started. Also, when you will be about to put your money, the 4th wave may be already on the horizon! COVID has brought so much uncertainty that its very difficult to predict what will happen after couple of months.

Last edited by varman742 : 22nd June 2021 at 18:59.
varman742 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2021, 18:58   #77
Senior - BHPian

Re: Advice Needed | Buy a new car now or wait for improvement in the Covid situation

If you think there would be an upgrade to the car you are planning to buy, then it's good to wait. Otherwise, I would suggest to get vaccinated, pick up your new car and start driving. I think during the third wave, people with vaccination certificates would definitely be allowed to move around more freely than the general population.
Raghu M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2021, 22:12   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varman742 View Post

The key questions you need to answer:

- Do you need a new car immediately based on your current and possible usage if 3rd wave occurs?
- Do you already have a car which you can extend for few months?
- Are there any risks from finance perspective which will increase if 3rd wave occurs?
1) My usage has been high. My family have been going back and forth from Gurgaon to Chandigarh. Since my Innova has completed ten years, it is not allowed to enter NCR. That is why we have been looking forward for to buy the new Innova to aid us in travelling.

2) We also have a Honda City, but we haven't driven it that much. The other day when we did the first highway trip after a very long time, the car suffered a tire burst as we hadn't really driven it in a months.

3) I can't predict that, but for now I don't think there is any risk from finance perspective.

Thank you everyone for your inputs, we have decided to sit back for sometime and observe the covid situation for two or three months more. We don't want the car to be sitting idle; Hence, would go ahead with the purchase only after we seek some clarity behind the current and the future covid situations in the country.
Old 22nd June 2021, 22:56   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolHead2272 View Post
Thank you everyone for your inputs, we have decided to sit back for sometime and observe the covid situation for two or three months more. We don't want the car to be sitting idle; Hence, would go ahead with the purchase only after we seek some clarity behind the current and the future covid situations in the country.
Pragmatic decision
It makes sense to buy a new car when you know you are going to drive it.

The sad part is that this is one of the travails of staying in NCR with a bad policy formulated by idiots parading as subject matter experts.

One of the downsides of the policy is that if you are not driving your new car, you are incurring a higher cost for a standing car since the car is going to be with you for 10 year period. And all of this comes on top of the fact that you are forced to buy a new car itself due to the idiotic policy. It's kind of a circular debt scenario where we are just being churned.
headbanger is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th June 2021, 09:00   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1) My usage has been high. My family have been going back and forth from Gurgaon to Chandigarh. Since my Innova has completed ten years, it is not allowed to enter NCR. .....We also have a Honda City, but we haven't driven it that much. The other day when we did the first highway trip after a very long time, the car suffered a tire burst as we hadn't really driven it in a months.
Would suggest keeping your existing Innova and if you can use the City for your travel.

Please get new tires for the City and keep them inflated at the correct pressure. Drive the car once a week for 15-20 minutes in your street so that the tires don't develop flat spots.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2021, 09:20   #81
BHPian

Re: Buy a car now or wait for Coronavirus to pass?

Toyota is notorious for not offering big discounts even in the Covid situation because the demand for certain models like the Innova is pretty solid.

I think the waves are going to keep coming and going, therefore just delaying the car purchase due to a potential wave doesn't make too much sense to me. If you have the right deal for both your outgoing and upcoming car, I would say go for it without thinking too much.

However, I would advise you to keep in mind the delivery timeframe of the car. If for example, they are stating a waiting period of around 2 months which implies delivery in August during the predicted 3rd wave, then it would make more sense to wait. I know this sounds like somewhat of a cheap tactic but customer hesitancy due to the 3rd wave can also help squeeze out that last bit of discounts from dealers.

All the best and hope to see a new Toyota Innova ownership review from your side on TeamBHP soon!
AKSarkar1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2021, 10:41   #82

Hi Namit and Fellow BHPians,
This is my first post and would like to share my experience. I have been second owner of used Honda city zx2006 since 2010 (almost 11 years now) and was itching to upgrade to a 7 seater since last year. Finally after waiting for alcazar (which did not appeal due to less space in 2nd and 3rd row) and checking out safari,hector plus and giving up on xuv700, I booked innova crysta zx diesel manual in this week, took insurance and extended warranty from dealer and got free accessories worth 40k. They are not offering any cash or exchange bonus discounts but I was satisfied with the deal.
tchintan2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2021, 15:03   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSarkar1 View Post

All the best and hope to see a new Toyota Innova ownership review from your side on TeamBHP soon!
The best part about buying a car if you are part of team-BHP is that you get to write an ownership review.
Will surely be writing one as soon as I make the purchase. For now, cases of the new covid variant have started to arise all of a sudden. So, maybe we are aiming to get the car during fall season, during September end or October.
PetrolHead2272 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2021, 15:55   #84
BHPian

These are the first hand feelings of someone with 2 cars in the initial 3 years of ownership, lying idle due to Covid -

1. If your daily running is not reduced by Covid - then sure go ahead with your purchase.
2. But if your daily running has reduced due to Covid - think of the following factors before buying a new vehicle -
  • Car Warranty
    All manufacturers provides duration based warranty. So if your running is reduced you are not fully using the warranty option. More is the running of your car better is the warranty utilization. It is could lead to a possibly faulty part going undetected in warranty period(due to lesser running) and then costing a bomb after warranty ends.
  • Car Insurance
    0 dep insurance & add-on covers like Engine protection etc. is provided only for initial years(usually 3 or 5) of car's ownership. Again these covers are best utilized with maximum running of the car. The premium is a waste for a car with lesser running.
  • Car Service
    For keeping the warranty valid - the car needs to go through all time based(every 1 year) services regularly. The service is better justified if the car has covered more KMs during the service intervals.

So do keep these points in mind before buying a new car in the Covid situation.
ank.nsit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th June 2021, 17:15   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Since many doctors/experts have predicted another covid wave, should we go ahead and buy the car right now (by August)?
or
Should we wait for the third Covid wave to die down (that would probably be end of this year or start of next year) and then buy the car?
If the finances are alright and the purchase will definitely be done this year, I don't really see any difference buying in August or December. And goes without saying, don't wait till March next year or postpone for a whole year. Innova prices will only go up and never down. And forget about year end discounts.

But then, longer the waiting, sweeter it will be.
Here is a message that BHPian @daretodream shared, soothed him as he was anxious to get delivery. Perfect reply from the company itself for your question.

Buy a car now or wait for Coronavirus to pass?-will-still-unmatched.jpg

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5071207 (Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review)
DicKy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2021, 18:13   #86
BHPian

Quote:
The car we have decided is a Diesel Manual Innova Crysta in the GX variant
Since its a Innova if you start your process now you will get your vehicle after all the waves are finished. I booked mine 4 months back and I am yet to get the vehicle. There is always some strike or maintenance or lockdown, something or the other. The latest news now is that they are actually sanitizing their Bidadi plant since 2 days.

I don't know how true it is but Toyota folks here in Hyderabad unofficially told me that there is a 6 month waiting period and that's because all these new Safaris, Harriers, Alcazars etc have been priced so high and so close to the Innova that people are actually starting to feel the Innova as a VFM product.

And don't sell you Innova before getting the new vehicle in your hand. I sold my Hexa and now paying the price by driving one of my store manager's Activa.
krishnakarthik1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th June 2021, 18:27   #87
BHPian

Since past two years I have been itching to get a new compact SUV. Even convincing myself that my 2013 VW Vento is long on tooth and not suitable for my ageing parents. Started looking at all the options and zeroed in on X1 and Volvo Xc40. Took the test drives, worked the finances and was in the full day dream mode. Then the lockdown hit us all.

Obviously being a salaried person, all my non essential purchases were put aside, considering there was bad news all around. The whole year made me really rethink what was essential. In came a new fridge, a/c and vacuum cleaner. Out went the day dream to upgrade the car. And not because the finances were hit... oh no, I could have managed it (but would have been really tight) but because it gave me time to think about my current ride with a pragmatic brain mode switched on. I spent a good amount on the Vento to replace the suspension, bushing, the electrical wiring for the steering, replace the ABS sensors and get all new tires. Even got a 3M package for polishing and wax. She was like blushing like a new girlfriend ask so was i.

On the opening of roads after the first lockdown, we drove to Mahabeleshwar and back for couple days (bad idea as I came back with covid), the car...she performed like a dream. The love for Vento was rekindled. And genuinely my parents were still with the car. All the reasons for the upgrade were just in my head. I reckon Vento will serve us for another 3-5 years or even more if I take care of her properly unless something in my life really changes.

I still do lust for the XC40 or some swanky new design with modern amenities and I allow my self to day dream a bit; but in terms of my needs, 2013 Vento still exceeds them. And looks sexy too. (I suppose this logic may apply to all husbands as well)

all I needed was to reset my thinking. Point is, do you really need a new car? just don't ask yourself, but sleep on it for a while and think from pragmatic point of view.
click is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th June 2021, 15:12   #88
BHPian

I feel if the car is not going to be used much, we can wait. You don’t want the new car to just be parked most of the time.

At least i am in this situation, and of course i don’t like most of the vehicles in the market right now. I wish i could custom build my car from borrowing great things from various cars

That, and my T-jet still edges out what is available.
nandadevieast is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2021, 16:14   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakarthik1 View Post
The latest news now is that they are actually sanitizing their Bidadi plant since 2 days.

I don't know how true it is but Toyota folks here in Hyderabad unofficially told me that there is a 6 month waiting period and that's because all these new Safaris, Harriers, Alcazars etc have been priced so high and so close to the Innova that people are actually starting to feel the Innova as a VFM product.
Yes the Bidadi plant is undergoing sanitization,

Toyota considers it’s dealer partners across the country as the first customers rather than people who eventually buy those cars. So Toyota in such conditions never sends inventory that will put unnecessary burden on the dealerships, unlike other manufacturers. Hence the low factory dispatch numbers to dealerships, this was seen last lockdown, this lockdown and the month before GST implementation took place as well.

And regarding your last point that’s pretty true! People have all along been complaining about Innova’s less equipment levels and took the most important factor ie. space for granted. The Alcazar, Safari and Hector Plus may have more equipment in them but they miss on the most important factor which is space, the main reason to buy these cars!
CEF_Beasts is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th June 2021, 17:48   #90
BHPian

It is pragmatic to postpone the decision. I have a 2019 X1 which I bought in November that year and thanks to the multiple waves , it has hardly done any miles. It has become a show piece in my garage. In the meanwhile I sold my 12-13 year old SX4 which was running in absolutely good condition 2 weeks ago and I will not purchase a replacement until the end of this year or next year. It does no good to have something sitting idle in the garage. Good luck!
shiva75 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks