Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2020, 19:37   #76
BHPian

Re: Is a Petrol CVT suitable for driving on steep hills?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
No automatic car will upshift while going up the steep inclines, I have never seen one upshifting until the favorable speed is reached.

In DSG equipped cars, you will notice this love for upshifting (Hexa too does it). What happens is, the car shifts up, soon the ECU detects the loss of momentum, and immediately a downshift is done.
Hi VKumar,
True, that's exactly what I was saying, that if you sort of accelerate and hit a desired speed, it might up-shift / downshift on hilly terrain where there is a constant change in speed and inclination and load, thus leading to the engine being under additional stress.

What I was recommending in my earlier post was to just keep a light foot and try maintaining a constant lower speed. That way, the engine is also under less stress and the ECU is not going to keep trying to up-shift or downshift. I thought this approach would be easier / better on the life of the engine + gearbox.

Hope that made sense.

Last edited by nikhilarni : 20th April 2020 at 19:39.
nikhilarni is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 13:22   #77
BHPian

Was it a City Diesel?

Edit:
My bad, So it was a Petrol, as the thread is about that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
Hello Singh saab, welcome on board. I have no experience of the Seltos or Hyundai CVT cars; but can share my experience of driving a Honda City CVT all the way from Gurgaon to Gangotri, with 4 adults, one kid and a LOT of luggage in the boot.

Last edited by nandadevieast : 12th October 2020 at 13:26.
Old 3rd March 2021, 02:35   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guessme View Post
I own a Seltos IVT. I have been to mussoorie and to a spot (don't remember the name) where the slopes were even steeper with 5 adults. As far as I have observed mussoorie's slopes are much steeper than Shimla and many others.

It performed extremely well and even though there is no hill assist in the car there was no rolling back in start stop traffic while going up. The car performed much better than even manual for that matter. I never felt that it has to struggle to go up. I tried in manual mode too but found auto mode was better as you dont need to think about which gear the car did that job perfectly.

You won't regret your decision with Seltos IVT in my opinion.

My uncle is looking for a SUV in the range of 12L to 20L.Since his yearly usage will be around 4000 KM's that to in City, I suggested him the Seltos CVT petrol. Can you please share the service cost, performance & fuel efficiency figure, front seat comfort (he has a big and wide body frame) etc.

Regard
Old 24th April 2022, 18:16   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neelanjan View Post
My uncle is looking for a SUV in the range of 12L to 20L.Since his yearly usage will be around 4000 KM's that to in City, I suggested him the Seltos CVT petrol. Can you please share the service cost, performance & fuel efficiency figure, front seat comfort (he has a big and wide body frame) etc.

Regard
So last year, after a lot of research I bought the Nissan Kicks 1.3 Turbo CVT Premium model. Traded in my 14 1/2 yrs old Civic manual for a decent buyback price. After 1 year and about 7k kms, I am very happy with my decision, It is a solid mini SUV with good space, nice ride quality. The only negative is the lack of internal storage pockets in the front section - other than the door pockets and the cooled glove compartment, there is only one "tub" in front of the gear stick for keeping your belongings - no coin box and no storage under the handiest. So if your uncle can live with that - frankly I have gotten used to it by now - then it is a fine vehicle and at a very good price point. Not sure of the resale value - but I keep my cars for 10 to 15 yrs so by that time resale value does not really matter :-) Oh, and mileage in bumper to bumper traffic 60% and 40% open city roads with AC on is about 10.5 kmpl On the highway, 13 to 15 kmpl is easily possible with a light foot.
avsroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2022, 22:09   #80
Senior - BHPian

A torque converter or CVT is probably the best transmission for a small turbo petrol engine in a stressful situation from an engineering standpoint. The infinite ratios will let it stay in its powerband on varying inclines without melting the clutch like in a dual clutch transmission. It would also be better than a manual transmission where you would struggle to find the perfect gear and you will either have to be one gear too low where it over revs or one gear too high where it's about to stall. Granted, a diesel would probably be a way better choice due to the higher torque at low rpms.

Last edited by Cresterk : 24th April 2022 at 22:11.
Cresterk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2022, 06:36   #81

Hi All,

I own a 9 year old GT TSI which has been superb both in city and hills as well. However its been given mechatronics issues of late and perhaps gear box issues too.
Hence considering other cars as options ( factoring in inclined planes / hilly areas ) to drive, but Automatic cars only. Suggestions are welcome for top 3 preferably hatchback / sedan

Best regards
Vignesh
vgzmenon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2023, 22:39   #82

Bumped into this thread to investigate after my Honda Elevate CVT test drive. On a moderate slope - on a city flyover, here is what I experienced - Once the vehicle is stationary, releasing the break, without any throttle input causes the CVT to roll back. I experienced it on Honda Elevate and Honda City in the recent test drives.

I did not face this in a TC (VW Virtus) on the same spot - the vehicle crept forward. I was specifically testing this functionality for stop and go traffic on the flyover. My Honda Civic and Ecosport (both AT) always crept forward and in the worst condition (steep incline) remained stationary on releasing the break, there was not even an inch of roll back.
CVT seems to be ruled out for now just for this reason for me.
s_08 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2023, 06:35   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_08 View Post
Bumped into this thread to investigate after my Honda Elevate CVT test drive. On a moderate slope - on a city flyover, here is what I experienced - Once the vehicle is stationary, releasing the break, without any throttle input causes the CVT to roll back. I experienced it on Honda Elevate and Honda City in the recent test drives.

I did not face this in a TC (VW Virtus) on the same spot - the vehicle crept forward. I was specifically testing this functionality for stop and go traffic on the flyover. My Honda Civic and Ecosport (both AT) always crept forward and in the worst condition (steep incline) remained stationary on releasing the break, there was not even an inch of roll back.
CVT seems to be ruled out for now just for this reason for me.
You can apply the hand brake to mitigate this? It is still better than having to juggle amongst 3 pedals and a lever.
Old 20th November 2023, 07:26   #84
BHPian

Quote:
On a moderate slope - on a city flyover, here is what I experienced - Once the vehicle is stationary, releasing the break, without any throttle input causes the CVT to roll back. I experienced it on Honda Elevate and Honda City in the recent test drives.
That means the hill hold assist feature of Hondas does not work ?
NICHE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2023, 08:27   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
You can apply the hand brake to mitigate this? It is still better than having to juggle amongst 3 pedals and a lever.
Yes, certainly better than 2 pedals, but when compared to older AT or DSG, CVT fails on this (critical for me) aspect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICHE View Post
That means the hill hold assist feature of Hondas does not work ?
It holds it ground momentarily before rolling back, not sure if thats the intended feature. The other AT cars would just stick to the road and patiently wait for throttle input.

Last edited by graaja : 20th November 2023 at 08:50. Reason: Merging back to back posts. Please use Multiquote option
Old 20th November 2023, 11:27   #86
BHPian

I think there might be a problem with that specific Honda car. It's more to do with the auto hold function rather than CVT per se. I've got a Renault Kiger CVT and it at least holds its position in the steepest of inclines with full load. Never had a problem with the car rolling back.
Old 21st November 2023, 11:00   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomyboy View Post
I think there might be a problem with that specific Honda car. It's more to do with the auto hold function rather than CVT per se. I've got a Renault Kiger CVT and it at least holds its position in the steepest of inclines with full load. Never had a problem with the car rolling back.
Could be a problem with Honda - i test drove 2 of them.

An automatic should not roll back on releasing break, it should continuously increase power till the time it creeps forward - isn't this how these things supposed to work ? Unless I've got it all wrong !
Old 21st November 2023, 12:00   #88
BHPian

Quote:
An automatic should not roll back on releasing break, it should continuously increase power till the time it creeps forward - isn't this how these things supposed to work ? Unless I've got it all wrong !
Speaking for Nissan CVTs, this is a characteristic of the CVT transmission in order to prevent the CVT's steel drive-belt from slipping during hard acceleration.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks