Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: How did you sell your last car?
Dealer/broker 121 23.73%
Individual / via online classifieds 239 46.86%
Exchanged for a new car 139 27.25%
Other 11 2.16%
Voters: 510. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2020, 16:27   #46
BHPian

Re: How did you sell your last vehicle - Dealer / Direct / Exchange?

When I was looking for a buyer for my Alto 800(Punjab Registration) which was with me in Bangalore the common statement I heard was "Get a NOC and then we will see"

Getting the NOC itself was a challenge especially when the vehicle is not present in the state in which it's registered.

I gave a shot and got the vehicle inspected by Cars24 and voila I got a buyer who was in Punjab and ready to buy the vehicle.

I got a decent price and the vehicle was transported to Punjab from Bangalore by Cars24 and within 3 months the RC got transferred as well.

I did not have to run pillar to post for getting the NOC and all. So for me, it was a bargain.

To verify their claim that the vehicle will be sold in Punjab I told them that I will not give then the Road Tax receipts which i paid here in Bangalore to which they agreed.
Old 17th June 2020, 16:50   #47
BHPian

Scenario 1 ) - Pune

2018 and its time to sell off my second hand beat because Honda Amaze was ready to come home. It was a super well maintained beat with new tyres, battery and wipers. I always believed that take care of your car and she will take care of me on highways. Anyways Honda Dealer in Pune offered me 40K and simply walked off from the showroom. Went to another dealer and he said 50K but insult to my car. I went to cars24 and they offered 70K. Posted ad on quickr and OLX and invited useless brokers. Finally sold it for 1.25 lac with proper documentation to one of my colleague. He saw the car and fell in love with it.

Scenario 2) - Jammu
Its time to bring Baleno home in 2019 but zen estilo was using our garage space. It was in terrible condition but had clocked only 40k KMs. Sold to true value for 1.25 lac + 15K bonus. Honestly, the car had issues with doors, lights, engine leakages, paint peeling off and locks. Happy with the deal
Rajat347 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 16:57   #48

Uncanny timing. Just sold my 9 year old i20 today afternoon, came back home heartbroken to find this post. Her ODO read 99890 kms, I was really looking forward to see her cross the 100K mark.
I had no plans whatsoever to sell her, and was hoping to keep her for another 5 years at least, but was forced to.

Recently noticed that the AC was being cutoff after an hour of use, and she was hesitant to start and took a few rounds of keying nowadays. Found that there was no coolant whatsoever, so I filled her up and drove a good 100kms, only to find that there was no coolant left the next day. There were no leaks as such, so I took her to the service Center. I was later informed that there was a pressure drop in the engine and the gasket might be broken, so would require extensive engine repairs. The service manager being a close of friend, told me to sell
her off because I wasn’t using her much anyway and didn’t make sense to spend so much on the car to barely use it. I was quoted 2 lakh for the almost 1 lakh KM run car in exchange for a Creta.
Wasn’t excited ( the overly futuristic styling has started growing on me, but it dint feel like an upgrade ). So took her to KIA, test drove the Seltos and felt it was very carish. Headed straight to TATA, to see the BS6 Harrier, ( it was love at first when they launched her last year, but the thought of buying a manual didn’t make any sense then). Test drove the XZA+, told them I would volk the car and take the delivery at the earliest provided they give me 3 lakhs for i20. They made a few calls, checked the records, and settled for 2.75 lakhs + 25K exchange bonus which made it 3 lakhs. I could’ve opted to put her up on Olx, but then I didn’t want some innocent guy to suffer for a 10% better price.

All this happened in less than 36 hours. It felt like betraying her. She took such good care of me, protected me fiercely from my wreckless 20ish self. I felt like crying, but then I’ve learned to let to go of things and people, and be Zen about it. Still, she will be missed.

Last edited by ajmat : 17th June 2020 at 19:01. Reason: typo
RR1108 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 17:09   #49

Voted for "Exchanged for a new car"

I am most comfortable taking this option and I have been successful in doing so on my previous 2 new car purchases. I also believe that with some research I was able to get a reasonably good exchange value for the old cars and of-course the ease of doing the paperwork.
Old 17th June 2020, 17:12   #50
BHPian

Sad to hear that! Yes parting with your car which has stayed on for almost 10 years will be difficult for anyone. Moreover in your case this was an unexpected parting I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR1108 View Post
Headed straight to TATA, to see the BS6 Harrier, ( it was love at first when they launched her last year, Test drove the XZA+, told them I would volk the car and take the delivery at the earliest.
Congratulations on your new HARRIER which is an awesome car to own. I am from Kozhikode and I'd definitely ask for a drive once you get it home.
Old 17th June 2020, 17:48   #51
BHPian

Have sold to individual, dealer and cars24

Cars 24 was the worst experience. Won't do it again. Had to waste my time in chasing them for transfer. Was in a hurry so sold it even for a low offer. What I also didn't like is them telling fake stories at that time that we dont take commission, etc. And their spam calls are really annoying.

Local dealer was a better experience than individual as the later requires a lot of haggling and being available round the clock to show car
Old 17th June 2020, 17:57   #52

For me dealers have been hassle free experience despite a few thousands lower price.
Esteem- Sold through Dealer
Accent- Exchanged at Ford for Figo
Figo- Exchanged at Hyundai for Verna
Old 17th June 2020, 18:56   #53
BHPian

The first car I bought was a second hand Premier Padmani - I used it for about a year or so. The day after I got it done-up my Uncle came to my house and just bought it off me even before you could say pretty please! and drove it away.
the second vehicle too was a second hand Gypsy. That too was bought off by a friends, friend!
The third was also a Gypsy-King bought brand new- (I had a really hard time getting it in the colour of my choice(Olive Green)! Twice Maruti returned my money!(but that's another story). -One day in office a person approaches me -with cash in hand and bought off the vehicle!
Next up was a Ford Fusion, -used it for 6 years - again the nephew of a close friend bought it off, even before I had decided to sell.
I've had my XUV since Nov 2011, and have no plans to sell!
Meantime - bought a second hand Zen for daughter to learn - that too was sold off via word of mouth, and now she has a Hundai i10.
My Honda Dio too was bought by a know person!

Last edited by Gerardfdz : 17th June 2020 at 19:03.
Old 17th June 2020, 19:13   #54
Senior - BHPian

My last two cars:

1. Honda City via OLX (the app), the first person who came to see the car bought it. He gave me a cheque and went away without a receipt or any proof at all. He came to collect the car and papers when I called him after the cheque cleared. It was the easiest sale of all time.

2. Maruti Ignis Petrol AMT via OLX, Cash my Car. A little troublesome but got the bank transfer by end of day.

Cheers
Old 17th June 2020, 19:25   #55
BHPian

6 months back I was in market looking to sell my 3 years old TUV.

I booked appointment at Cars24 first, visited their showroom and they took a good 1 hour for valuation. They quoted 5.5 lakhs. I laughed and walked away. They kept calling me from next day and went up to 6.3 lakhs but no promises made. I declined their offer and went to Carsdekho.

Worst experience at Carsdekho, they were unprofessional and filled with attitude. Crappy customer service. They valuated the car, but did not share the quotation stating they will not share value until I share for how much I want to sell. I gave them a piece of my mind and left. Logged a complaint online and they followed up after few days. The same guy called and this time lost his attitude. Offered me 5 lakhs, which I declined immediately and informed them that "Even if you quote 8 lakhs, I will never sell to you".

Went to M&M showroom to enquire on exchange offers, they SA suggested to sell online on OLX as he said they offer very bad rates.

Went to Hyundai showroom, they offered 6 lakhs. Then posted online and one person was interested for 7 lakhs. However, I didnt sell it

Lesson learnt - Always sell online.
Old 17th June 2020, 19:36   #56
BHPian

This was a rather long time back (5 years), but I remember having a very pleasant experience with CARS24 while selling my Alto. The process with regards to the initial test drive, bidding, sale, cash transfer and ownership transfer were smooth sailing. The price they offer is also rather competitive, however the main USP of CARS24 is a hassle free sale.

I heard that they have a doorstep test drive option now and have begun selling their own pre-owned cars. (It wasn’t there back then)

I hope that the overall experience remains the same, as I am looking forward to selling my present car to them as well in the near future.
Old 17th June 2020, 19:48   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Let me share my experiences, since I dealt with almost all the channels mentioned above.

Car - October 2018 Ford EcoSport (Falkor)
Variant - 1.5L Trend
Price bought - 8.24L ex-showroom, 9.40L OTR. (paid fully by my company)

Actual ex-showroom price back then was 8.55L, but we got it for that special price under Ford's corporate scheme for company leased cars.

(I let go of my promotion & career afterwards, and paid back the full amount. Car got free of company leasing. But that's another story.)

Now, when the need for a bigger car loomed up in my family, I put Falkor up for sale.

This decision was taken in the first week of March.

IDV for 2nd year - 7,05,119/-.

Decided to pursue the broker channels + dealership channels first.

1) Through a broker (out of 4-5 brokers, after running after them for a month) - "Ford cars don't sell well, sir. Best and final offer I can give you from a customer is 6 lakhs. Not a paisa more."

2) Dealer from whom bought the new car in 2018 (after 2 months of constant calls) - "Sir, I shall get back to you."

3) Local dealership where car was serviced (after 2 months of regular calls) - "Sir, I will contact you."

4) Online classifieds - Didn't go there, though debated for putting it up on OLX.

5) Exchange process for new car - Maruti True Value quoted 5.78 lakhs, Mahindra First Choice quoted 5.44 lakhs.

All this happened till the first week of May.

6) Thereafter, I decided to forward my car's pics to all my contacts, saying that I am asking for 7.8 lakhs, and just waited. Patiently.

Last week of May, a contact called back saying that he had a genuinely interested buyer. He was willing to come over, check the car out thoroughly, and negotiate.

They came, the guy drove the car, negotiations happened but mostly on my terms, they paid 50,000/- in advance as surety.

One week later, they paid the rest via cash + RTGS and picked up the car.

Final price at which Falkor was let go = 7.5 lakhs. (on 7th June, ODO at ~11,500 kms)

Lesson - be patient and you will be rewarded fairly.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 17th June 2020 at 19:49.
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 19:58   #58
BHPian

Mentioning our cars' sales that I personally witnessed. Don't remember about 70s, 80s and early 90s ones as I was born in 1992.
I will ask my dad about the earlier ones and will post. It will be good for my knowledge as well.

In 1997 - 1992 Maruti 800 - sold for Rs. (?) at (?) kms to dad's friend from whom he bought it used.
In 2005 - 1994 Maruti 1000 AC - sold for Rs 60,000 at 1,30,000 kms to my Chacha ji. Targeting to buy it back this year.
In 2009 - 2004 Maruti 800 AC BSII - sold for Rs 1,00,000 at 95,000 kms to a dealer. Tried exchanging with a new Ritz but Maruti True Value quoted less. Maruti's salesman called his known dealer and he offered us a fair deal.
In 2018 - 2009 Ritz VDi - sold for Rs 2,13,000 at 1,67,000 kms to brother of my dad's friend. He bought it unseen, trusting his brother.

Last edited by PSM_360 : 17th June 2020 at 20:03. Reason: missed some data in post
Old 17th June 2020, 23:08   #59
BHPian

I sold my previous car on Cars24.
My new car purchase happened all of a sudden. Had very little time to sell the car by myself. Also added advantage of quick money on Cars24 as I could use that money for down payment.
At the end of it, I might have got 60-70k extra for my Rapid TDI had I sold it myself. But in hindsight, it was fine as it saved me from the hassle of selling, hassle of ownership change and helped me with instant payment which I used for down payment of my new car
Old 17th June 2020, 23:10   #60
BHPian

Simply love selling/buying online. Have had a few bad experiences dealing with dealers, so I always avoid that route.

Car#1 2005: Sold at a big loss to a dealer friend. Realized much later that I have been duped.

Car#2 2009: Sold via Carwale.com

Car#3 2012: Sold via Carwale.com

Car#4 2017: Sold via OLX

Car#5 2017: Sold via OLX

Car#6 2018: Sold via OLX

In every case except Car#1, I got the RC transferred to the buyer's name before handing over the delivery.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks